• Ingmar

★★★ Rewatched by Ingmar 06 Mar, 2014

Grucho Marx, ladies and gentlemen. The man is on fire with hilarious one-liner after the other. Sadly, the film is bogged down with idiotic romantic subplots, lengthy musical numbers (why?) and finally, good ol' fashion classic cinema racism.

Still, I love you Grucho.

• Timcop

★★★★ Rewatched by Timcop 05 Mar, 2014

Some observations on this film:

"Hey, don't drink that poison! That's $4.00 an ounce!"

"May I examine this, please? Do you actually give those to your patients? Isn't it awfully large for a pill?"
    "Well, it was too small for a basketball, and I didn't know what to do with it. Say, you're awfully large for a pill yourself."

"We come to hang the paper."
    "How about hanging yourselves?"

"You've got it all wrong. This is my aunt. She's come to talk over some old family matters."
    "I wish I had an aunt look like that."
    "Well, take it up with your uncle."

• Paul Boyne

★★★ Rewatched by Paul Boyne 03 Mar, 2014

This seems to be well-regarded among Marx brothers fans, but I've never been too impressed. At 109 minutes, this is their longest film by over ten minutes, and it certainly feels like it, with at least a couple musical sequences too many. And there may be one or two great sequences -- Chico's con artistry is the standout -- but for the most part the comedy feels pedestrian to me. The gamble that paid off so well in A Night…

• Brent Paton

★★★ Watched by Brent Paton 27 Jan, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Michael Strenski

★★★ Rewatched by Michael Strenski 07 Jan, 2014 1

This film is 43 minutes longer than either Horse Feathers or Duck Soup. Boy, does it feel like it.

It's amazing how quickly the Marx brothers became toothless after signing with MGM. I don't even think as highly of A Night at the Opera as most people do, but it's still a much more consistent film than this. In fact, there are so many ups and downs here that I felt like I was on a roller coaster of hilarity…

• PUNQ

★★★★ Watched by PUNQ 09 Dec, 2013

"....and thats Dr. Steinberg Junior" - Groucho delivers a 1930s penis joke!!! How did that one get passed the censures?!

And I loved this Marx Brothers comedy! More then I did Duck Soup (1933) and a very close rival to A Night at the Opera (1935). In a way the Marx Brothers are toned down here. They've finally understood that they don't have to deliver 2 puns a second and with that take out all the jokes that don't make…

• Arnold Furious

★★★ Watched by Arnold Furious 01 Dec, 2013

#5 of the December Project 2.

I've seen a few Marx Brothers movies and I'm generally more of a Groucho man than Harpo or Chico. Although in A Day at the Races, Harpo, usually my least favourite Marx, has his day in the sun. The best sequences feature him and his piano destroying scene is the best in the film. Other good scenes tend to involve a mixture of Marx's including the excellent medical examination scene with all three or…

• Jimmy Jones

★★★ Added by Jimmy Jones

Solid Marx Brothers comedy, but probably their first to be missing the charm of their earlier films. It has spectacle and zaniness, but the script seems to be lacking.

• Sally Jane Black

Watched by Sally Jane Black 15 Sep, 2013 1

It has everything you could want from the Marx Brothers, but also an unfortunate moment of blackface. It also features one of the longest musical segments in a Marx Brothers film that I can name that doesn't feature the Marx Brothers in any major role. It's a great performance, but it feels a little too shoe-horned in--even for the anarchic event that is a Marx Brothers film.

• russman

★★½ Watched by russman 11 Sep, 2013

• JC Shaffer

★★★★ Added by JC Shaffer

The one with horses (and Tutsi Frutsi ice cream).

• Bryan Colley

★★★ Added by Bryan Colley

The only Marx Brothers movie where the musical numbers are better than the gags. They're really cool numbers though. Humor is spotty throughout, with a couple of delightful scenes of complete chaos. Script by Robert Pirosh (a big TV writer), George Seaton (Miracle on 34th Street and many others), and George Oppenheimer (Adventures of Don Juan, Topper).