• Chevalier

★★★½ Added by Chevalier

Miike creates the first good movie based on a video game. The curse has been broken...for now.

• CJ Roy

★★★★★ Rewatched by CJ Roy 15 Mar, 2014

My vote for the best intro into Miike's filmography (though I haven't seen a lot) as it demonstrates his incredible ability to remain formally precise despite switching tones completely. Ace Attorney is also quite brilliant in how intelligently it incorporates the video games into the film. The court room as dramatic play. The static animations (editing of von Karma at the end). Wright's antics. The stupid questions you can ask and how it pisses everyone off (So that would make…

• bowi3

★★★★ Added by bowi3

the zoom onto the hairdo is one of the great small cinematic treats that miike just keeps on giving

• Sara Gomes

★★★★ Watched by Sara Gomes 06 Feb, 2014 2

Ace Attorney is a movie based on a videogame named Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, where we play a rookie attorney trying to solve a difficult case.

I have to say I've only played the first case, some time ago, but I was very impressed with the way they approached the videogame elements in the movie. It may seem a bit silly to watch real actors fall to the ground when someone says something stupid or to watch Phoenix sweating abundantly…

• Max Häßlein

★★ Watched by Max Häßlein 30 Jan, 2014

This is a movie about hairdos, based on a game about hairdos.

• Justin Decloux

Watched by Justin Decloux 29 Jan, 2014

Miike works in his own fimic universe, but he's hitting the mainstream genre button pretty smoothly with ACE ATTORNEY - based on the Capcom video game - as the film never sags, the case are fun to follow, and while the characterization is nil, things breeze along fast enough to make the whole thing a fun trip.

• Matthias

★★★½ Watched by Matthias 25 Dec, 2013

It wasn't kinda cool, tbh.

• exploder

★★½ Watched by exploder 20 Dec, 2013

Very true to the game - this might be the best game to movie adaptation I've seen. I really like that the movie doesn't take itself too seriously.

• Samuel Márquez Rosado

★★★½ Watched by Samuel Márquez Rosado 17 Dec, 2013

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• SergioOvejero

★★★★ Watched by SergioOvejero 14 Dec, 2013

Entra automáticamente en el top 5 de adaptaciones de videojuegos de toda la historia.

Casi un calco 1:1 de un par de casos del primer juego de la saga, con algunos planos milimétricamente copiados de éste. Tiene un par de soluciones formales para adaptar el juego muy interesantes, como la revisión de la mecánica de presentar pruebas o la concepción de los juicios como espectáculos deportivos para los que incluso se venden entradas numeradas.

• sarCCastro

★★★★ Watched by sarCCastro 03 Dec, 2013 3

Well, someone decided to turn a video game into a movie, which is always a losing proposition since video games offer a level of immersion and control that motion pictures never have and never will.

[OBJECTION!]

But this time that someone is Takashi Miike. And the video game is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, a game that, like many recent adventure games, relies heavily on narrative than it does player control.

In the game(and its many sequels) the player is basically…

• Andreas

★★★½ Watched by Andreas 30 Nov, 2013

Surprisingly entertaining lies a solid court and whodunnit story beneath all the kinky and comic stuff. The actors seem to have fun and are well chosen for the characters who jumped out of a video game. And Miike keeps himself a bit restrained (at least for a video game adaption) making this one of the better transformations seen on film. Overall it's a bit too long and the additional trial was a bit obvious.