Hellboy 2004 ★★★½

I have read a few of the Hellboy and BPRD comics – enough to know that this film captures their tone quite accurately. At his best, Hellboy walks a line between comedy, absurdity, and horror that have made him one of the most beloved characters in modern comics. He's Wolverine meets Ben Grimm meets Ghost Rider. Del Toro gets it. Ron Perelman, John Hurt, and Selma Blair get it. (and David Hyde Pearce is just distracting as the voice of Abe Sapien, but it’s not really his fault)

We get slimy immortal monsters, a creepy assassin who may or may not be clockwork, Rasputin back from the dead (or was he ever dead?), Nazis, kittens, and Jeffrey Tambor. What’s not to love? Even the 10-yr old CGI looks pretty good – especially when Liz goes all “flame on”.

The film might have been a half hour shorter. Some of the fight scenes dragged, and they were at times tough to follow. I could have done without the scenes of new kid Myers trying to chat up Liz, too -- we knew that wouldn't go anywhere. But apart from those nits, I’d be hard pressed to find anything to dislike about this wonderful genre picture.

Comment?

Please to comment.