Buffalo '66 1998 ★★★★

I had heard a lot about Vincent Gallo before seeing this. This is the first of his films I have seen. Everything that I had seen, heard and read did not put me in the position to enjoy this film.
However, this completely exceeded my expectations. It was self-indulgent, Vincent Gallo did seem narcissistic, it did look low budget - everything I thought was valid but for whatever reason I loved it. It all just worked so well together.
The style is interesting, doesn't always work, but when it does it's close to mind-blowing (almost literally during the end scene in the strip club).
One little problem that annoyed me throughout was Vincent Gallo's performance at times when he slipped into a weird kind of Woody Allen impression.
Other than that, the style was cool, loved the tap dancing scene, the Ben Gazzara song, the strip club scene and the whole movie.

6 Comments

• Everything that I had seen, heard and read did not put me in the position to enjoy this film. That about sums up Gallo's public persona.

• I think, having seen some of his films and browsing his website, he may be putting it on a little. Either way, he's a funny guy - intentionally or unintentionally.

• Oh wow I was just thinking about this movie yesterday. I love (love!) Buffalo '66. Gallo is an awesome asshole and Ricci a stunning submissive. Great movie that delivers way more depth and fun than I ever could have imagined!

• Have you guys checked out the 'merch' on his website?

• Yeah, I have two quarts of his semen in my fridge.

• Haha, that must have set you back a pretty penny.
    I've played some of his music on a radio show, Ear Vomit, I do about bad music. It's the kind of music you would expect from a man who would write this:
    "Potential clients are advised to screen the controversial scene from The Brown Bunny to be sure for themselves that they can fully accommodate all of me. Clients who have doubt may want to test themselves with an unusually thick and large prosthetic prior to meeting me. You may be surprised just how much you can handle and how good it feels."

Please to comment.