• Sam

★★★ Watched by Sam 27 Sep, 2014

Different, and respectable effort. I find most Beatles covers unbearable, so that had an effect, though some were done well.

• Melania Gadja

★★★½ Watched by Melania Gadja 22 Sep, 2014

Directed by Julie Taymore("The tempest") , Across the Univers is a musical that gathered from lousy ("goofy,pompous" ) to great ("bold","visually enchanting" ) criticism and to witch Taymore referred as an attempt "to creat an original musical using the songs of the Beatles".
    Starring Evan Rachel Woods as Lucy , an american suburbs teenage , Joe Andeson as Max ,her brother and Jim Sturgess as Jude , a young english worker who goes to America , the film doesn't have…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 06 Aug, 2013

I guess that you don’t have to be a Beatles fan to enjoy this film but I’m so glad I am (and a huge one) because otherwise I don’t think I could have appreciated it properly. I don’t mean to say that I loved it because I didn’t, but being one certainly had an influence in the fact that I was thoroughly entertained and that I was surely delighted by several musical segments which were simply magical.

I think it…

• Radiohead97

★★★★ Added by Radiohead97

This may be a personal prejudice, seeing as how I grew up on The Beatles, but I found Across the Universe to be one of the most beautifully crafted movies ever.

Julie Taymor paints an astonishing portrait of the 1960’s through a beautifully made musical that has walking into the theater humming the songs. It uses cutting edge visuals, strong performances, and a selection of Beatles songs to make one of the best musicals I’ve seen.

The story, which contains…

• Adam Cadre

★½ Watched by Adam Cadre 19 Jan, 2009

• mangum_pi

★½ Rewatched by mangum_pi 05 Sep, 2014

if you're going to make a self-indulgent mess at least make an interesting self-indulgent mess

• Oliver Gelleni

★★★ Added by Oliver Gelleni

A visual circus it may be, a fluid and coherent story it is not. "Across the Universe" ends up being a series of beautifully shot and well sung music videos. Each story beat is nice but the transition from beat to beat feels very awkward and forced. It is almost like each beat exists only to give its own song context, but not to connect to any other beat in a strong or relevant way. Something about this left me feeling unfulfilled. The music and visuals are quite a treat though.

• jtrotman

★★★★★ Rewatched by jtrotman 23 Aug, 2014

Great film that contains a numerous amount of Beatles songs that are embedded into the storyline.

• Agnis

½ Watched by Agnis 02 Sep, 2014

I hate musicals with a passion I reserve for few other things. And this is worse than the average one.

• Paige

★★★ Watched by Paige 01 Sep, 2014

Actually it was a very nice movie, a little slow, and there's one scene that's so totally unnecessary it was really bad.

• Mel S

★★★½ Watched by Mel S 02 Sep, 2008

This is really 4.5 stars, but minus 1 star because of the hideously overused autotune on the vocals throughout. It really did ruin the film for me a lot of the time and that is just too bad. Maybe someday they will realise how stupid it is and do a new soundtrack without autotuned vocals.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★★ Rewatched by Grant Fitzgerald 31 Aug, 2014

Perfectly psychedelic and perfectly sung from start to finish. Great job on the casting side. Still one of my favorite soundtracks.