• Jim Donahue

★★½ Rewatched by Jim Donahue 26 Oct, 2015

Some funny bits--these are the Marx Brothers, after all--but at 111 minutes, this film's pacing is slack, and the musical numbers are even worse than those in "A Night at the Opera." Margaret O'Sullivan is terrific, though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The brother's Paramount films are ten times as enjoyable as the MGM releases.

• Matt G

★★ Watched by Matt G 18 Sep, 2015

Week 5 - Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16 - PUNQ Week

Boy - I've seen some Marx Brothers films that I thought were ok, but this one was pretty weak - the songs were bad (really bad) and the jokes were subpar. Harpo must have been that era's Jim Carrey - a guys you just want to punch until he knocks it off.

I do like Groucho, but why does the mustache have to be painted on?

• JeffPed

Watched by JeffPed 12 Sep, 2015

"Hey, don't drink that poison! That's four dollars an ounce!"

The Marx brothers continue their incredible return in what is perhaps my favourite film thus far since Animal Crackers, except for the unfortunate blackface late in the film. Still, this is one of the tightest films in the Brothers' chaotic filmography.

• Michael Bihari

★★★½ Watched by Michael Bihari 19 Aug, 2015

The usual Marx Brothers antics. Some funny bits, but marred by racial stereotyping, which was not a feature in their other films.

• nagoya

★★★★½ Added by nagoya

• Mynt Marsellus

★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 17 Aug, 2015

Well thats unfortunate. I wish this had been more fun and had less music and NO blackface.

• Red_Dufresne

★★★ Watched by Red_Dufresne 16 Aug, 2015

A Day at the Races presents The Marx Brothers at their most neutered. Gone is the eclectic insanity present in most of their Paramount offerings, being instead replaced by sappy sentimentalism that marks MGM films throughout this period in general. Early on, the film is actually probably their best technically, with expertly executed musical numbers being well-balanced, but the film eventually becomes bogged down by them. Groucho, Chico, and Harpo become supporting players in their own movie, second to a…

• Peter Gatt

★★★★ Rewatched by Peter Gatt 16 Jul, 2015

I'll never tired of watching this film

• Gus Braidotti

★★★½ Rewatched by Gus Braidotti 03 Jul, 2015

1937 !!!! Hard to believe they were so out there, wacky, outright funny, back then. 100 years ahead of their time. Though this is still 1937 and there are plenty of for us boring musical bits in it.

• Jason

★★ Watched by Jason 02 Jul, 2015

I really wanted to like this. It's the third Marx Bros. film I've seen after Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera and none of them have clicked with me. I don't know what it is. I can see the humour, and I find it witty but it hardly ever makes me laugh. Usually its a 'huh, that's funny'. I'm probably defective.

• slyman

★★★★½ Watched by slyman 20 Jun, 2015

" Emily, I have a confession to make. I really am a horse doctor. But marry me, and I'll never look at another horse."

Scavenger Hunt #3 15/30
    8. A film about horse(s)!

Vintage Marx Bros. The puns are in abundance. The sight gags are great. It's at it best when its just the Bros on the screen, the other characters are just not as funny. There is even a great black face scene, it is interesting to see how they treat it, especially with The Birth of a Nation fresh in my mind.

Two word review: Horsing around

• Heretic

Watched by Heretic 18 May, 2015

Even worse than A Night at the Opera. The ending left me truly sad.