• HT

★★★★★ Rewatched by HT 24 Oct, 2014

Theory: First two minutes of black are a close up of the monolith, the rest of the film is what is presented to us by the monolith. We are the ones advancing into the "Star Child".

Kubrick starts the film with 2 minutes of a dark screen with Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna" to prepare us for what we are about to experience. Like his other films, Kubrick does not compromise his creative vision at any point and in the end leaves…

• MoiveMan340

★★★★★ Added by MoiveMan340

Clearly one of the best films ever.

• Matt

Added by Matt 2

You lucky bastards in the UK are getting a reissue in the theaters starting November 28th.

Here's a trailer for that: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfF0vxKZRhc

• Dave A Vannatta

★★★★★ Added by Dave A Vannatta

If anyone else did this classic it would not be the same. So Stanley Kubrick was made to do this film,and likewise this film was made for him. While at the same time it's a hard film to sit through,yet you are fascinated and want to see what is going to happen next. I can't think of any other praise for this film. Everything about it is magical.

• Kamil

★★★★½ Watched by Kamil 10 Oct, 2014

English tl;dr

"Class?! Sit down!
    Cellphones away and take out your books! We are having a small quiz!
    So, who can tell me in what year Stanley Kubricks '2001: A Space Odyssey was released?
    1985? Wrong! - In the days of Star Wars? Wrong! - In 2001? Kevin please, don't be ridiculous...!"

It's simply mind-blowing how someone was able to transfer this vision onto the big screen in freakin' 1968!
    With detailed and intelligently constructed sets and a clever use…

• cramo

½ Added by cramo

D'un ennui mortel et n'a aucun sens, en tout cas pour moi.
    La seule partie appréciable est celle avec HAL 9000 mais elle perd vite de l’intérêt et la suite est totalement loufoque. A conseiller aux gens que l'on déteste. Je plaisante. A regarder en avance rapide. Je ne plaisante pas. Ou mieux, à éviter !

• Nathan Diaz

★★★★★ Added by Nathan Diaz

One of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography is beautiful, HAL 9000....best villain I've ever seen, the visual style is outstanding, the direction is near perfection, the acting is surprisingly great....everything that you can think of from a Stanley Kubrick movie, it's right at your alley.

However, it may not be for everyone, but if you love movies from Stanley Kubrick and slow paced art house films, this movie is for you.

• SilentDawn

★★★★★ Rewatched by SilentDawn 18 Oct, 2014 14

Part Five Of Preparing (As Much as Humanly Possible) For Interstellar

Very few films, in all of cinematic history, have confounded, mesmerized, and lifted audiences to a height like Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey. Personally, while I enjoy Eyes Wide Shut more, that doesn't mean that it's better. 2001, without a doubt, is Kubrick's best work. Everyone has a favorite Kubrick, and that's fine, but I can't see anyone arguing with 2001 being his finest achievement as an…

• Tales Carvalho

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tales Carvalho 18 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Angelo Lopez

★★★★★ Added by Angelo Lopez

Perfect visual, spiritual and intellectual experience. The best movie ever made.

• Chris

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris 15 Oct, 2014

As delightfully crazy as the moon landing deniers and DARKSIDE OF THE MOON are, I find them to be huge compliments to Kubrick and 2001. Kubrick and Co. succeeded in not only bringing unprecedented images to the screen but also in making you feel like you are there at so many impossible moments.

I can't think of a more flattering reaction than to have some audience members reject reality because your fiction is that damn good.

• Jake

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jake 15 Oct, 2014

When the apes discover the first monolith, their first instinct is to reach out and touch. Dr. Floyd grasps against the second's surface on Clavius. Dave, ravaged by age after reaching The Infinite, holds out his finger to the third monolith. Kubrick treats these evolutionary steps forward in the narrative with the precision & tactility as the groundbreaking production design & special effects. 13 years removed from the promised year of the odyssey, we are on the verge of commuting the upper…