• Chris Drake

★½ Added by Chris Drake

I watched this just so that I could understand people who quote it.

• Jim Ellwanger

★★ Watched by Jim Ellwanger 21 Jul, 2014

Hard to believe I hadn't seen this before, since I've had a crush on Courteney Cox since "Misfits of Science" and I find Jim Carrey eminently tolerable. But... it's not particularly good.

• Ryan Narc

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ryan Narc 07 Jul, 2014 2

Both Ace Ventura flicks are utterly ridiculous and juvenile - but I still happen to love them. I really didn't think they'd hold up as well these days, since I haven't seen them in many years (they were both personal favorites in my younger days) but I still found them to be wonderfully entertaining and extremely funny. Of course, most of (or, more likely, all) this is thanks to Jim Carrey's manic comedic personality as the title character. Pretty much…

• shieze

★★★ Watched by shieze 30 Jun, 2014

I don't care, I like this film. Also he's Canadian? Amazing.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

Comedic mastery.

• AwesomeAverage

★★★★½ Watched by AwesomeAverage 22 Jun, 2014

Part one of My Jim Carrey marathon:
    Jim Carrey always manages to make me laugh harder than any other comedian. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is no exception, with laugh out loud moments, a terrific performance by Jim Carrey, highly quotable, and just flat out hilarious. Some of it can go a little bit too far at times but it never really bugged me. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is a perfect movie for any Jim Carrey fan.

• Sc8lo

★★★ Rewatched by Sc8lo 09 Jan, 2011

Loved this growing up so it has been ingrained in my fond memories section of my brain. It still holds up but depends on your funny bone.

• Jimmy Jones

★★ Added by Jimmy Jones

Jim Carrey tries to hard in this one, I hate to say. Some people feel it's one of his best 90s performances, but he just slathers it on too thick here and ends up repulsive more often than funny. It also brings to mind painful memories of Doctor Dolittle. It's creative and brings us a unique kind of character, but some comedies just fall flat.

• Bill Shannon

★★★★ Added by Bill Shannon

This movie is not what you'd call "well-made," but it works based simply on the Cult of Personality that is Jim Carrey ca. 1994. The script is dumb, the acting stinks, and it's directed in a most pedestrian way. But somehow, Carrey commits so fully to the character that you are forced, kicking and screaming, to succumb to its charms.

• Adam_Zanzie

★★★★ Added by Adam_Zanzie

It's still awesome.

• Steven Short

★★★★ Rewatched by Steven Short 26 May, 2014

Shame on HBO though for cutting Carey's amazing Hans Witzvelvert dolphin trainer scene.

No Hans. No deal.

• Charlie Derry

★★★★ Rewatched by Charlie Derry 18 May, 2014

I love Jim Carrey and Ace Ventura is one of my favourite characters. I prefer the second film but there are some great moments in this one.