• YI JIAN

★★★★ Watched by YI JIAN 29 Jun, 2016 12

The true essence of loneliness is not felt when you're alone, but when you're surrounded by people you can't connect with. No one captures a mood quite like Wong Kar Wai, the narration and the cigarette smoke crawling in slow motion, opening and closing of doors, we are all under his spell, his mercy. Tony Leung, with or without the mustache, is always pleasant to watch. Faye Wong channeled a new level of energy with two different performances. (I Fell…

• Alex Vieira

★★½ Watched by Alex Vieira 21 Jun, 2016 5

• Jordan McLaughlin

★★★★ Watched by Jordan McLaughlin 20 Jun, 2016

Good lord.
    This was an emotional whirlwind, mostly, if not only with the Bae Lin plot line. That, for one, is what did it for me and cemented this film. Had the whole film been further in depth and progressing the Bae Lin subplot, I probably would have given it five stars. I thought the actress who played her was absolutely amazing with a mix of sensuality and innocence.
    I loved the whole film, but hated the ending. I would have rated it much higher had they ended up together. I know it's my American rom-com sensibilities, but what the hell.

• Jianne Soriano

★★★★ Watched by Jianne Soriano 16 Jun, 2016

2046 is the conclusion to the In the Mood for Love Trilogy. After watching this film, it definitely not only makes you in the mood for love but also in the mood for heartbreak. I see 2046 as more of a tale of letting go and moving on and accepting heartbreak rather than some wishy-washy romantic one. It's very Kar-wai like.

Having such a huge ensemble of well-known Asian actors from China, Hong Kong, Japan and even Taiwan (Tony, Zhang,…

• Alex Harrison

★★★★ Watched by Alex Harrison 17 Jun, 2016

Right off the bat, I think this might be one of the best direct sequels I've ever seen. 2046 follows on where "In the mood for Love" left off, showing what Mr Chow did next, and while this film does not have the formal perfection of ItMFL, it still has achingly beautiful setpieces, and a narrative that up to the 2/3 feels somewhat incoherent, but superbly ties itself up in the third act.

• Jacob Smith

★★★★★ Watched by Jacob Smith 15 Jun, 2016

The best of Wong Kar-wai's decade-and-a-half spanning "trilogy" of romantic dramas, and my overall favorite of his that I've seen. Somehow even more evocative and heartbreaking than IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, 2046 follows its predecessor's protagonist as he fucks and writes his way through emotional turmoil, torn up by the loss of his idealized love. Wong effortlessly blends claustrophobic science fiction imagery (drawn from the short story being written by the protagonist) with an noir-esque 1960's Hong Kong. It's one of the most visually memorable films I've had the pleasure of watching, and one I plan on revisiting soon, and often.

• Marcus M.

★★★★ Rewatched by Marcus M. 11 Jun, 2016

an integral guide on how to wear winged eyeliner

• shahbakht

★★★★ Watched by shahbakht 11 Jun, 2016

Wong Kar-wai has never been one to delve in traditional narratives and storytelling, but his movies have such an ethereal quality to them. They are an experience, sensory and psychological.

This is a direct sequel to In the Mood for Love and exponentially expands the thematic elements from that. The transient nature of happiness, the ephemeral quality of love, loneliness, these are some of the things discussed through the lens of Kar-wai. Add to that the terrific cast that he…

• sitenoise

★★★★½ Rewatched by sitenoise 29 Dec, 2012

Took me three tries to come around to liking this. The film seems like outtakes or cutting room floor stuff from another film, but woven together very well.

• Paula Castro

★★★★ Watched by Paula Castro 02 Jun, 2016

i don't know which is prettier, this movie or faye wong

• Zach A.M.

★★★½ Watched by Zach A.M. 25 May, 2016

It hit me halfway through Wong Kar-wai's sort of sequel to In the Mood for Love that Tony Leung was basically Don Draper before Jon Hamm was.

• K Gopal Krishna

★★★★★ Rewatched by K Gopal Krishna 23 May, 2016

Love is an experience, love is a feeling, love is when two people so indulged and wound up in each other are oblivious to the feelings that creep up. But when does love happen, when does it really? Does it happen to us more than once but too soon or too late? Do we not realize the drowsy future we're heading towards? Are we trapped into memories and secrets we create in ourselves where nothing ever changes?

2046 is nothing…