• nagoya

★★★★½ Added by nagoya

!!!

• Mynt Marsellus

★★½ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 17 Aug, 2015

Well thats unfortunate. I wish this had been more fun and had less music and NO blackface.

• Red_Dufresne

★★★ Watched by Red_Dufresne 16 Aug, 2015

A Day at the Races presents The Marx Brothers at their most neutered. Gone is the eclectic insanity present in most of their Paramount offerings, being instead replaced by sappy sentimentalism that marks MGM films throughout this period in general. Early on, the film is actually probably their best technically, with expertly executed musical numbers being well-balanced, but the film eventually becomes bogged down by them. Groucho, Chico, and Harpo become supporting players in their own movie, second to a…

• Peter Gatt

★★★★ Rewatched by Peter Gatt 16 Jul, 2015

I'll never tired of watching this film

• Gus Braidotti

★★★½ Rewatched by Gus Braidotti 03 Jul, 2015

1937 !!!! Hard to believe they were so out there, wacky, outright funny, back then. 100 years ahead of their time. Though this is still 1937 and there are plenty of for us boring musical bits in it.

• Jason

★★ Watched by Jason 02 Jul, 2015

I really wanted to like this. It's the third Marx Bros. film I've seen after Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera and none of them have clicked with me. I don't know what it is. I can see the humour, and I find it witty but it hardly ever makes me laugh. Usually its a 'huh, that's funny'. I'm probably defective.

• slyman

★★★★½ Watched by slyman 20 Jun, 2015

" Emily, I have a confession to make. I really am a horse doctor. But marry me, and I'll never look at another horse."

Scavenger Hunt #3 15/30
    8. A film about horse(s)!

Vintage Marx Bros. The puns are in abundance. The sight gags are great. It's at it best when its just the Bros on the screen, the other characters are just not as funny. There is even a great black face scene, it is interesting to see how they treat it, especially with The Birth of a Nation fresh in my mind.

Two word review: Horsing around

• Heretic

Watched by Heretic 18 May, 2015

Even worse than A Night at the Opera. The ending left me truly sad.

• AlphaDream

★★★★★ Added by AlphaDream

this used to be on tv all the time

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★ Rewatched by Adrian Zachow 29 Apr, 2015

The boy's manic shtick is as sublime and surreal as ever, as they try to save a sanitarium sitting next to a horse race track from closure. Solid stuff, if only the two lengthy musical interludes featuring forgettable songs had been kept shorter.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

It's very difficult to rank the Marx Brothers' flicks - NONE are perfect, but ALL have moments of perfection. This one - with plot nonsense about a horse who might save a sanitarium - is no different, but whenever Hugo Z. Hackenbush is onscreen, it is divine.

Get ya Tutsi-Frutsie Ice-Cream!!!

• kineticandroid

Rewatched by kineticandroid 28 Mar, 2015

"Emily, I have a confession to make. I really am a horse doctor. But marry me, and I'll never look at another horse."