• Adrian Zachow

★★★★ Rewatched by Adrian Zachow 29 Apr, 2015

The boy's manic shtick is as sublime and surreal as ever, as they try to save a sanitarium sitting next to a horse race track from closure. Solid stuff, if only the two lengthy musical interludes featuring forgettable songs had been kept shorter.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

It's very difficult to rank the Marx Brothers' flicks - NONE are perfect, but ALL have moments of perfection. This one - with plot nonsense about a horse who might save a sanitarium - is no different, but whenever Hugo Z. Hackenbush is onscreen, it is divine.

Get ya Tutsi-Frutsie Ice-Cream!!!

• kineticandroid

Rewatched by kineticandroid 28 Mar, 2015

"Emily, I have a confession to make. I really am a horse doctor. But marry me, and I'll never look at another horse."

• tpkulovitz

★★★½ Watched by tpkulovitz 13 Mar, 2015

I enjoy the Marx Brothers a lot. This one is quite funny, but the overly long musical numbers kill the momentum in a lot of spots.

• Peter Gatt

★★★★ Rewatched by Peter Gatt 11 Mar, 2015

Wonderful film with the Marx Bros as they try and save a Sanitarium from closing

If you haven't seen this make it your next film you see

• Cliffy73

Rewatched by Cliffy73 21 Feb, 2015

Controlled chaos, which gets better as it becomes less controlled. But since I'm an unironic fan of big production numbers and old-time crooning, the interstitial stuff works for me in a way that it doesn't for some.

• S

★★★½ Watched by S 28 Feb, 2015

Those musical numbers seem out of place. The sets and cinematography go from mundane to super charged as soon as one of them starts.

• Vince Di Meglio

Watched by Vince Di Meglio 21 Feb, 2015

Gil: Are you a man or a mouse?
    Groucho: You put a piece of cheese down there and you'll find out.

My Marx Bros favorites ranked:

letterboxd.com/vince_dimeglio/list/the-marx-brothers/

• Bob Castle

★★★ Watched by Bob Castle 22 Feb, 2015

If you ever wanted to know what a vaudeville show was like, go ahead and check out this film from the Marx Bros. While it drags on in places, I have to say seeing the skits performed is what keeps the film afloat.

• ejeffb2004

Watched by ejeffb2004 21 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

From TCM

Before A Night at the Opera (1935) had even hit the theaters, writers were already at work on a script for MGM's second Marx Brothers film. But it would take half a dozen writers over a year and a half and eighteen different scripts before Irving Thalberg, the head of production at MGM, would give A Day at the Races (1937) the go-ahead. Scriptwriter George Seaton recalls the process they went through, "Mr. Thalberg was most kind and…

• teapot37

★★★½ Watched by teapot37 15 Feb, 2015

A bit of a palate cleanser after all the Oscar movies yesterday. The new head doctor of a financially-strapped hospital (Groucho) has to team up with a local tout and his jockey friend (Chico and Harpo) in order to win enough money in a horse race to keep the place open.

• Chris Ortman

★★★★½ Watched by Chris Ortman 14 Feb, 2015

“If I hold you any closer, I'll be in back of you.”

One of the quintessential Marx brothers movies, containing the classic sly jokes, innuendo and sight gags that made the siblings so famous (Groucho considered this his favorite Marx movie). While not quite up to the hilarity and lunacy of the absolute best – “Duck Soup” cannot be topped – this is right up there. Consistently funny with some of the most absurd sequences ever put to celluloid; the triple examination of Margaret Dumont is the height of insanity and Groucho can make a simple “thank you” hilarious.