Hatchet 2006 ★★½

A slasher tribute that wholeheartedly embraces every trash element within the sub-genre. Writer-director Adam Green loses himself in substance-less violence and far too easy camp. He does succeed at the lost-and-now-found classic feel, but that doesn't make it any better than it is. I can easily assume that just about every slasher fan will love this affectionate surge of nostalgia, and I guess that's where my dissatisfaction stems from; I've never been a huge fan of them - excluding true greats such as Halloween (1978), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) etc...But what they have that most don't, very much including this one, is a distinctive, impressive style that elevates them beyond senseless, pointlessly meticulous violence. Whether it be deceptively warming us up to the characters, creating a terrifying atmosphere, or simply just utilizing a directional and/or visual style, all of that is what a horror film in general needs to be special. Adam Green gives us a group of characters, most either annoying or unlikeable, then throws them into the woods setting, which has been exhausted since the mid-80s, and then has a field day with his disgustingly grotesque villain. The only times there are any surges of stylish energy that are genuinely impressive is when the gore flies. I consider myself a pretty strong horror fan, but I'm just more picky than most, so I expect to have plenty of disagreement on this one.

1 Comment

• I'm definitely not the biggest slasher movie fanatic (I actually hate most of the ones that a lot of horror fans label as classics), but I really like this movie. Just so much trashy fun. Gory as hell too. I thought Green succeeded marvelously at what he was doing.

Please to comment.