In Bruges 2008 ★★★★★

I'd been meaning to watch this film for a while - years, in fact - but I never got around to it. I finally remembered it a couple of days ago, and got hold of it. I immediately regretted not watching it sooner. It doesn't even feel like a comedy, it started off very melancholy with just a pinch of dark humour. It had its wildly comedic scenes, but they weren't done in the sort of surreal, decidedly unrealistic way most comedies employ.
And the rest of the time it was incredibly moving, very much thanks to the score by Carter Burwell. The scenery of Bruges was also breathtaking. It is a film whose only flaw was that it didn't last longer.
It also was surprisingly frank about gore. It wasn't exploited or excessive - just very realistic and the movie was completely not shy about what happens to bodies when they get shot or fall off towers.

1 Comment

• I had never even seen the trailer, so I didn't know what to expect. Well, I sort of expected a colourful crime-comedy from the poster, but nothing out of the ordinary. And it turned out to be so so great and original, I was sad it took me 4 years to discover it!
    And yes, the ending was really something :)

Please to comment.