• Dollman

★★★★ Watched by Dollman 08 Nov, 2014

Follows a low-tier mob boss and his day-to-day life. Great naturalistic fight scenes. A real rollercoaster.

• chandrukrish24

★★★★ Watched by chandrukrish24 22 Oct, 2014

A Dirty Carnival - Semma. Surely a cut above the rest. Best Korean flick among ones i watched in recent times. #RockSolid #NeoNoir

• iceberrie

★★★★ Rewatched by iceberrie 23 Sep, 2014

It may look like a common gangster movie. There’s not exactly heartbreakingly memorable cinematography, either. But… with tender, yet intense performance by In-Seong Jo, the film becomes brilliant.

• THE GREAT FINNISH DICKSUCK

Added by THE GREAT FINNISH DICKSUCK

Fantastically choreographed fights. Worthy of watch even just for those scenes.

• Jacob Smith

★★★½ Watched by Jacob Smith 10 Aug, 2014

Technically very well made, with strong themes running through it, but there's something missing to elevate it from being more than just good. Not sure what it was; can't really put my finger on it. Still, a good film. Recommend to fans of the genre.

• nyk

Watched by nyk 02 Aug, 2014

The actions sequences in the film are brilliant and rustic. But the film is a tad too slow which doesn't stick well as it's characters don't sit down and realize much but move swiftly about their next task.

• Reviewpuram Akilan

★★½ Watched by Reviewpuram Akilan 19 Jun, 2014

Everything in this film feels very "wannabe", except for the wonderful premise. A hero who is just about being the quintessential anti-hero throughout, the villain who only cares about being rich, and a whole load of other cliches. The film desperately wants to be the Asian "Godfather", but the characters and milieu aren't unique enough to make it memorable. It felt like too many characters and stories from many gangster films were being packed in to one single storyline. I…

• Zombeaver

★★★½ Watched by Zombeaver 31 May, 2014

"Jopok" is a term I've only recently become familiar with despite having been watching Korean films for a number of years now, including quite a few that would fit into this category. Japan has Yakuza, China has Triads, we've got the mafia, and South Korea has Jopok.

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for gangster movies. Scarface is still, in my estimation, one of the greatest films of all time. I've always found tragic characters to be the most interesting, compelling,…

• Heljar Wilhelmsen

★★★★ Watched by Heljar Wilhelmsen 27 Apr, 2014

Let's explore South-Korea
    #35

Once again, South-Korea hits the nail on the head with another gangster flick. Dirty, gritty and violent, "A Dirty Carnival" exposes the life of petty, small-time gangsters in a stylish fashion. It's popularity in the country of vengeance and stylish violence is well-deserved.

Man of the day is the devilishly handsome Kim Byung-doo (Jo In-sung), who's a stone-cold killer with family problems and a stuck-up boss. With ruthless methods, such as bringing a knife to a…

• Mr_Vengeace

★★★★½ Added by Mr_Vengeace

Hands-down one of the best films to come out of South Korea. My favorite SK gangster film alongside NEW WORLD. This one is directed by one of my favorite directors, Yoo Ha [A FROZEN FLOWER]. The story follows a man rising in the ranks of his gang, and he gets a little bloody in order to do so. The film is long, as most gangster flicks are, but it never goes stale or astray from the spirit of the film.…

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

Well done for the most part, even if the movie-within-a movie twist kind of derails a bit the story.

• Bunkerwelt

★★★½ Watched by Bunkerwelt 11 Apr, 2014 1

Since I'm a huge fan of the recent wave of south korean revenge thrillers I tend to check out other genres from that country as well, especially when I'm able to grab the BluRay for free from my good friend Mr. JamesLebowski. Now "A Dirty Carnival" isn't so far off from my usual fare, falling comfortably into the rise-and-fall gangster movie genre. Basically you can say that this is the south korean version of a Scorsese movie.

A young gangster…