Boogie Nights 1997 ★★★★½

Boogie Nights is an American classic but Anderson was still honing his craft. He's young, he's coked up and he prays at the altars of Scorsese and Altman. He had to get the restlessness out of him. Develop his own groove within the framework of his idols level of storytelling, and this rise and fall saga came together perfectly in scope, character and setting. Magnolia would showcase the Altman influence more strongly and I think it's with Punch Drunk-Love that he truly inhabited an unparalleled directing style and then hit Mount Everest with There Will Be Blood.

Boogie Nights transports you to the 70s and 80s and you're living it. I get wrapped up in the lifestyle every time. Mark Wahlberg... what a bold choice for 1997.

3 Comments

• It's hard for me to pick between this and TWBB for PTA's best film. I think artistically, TWBB wins, hands down. The music, cinematography, directing, acting...just absolutely top-notch.

But I very much prefer this as a story.

• I think this might actually be my 4th favorite after his 3 more recent ones. I think PTA is only getting better with each film.

• Great review Colin! I've just seen Boogie Nights now and it's my 4th favorite as well. I agree he only gets better and better after this! Now I only need to get my hands on Hard Eight and finish my PTA journey.

Please to comment.