• Peter Valerio

★★★★½ Rewatched by Peter Valerio 16 Dec, 2014

A horse doctor poses as a doctor to try to save a struggling sanitarium.

Don't drink that poison. It's four dollars an ounce.

• Emilio J. Barrero

★★★★½ Watched by Emilio J. Barrero 09 Nov, 2014

De lo mejorcito que vais a poder encontrar.

• Niklas Larsson

★★½ Watched by Niklas Larsson 05 Nov, 2014

Not terribly funny anymore

• Nuno Costa

★★★ Watched by Nuno Costa 20 Sep, 2014

Viewed on YouTube

A typical Marx Bros. film (which is good) with some added musical and dance numbers (which is bad) and has more of a plot (which is bad).
    The songs and dancing takes away from the zaniness and antics of the chaotic Bros. giving you time to breathe, which you don't really need.

• Gnske

★★★½ Added by Gnske

Groucho Marx once again delivers an hour and a half of gold.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 08 Feb, 2011

A Day at the Races was the third Marx brothers film I ever saw and it was a bit of a letdown compared to Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera. Nevertheless, it was mostly entertaining and hilarious on several occasions, and when it focused on the brothers being as funny as only they knew how to be, it was incredibly amusing. On the other hand, the musical numbers were too many and too dull, and they're to blame for the movie's excessive length.

• Bongo Tango

★★★½ Watched by Bongo Tango 05 Sep, 2014

A few decent bits, and though it's admirable that MGM wanted a Marx Bros. movie with a strong plot, it doesn't have the same bite and speed that makes me love their older stuff. Paramount Marx Bros. thumbed its nose at everything and everybody. MGM Marx Bros. isn't exactly respectful, but they seem to have a certain amount of compassion and humanity, which ain't really their "Thing." And while one of the music numbers is pretty beautiful and cinematic, the…

• Bill Baker

★★★ Rewatched by Bill Baker 28 Aug, 2014

Get your tootsie-frootsie ice cream! Interesting to see the poster saying "the years BIG laugh, music and girl show!" An acknowledgement that this is the motion picture descendent of burlesque and minstrel shows, with all the sociopolitical implications. I have to say that in spite of minstrel show stereotypes, my favorite scene in the movie is the Ivie Anderson number "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm", with its incredible swing dancing sequence. And then there's that weird water ballet. There is…

• Amy Ashdown

★★★★ Watched by Amy Ashdown 10 Aug, 2014

Whilst A Day at the Races isn't the best Marx brothers film, it is still filled with enough zany humour to not disappoint. Groucho still has zingy one-liners ("either he's dead or my watch has stopped") and Harpo's 'Wreckmaninoff' sequence is brilliant. With the longest running time of any Marx bros. movie, the film drags a bit, and there are a few too many awkward pauses to let the audience catch up with the jokes. However, I really enjoyed it and it was the perfect movie for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

• Daniel

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel 01 Oct, 1993

One of my early favorite movies.

• anne_f_

★★★½ Watched by anne_f_ 25 Jul, 2014

More Marx brothers silliness. The comedy doesn't quite work as well as it should, but perhaps that's because I'm three quarters of a century too young?

• Warren

★★★½ Watched by Warren 01 Aug, 2014

This is my second Marx Bros feature. The first was A Night in Casablanca, which was fun and exciting. This one also has some great moments, but what I came to realize is that A Night in Casablanca recycled some material from this film -- two whole scenes, practically. I'm curious to see if A Night at the Opera has anything I've seen in these two. And one of these days I'll also have to get to Duck Soup, which…