Not the subtlest film in the world and chock-full of clichés, the most obv being the "washed up coach that no one believes in but THE SCRIPTWRITER, THE DIRECTOR AND BASICALLY THE WHOLE AUDIENCE", not to mention the amazing "evil Nazi theme music" (it's brilliant. I kept waiting for someone to go "Hey Hans, do you hear that sinister music?" "Ja Fritz, I think maybe this is an evil sports stadium filled with brooding menace and we should leave immediately")…
Ah Grease. The original High School Musical!
Things that really stood out this time around:
-The actors are waaaaay too old to be high school students, even ones in their senior year
-Greased Lightning might well be the most machogay (an adjective I've just invented for situations where dudes are so MANLY that they end up falling in love with other dudes, cf Top Gun) dance number in existence. Danny LITERALLY rides an engine in it for goodness' sake.
This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
So, things we should learn from this film:
- never get a housemate while on the rebound
- never let your girlfriend go down on you until you have proof it actually is your girlfriend
- don't get a puppy if you live in a high rise (cats are fine though)
- if your friend is copying your style she may be trying to turn you into her literal twin
- Jennifer Jason Leigh is NOT, I repeat NOT, Ally…