• Au

★★ Rewatched by Au 23 Nov, 2015

Well, 6-year-old me had no idea how transphobic/homophobic this was. 25-year-old me, however, is painfully aware of it. 2 stars for nostalgia, that's all it's worth.

• mr_scarecrow2

★★★★★ Rewatched by mr_scarecrow2 18 Nov, 2015

Jim Carrey is a comedic genius in this movie. This is one of the greatest comedies of all time in my book. I can't watch this movie and not laugh out loud every couple minutes. It's also nice to see a comedy movie that actually has a decently competent story.

• Chester H

★★★½ Added by Chester H

The first Jim Carrey comedy vehicle. His performance carries the movie.

• BigBrizzy

★★★★★ Added by BigBrizzy

Best Carey movie of all time. Original and foolish. A must see if you need a laugh.

• Kevin Matthews

★★★★ Rewatched by Kevin Matthews 13 Nov, 2015

When I first saw Ace Ventura: Pet Detective I thought it was one of the funniest films ever. The madcap antics of Jim Carrey really worked for me, although you can either love or hate him. Watching it nowadays, and I have watched it MANY times, I still find plenty to enjoy. Almost every scene has at least one great line, and most of them have a number of them. It's juvenile, sometimes offensive, surreal, and pretty great.

• Ghostsmut

★★ Rewatched by Ghostsmut 07 Nov, 2015 1

Okay. So the first hour of this is hilarious. Just plain stupid and I was loving it.

But then the transphobic stuff happens and I got a bit uneasy. Groups of men puking and pulling faces just because a man now identifies as a woman? No, sorry. That's just wrong. And not very funny either.

• Hannah M

½ Watched by Hannah M 01 Nov, 2015

I knew going into this movie I wasn't going to love it or find it especially funny. And, nope, I didn't. Jim Carrey, however, has a moderately likable quality where even when he's being over-the-top and playing an obnoxious character, he seems less obnoxious than just... stupid. And that's what this movie is: stupid. Better than obnoxious, I suppose, but NOT by a lot. The stupidity and immaturity are such an integral part of his character that the romance between…

Watched by STEPHEN TUBBS 30 Mar, 2015

I know there are Carrey fans out there - somewhere.

• Gabor Lenard

Rewatched by Gabor Lenard 17 Oct, 2015

Jim Carrey is a genius

• Cass Wall

½ Watched by Cass Wall 15 Oct, 2015 2

Pretty harmless until the intense transphobia of the last ten minutes.

• drucilla

Watched by drucilla 23 Sep, 2015

• Eric Majewski

★★½ Rewatched by Eric Majewski 03 Oct, 2015

This comedy, that I once loved growing up, was just a reminder that my taste in comedies has changed. Pet Detective is just one big fart joke that you'll wish stayed in your mind as a "classic".