Hanna 2011 ★★

"I just missed your heart." Hanna

Quirky, stylish, and brutal, Hanna starts with a bang and ends with a fizzle. Which is unfortunate, since the premise held quite a bit of potential. It’s sort of like a modern fairy tale, with a gutsy child doing her best to battle the strange, violent world she’s been tossed into against her will. Saoirse Ronan – a talented young actress if I ever saw one – delivers a fine performance, but in all honesty, she’s really the only thing good about this film. The pacing is overly frenetic, the leaps in logic are many (even for a fairy tale), and the narrative flow… well, the narrative is there, but the flow must’ve been mugged and murdered in a dark alley, ’cause it’s nowhere to be found. Then there’s the action: following fight sequence after derivative fight sequence, I started to think I was watching Jason Bourne: Female Empowerment Edition. To top it all off, the ending is downright lame: a violent, vengeful, and unsatisfying mess that fails to resolve much of anything. Do not, for the love of all that is sane, give this movie to an already depressed person – it might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

Rated PG-13 for Violence, some sexual material, and brief language. Not recommended.

Comment?

Please to comment.