Saving Mr. Banks 2013 ½

Patronizing, terrifying, sexist, saccharine, tedious... evil, really! This is a movie about a woman being manipulated and beaten down over two lethargically paced hours by a rich, whimsical man and his corporate machine until finally, finally he unlocks her psyche and she gives in. Every character in this is one-dimensional, granted a single trait or explanatory secret. Every conversation is premised on the laziest kind of historical irony and the assumption that Mary Poppins in its finished form is the greatest thing mankind has ever wrought. Fuck this movie. This is roughly how I expect Oceania's Ministry of Truth would adapt 1984.

9 Comments

• "the assumption that Mary Poppins in its finished form is the greatest thing mankind has ever wrought."

Yeah, this is a weird thing to assume, right? I mean, the movie has some nostalgic charm and Julie Andrews is cool and all...but surely people recognize it's kind of a staid, overlong bore, right? Right?

• NOPE ITS MERE EXISTENCE IS A MIRACLE AND IT'S GIVEN CLOSURE TO ALL CHILDREN OF BAD FATHERS EVERYWHERE

• But they sing "Let's go fly a kite" and she's "happy" and everything

• "This is roughly how I expect Oceania's Ministry of Truth would adapt 1984." - This is the best line ever. And totally encapsulates my opinion of the film even though I hadn't been able to put it all together until reading this.

• I wish I could resurrect Travers from the dead so she could bitch slap everyone involved with this film...and then encourage her enraged corpse to take a major dump on Walt Disney's cryogenically frozen head.

• Looks like someone found a thesaurus

• lol which word there would've required a thesaurus? "fuck"?

• Thank YOU for saying exactly what I feel about this movie.

• Too bad that is exactly what happened in spite of the resulting film being the indisputable masterpiece of family entertainment that it is. Walt Disney's whimsical nature was indeed an image that people over-digested, and he had to screw over Travers in the end to make the movie, yet I cannot say that I agree that this film is not good. I find it to be very honest, and almost brutally realistic considering this is Disney making a movie about a Dsney movie. It could have hid or softened so many truths rather than just one (Travers' reaction to the film), but it still makes for a strong Rorschach test of storytelling. On one hand, it can indeed be a brutal comment on how no matter what an artist will do to preserve integrity, the corporate machine will still win somehow. On the other, it is a very adult observation of a troubled pre-production with passive-aggressive backstabbing that still made a masterpiece in spite of it.

Please to comment.