• talisencrw (William Wood)

★★★★★ Watched by talisencrw (William Wood) 15 Jun, 2016

One of the greatest comedies of all time, period--and the finest comedic group at their peak, though I slightly prefer Duck Soup. Still, you won't find any better than this.

Their hilarity and zaniness of the core trio is spellbinding, and their consistent comedic inventiveness is remarkable. The pacing, utilizing the occasional charming musical passages of both Chico and Harpo, are to provide a necessary counterpoint to the set-pieces, otherwise it would be too much for a cinephile to take in at one sitting.

• Swampflix

★★★★ Watched by Swampflix 04 Mar, 2016

“Taking physical, slapstick comedy to deeply deranged, yet subtly masterful territory, Harpo is a one of a kind talent. Part of the reason I ended up liking the somewhat minor Marx title A Day at the Races so much is that Harpo is so damn funny in it. I was laughing at his madman antics as the criminal horse jockey Stuffy so hard that almost all of the film’s third act problems (of which there are many) ultimately felt meaningless.”

Read the full review here.

• Jonathan

★★★★★ Watched by Jonathan 30 Jun, 2016

If you have to think of a slap stick comedy then you gotta relate back to the 1930's with the Marx Brothers. Here is a film that will have you laughing all the way through with every scene they are in.

The Marx Brothers star in this slap stick comedy that involves horse racing. Each one works for the Standish Sanitarium owned by Judy Standish played by Maureen O'Sullivan. From Groucho Marx as Hugo Z. Hackenbush who is a veterinarian…

• schwanensee

★★½ Watched by schwanensee 18 Jun, 2016

Some fun moments, but also some galling moments, due mostly to the ever-unnecessary romantic subplot. And Allan Jones's singing. Who asked for that? Not me, dammit.

• kieslow

Watched by kieslow 30 May, 2016

Bon, d'entré de jeu, précisons que je ne connais pas beaucoup les Marx Brothers... je crois que c'est mon premier visionnement complet d'un de leur film. Quelques bons passages, surtout dû a l'allongement et-ou l'exaggération de gags. Par contre, je dois avouer que les numéros musicaux sérieux (oui monsieur, t'as bien lu) m'ont parus longs et leur présence assez incongru dans ce film, qui autrement se veut un divertissement flirtant avec l'absurde.

• Tom Beasley

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Beasley 01 May, 2016

The Marx Brothers are just brilliant and this is them at their absolute best. Groucho, as usual, is a machine gun of tremendous one-liners and the physical comedy is just great. Some of the racial stereotyping is a little uncomfortable, but it was the 1930s, I guess.

• Vasquez

★★★½ Watched by Vasquez 16 Apr, 2016

A solid Marx Bros movie. Liked the second half more than the first - included some great comedy scenes (Groucho attempting to seduce the blonde despite Chico and Harpo's interference) and some great musical numbers (marred by an unfortunate blackface scene). Good stuff overall, although not great.

• Jonathan Woollen

★★★ Watched by Jonathan Woollen 27 Mar, 2016

Basically a solid-ish misfire because the brothers just don't get enough to do, or maybe the right spaces in which to do them. A sanitarium sounds like the ideal location, but really it's only the sight of them washing their hands all kookily that gives that setting its due. (Well, and Margaret Dumont willingly batted around a folding examination chair.) And if you compare Marx movies by their musical sections (granted: this is only my fourth), this one lacks something…

• Daniel PG Simpson

★★★ Watched by Daniel PG Simpson 27 Mar, 2016

Though the Marx Brothers' early films were basically just pure comedy, this largely changed when they signed with MGM. Though their comedic style would largely remain, the films would also be imbued with more standard romances and conventional storylines which were largely independent of the brothers comedy. That's certainly the case with A Day at the Races, which features a boring story about young lovers trying to save their sanitarium. I couldn't give a crap about these people or their…

• Auggie Heschmeyer

★★½ Watched by Auggie Heschmeyer 12 Mar, 2016

When the film lets the gags happen, they're great. However, most of the film is bogged down with too many unnecessary musical numbers.

• Quinn Bailey

★★★★ Rewatched by Quinn Bailey 19 Feb, 2016

The Marx Brothers mean a lot to me. They were my gateway to classic cinema, as my first childhood viewing of A Night at the Opera thoroughly shattered my perception that old movies were nothing but stodgy, slow, and boring. My DVDs of their films have been thoroughly worn down by far too much usage. References to the Freedonian national anthem, tootsie-frootsie ice cream, and how there's no such thing as the sanity clause are daily occurrences in my family.…

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 02 Feb, 2016 2

Chaotic fun. I'm not crazy about the horse race at the end although it's essential to the story. The rest of the movie is one great gag after another. I also really loved Chico and Harpo, and their bits on the piano. I need to see more Marx Bros.