• PaulLyons

★★★ Watched by PaulLyons 05 Dec, 2016

What a strange, silly movie. This year I've grown to love the Marx Brothers, even though I rarely love the films they star in as a whole. Like their other pictures, Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx steal the show from their own movie, upstaging any semblance of structure, order, screenplay or plot. As a result, A DAY AT THE RACES is enjoyable despite itself, despite its effort to maintain story and, for lack of a better term, balance.

Directed by…

• Em

★★★½ Watched by Em 02 Dec, 2016

I've never watched a Marx Brothers film in its entirety before, so this was an excellent introduction to their work for me. Most of the gags hold up, but one or two are definitely dated, most notably the use of blackface. The brothers totally sell the jokes with their consistently funny delivery, though I'm not sure I like Harpo's shtick.

• Greg_Wood

★★★★ Rewatched by Greg_Wood 23 Nov, 2016

directed by my great grandpa

• landskip

★★★½ Rewatched by landskip 18 Nov, 2016

Has the wonderful medical exam scene, a horse race, and Harpo dressed as Sherlock Holmes. Groucho's dancing has never been more inspired.

• Not Pauline Kael

Added by Not Pauline Kael

The Marx Brothers in a sort of morning-after to A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. It has something to do with a sanatorium, a group of bankers, a blond siren, and a steeplechase. Groucho Marx is Hugo Z. Hackenbush, a horse doctor posing as a fashionable neurologist. ("Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.") He shuffles off with the picture. (Marx's rendezvous with a big, beautiful blonde-Esther Muir-is interrupted by paperhangers. "This is the worst insult I've ever…

• George Tromero

Added by George Tromero

Cuenta con grandes medios de producción (particularmente apreciables en una escena final outdoors que hace palidecer a la de ‘Horse Feathers’). Asimismo, la idea de “un farsante del cual depende el futuro de un negocio” en torno a la cual gira toda la trama es decididamente innovadora. Sin embargo, percibo que los números musicales (con ballet incluido) lastran más a esta cinta que a ninguna otra. Si tuviese que quedarme con una escena, ésta sería la de las claves y…

• Gustavo Menezes

★★★ Watched by Gustavo Menezes 19 Sep, 2016

This feels overlong (too much plot for a Marx brothers' movie, perhaps?), plus it has blackface jokes and stereotypical black people. But the last act is really engaging, and Harpo gets many great moments. So, apart from those few minutes of racism, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Rocky Pajarito

★★★ Watched by Rocky Pajarito 08 Sep, 2016

214/366 for 2016

Huh! That was cute! The sketch heavy segments were quite a wonder, that's for sure. And some interesting musical bits! Yeah... that was alright.

... You know, except for that one part.

• Andrew R.

★★★★ Added by Andrew R.

Most Marx Bros. films have a romance sewn awkwardly in. This is a romance with a Marx Bros. film sewed slightly less awkwardly in.

• Jack Gattanella

★★★★½ Watched by Jack Gattanella 25 Aug, 2016

A Day at the Races is a bit of a strange yet magical bird of a comedy. There's that ten minute musical sequence (or I should say two of them but they end up connecting, sort of), which is equal parts the-bland-Prince-sings-to-Disney's-Snow-White (remember that, nope, me neither) and just 'um, a musical number with black people that's not insulting to them in the 1930's and on its own separate from the movie is exhilarating but has a moment of blackface...…

View

• talisencrw (William Wood)

★★★★★ Watched by talisencrw (William Wood) 15 Jun, 2016

One of the greatest comedies of all time, period--and the finest comedic group at their peak, though I slightly prefer Duck Soup. Still, you won't find any better than this.

Their hilarity and zaniness of the core trio is spellbinding, and their consistent comedic inventiveness is remarkable. The pacing, utilizing the occasional charming musical passages of both Chico and Harpo, are to provide a necessary counterpoint to the set-pieces, otherwise it would be too much for a cinephile to take in at one sitting.

• Swampflix

★★★★ Watched by Swampflix 04 Mar, 2016

“Taking physical, slapstick comedy to deeply deranged, yet subtly masterful territory, Harpo is a one of a kind talent. Part of the reason I ended up liking the somewhat minor Marx title A Day at the Races so much is that Harpo is so damn funny in it. I was laughing at his madman antics as the criminal horse jockey Stuffy so hard that almost all of the film’s third act problems (of which there are many) ultimately felt meaningless.”

Read the full review here.