Reviewed Jul 16, 2012
Bradley Baker’s review:
- The suit? I like it better than the previous versions. And totally dig the mechanical web shooters versus the biological ones.
- Parker cries a lot. Parker gets emotional a lot. Must be teenage hormones.
- Best Aunt May and Uncle Ben so far.
- Ok, the basketball scene was horrible. Real bad.
- HUGE Denis Leary fan - way to go ASSHOLE! Now go plug Burn.
- So the big question, too soon to reboot? Who cares. They did it. It's a moot point. Real question is: which one is better? This one is. Garfield is a better Peter Parker in my opinion. He's easier to buy as a teenager and he embodies the smart ass side of Spidey pretty well. Stone is good, but Dunst sucks anyway so it was no contest. The villain choice was much smarter - no need to start with the Goblin, ease him into it. I like darker takes on comics, even Spiderman which is traditional not the darkest story. So I appreciated Marc Webb making this a bit more Dark Knighty. The action sequences are shot well and the pacing is good. Not overdone on origin story, but doesn't leave anything unresolved. I don't think Spiderman is ever going to be Amazing (pun intended) on the big screen but I think this is about as good as he is going to get.