Take This Waltz 2012 ★★★★

Take This Waltz is one of those films that if you don’t find anything/anyone to relate to, then you won’t really enjoy it. Without the engagement that I felt I wouldn’t have appreciated it nearly as much, but it was constantly tugging on my heart-strings and I thought about it for days after first watching it.

Michelle Williams is one of my favourite actresses and her performance here is exceptional, as always. As the main reason I wanted to watch this film at all, her role in this anti-romance also meant that it was only too easy to compare this film to Blue Valentine, in which she starred alongside Ryan Gosling in 2011. Being able to make these comparisons so early on is what opens up the flaws to this film, not quite having the same raw emotion and character depth that Blue Valentine was brilliant for. Nevertheless, Take This Waltz is still a very heart-felt story as it looks at the more realistic come down of a relationship rather than the happy-ever-after’s we never seem to find (Yes, I’m a pessimist when it comes to love).

With the engaging story line being the film’s biggest quality, there were a few parts to the story that I felt were misplaced, mainly the “sex montage” at the end. Whilst the cinematography was constantly aesthetically appealing, in this scene especially, the montage of the character’s new lives together just didn’t fit with the rest of the film. This is where the story line took a bit of a wrong turn, but it does finally come back together in the end.

Whilst I can see the flaws that this film has, it was, again, the effect that this film had on me that made me see it as more than average. With a witty script and a couple of stunning moments, namely the fairground scenes, this is one of the films that stuck out most for me last year, although it is far from the best.