The Invention of Lying 2009 ★★½

This review reportedly contains spoilers.
I can handle the truth.

This review reportedly contains spoilers.

I have to admit, the day I went to the big screen to see this movie, I was very excited. The first five minutes of the movie killed me however. I understand that in a world where nobody could lie, that people would always speak the truth, but I found it odd that the same people lacked one basic human emotion, SHAME. I walked out as soon as the woman at the start proudly exclaimed "I just took the biggest poop of my life!" While people aren't able to lie, that doesn't mean they wouldn't have tact or shame, they wouldn't proclaim these things as if they were as happy of a turd as their son graduating from college. I walked out and went to see Zombieland on the screen next to it instead.

I gave in last night and rented it from Blockbuster and finished the film. While I still feel like people in the film lack the obvious tact of any basic human being, I do feel I judged the movie to quickly. It is your typical run of the mill rom-com, but it has an amazing cast and the idea that people will just blurt out the most inane thoughts imaginable set up some of the funniest bits in the movie. I can't say I hated the film, but I sure didn't love it.