• John Connor

★★★★ Watched by John Connor 03 Aug, 2012

Based on a videogame, it's set in a weird alternate universe where trial lawyers are a mixture of sportsmen and warriors, and their debates are like battles (they also have outrageous fashion sense). It's lots of fun. I don't know if the twists and turns of the legal mysteries at the heart of the film would stand up to a second viewing (Japanese movie logic works in bizarre ways...), but the tone of the film was perfect: a deft and funny mixture of absurdism and high melodrama. I had a blast. (It's also probably the first ever *good* movie based on a videogame.)

• Jordan Collier

★★★½ Watched by Jordan Collier 12 Sep, 2014

A wonderfully ridiculous adaptation of a wonderfully ridiculous series. Miike does about as well as you could with a Phoenix Wright movie. However, when you try to adapt ~20 hours of content into a two hour movie, things must be sacrificed. The movie moves at a breakneck pace for the first hour, leading up to the final trial. Most of the stuff in the first half rely on the viewer's knowledge of events that take place in the first game.…

• Rostova

★★★ Watched by Rostova 18 Aug, 2014

I guess this was kinda fun but it felt too rushed.

The games give you plenty of time to learn about the fun wacky characters, whereas this just skips loads of character building and interaction.

Also Callisto is best girl in series

• tanker

★★★★½ Watched by tanker 11 Aug, 2014

This is probably the greatest movie that stays daringly true to its video game source.

• Matthew Ramsey

★★★★ Watched by Matthew Ramsey 07 Aug, 2014

Brilliantly stylized.

It's difficult to make court-procedural films these days, considering how much material is taken up by Law and Order alone.
    That being said, between the effects, the acting and overall direction, it didn't much matter to me that the story wasn't exactly the freshest idea in cinema - despite the various "surprise" twists along the way.

While I could easily be accused of Miike fanboy-ism, and rightfully so, I argue that rather than his usual splatter-fare, this film…

• Carl Ingebretsen

★★★ Watched by Carl Ingebretsen 03 Aug, 2014

Right. It's probably time for a longer review than the last ones I've done. And since I've now been up for a consecutive 26 hours in a desperate and idiotic attempt to fix my sleep cycle, I have nothing better to do.

So why didn't I love Ace Attorney? It was fun, it was full of twists, it was a strange courtroom thriller, it was blessedly Japanese all the way through. A goo way to describe it is if you…

• orangeoranges

★★★ Watched by orangeoranges 08 May, 2014

I really shouldn't have enjoyed this film.

• Lucas Barwenczik

★★★ Watched by Lucas Barwenczik 10 Jul, 2014

Ace Attorney ist der Versuch, ein Medium so verlustfrei wie möglich in ein anders zu übertragen. Dabei ist Regisseur Takashi Miike die Absurdität diese Unterfangens sichtbar bewusst. Die Phoenix Wright-Reihe erzählt in der Regel in etwa 10-12 Stunden langen Adventures von 4-5 Kriminalfällen. Auch wenn sich der Film auf 2 davon beschränkt, ist er inhaltlich hoffnungslos überfrachtet. Plotpunkt um Plotpunkt werden dem Zuschauer um die Ohren gehauen. Dabei ist die Geschichte, die daraus entsteht maximal solide. Es fehlen eben Zeitrahmen…

• MysidianRydia

★★★★ Watched by MysidianRydia 12 Jan, 2014

Loved it, but I'm a huge fan of the games and am very familiar with the case already. I wonder if its even follow-able by anyone that hasn't heard of Phoenix Wright. It seems to go pretty quick.

• Max Brown

★★★½ Watched by Max Brown 25 Jun, 2014

This movie is actually pretty good. It's fun, the acting is ok, and the script is pretty good. As far as the plot goes, I don't know if it follows the plot of the game. However, I think it is safe to say this is a good adaptation

• moviemanwill

★★★½ Added by moviemanwill

My big Hollywood dream would be to adapt this series into a TV show or miniseries.

• jintor

★★★★ Watched by jintor 29 May, 2014

The biggest failing of Ace Attorney is simply that there's far too much content to fit into a single movie and consequentially not much in the way of naturalistic character development. Miike does his best to turn this into an advantage by emphasising the over-the-top theatre of the Ace Attorney world, but the lack of 'breather' moments still overall hurts the pacing of the movie. Otherwise, however, it is a surprisingly fun film that serves both as an amazing tribute…