• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 25 Apr, 2015

The only thing I can say is in order to fully appreciate this film, you HAVE to look at it through the eyes of a viewer in 1968. Man had not yet ventured beyond Earth, space was a vast and mysterious subject and science simply had not reached that capacity yet. Just one year later, we would see a glimpse of true space travel. But with no knowledge whatsoever of the science behind space travel and the practicality of it,…

• Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel

★★★ Watched by Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel 25 Apr, 2015 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The part where HAL is trying to convince Dave not to kill him is genuinely hilarious.

• George Machin

Watched by George Machin 22 Apr, 2015

While being a truly dazzling array of sight and sound, 2001 did little to entertain me. With little ultimate payoff, a first act that goes no where and very little regard for a mounting narrative, the film feels like nothing more than space imagery set to music. Technical achievement aside which is in and of its self noteworthy, this science fiction tentpole was just too abstract and too lacking in narrative for my personal tastes.

• JohnAllegretti

Watched by JohnAllegretti 25 Dec, 2012

Owned - Blu-Ray

• Danny Gray

★★★★★ Rewatched by Danny Gray 20 Apr, 2015

It's hard to review such an iconic cornerstone of 20th Century cinema without being biased, predictable, boring, or swayed by popular consensus.

I know that this film is almost universally loved, by those who see Kubrick as a complete cinematic genius. There is a much smaller camp of contrarian Kubrick haters, however, who see the film as overhyped and lacking any sort of vision or artistic merit.

For me, it's hard to deny that this film, still so influential and…

• Giovanni Lautenschleger

★★★★★ Rewatched by Giovanni Lautenschleger 06 Apr, 2015

Amazing! The greatest masterpiece of the cinema!

• austoon

★★★★★ Watched by austoon 29 Mar, 2015

Kubrick's magnum opus. An ambitious masterpiece that is timeless, despite its slightly dated visual effects. But it still remains impressive to this day. Definitely one of the best and most important movies in history.

• Mike Harding

Watched by Mike Harding 19 Apr, 2015

I don't even.

On the one hand, this is an INSANE achievement given the film is nearing 50 years old. The design, filming and details hold up incredibly well. Plus we got to see this (my first time!) on the big screen, so it was suitably epic.

On the other hand... what the actual fuck?!?

Too hard to rate.

• Yumin Ha

★★★★ Added by Yumin Ha

its no masterpiece
    just a foundation for modern science fiction
    classic kubrick.

• George8494

★★★★★ Rewatched by George8494 16 Apr, 2015

Marcaré esta fecha en el calendario.

• Loberto77

★★★★★ Rewatched by Loberto77 16 Apr, 2015

Complicada, lenta, pretenciosa... pero por encima de todo, CINE con mayúsculas. Vista en cine (al fin), se aprecian unos mínimos defectos en algunos FX (casi cinco décadas la contemplan), pero es imposible no dejarse llevar por la grandiosidad de las imágenes y la música, atrapado entre la épica de Strauss y el escalofrío de Ligeti. Un vistazo a toda la historia del ser humano, desde el primate hasta la trascendencia, que no puede dejar indiferente a nadie.

• JM

★★★★★ Rewatched by JM 16 Apr, 2015

La obra más perfecta de Kubrick (traducción: mi favorita) nos presenta un prólogo que dura casi más que la historia en sí.
    Una puesta en escena que a día de hoy sigue siendo increíble (esas naves giratorias, la psicodelia de más allá del espacio...), unos movimientos de cámara impresionantes, una fotografía increíble y una música perfectamente elegida.
    Nada nuevo bajo el sol en esta review.