• Aditya Gm

★★★½ Added by Aditya Gm

Visually and metophorically the film maybe great, but otherwise not much. The acting isn't good, but the visuals and screenplay are including Kubrick's masterful direction. Yes it is a revolutionary film, but it has no real heart. It's like a banyan tree in great shape and size, but with no seed at all and you don't have any idea how it grew.

• lknadflkewnt

½ Watched by lknadflkewnt 22 May, 2015

This is literally the worst shit I have ever made myself sit through. Kubrick is a hack.

• SilentDawn

★★★★★ Added by SilentDawn 17

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Well, I did watch this yesterday but you know what I mean. I was 13 years old. I had just celebrated my birthday, and one of my presents that I received was my first Criterion, Seven Samurai to be exact. At that time in my life, cinema was something more pure and childlike to me. Growing up has its downsides, and one is the realization that not every film is good. A shield…

• ThomasBomas3

★★★★½ Watched by ThomasBomas3 16 May, 2015

Film #2 of the Scavenger Hunt Challenge
    Task #23 A Space Film!

I love to see people's reactions to when I tell them I've seen all but the middle hour of 2001: A Space Odyssey (so the first hour and last 20 minutes). Partly to see their shock that I haven't fully seen the movie, but mostly to see their confusion as to how I have semi seen it. But now I have seen it, in full, from start to…

• SilentDawn

★★★★★ Rewatched by SilentDawn 19 May, 2015 5

Watch this and this synchronized, having the sound for the former muted and the sound for the latter turned up to full blast. You can thank me later.

I only do these things because I still cannot talk about this film in any constructive way. It was the most profound viewing experience of my life and it continues to leave me in awe. Cinematic perfection.

• massy

★★★½ Rewatched by massy 18 May, 2015

HAL 9000 is one of the best movie villains of all time

• Reystleen

★★★★★ Watched by Reystleen 18 May, 2015

I tried to watch it when I was teenager, I stopped after 20 min or so, I didn't get it at all. Back then, I expected something like Star Wars :)

After twenty + years, I gave it another chance.
    It took me 3 sittings to finally finish watching this movie. Actually, I can't call it "a movie", it's a work of art, iconic and weird, way ahead of its time. It must have been amazing watching this in the late 60's.

I hate it, in a good way.

A landmark.

• Roman Arbisi

★★★★★ Rewatched by Roman Arbisi 18 May, 2015

Yeah, it's official, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen and it is one of my favorites of all-time. Everything about this movie is superb, and a second time through the movie makes some more sense, although the final 10 minutes still confuse the hell out of me.

The 'Dawn of Man' opening sequence is my second favorite sequence in the movie, it sets the tone, and it's not a sequence that you will understand your…

• Chopperfireball

★★★½ Watched by Chopperfireball 18 May, 2015

Alright up to the bit with that bloody space baby.

• oo_koo

★★★★★ Rewatched by oo_koo 02 Mar, 2015

This movie held up nicely back when I was 15 and still holds up now that I'm 35. So the only noteworthy thing about this particular viewing is that it was introduced at length by a prominent local artist who failed to avoid going into way too much detail about how HAL******* *** **** and how Bowman ***** **** * **** ****. Finally, a brave soul in the audience politely asked him to consider the possibility of an audience member actually seeing those scenes for the first time, which promptly ended the introduction. Compared to that introductory odyssey, the movie itself was a cakewalk.

• slyman

★★ Rewatched by slyman 17 May, 2015

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Film 15/30 (12. A film about Robot or AI!) of my Scavenger Hunt #2 Challenge

I'm sorry Stanley. I'm afraid I can't like your film.

Two word review: Shaggy dog

• chrislynch

★★★★ Added by chrislynch

I once tried to watch 2001 when I was younger. By the time the ape threw the bone into the air I had had enough. I had been promised spaceships and malevolent computers, not twenty minutes of monkeys. And so I remained uninitiated. Until recently. After twenty years, I got the urge to give Kubrick’s so-called masterpiece another chance. Prepared for the primates this time, I settled down to experience a ‘classic’ from beginning to end, whatever it threw at…