• Michael Camilleri

★★★ Rewatched by Michael Camilleri 29 Aug, 2015

This really should have been two movies. The first 'half', focusing on Wright freeing Maya is over too quickly, the story overly condensed so as to give as much time as possible for the second 'half' that focus on Edgeworth's trial and the mystery of the DL-6 case. For a person unfamiliar with the games, too much goes by too quickly with little time spent fleshing out the characters.

• OldLee

★★★★ Watched by OldLee 27 Aug, 2015

Oh yeah, I like Miike-movies a lot a lot a lot. Fun fun fun to watch, how full of lust films can be made and how different in the look that can become. Oh and how much fun the camera work and the costume design!! Aaaah, good movies are a blessing.

• Lionel

★★★½ Watched by Lionel 15 Aug, 2015

I watched this with Aziraphale, who is a big fan of the game this is based on. And it's good for me I did watch it with her, because I would not have understood much of it otherwise. Most of the film was just me asking her "What's the context for this?" And "Was this really in the game?" (The answer to that second one was usually yes.) By the end I felt an actual appreciation for how close this…

• Christian Katzorke

★★★½ Watched by Christian Katzorke 12 Aug, 2015

I had a lot of fun. Even if the movie is at least 30 minutes too long (the last 45 minutes are really tough). Miike treats the franchise with respect and created a movie that can be loved by Ace Attorney fans.
    Not imaginable what Uwe Boll would have done...

• Craig Skinner

Watched by Craig Skinner 03 Aug, 2015

What is most surprising about Ace Attorney is that Miike actually takes the material seriously and treats it not as an excuse to go wild but to explore themes of truth and justice and to tell an engrossing whodunnit. It doesn't half drag though and considering its episodic plotting would have probably worked better as a TV series. In fact, I'd love to see this spin off into a Miike directed TV series.

• Paul Mizzi

★★★½ Watched by Paul Mizzi 29 Jul, 2015

Probably a half hour too long, but Ace Attorney is most definitely one of the most interesting video game adaptations ever released. Set in a future with holograms and no regard for the current rules of court, the film is ridiculous, surreal, over the top but always entertaining.

• Sascha Nolte

★★★ Watched by Sascha Nolte 16 Jul, 2015

Nette Ideen und gute Regie - mir persönlich ist der Film allerdings etwas zu infantil.

• Darcy

cinematography: 5/5

just brilliant

• Michael Dang

★★★½ Watched by Michael Dang 04 Jun, 2015

Ever since I played the very first Ace Attorney game on my sister's DS I was instantly hooked to the insanity of this Japanese court room lawyer game where you play a spiked up haired defense lawyer, Phoenix Wright, struggling to defend his clients to murders.

If you're a fan of this game please check out the movie. This whole movie is basically the most faithful adaption of a video game EVER. From the crazy hairdos to the crazy futuristic…

• Sweet T

★★ Added by Sweet T

it was really long, but good twists and evidence and all that you'd expect from a courtroom movie

the scenes outside of the courtroom were a nice change of scenery and all, and yet they made me wish I were back in court

• Joe

★★★ Watched by Joe 28 Apr, 2015

The only DS game I ever owned was Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (because a month after I got a DS it was stolen to me. Fuck you Ashley). I have a fondness for the silly courtroom game. I also really love Takashi Miike so joy all around when I found out he was doing the movie (although how bizarre is that really?).

And yeah. Its pretty good. Its the game in live action form. The angles, the silliness, and my god the hair. Glorious.

• Kelly McRae

★★★★ Rewatched by Kelly McRae 12 Apr, 2015

The best game-to-film adaptation I've ever seen. And its pulled off perfectly! It has all the silly moments of the game, the characters are superbly accurate, and it adds just enough new material that you can't be too certain of what's about to happen.

But Redd White should have pink hair...