• Njabs Phungula

★★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 02 Feb, 2016 2

Chaotic fun. I'm not crazy about the horse race at the end although it's essential to the story. The rest of the movie is one great gag after another. I also really loved Chico and Harpo, and their bits on the piano. I need to see more Marx Bros.

• Nick H.

★★★ Watched by Nick H. 18 Jan, 2016

Coming off the heels of Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races just feels long and overdone. There's plenty of good comedy here, but with a runtime nearing two hours there's also a good amount of bloat that doesn't need to be here.

Even an average Marx Brothers movie is good for a lot of laughs, I just doubt that for all the memorable moments this is one I would ever seek out on my own.

• Jason M

★★★★ Watched by Jason M 09 Jan, 2016

Magik. The mix of oddball comedic anarchy and word puns of the Marx Bros have always been some of the best stuff to turn to when feeling down. It plays by its own rules and is sill kind of unique to this day.
    Love it.

• Matt

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt 01 Jan, 2016

This was the best written Marx Bros. movie. All the gags are well done and they all come together very organically.

• cameronstokes

★★★★ Watched by cameronstokes 02 Jan, 2016

Fassbender

• Jennifer

★★★ Watched by Jennifer 02 Jan, 2016

Definite plot though very silly. Set gags throughout that have zero to do with the story. The substitute Zeppo is as bad or worse than the real Zeppo. Very funny.

• Sean Kelly

★★★★ Watched by Sean Kelly 01 Jan, 2016

Save for a somewhat racist blackface moment, this was more Marx Bros fun.

• catpeople22

★★★ Rewatched by catpeople22 01 Jan, 2016

Marx Brothers are at it again, with almost virtually the exact same cast as night at the Opera and similar plot structure. One of the best sight gags in the movie is when Harpo plays a grand paino so hard that it turns into a harp. Witty and snappy dialogue, fun times and some great laugh out loud sequences!

• Horcruxnelius Doubleboss

★★★★ Watched by Horcruxnelius Doubleboss 30 Nov, 2015

Best and happiest Marx Brothers picture I've seen so far.
    Happy dancing and a great Groucho.

• Jim Donahue

★★½ Rewatched by Jim Donahue 26 Oct, 2015

Some funny bits--these are the Marx Brothers, after all--but at 111 minutes, this film's pacing is slack, and the musical numbers are even worse than those in "A Night at the Opera." Margaret O'Sullivan is terrific, though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The brothers' Paramount films are ten times as enjoyable as the MGM releases.

• Matt G

★★ Watched by Matt G 18 Sep, 2015

Week 5 - Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16 - PUNQ Week

Boy - I've seen some Marx Brothers films that I thought were ok, but this one was pretty weak - the songs were bad (really bad) and the jokes were subpar. Harpo must have been that era's Jim Carrey - a guys you just want to punch until he knocks it off.

I do like Groucho, but why does the mustache have to be painted on?

• JeffPed

Watched by JeffPed 12 Sep, 2015

"Hey, don't drink that poison! That's four dollars an ounce!"

The Marx brothers continue their incredible return in what is perhaps my favourite film thus far since Animal Crackers, except for the unfortunate blackface late in the film. Still, this is one of the tightest films in the Brothers' chaotic filmography.