• Elliot Fane

★★★ Watched by Elliot Fane 01 May, 2015

Just like 'Liar Liar', it was directed by Tom Shadyac, featured a hilariously animated and entertaining performance from Jim Carrey and a story that I really couldn't care less for! I wanted to see Carrey do his rubber-faced performance and thats exactly what I got!

• Movieman97

★★★★ Watched by Movieman97 19 Apr, 2015

Hilarious and endlessly quotable, "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" is a breezy and energetic piece of entertainment, with a terrific Jim Carrey at his absolute best.

• Jasmine Martinez

★★★½ Rewatched by Jasmine Martinez 13 Apr, 2015

Better than I remembered it. Love it.

• Alex Vlad

★★★ Watched by Alex Vlad 09 Apr, 2015 2

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective... I don't have a lot to say about this one. I thought that it would be better than it really was. I mean I was expecting Jim Carrey in his prime would do a LOT better. He had come off of Dumb and Dumber which he was hilarious in, and he had two blockbusters coming out in the summer of '94 (the other one being The Mask.) Don't get me wrong, this movie is pretty funny.…

• Dave Bastian

★★★ Added by Dave Bastian

Gonzo detective Carrey is hired by the Miami Dolphins to find their kidnapped mascot. Carrey’s blockbuster starring debut is a strictly a matter of taste; for many, the talented comic’s showboating antics are enough to produce endless paroxysms of laughter… for others, this dies on the vine ten minutes in. Judge for yourself. Followed by Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

• Max

★★★½ Watched by Max 26 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Like: The whole idea to make a movie about an animal welfarist aka pet detective. This is a very cool thing and offers a great joke-area, Jim Carrey used well.

Dislike: I think the movie is somehow homophobic. The reaction scenes towards the transgender football star would be a greater eclat nowadays.

• SilentDawn

★★★★ Rewatched by SilentDawn 17 Mar, 2015 7

Tom Shadyac's Ace Ventura: Pet Detective kicks all sorts of ass. Jim Carrey is hysterical, the story is a wonderful combination of detective stories and 80s procedurals, and every line is hilariously quotable and goofy. The party sequence is borderline historic in its absurdity and sheer energy.

"Holy testicle Tuesday!"

• Sitheis

★★★½ Watched by Sitheis 08 Mar, 2015

7.7

• Bradley

★★★ Watched by Bradley 07 Mar, 2015

Decent comedy that is completely carried by Jim Carrey's typically eccentric performance. I chuckled my way through the film and there were some really fun scenes (especially those involving actual animals). Overall a fun and cheap little flick that holds up very well even over 20 years later.

• Connor Eves

★½ Watched by Connor Eves 13 Feb, 2015

This film does a good job of making 'The Truman Show' look even better. I watched this film because Jim Carrey was in it, and that is also the only reason I continued watching it. It is forgettable, it is completely adequate and I will probably forget it exists after a few weeks.

• mrfleck

★★★★½ Added by mrfleck

To be honest, Jim Carrey was my childhood icon. This movie is one of the best pieces of evidence to that fact.
    Ace Ventura is one of the funniest people I've ever seen, played masterfully by Carrey. He is so creatively funny and clever that he's a perfect example of a classic Jim Carrey character.
    While I do have some small issues with this movie, I don't have a lot of things to bash this movie with. (really? F*cking really?…

• chicomanga

½ Rewatched by chicomanga 19 Feb, 2015

Con diez años era muy divertida. Siendo mayor es horrible.