• Codie "ZapperLife" Flynn

★★★ Watched by Codie "ZapperLife" Flynn 13 May, 2015 5

#9 My Year Abroad; France

It's been over a decade since I watched 'Amèlie', my only Jaunet thus far. I can no longer speak to just exactly how good it was, but it's no doubt I adored it. I do look forward to revisit it in order to figure out just how great I find it, but 'A Very Long Engagement' never managed to reach me in the same way.

It's ambitious, and Jaunet's style of cinematography is certainly beautiful…

• Marna Larsen

★★★★ Added by Marna Larsen

The problem with me reviewing films is I often second guess my opinions thinking 'well, isn't this a movie a somewhat educated middle class white thirty year old would think was powerful or moving, or something something about the cinematography though I barely know what that means?' I don't trust it when I like a movie. But terrible movies aimed at stupid and terrible people, those I feel smug in recognizing that they are terrible. Ha! I can tell this…

• madalice

★★★½ Added by madalice

Very long indeed. But the ending was worth the wait.

• Sumner Forbes

★★★ Watched by Sumner Forbes 26 Apr, 2015

This film is all over the place. In most cases, films that have such stark tonal and formal shifts throughout don’t hit their marks. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, however, succeeds in most areas of the film. Starring the best and brightest French actors of this generation, the film is star-studded in a way that most can’t even touch. The large budget also provided for impressive battle scenes and pyrotechnics.

These flourishes are welcome, but at the end of the day, it is…

• msmanson

★★★★½ Added by msmanson

Incredibly beautiful.

• Brian Hann

★★★½ Added by Brian Hann

Audrey Tautou is great in this drama which looks into the death of her husband in the First World War

• Bill Shannon

★★★★ Added by Bill Shannon

An outstanding, compelling story that is party mystery, part war movie, and all love story.

Mathilde (Tatou) is not sure whether her fiance Manech (Ulliel) is dead or alive after being lost in World War One. While all signs point to his death, Mathilde holds out hope, and launches her own ad hoc investigation.

The film starts by setting up the war angle, then shifting to Mathilde's search. Everything then unfolds, showing small events of the war, revealing bits of…

• Ian Bradley

★★★½ Watched by Ian Bradley 25 Jan, 2005

Original Title: Un Long Dimanche De Fiancailles

• Kelly Magovern

★★★★½ Watched by Kelly Magovern 29 Jan, 2015

Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies always look great (at least of the three other ones I have seen). They all have a similarly unique visual style. There are a lot of characters to keep track of in this one, which made it a bit confusing for me at first. But once I got a handle on everyone, and the story in general, it became a pretty fun ride. But be forewarned as some of the war scenes are extremely realistic, even brutal at times.

• Nidhi Srivastava

★★★ Watched by Nidhi Srivastava 25 Jan, 2015

See this is the kind of film Audrey Tatou should do. Audrey, and that fabulous woman Marion Cotillard. I also loved most of the supporting cast. The acting was fabulous.

But there were wayyyyy too many elements in the film. You know? Extreme gore (pretty sure I'll have nightmares), that dry french humour, the romance, the kids and animals, the emotion, the sepia tint, the satire, and on top of all this, a soundtrack that was just...too reminiscent of Interstellar.…

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 17 Aug, 2009

The story tells of a young woman's relentless search for her fiancée, who has disappeared from the trenches of the Somme during World War One.
    Sumptuous cinematic storytelling with a touching and magical, but never too sentimental love story. Probably all made to fit the star's character, who once again is wonderful.
    Just a note on the German title: It's once again a sad indication for the German cinema situation that the distributors mistrusted the commercial appeal of the original film title. So, while the international English title is an accurate translation, the Germans were confronted with: Mathilde - A Big Love

• Brent Paton

★★★ Added by Brent Paton

I saw this in 2004. I thought it had a lot of good qualities but by the end I felt disappointed and some flaws detracted from the whole. I will watch it again at some point.