• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★★ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Here is a bold, beautiful, visually enchanting musical where we walk into the theater humming the songs. Julie Taymor's "Across the Universe" is an audacious marriage of cutting-edge visual techniques, heart-warming performances, 1960s history and the Beatles songbook. Sounds like a concept that might be behind its time, but I believe in yesterday.

This isn't one of those druggy 1960s movies, although it has what the MPAA shyly calls "some" drug content. It's not grungy, although it has Joe Cocker…

• Andy

★½ Rewatched by Andy 19 Apr, 2014 1

Nonsensical, annoying, unsubtle nonsense.

• samantha

★★★½ Rewatched by samantha 09 Apr, 2014

it thinks it's better than it actually is but w/e i love it

• cineedo
  • Carlos Deleon

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Deleon 14 Oct, 2007

Someone once wrote that the Beatles are not a type of rock band. They are the only rock band. That every other band is viewed through their prism. This same person said that the Beatles are the second most famous four-person collective in any context whatsoever. (John, Paul, George and Ringo were bested by John, Peter, Mark and Matthew in case you are wondering. Heh, in both cases there is a Fifth Beatle/Evangelist - George Martin and Paul of Tarsus…

• inso

Added by inso

συσσωρευμενα καλα κομματια των Beatles..μονο αυτο!

• Suzanne Moses

★★★★★ Watched by Suzanne Moses 14 Oct, 2010

I didn't expect much out of this film because all I had heard about it was that it was a story based on Beatles songs. That was enough to prompt me to see it, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Very well done film and a brilliant job of playing with the music. I have also purchased the soundtrack because I really fell in love with some of the covers (particularly Prudence.)

• yurik09

★★★★½ Added by yurik09

I dont really like musicals but this one didnt even feel like one. Brilliantly shot, casted and choreographed journey across, well - the universe but wait for it - with songs of the best band on the planet - The Beatles. You dont notice how you just start singing at some point and really enjoy this magical masterpiece.

If you do class it as a musical, i would put it right at the top of the ladder

• Mully Mullennix

½ Watched by Mully Mullennix 25 Mar, 2014

I love the Beatles. So to hate this movie it has to be very bad. This is just a pretentious hipster piece of garbage.

• Jessica

★★★ Watched by Jessica 23 Mar, 2014

You know what? I hate people that hate to have fun. Whenever a film is colorful or over the top (think the resent films Great Gatsby and Spring Breakers) people like to bitch about it like those two hours of watching it ruin their entire life. STFU. This isn't a great film. It's not even all that good. But shut up if your going to start crying anytime its mentioned. It's different, colorful and has good music.

First off I've…

• Bryan Colley

Added by Bryan Colley

It was a horrible idea when the Bee Gees did it, and it's still a horrible idea. Here's a movie constructed entirely from pop culture. There's nothing genuine about it. With director Julie Taymor, you get the promise of crazy, psychedelic visuals, but that amounts to about 15 minutes of the 2h13m film. The rest of the movie trudges through every sixties hippie cliche from every other sixties hippie cliche movie since the sixties. The beautiful teen characters are completely…

• gingerjew

★★ Added by gingerjew

Simply a series of below average music videos, all compiled together in a cliche and predictable fashion.

Who thought this needed to be made?