• rick of arc ⌒

Watched by rick of arc ⌒ 26 Aug, 2016

I will go to bat for some of his other films (Happy Together, Fallen Angels, ITMFL [which I adhere to a particular time in my life and fear rewatching it]) but this one kind of made me ill.

There is a point where his lovelorn, "scribbled in a journal" schtick becomes a bit too much. Didn't finish it so don't expect anything more insightful beyond, "I couldn't stand it." Maybe it gets more tolerable. I won't ever know.

No rating, of course.

• Winston O'Boogie

★★★ Added by Winston O'Boogie

Αν αλλεπάλληλα, πανέμορφα γκρο-πλαν σε πρόσωπα πανέμορφων κοριτσιών, με υψηλής αισθητικής μπαρόκ διακόσμηση στο background· αν διάλογοι κλασάτης καυλάντας και τριξίματα πανάκριβων σουμιέδων· αν, τέλος, ένα αφηγηματικό αλαλούμ από άποψη είναι τα στοιχεία που συνιστούν ένα αριστούργημα, it's ok with me. Μπορεί να το αδικώ αλλά εγώ το βρήκα μια ρηχή, μπερδεμένη επίδειξη στυλ.

• UncreativeName

★★★★★ Rewatched by UncreativeName 19 Aug, 2016 4

Love is all a matter of timing. It's no good meeting the right person too soon or too late. If I'd lived in another time or place my story might have had a very different ending.

2046 makes a fascinating companion piece to In the Mood for Love. This one is all about excesses. Both from the Chow character and from Wong as a director and storyteller. You have three different love stories folded in on each other along with…

• EnteredTheVoid

★★★★½ Rewatched by EnteredTheVoid 15 Aug, 2016 2

Aesthetically arousing. 2046 is a visual masterpiece and is also like poetry to the ear with a fantastic soundtrack to accompany it's lush photography. Probably the finest colour palette in Kar-wai Wong's filmography and that is saying something.

• lamena

Watched by lamena 02 Aug, 2016

too beautiful.

can't wait 2 see it again

• GKnight

★★★★ Added by GKnight

While technically speaking a continuation of "In The Mood For Love", this move tells its own story. Similarly to Wong Kar-Wai's previous work, it's deliberately paced and intensely romantic, complete with lush visuals. But it feels like a bit too much, especially not completely fleshed out "futuristic" subplot.

• Captain Quint

★★★★½ Added by Captain Quint

Wong Kar Wai’s follow-up to 2000s, “In The Mood For Love” is about heartbreak and memory. Mr. Chow (Tony Leung) is trying to forget a woman and start a new life, but he is unable to cope with the loss of her. Chow is a man who lingers in the past; as is every character in the film - they are tethered and miserable.

Woven through the story is a sci-fi novel (2046) Chow has written that draws from his…

• Willem van der Zanden

★★★ Watched by Willem van der Zanden 28 Jul, 2016

Trilogy Day #3(.5) - Wong Kar-Wai's Informal Trilogy

I have difficulty liking 2046. At once it feels like a very energetic film, with elements from Chungking Express, Days of Being Wild and In the Mood for Love, but because of this it often feels to packed, to full of itself and all in all a bit chaotic.

The stories are still very interesting and give even more different looks on these fleeting feelings of love in these often very cramped…

• Murtatha Allammi

★★★★★ Added by Murtatha Allammi

What we have here with 2046 is a magnificent romantic drama and science-fiction/fantasy masterpiece that stands above many of its peers in its respective genres as it seamlessly blends the genres together, creating a beautiful, stylish, heartfelt, heart-breaking, sexy, and thoroughly engaging film about unrequited love and loneliness. It's a very soulful film that digs deep into the characters and their troubles, without ever becoming overwrought or insincere in its methods and depictions. It tackles the most fragile of human…

• Paul Duane

Rewatched by Paul Duane 24 Jul, 2016

Still a hot mess, though frequently a very lovely & occasionally moving one. WKW's so self-involved here, not only in his drawing together of elements from Days Of Being Wild and In The Mood For Love, but also in his portrayal of a main character who's a narcissistic artist/voyeur, obsessed with beautiful women but unable to emotionally respond to them. It seems like the classical self-portrait of the numbed, romantic creative type. It's hard now not to object to the way…

• gigasitea

★★ Watched by gigasitea 22 Jul, 2016 2

plainly not my type of film (and trust me when i say i tried to love it). a boring but cute enough love story. like other kar-wai films, it was a film of style over substance. however, instead of in the mood for love (which i did rather love), the style of 2046 was rather boring and flaccid.

• Aaron Hendrix

★★★★ Watched by Aaron Hendrix 20 Jul, 2016

Some years back I had a happy ending. But, I let it slip away.

If WKW's In the Mood for Love is about what is - and what could be - then 2046 is about what once was. Though it never reaches the focused brilliance of its predecessor, 2046 drowns its audience in blindingly vibrant style while subtly conveying the tacit dialogue wafting between characters. I give 2046 a 4/5.