• Kelly Magovern

★★★★½ Watched by Kelly Magovern 29 Jan, 2015

Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies always look great (at least of the three other ones I have seen). They all have a similarly unique visual style. There are a lot of characters to keep track of in this one, which made it a bit confusing for me at first. But once I got a handle on everyone, and the story in general, it became a pretty fun ride. But be forewarned as some of the war scenes are extremely realistic, even brutal at times.

• Nidhi Srivastava

★★★ Watched by Nidhi Srivastava 25 Jan, 2015

See this is the kind of film Audrey Tatou should do. Audrey, and that fabulous woman Marion Cotillard. I also loved most of the supporting cast. The acting was fabulous.

But there were wayyyyy too many elements in the film. You know? Extreme gore (pretty sure I'll have nightmares), that dry french humour, the romance, the kids and animals, the emotion, the sepia tint, the satire, and on top of all this, a soundtrack that was just...too reminiscent of Interstellar.…

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 17 Aug, 2009

The story tells of a young woman's relentless search for her fiancée, who has disappeared from the trenches of the Somme during World War One.
    Sumptuous cinematic storytelling with a touching and magical, but never too sentimental love story. Probably all made to fit the star's character, who once again is wonderful.
    Just a note on the German title: It's once again a sad indication for the German cinema situation that the distributors mistrusted the commercial appeal of the original film title. So, while the international English title is an accurate translation, the Germans were confronted with: Mathilde - A Big Love

• Brent Paton

★★★ Added by Brent Paton

I saw this in 2004. I thought it had a lot of good qualities but by the end I felt disappointed and some flaws detracted from the whole. I will watch it again at some point.

• Mirthbound

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mirthbound 12 Nov, 2014

Of course my favorite film about war is a Jean-Pierre Jeunet romance drama.

• Devonia_Rosia

★★★ Added by Devonia_Rosia

Unfortunately, unlike Mathilde, I gave up hope long before the final credits. Among a brilliant cast, the stunning Audrey Tautou brings to life this sepia war mystery, with undertones of romance. At times of revelation within the film's mystery storyline, I would sigh an excited "Ahh", as if a puzzle piece had finally found its place. At other times, I was piecing together who was who among the vast array of characters. I found that due to the minimal time…

• Daryl Purdie

★★★★ Watched by Daryl Purdie 30 Sep, 2014

#Filmreview A very long engagement ★★★★ Romantic WW1 film has superb craft, big sets, charm & quirkiness. Audrey Tautou is sweet as always.

• SJHoneywell

★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

A pretty movie,
    But also a slow one. I
    Should like it better.

1001plus.blogspot.com/2012/01/alls-fair-in-love-and-trench-warfare.html

• argesanchez

Watched by argesanchez 29 May, 2014

Es un romance, pero poco predecible. Me mantuvo pendiente toda la película sin saber qué seguía y ni cómo iba a ser el final.

• Bruno_Lisboa

★★★★ Added by Bruno_Lisboa

Mais um grande filme da dupla Audrey Tautou e Jean-Pierre Jeunet (respectivamente atriz e diretor do sublime O fabuloso destino de Amèlie Poulan), Eterno Amor é realmente emocionante.
    Ambientando na primeira guerra mundial, o filme retrata a história da francesa Mathilde (Audrey) que desde a infância vive com os tios (pois perdeu os pais em um acidente trágico) e sofre de uma doença incurável para a época, a poliomelite que a prejudica a andar de forma normal.
    Sua vida seguia…

• Sean Balanger

★★★★½ Watched by Sean Balanger 15 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I think I would like to watch this again. It's kind of like Amélie, also directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, in that there are so many characters and so many different versions of what may or may not have taken place. Seeing it for the first time makes it hard to follow when there is so much to look at, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet always gives you something to look at. The camera flows through this film beautifully. I expected this to…

• Jeff Broitman

★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff Broitman 19 Jul, 2014

I had seen this film before, but for one reason or another it never registered that strongly. But watching it now, it is a beautiful, artfully composed epic story of True Love, Hope, Memory, Mystery, and empathy.
    Set during and immediately after WW I, the film begins with the story of 5 condemned French soldiers, convicted of cowardice for self-mutilating themselves. Instead of going before the firing squad, like the unlucky soldiers in Kubrick's Paths of Glory, the 5 are…