• Heretic

Watched by Heretic 18 May, 2015

Even worse than A Night at the Opera. The ending left me truly sad.

• AlphaDream

★★★★★ Added by AlphaDream

this used to be on tv all the time

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★ Rewatched by Adrian Zachow 29 Apr, 2015

The boy's manic shtick is as sublime and surreal as ever, as they try to save a sanitarium sitting next to a horse race track from closure. Solid stuff, if only the two lengthy musical interludes featuring forgettable songs had been kept shorter.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

It's very difficult to rank the Marx Brothers' flicks - NONE are perfect, but ALL have moments of perfection. This one - with plot nonsense about a horse who might save a sanitarium - is no different, but whenever Hugo Z. Hackenbush is onscreen, it is divine.

Get ya Tutsi-Frutsie Ice-Cream!!!

• kineticandroid

Rewatched by kineticandroid 28 Mar, 2015

"Emily, I have a confession to make. I really am a horse doctor. But marry me, and I'll never look at another horse."

• tpkulovitz

★★★½ Watched by tpkulovitz 13 Mar, 2015

I enjoy the Marx Brothers a lot. This one is quite funny, but the overly long musical numbers kill the momentum in a lot of spots.

• Peter Gatt

★★★★ Rewatched by Peter Gatt 11 Mar, 2015

Wonderful film with the Marx Bros as they try and save a Sanitarium from closing

If you haven't seen this make it your next film you see

• Cliffy73

Rewatched by Cliffy73 21 Feb, 2015

Controlled chaos, which gets better as it becomes less controlled. But since I'm an unironic fan of big production numbers and old-time crooning, the interstitial stuff works for me in a way that it doesn't for some.

• S

★★★½ Watched by S 28 Feb, 2015

Those musical numbers seem out of place. The sets and cinematography go from mundane to super charged as soon as one of them starts.

• Vince Di Meglio

Watched by Vince Di Meglio 21 Feb, 2015

Gil: Are you a man or a mouse?
    Groucho: You put a piece of cheese down there and you'll find out.

My Marx Bros favorites ranked:

letterboxd.com/vince_dimeglio/list/the-marx-brothers/

• Bob Castle

★★★ Watched by Bob Castle 22 Feb, 2015

If you ever wanted to know what a vaudeville show was like, go ahead and check out this film from the Marx Bros. While it drags on in places, I have to say seeing the skits performed is what keeps the film afloat.

• ejeffb2004

Watched by ejeffb2004 21 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

From TCM

Before A Night at the Opera (1935) had even hit the theaters, writers were already at work on a script for MGM's second Marx Brothers film. But it would take half a dozen writers over a year and a half and eighteen different scripts before Irving Thalberg, the head of production at MGM, would give A Day at the Races (1937) the go-ahead. Scriptwriter George Seaton recalls the process they went through, "Mr. Thalberg was most kind and…