• tophermart

★★★½ Watched by tophermart 03 Jan, 2016

Got on a Harryhausen kick after Mysterious Island. Knew the iconic Ymir but never saw the film. Character animation was great. Another great looking transfer. Watched the color version, even though it looks goofy.

• denis bonetti

★★★ Watched by denis bonetti 22 Jan, 2016

Creature-feature da ricordare principalmente per due motivi: le creature di Harryhausen (nello specifico il gigante/lucertolone Ymir che se le suona pure con un elefante) e il setting italico, con la Sicilia e Roma e con tanto di carabinieri e militi che sparano al mostro su e giù per il Circo Massimo. Canovaccio simile a King Kong, finalone con duello sul Colosseo. Tutto il resto è ordinario.

• Keith Abt

★★ Added by Keith Abt

The first ever manned rocket to Venus crash-lands in the ocean near Italy upon its return to Earth, accidentally releasing a Venusian "specimen" which then menaces the Italian countryside. The U.S. and Italian military chase it around for a while before there's a final showdown at the Coliseum in Rome.

Cheesy '50s sci-fi fun that owes much to the original "King Kong," the story and acting are no great shakes but the old school stop motion creature effects by the great Ray Harryhausen are still cool as hell.

• Kim

★★★★ Watched by Kim 02 Jan, 2016

Cheesy fun and surprisingly good special effects. Mr. Nutpie DVR'd this from TCM as a surprise for me. I love a good monster.

• Carson Hearne

★★½ Added by Carson Hearne

Extremely fun popcorn movie. Pretty much all I have to say.

• Steve G

★★★ Watched by Steve G 20 Sep, 2015 10

Sunday Munch!

This was probably pretty good but to be honest I wasn't paying much attention because David Cameron put his cock in a dead pig's mouth.

• damug

★★★ Watched by damug 23 Aug, 2015

All this trouble because an Italian child needed a 200 lira hat from Texas.

• Tyler Featherstone

★★★½ Watched by Tyler Featherstone 17 Aug, 2015

Like I'm sure most have, I only really watched "20 Million Miles to Earth" for Harryhausen's stop motion work. After all, it is the only reason the film got made in the first place.

So in that sense, yes, it's excellent. His stop motion work is top notch, and doesn't just include the Venusian creature Ymir, but also a person (being horribly attacked) and an Elephant. It stands out from a lot of other creature features in that the Ymir…

• CarcinoGent

★★★ Added by CarcinoGent

Notable for its Harryhausen effects. The rest is a pretty average affair.

• tjeckz

★★½ Watched by tjeckz 02 Aug, 2015

A United States Air Force rocket ship crash lands off of Sicily after a secret expedition to Venus, and a fisherman's kid finds an egg-like item in the ship's wreckage. After the egg is sold to a local zoologist, it hatches, and the reptilian alien creature inside begins growing at an exorbitant rate. The race to prevent it from doing damage is led by the ship's only surviving crew member and the zoologist's attractive granddaughter. Good effects by Ray Harryhausen, and the ending scene at the Colosseum is pretty good, but not much happens before the end.

• Muddguts

★★★★ Added by Muddguts

I love Ray Harryhausen movies to death but this one I have only seen once. I felt so incredibly sad for the Ymir all movie long that I haven't been able to watch it again.

• evlkeith

★★★ Watched by evlkeith 11 Jul, 2015

Ray Harryhausen Festival No. 4

Another enjoyable slice of rampaging action with yet another sympathetic creature. It all brings back harrowing memories of Shadow of the Colossus...

Brilliant characterisation and some stunning lighting add up to some of my favourite Harryhausen effects so far.

Harryhausen's Effects - 4 out of 5