• Alexson Philipiah

★★★ Added by Alexson Philipiah

Some of the dance/sing along sequences were absolutely powerful and whimsical to the maximum and I loved all of the covers being a solid fan of the Beatles but I felt a lot of it just needed to be cut down. I could not breathe properly to get to know the characters with the film consistently transitioning to dance/sing sequence. Still had a lot of fun and was moved and I can see myself rewatching this with my family some day or a date or something. Oh and...that one guy with the dirty blonde hair...did anyone else feel he looks A LOT like Kurt Cobain?

• Lukas Ridge

★★★ Rewatched by Lukas Ridge 24 Jun, 2016

I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie so eye-rollingly full of itself.

• Jack Keating

★★★★ Watched by Jack Keating 24 Jun, 2016

Movie's really good, but I wanna talk about The Beatles.

The Beatles are my all time favorite music group. They're also the greatest artists of all time. No question about it. Song after song, album after album, they nailed it. John's my favorite because I connect with him more, but I love them all. Revolver, The White Album, and Abbey Road are in my top ten albums of all time, with AR taking the top spot.

CHALLENGE: lists our top…

• Ethan Magee

★★★ Watched by Ethan Magee 18 Jun, 2016

I tend to like jukebox musicals, but this one was sort of a miss for me. It's visually impressive and striking, but a very blanket story. I get this was probably done on purpose to give a general enough view of the time period to fit the film's art reflects life/life reflects art thematic tie in with the soundtrack, but I'm honestly bored with films romanticizing the good and the bad of the Vietnam era. I suppose at the very least the sum of its parts is greater than the whole.

• JosephFinn

★★ Watched by JosephFinn 16 Jun, 2016

Please explain how you mix Julie Taymor, The Beatles, a remake of Hair and some very good actors and the results are this dull. Some good performances and songs just don't make up for much much of a metaphorical slog this is.

• Bilal Rizvi

★★★★½ Rewatched by Bilal Rizvi 15 Jun, 2016

This movie is a great time.

• Wulf | Medienjournal

★★★★ Watched by Wulf | Medienjournal 14 Jun, 2016

Julie Taymors 'Across the Universe' ist eine großartig inszenierte und ungemein einfallsreiche Huldigung an die Beatles und deren zahllose Kultsongs, doch merkt man während der über zwei Stunden umfassenden Laufzeit das eine oder andere Mal, dass die Songs den Plot diktiert haben, der folglich zuweilen arg auf der Stelle tritt und zunehmend zerfasert, doch reißen es die Hauptdarsteller Jim Sturgess und Evan Rachel Wood weitestgehend raus und überzeugen mit Gesangstalent und Spielfreude.

Mehr gibt es unter:

medienjournal-blog.de/2016/06/review-across-the-universe-film/

• Luis_989

★★★ Added by Luis_989

I love the soundtrack, but the movie could have been so much better.

My favorite tracks:

All You Need Is Love
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

• Liam Dempsey

★½ Watched by Liam Dempsey 11 Jun, 2016

There are a few lovely visual flourishes (The Bowling alley sequence being a stand out) along the way but for the most part this is not only offensive to any true Beatles fan's ears with a neverending stream of bland covers of classic after classic but also laughably earnest as the narrative's connections to the songs become evermore tangential as the film progresses.

• ivy

★★★★½ Rewatched by ivy 20 Apr, 2016

good shit

• Mike Cavaliere

★★★ Watched by Mike Cavaliere 22 Sep, 2007

Sometimes touching, sometimes interesting, sometimes music video-y. Great last scene. I wonder how well it would have stood up w/o the help of such songs. Even though it was pretty enjoyable, I still have to ask myself what was the point?

• smalltowngirl

★★★★ Rewatched by smalltowngirl 30 May, 2016

The first time I watched this movie, I was terribly disappointed because to me, it seemed more to be a montage of music videos than anything else.
    On memorial day weekend, I returned to the film due to my mother and her best friend being HUGE Beatles fans. Huge. My mother has coffee mugs of the band's heads.
    Maybe it was memorial day or the election or just how I feel America is right now, but I ended up loving…