I feel like this film, while not terrible, is just an extended Billy Joel music video. Featuring Bette Midler. Could have been better if it were a little longer I think - we'd have better motivations for why characters act the way they do. I did like how they updated Sykes and Fagin though, so there's that. Overall though, if you want a Disney movie with dogs in, then go for Lady & the Tramp or 101 Dalmatians.
My time watching this movie:
25%: feeling slightly guilty for crushing on young(ish) Harvey Keitel
25%: wishing someone actually would bust De Niro's kneecaps, seriously, good job on playing a really annoying character
25%: being amused by Harvey Keitel's constant air of "guys, seriously?"
25%: appreciating the soundtrack
This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
So, things we should learn from this film:
- never get a housemate while on the rebound
- never let your girlfriend go down on you until you have proof it actually is your girlfriend
- don't get a puppy if you live in a high rise (cats are fine though)
- if your friend is copying your style she may be trying to turn you into her literal twin
- Jennifer Jason Leigh is NOT, I repeat NOT, Ally…