• Andrew Jupin

★★★½

The film features some incredible Marx Brothers' mayhem, but is derailed toward the end—as far as 2017 standards go—due to that unfortunate bit of black face at the end of that musical number in the barn.

Highlights include: Harpo destroying that piano, Chico and Groucho's gambling books bit, the examination scene in the hospital, and Harpo slaying that harp solo.

• FilmAnisa

★★★★

"Either my watch has stopped or this man is dead."
    I personally found it better than "A Night At The Opera" Groucho's Dr. Hackenbush was very entertaining and iconic. Chico is sweet and funny and Harpo's horns and harp playing skills never get old!

• Jamie Lawson

★★★½

Really funny whenever the brothers are allowed to just cause mayhem and crack wise, but the musical sequences are far too long, there's too much plot stuff, and the trio are less funny when they're being helpful and caring about shit. Definitely could have been a good half hour shorter too....and there's some racial stuff near the end that wouldn't fly nowadays. But flaws and all, it still had me laughing plenty.

• PaulLyons

★★★

What a strange, silly movie. This year I've grown to love the Marx Brothers, even though I rarely love the films they star in as a whole. Like their other pictures, Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx steal the show from their own movie, upstaging any semblance of structure, order, screenplay or plot. As a result, A DAY AT THE RACES is enjoyable despite itself, despite its effort to maintain story and, for lack of a better term, balance.

Directed by…

• Em

★★★½

I've never watched a Marx Brothers film in its entirety before, so this was an excellent introduction to their work for me. Most of the gags hold up, but one or two are definitely dated, most notably the use of blackface. The brothers totally sell the jokes with their consistently funny delivery, though I'm not sure I like Harpo's shtick.

• Greg_Wood

★★★★

directed by my great grandpa

• landskip

★★★½

Has the wonderful medical exam scene, a horse race, and Harpo dressed as Sherlock Holmes. Groucho's dancing has never been more inspired.

• Not Pauline Kael

The Marx Brothers in a sort of morning-after to A NIGHT AT THE OPERA. It has something to do with a sanatorium, a group of bankers, a blond siren, and a steeplechase. Groucho Marx is Hugo Z. Hackenbush, a horse doctor posing as a fashionable neurologist. ("Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.") He shuffles off with the picture. (Marx's rendezvous with a big, beautiful blonde-Esther Muir-is interrupted by paperhangers. "This is the worst insult I've ever…

• George Tromero

Cuenta con grandes medios de producción (particularmente apreciables en una escena final outdoors que hace palidecer a la de ‘Horse Feathers’). Asimismo, la idea de “un farsante del cual depende el futuro de un negocio” en torno a la cual gira toda la trama es decididamente innovadora. Sin embargo, percibo que los números musicales (con ballet incluido) lastran más a esta cinta que a ninguna otra. Si tuviese que quedarme con una escena, ésta sería la de las claves y…

• Gustavo Menezes

★★★

This feels overlong (too much plot for a Marx brothers' movie, perhaps?), plus it has blackface jokes and stereotypical black people. But the last act is really engaging, and Harpo gets many great moments. So, apart from those few minutes of racism, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Rocky Pajarito

214/366 for 2016

Huh! That was cute! The sketch heavy segments were quite a wonder, that's for sure. And some interesting musical bits! Yeah... that was alright.

... You know, except for that one part.

• Andrew R.

★★★

Most Marx Bros. films have a romance sewn awkwardly in. This is a romance with a Marx Bros. film sewed slightly less awkwardly in.