Margin Call 2011 ★★★★

It may be as much due to personal empathetic aspects as to the film itself, but I teared up—and not just a little bit—in a movie about goddamn stock trading. That's something. That's really something.

11 Comments

• This is perhaps one of Spacey's finest performances. Such understated nuance in everything he does in this film.

• Despite being one of my favourite actors already, he managed to blow me away here. Chandor had so many shots of just his face in profile, and he managed to out-act the rest of the cast in those alone. A brilliant performance, shame it didn't attract much awards notice. That's the ensemble problem I guess.

• I loved Irons as well in this. That final dinner scene. The dialogue there is so strong, much like in the rest of the film.

• Every scene between Spacey and Irons had me enthralled, especially the last one. Irons is so weirdly charming and yet utterly slimy. I struggle to imagine anyone else playing that role.

• I did enjoy it, though it didn't have the same impact on me as a film like Inside Job did.

• Ha, I briefly got confused between that and Inside Man just there and wondered where the hell that comparison came from. Never saw Inside Job, should perhaps get on that.

• You really should! It's one of my favorite films. It's absolutely fantastic.

• I should say though, it goes into far more technical detail than Margin Call does. It's a little alienating at first but gets better.

• While I liked that Margin Call focused more on the humanity of it, and I don't think being clearer would have improved it, I can't say I had much of a clue what the hell anyone was talking about. I'd be interested in Inside Job for that reason alright, I'm totally ignorant on just about all economic concepts.

• Oh I definitely agree, its simplicity works. It's also rather neutral to the causes of the crash as well. It's not very provocative in terms of the politics behind it. Inside Job is.

Yet I think a sense of humanity also arises from Inside Job as well, one that feels much more real than Margin Call in one way. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it!

Please to comment.