Smokey and the Bandit II 1980 ★★½

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

First saw Smokey and the Bandit just a few months ago at the Alamo Drafthouse with director Hal Needham in attendance. While it wasn't my kind of film, I had a good deal of fun with it. I met Hal that morning after a screening of The Villain, so knowing what kind of a person he was definitely put me in the mindset of the film.
I understand why they made a sequel, and while the ante was upped in terms of crashing cars and theatrics, the scenes where Bandit dealt with fame and his increased narcissism turned me off of Reynolds. I also didn't buy that Frog would return to Junior after her time with Bandit. Dom DeLuise was amusing enough as the Italian doctor, though from what I've heard it's only an appetizer compared to his later work with Reynolds. I know I shouldn't complain, but I wish they'd had at least one scene dealing with Charlotte the elephant's need to eat/drink and use the restroom. I'm sure they could have incorporated a giant pile of elephant shit into a gag with Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
I'll check out SatBP3 sometime in the future, but I'll admit that I'd rather watch Gleason playing the Bandit instead of Jerry Reed.

Comment?

Please to comment.