The Amazing Spider-Man 2012 ★★★★½

F***in aye.

A movie about a man that turns into a lizard, and a man who has the traits of a spider, and the most unbelievable part was that he was using Bing as his search engine.

I rewatched the Toby Maguire Spider-man movies - well the first two at least - just as a sort of a 'bar setting' reminder of what the movies were. And as opposed to when I first saw them, I hated them. Except for Doc Oc, which I think was done really well, the movies were not what I remembered.

THIS has severely reset the bar as a result. Streets ahead of the previous attempts, and an amazing film in its own right. Garfield and Stone are great on their own and perfect together, nailing the awkward, uneasy flirting be it intentional or on purpose. I'm a fan of Rhys Ifans, and he really brought his A-game here. I would've liked to have seen Dennis Leary get his hands a bit dirtier, but he's great nonetheless.

I have to give a hat tip to the science in general in the movie. It's not a big ask for me to suspend my disbelief in a Spider-man and a Lizard-man if you can keep the rest of the world reasonably in check, and I feel like an extra effort was put into the characters existence, Spider-mans general 'spider-ness' in particular.

All in all, a stirling effort for a reboot. These certainly aren't a 'Nolan-esque' dark revival, but are certainly more in that ball park than any other.

Comment?

Please to comment.