• Willem Hattingh

★★★★ Watched by Willem Hattingh 03 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Honestly I've been laughing throughout the whole film. Either because I find this remarkably lighthearted take on a cancer patient story really engaging, or I just have no fucking sense of humour.

Of course, come the 2nd half of the movie or so, the more drama-focused segments of the film do really hit home as well, and it's not usually this easy for me to relate to a film's protagonist as much as I do here. The outcome's a fair bit predictable, but that's theatrical films for you.

• Michael Parks

★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Parks 31 Jul, 2015

A hilarious yet grounded and touching look at a battle with cancer. Love Anna Kendrick.

• Elwood Jones

★★★★★ Rewatched by Elwood Jones 30 Jul, 2015

It’s probably safe to say that Cancer isn’t exactly the most prime of choices for comedy and judging by how noticeably empty the theatre was when I saw this film, it seems that a lot of people seem to have come to the same conclusion. Still with a script by Will Reiser who himself battled and won his own fight against “The Big C” he has here crafted a fantastic script based on these experiences which certainly doesn’t tread on…

• Tim Brzakala

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tim Brzakala 29 Jul, 2015

I like this movie more than most, but I find it extremely funny, heartwarming, and beautiful. One of my favorites in recent years.

• DollarStoreFilm

★★★★★ Added by DollarStoreFilm

50/50 is like the phrase "laughing at a funeral." Something like cancer/death can be so unexpected and emotionally shattering that it seems like the only way to rebel against its pain is by laughing in its face. Kyle (Seth Rogen) takes care of that with crude jokes and a penchant for medicinal herbs.

The lows are dealt with compassionately by actors who never cease to amaze me. There is a nice contrast between smothering mom Diane (Angelica Huston) and a…

• Josh Rosenthal

★★★★ Watched by Josh Rosenthal 26 Jul, 2015

I went in blank expecting a stoner comedy, it turned out to be a touching dramedy.

• t2kickassjedi

★★★★★ Added by t2kickassjedi

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

50/50 is an incredible film with great performances and it's funny while being about something that's heartbreaking. Also it has a nice happy ending because he lives.

• Matty Stanfield

★★★ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 12 Oct, 2013

The film is based on the true experience of writer, Will Reiser. Reiser's script does offer a couple of insightful moments regarding the horror of battling cancer. The problem is he seems too worried about keeping the movie "funny" than taking the time to fully explore the situation. It isn't clear if this intentional or not, but it hurts the film.

While the comic elements are funny and fairly realistic, I don't think there is anything extraordinary to be found…

• Fancygama

★★★½ Added by Fancygama

A great story about friendship that freshly integrates comedy and raw emotion.

• mfulton

★★★½ Added by mfulton

B

• ShadetreeDad

★★★★½ Watched by ShadetreeDad 02 May, 2015

Very nicely done film with great acting from all. Touching and dramatic with just the right amount of (honest) humor. The always dependable Seth Rogen has this character down pat. I'm putting this one in my top films! Highly recommended!

• Amy G