• Malick Kaufman

★★★★ Watched by Malick Kaufman 07 May, 2015

This is the most insane and beautiful film I've seen in a good while, and easily the best video game movie ever, though I can't imagine that's a unique opinion. This movie takes the actual legal process as seriously as the Fast and Furious series takes the laws of physics. And it's awesome.
    I've never seen any movie stick so closely to the source material in terms of narrative and visuals. The first DS game stole tens of my hours, and tore my little 13 year old mind to shreds, and this managed to take me all the way back. Ugh. So cool.

• Joe

★★★ Watched by Joe 28 Apr, 2015

The only DS game I ever owned was Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (because a month after I got a DS it was stolen to me. Fuck you Ashley). I have a fondness for the silly courtroom game. I also really love Takashi Miike so joy all around when I found out he was doing the movie (although how bizarre is that really?).

And yeah. Its pretty good. Its the game in live action form. The angles, the silliness, and my god the hair. Glorious.

• Kelly McRae

★★★★ Rewatched by Kelly McRae 12 Apr, 2015

The best game-to-film adaptation I've ever seen. And its pulled off perfectly! It has all the silly moments of the game, the characters are superbly accurate, and it adds just enough new material that you can't be too certain of what's about to happen.

But Redd White should have pink hair...

• Serggio Ochoa

★★★★ Watched by Serggio Ochoa 04 Apr, 2015

SEGUNDO MEJOR GUIÓN ADAPTADO DE LA HISTORIA DEL CINE. O el tercero. O quizás el cuarto, yo que sé, Letterboxd.

• Cactus Matt

★★★½ Watched by Cactus Matt 03 Apr, 2015

Faithful to the point of absurdity, this video game adaptation is suitably goofy and fun but probably a half hour too long for the material that comprises the main court case and bulk of the narrative.

• Ghostsmut

★½ Watched by Ghostsmut 09 Jan, 2015

Having been underwhelmed by the Nintendo DS game of the same name I was relatively impressed with the opening of Takashi Miike's Ace Attorney. It was 100mph, all over the place and really crazy. Wow, I thought, I hope it stays like this for the whole film!

But at about the midway point, the film shrugs off its skin and spends an hour discussing a very dull case you have no investment in. It's the film equivalent of listening to…

• Derek Godin

★★★★½ Rewatched by Derek Godin 09 Jan, 2015

Last time I saw this was at Fantasia two years ago, and seeing it at home has only increased my appreciation for it. The details, the A+ casting, make-up, and set design. Transitions. Background gags. The jump cuts late in the movie. Such a dense movie. In a weird way, this movie reminded me of Alan Rudolph's Trouble in Mind: there's at least three decades' worth of crime movie archetypes in the cast; a major societal paradigm shift has clearly…

• Tagave

★★★ Watched by Tagave 07 Jan, 2015

Batshit crazy.
    *Phoenix has ghost visions
    *Phoenix interrogates a parrot. On the witness stand
    *A giant police mascot appears and blocks the hammer of justice
    *All the witnesses have crazy hair, most of them have their eyes covered by it too
    *Phoenix Wright might be the worst attorney in movie history

• Arto

★★★★½ Watched by Arto 16 Dec, 2014

Takashi Miike Revisited (#10)

Yet again I luck out in coming across one hell of a pleasant surprise.

Rock n' Roll Mad Scientist Auteur Takashi Miike is given here a solid enough budget to bring to screen something seemingly too silly for its own good, and it definitely is silly, but it's the best kind of silly you can find in any movie of this caliber.

Ace Attorney is an adaptation to the cult video game series of the same…

• Sam Donchess

★½ Watched by Sam Donchess 22 Dec, 2014

I want to give Miike credit for trying, but when you compare this to some of the batshit insane work he's done in the past, this film is a dried up turd. There are some moments where Miike's personality shines through (it makes sense because the games have a comical element), but it's largely a bunch of humorless scenes stitched together. I know this won't make fans of the game happy, but the court proceedings don't translate well to screen at all. Nothing makes any sense.

• Juanchi González

★★★★ Watched by Juanchi González 21 Nov, 2014

!!!

• Kurz

★★★★ Watched by Kurz 27 Jan, 2012

The world premiere! So Miike himself was present to tell us before the film to not expect lactating breasts and bloody appendages, but to look at his latest (well, technically he's made one since already that will be released in Japan in a few months...) with innocent eyes. For it is an adaptation of the popular game of the same name, which is evident from the insane outfits, hairdo's and behavior of most characters in the movie. The main character…