• Vasquez

★★★½ Watched by Vasquez 16 Apr, 2016

A solid Marx Bros movie. Liked the second half more than the first - included some great comedy scenes (Groucho attempting to seduce the blonde despite Chico and Harpo's interference) and some great musical numbers (marred by an unfortunate blackface scene). Good stuff overall, although not great.

• Jonathan Woollen

★★★ Watched by Jonathan Woollen 27 Mar, 2016

Basically a solid-ish misfire because the brothers just don't get enough to do, or maybe the right spaces in which to do them. A sanitarium sounds like the ideal location, but really it's only the sight of them washing their hands all kookily that gives that setting its due. (Well, and Margaret Dumont willingly batted around a folding examination chair.) And if you compare Marx movies by their musical sections (granted: this is only my fourth), this one lacks something…

• Daniel PG Simpson

★★★ Watched by Daniel PG Simpson 27 Mar, 2016

Though the Marx Brothers' early films were basically just pure comedy, this largely changed when they signed with MGM. Though their comedic style would largely remain, the films would also be imbued with more standard romances and conventional storylines which were largely independent of the brothers comedy. That's certainly the case with A Day at the Races, which features a boring story about young lovers trying to save their sanitarium. I couldn't give a crap about these people or their…

• Auggie Heschmeyer

★★½ Watched by Auggie Heschmeyer 12 Mar, 2016

When the film lets the gags happen, they're great. However, most of the film is bogged down with too many unnecessary musical numbers.

• Quinn Bailey

★★★★ Rewatched by Quinn Bailey 19 Feb, 2016

The Marx Brothers mean a lot to me. They were my gateway to classic cinema, as my first childhood viewing of A Night at the Opera thoroughly shattered my perception that old movies were nothing but stodgy, slow, and boring. My DVDs of their films have been thoroughly worn down by far too much usage. References to the Freedonian national anthem, tootsie-frootsie ice cream, and how there's no such thing as the sanity clause are daily occurrences in my family.…

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 02 Feb, 2016 2

Chaotic fun. I'm not crazy about the horse race at the end although it's essential to the story. The rest of the movie is one great gag after another. I also really loved Chico and Harpo, and their bits on the piano. I need to see more Marx Bros.

• Nick H.

★★★ Watched by Nick H. 18 Jan, 2016

Coming off the heels of Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races just feels long and overdone. There's plenty of good comedy here, but with a runtime nearing two hours there's also a good amount of bloat that doesn't need to be here.

Even an average Marx Brothers movie is good for a lot of laughs, I just doubt that for all the memorable moments this is one I would ever seek out on my own.

• Jason M

★★★★ Watched by Jason M 09 Jan, 2016

Magik. The mix of oddball comedic anarchy and word puns of the Marx Bros have always been some of the best stuff to turn to when feeling down. It plays by its own rules and is sill kind of unique to this day.
    Love it.

• Matt

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt 01 Jan, 2016

This was the best written Marx Bros. movie. All the gags are well done and they all come together very organically.

• cameronstokes

★★★★ Watched by cameronstokes 02 Jan, 2016

Fassbender

• Jennifer

★★★ Watched by Jennifer 02 Jan, 2016

Definite plot though very silly. Set gags throughout that have zero to do with the story. The substitute Zeppo is as bad or worse than the real Zeppo. Very funny.

• Sean Kelly

★★★★ Watched by Sean Kelly 01 Jan, 2016

Save for a somewhat racist blackface moment, this was more Marx Bros fun.