• maya-noëlle

★★★½ Rewatched by maya-noëlle 14 Feb, 2015

you either love this movie or you hate it. luckily, i fall in the former category. it's literally just a film weakly strung together by a series of strongly-choreographed beatles covers--nevertheless, i love this movie. it's entertaining and at times incredibly bizarre, and if you forget that it jumps all over the place and abandons plot points at the speed of light for the sake of beatles songs, you might actually like it.

• SarK

★★★★★ Watched by SarK 08 Feb, 2015

❤️❤️❤️

• Guzo

★★★½ Rewatched by Guzo 08 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Tops :
    + The Beatles : Music and winks to their career
    + Musical scenes are nicely linked to the story
    + Jim Sturgess / Evan Rachel Wood relationship
    + Bono and the Magical Mystery Tour moment

Flops :
    - Cheese Fest at times
    - Joe Anderson kind of annoying
    - Some sub-stories are just filler, not exploited at all (lesbian girl)

• Lorelei Hoffman

★★★ Watched by Lorelei Hoffman 08 Feb, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I enjoyed this film. A lot.

But.

Cinematically it was very inconsistent. Many scenes were constructed so interestingly (dance numbers, "trippy" effects) some scenes were so lackluster and irrelevant to the story that I wondered why this film got such good reviews.

I know why it did, actually. It's because Everybody Loves The Beatles. And I'm guilty for falling for this sloppily constructed ruse that Across The Universe was a good movie because I love these songs and I loved…

• Judy

★★★ Rewatched by Judy 02 Feb, 2015

Back when I thought the Beatles were actually bigger than Jesus, I watched this and thought it was a masterpiece. Nah.

• sonyaste

★★★ Added by sonyaste

drugs.

• subtexts

★★★★★ Watched by subtexts 27 Sep, 2009

Evan Rachel Wood is the kind of actress, like Kirsten Dunst, who is in all these movies I love yet who I never fell in love with individually but this movie is the movie where I was like YES
    every song links to narrative seamlessly
    Julie Taymor is fantastic
    I didn't like the Beatles THAT much
    but it doesn't matter this is amazing

• Julian Bosley

★★★★ Added by Julian Bosley

A great movie with a great story and an amazing soundtrack.

• Kennad Ribeiro

★½ Watched by Kennad Ribeiro 21 Jan, 2015

Ridiculous.

They seem to write the film just to fit The Beatles musics on it.
    The events happen on the film in a such strange and messy way.
    No originality: Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and the titanic scene.
    Looks like The Backyardigans.
    Did not see the love story in it.

• SaltyTheBeast

★★★ Watched by SaltyTheBeast 20 Jan, 2015

"Across The Universe," directed by Julie Taymor, is a jukebox musical which tells a story of love, music, art, the Vietnam War, and the rise of American counterculture to the tune of several Beatles songs. Like many other people, I myself am a massive Beatles fan, so I felt obligated to seek this film out (especially considering the polarizing responses I've heard from audiences). Admittedly, this is leaps and bounds better than the ill-fated "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"…

• Becky Carroll

★★½ Added by Becky Carroll

I wanted to like this. I really did. The singing was fine. The acting was fine. I can see why people would enjoy it. My issue was that it seemed the plot was written around fitting as many Beatles songs in as possible and taking the lyrics as literally as possible regardless of whether it made the plot make no sense or not. It's just not for me.

• Mary

★★★ Rewatched by Mary 08 Jan, 2015

"Taymor’s film pushes the “Now I must sing!” mode of musicals to a new level. Characters as far-flung as a Liverpudlian dock worker, an Asian-American cheerleader, and a black kid in a Detriot riot share an irrepressible urge to scream Beatles songs to the heavens. In the world of Across the Universe, the music of the Beatles becomes a sort of quantum physics tying the universe together."

Read more about how I kinda hated this movie and then kinda didn't: ilikemoviesbut.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/act-naturally-on-1960s-rock-biopics-or-lack-thereof/