• Kane Le-Petit

★★★★ Added by Kane Le-Petit

Well acted , brutally realistic and just a fantastic overall gangster flick.

• kvnvis

★★★ Watched by kvnvis 20 Feb, 2015

The inhumanities of the gangster life.

Friendships, love and family are all sacrificed when you lead a life as a gangster, and it's not all surprising to me to see this in this film. Having seen countless films and dramas about mobs and triads in Asian cinema, I kind of expected this and this film didn't particularly deliver anything new to impress.

What I liked here was the acting. I'm somewhat of a fan of Jo In Sung and Jin…

• Terése Flynn

★★½ Watched by Terése Flynn 27 Jan, 2015 10

Byung-du have stood in line for the merry-go-round way too long. He's in a hurry to experience the fun of the ride, so he cuts in line. But when he's on the attraction he realizes he wasn't tall enough to ride it. And that is A Dirty Carnival

The first half our or so of a A Dirty Carnival is all about getting to know our low life gangster's motives for wanting to move up in life. To take that…

• Mr. DuLac

★★★½ Watched by Mr. DuLac 01 Dec, 2014 2

Gangster's just a label. I'm not as bad as you think.
    -Kim Byung-doo

The rise of a small time gangster to prominence and his subsequent disastrous fall is hardly new material. Look no further then the films that invented the gangster genre; Little Caesar, The Public Enemy and Scarface. All three films have this exact plot, but not only are they distinctive in their own right, but this core story has been retold and retooled over and over again for…

• Dollman

★★★★ Watched by Dollman 08 Nov, 2014

Follows a low-tier mob boss and his day-to-day life. Great naturalistic fight scenes. A real rollercoaster.

• chandrukrish24

★★★★ Watched by chandrukrish24 22 Oct, 2014

A Dirty Carnival - Semma. Surely a cut above the rest. Best Korean flick among ones i watched in recent times. #RockSolid #NeoNoir

• iceberrie

★★★★ Rewatched by iceberrie 23 Sep, 2014

It may look like a common gangster movie. There’s not exactly heartbreakingly memorable cinematography, either. But… with tender, yet intense performance by In-Seong Jo, the film becomes brilliant.

• THE GREAT FINNISH DICKSUCK

Added by THE GREAT FINNISH DICKSUCK

Fantastically choreographed fights. Worthy of watch even just for those scenes.

• Jacob Smith

★★★½ Watched by Jacob Smith 10 Aug, 2014

Technically very well made, with strong themes running through it, but there's something missing to elevate it from being more than just good. Not sure what it was; can't really put my finger on it. Still, a good film. Recommend to fans of the genre.

• nyk

Watched by nyk 02 Aug, 2014

The actions sequences in the film are brilliant and rustic. But the film is a tad too slow which doesn't stick well as it's characters don't sit down and realize much but move swiftly about their next task.

• Reviewpuram Akilan

★★½ Watched by Reviewpuram Akilan 19 Jun, 2014

Everything in this film feels very "wannabe", except for the wonderful premise. A hero who is just about being the quintessential anti-hero throughout, the villain who only cares about being rich, and a whole load of other cliches. The film desperately wants to be the Asian "Godfather", but the characters and milieu aren't unique enough to make it memorable. It felt like too many characters and stories from many gangster films were being packed in to one single storyline. I…

• Zombeaver

★★★½ Watched by Zombeaver 31 May, 2014

"Jopok" is a term I've only recently become familiar with despite having been watching Korean films for a number of years now, including quite a few that would fit into this category. Japan has Yakuza, China has Triads, we've got the mafia, and South Korea has Jopok.

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for gangster movies. Scarface is still, in my estimation, one of the greatest films of all time. I've always found tragic characters to be the most interesting, compelling,…