Cosmopolis 2012 ★★★★½

Like with Margaret, Cosmopolis is a film that reveals itself on multiple viewings. When I first saw it I failed to adapt to the film and as with evolution, you adapt or you die.
I still liked it and I admired Cronenberg's audacity for not giving a shit if you followed or even liked the film. My fault was to view the dialogue as an obstacle that lies between me and the plot. I realised too late on my first viewing that the dialogue is the plot.

Watching it again with this mindset I've bumped it up a half star and I was able to relax in the knowledge that not much action was going to happen. I could bask in the dialogue and look for the nuances. And sure enough I loved it. What at first felt detached and impenetrable became a little more accesible and I feel like I got much more from the film on second viewing.

Were it not for the octogenarian fucking selfish arrogant fucking fuckramps who decided to speak loudly over the final scene between Benno Levin and Eric Packer I feel I would have been able to focus on the dialogue and enjoy it as much as I did the other parts.
As it stands I would like to see it again and really pay attention during the final scene.

One scene and line of dialogue that really stuck out to me as ringing incredibly true and prescient (seeing as the book was written over a decade ago) is when Samantha Morton talks about how computers and technology in its current form is dying out. It's slowly becoming part of the fabric of our ever day existence. I had a similar thought months prior when I walked up to an automatic door and realised it was out of order. Now what? How do I exit the building? There was no other exit and people started amassing looking around sheepishly. Eventually we got out, but is that situation worth the minimal strain of opening a door that the electric door is saving us from?
Fridges with computers so you can surf the web while you cook, mobile cinema tickets where your telephone is scanned, electronic public transport tickets, everything is moving away from the tangible, manual and physical.

Cosmopolis is the most singular and lean film I have seen in a long time. Everything, every scene, every line, every action all works towards the greater meaning of the film.

I'm ready for round three.