• TR_EX

★★★★½ Watched by TR_EX 10 Apr, 2014

After Ashes of Time this is the second Wong Kar-Wai movie I have seen so far and I can now understand the hype about the Chinese director among my family and friends a lot better.

With 2046 Kar-Wai does a way better job to merge his beautiful pictures with the intelligent, episode-like storytelling.

Despite the strict use of warm colors the crew is able to keep up a consistent emotional frostiness supported by the theatrical and operatic score. The latter…

• Ben

★★★★★ Watched by Ben 01 Apr, 2014

9.6

Wong Kar Wai does Sci-Fi! This was made for me. Might have dethroned In the Mood for Love. Ill have to think about it. Dizzyingly beautiful beyond words. Yes, it might be too dependent on the others in the trilogy, but i love it anywat. I will be watching it again within the next 2 days. I dont know how he is able to well up so much emotion within someone as emptionless as me.

• Daphne Vogel

★★★★½ Watched by Daphne Vogel 28 Mar, 2014

"Most of her affairs ended badly, but she didn't mind sad endings." Every frame in this film is a work of art.

• Evan Cogswell

★★★★ Watched by Evan Cogswell 25 Mar, 2014

The blurring of reality and fantasy works terrifically along with the narrator's disjointed recollection of different events from his life and from his writing, which become increasingly difficult to distinguish as he loses himself in his past liaisons.

• Joey

★★★★ Watched by Joey 23 Mar, 2014

I wasn't expecting to like this, wow. I really loved its style, it was very slow-paced but moody and atmospheric. Kind of like a sad romance movie filtered through film noir and a little bit of science fiction. A really engrossing movie, I'm gonna have to check out Days of Being Wild and In The Mood for Love.

• Blots

★★★★½ Watched by Blots 16 Mar, 2014

Wong Kar-Wai made me an exotic cocktail, and I'm swooning over it.

I have a soft spot for pre-rendered cut scenes in 90's/early 2000's video games, and WKW's glimpses of a futuristic city look straight off of a 1997 Playstation disc in the best possible way. They're technically limited, but in no way look dated or off-base because they precisely capture his mood.

The division between scenes is delightfully unclear – we can never be sure of when we are…

• Bongo Tango

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bongo Tango 15 Mar, 2014

My favorite Wong Kar Wai film thus far. In the Mood for Love had a stately beauty to it, but was, for me anyway, too elliptical and cool to really get at any emotional core. Chungking Express was expressive, but its quirky humor was somewhat lost on me. This film, though, had both the regal beauty of In the Mood for Love, and the energetic passion of Chungking Express. Melancholy, desperate, cruel, sad, but most importantly, alive. Just fantastic.

• Daryl C

★★★½ Watched by Daryl C 14 Mar, 2014

diminishing returns. it's a beautiful film conceptually and, for better or worse, plays like a B-side to in the mood for love. but unlike the tight focus of that film, 2046 is vast, unwieldy and doesn't quite have the same effect. in particular, it loses its way in the last third and feels like he never quite figured out the film in the editing room. can't help but wish that wong would make another contemporary film soon, like a return…

• Matt Noller

★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Noller 15 Mar, 2014

[B+]

• ne0n

★★★★★ Watched by ne0n 11 Mar, 2014

Μας σκότωσε βραδιάτικο.

• m8ben

★★★★★ Watched by m8ben 11 Mar, 2014

That was the best trilogy to experience in a short span of time

• JovoCop

★★★★★ Watched by JovoCop 08 Mar, 2014

One is reluctant to use "sequel" to characterize Wong Kar-wai's follow-up to In the Mood for Love because of the term's negative connotations, yet 2046 is about what happens to Mo-wan (Tony Leung), after he and Su-lizhen (Maggie Cheung) decide not to further their relationship at the conclusion of In the Mood for Love. We learn that Mo-wan moved to Singapore, where he is struggling as a newspaper columnist. It's late 1964 and he is ready to return to Hong…