• Dylan Powell

★★★★★ Added by Dylan Powell

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that this film changed the way I view film as an art form forever. Challenging, intense, and absolutely gorgeous to look at, 2001 is undoubtedly a landmark in cinema in so many ways.

• Garrett Irwin

★★★★★ Added by Garrett Irwin

Quite possibly the most influential science fiction film of our time. All hail Stanley Kubrick, the innovator of all things cinema.

• TajLV

★★★★★ Rewatched by TajLV 19 Aug, 2014

Today I had a rare opportunity to see this on the big screen once again. The local library projected it in their main theater as part of August's "1960s Blockbusters" program. My opinion of this as one of the greatest films ever made is only strengthened by each viewing. How far ahead of his time Kubrick was with cinematography and special effects. The zero-gravity scenes are just superb. The score is timeless, too.

I must admit, although I have watched…

• itsterrific

★★★★★ Added by itsterrific

Monkeys. Evil robot. Skype. This movie has it all.

• Pedro

★★★★★ Rewatched by Pedro 17 Aug, 2014

Just watched this on the theather, a truly religious experience.

• Alice Bishop

★★★★ Rewatched by Alice Bishop 17 Aug, 2014 4

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• デル

★★★★★ Rewatched by デル 16 Aug, 2014 6

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Kirk Samuelson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kirk Samuelson 16 Aug, 2014

Jupiter is a dissonant place.

I love it more every time I see it. The score is key to the experience - must be played loud. Watched with my daughter who really liked it but was "scarred for life". Indeed, this film leaves an impression like few others.

• Jamie Huggett

★★★½ Watched by Jamie Huggett 16 Aug, 2014

I really admire the scope and ambition of this film, it seems way ahead of its time. Just don't ask me what was going on towards the end of it, I've absolutely no idea.

• slyman

★★★★★ Rewatched by slyman 17 Aug, 2014

Or: The Return of Sauron - The Eye Awakes

• Chris Hormann

★★★★½ Watched by Chris Hormann 17 Aug, 2014

It's only after seeing 2001 for the first time, that you realise how influential of a film it is - everything from Star Wars to Enter the Void by way of The Tree of Life and yes, even Gravity.

It's a film of big ideas, on evolution and intelligence and ultimately man's survival instinct. Within the film, there's another film, almost a space thriller as HAL-9000 slowly takes over the running of a space ship from its human masters. This…

• ReedRothchild

★★★★★ Watched by ReedRothchild 13 Aug, 2014

Watching a Kubrick film is watching the work of a master. Every frame has been extensively planned, every directorial choice deliberate and well-reasoned. The human performances have been directed to the point at which they too are cold, rational and precise. As a depiction of the infinite, this is as creepy as science fiction gets and as the work of a filmmaker, this is as good as film gets.