• Gieske

★★★½ Rewatched by Gieske 18 Apr, 2016

Let me start off by saying this: I love this movie. My review may sound like I'm dissecting to bits. but I love this movie.

Across The Universe is a colorful, musical trip through the 1960's. With a Beatles-centered soundtrack, we jump into the start of the Vietnam war, and follow two people, Jude and Lucy, as their paths cross and they fall in love.

The three main characters, Jude, Lucy and her brother, Max, are some of the best…

• dani leblanc

★★★★★ Watched by dani leblanc 22 Apr, 2016

the beetles are ok, i guess

• Nik

★★★ Watched by Nik 20 Apr, 2016

The second musical I've seen in a day. How did I accomplish that when I don't even like musicals? Clearly a bit different this time, as the songs are all Beatles, of course. And I understand the motivation of wanting to repurpose their catalog in new artistic ways. The Beatles 7-year career can basically perfectly sum up and represent the changes in the world culture over the decade they existed. I was moved nearly to tears by the Cirque du…

• taylorshehata

★★½ Watched by taylorshehata 17 Apr, 2016

Although it's incredibly cheesy at some points, it was still interesting to see some classic Beatles songs in a new context. And the jukebox musical was done pretty effortlessly in that aspect.

The setting itself is a catalyst for plot, so working a couple interesting characters in must have been no trouble at all. I also want to say that I loved the fact that the characters were not used simply for the main character's benefit or to advance the…

• Jules

Added by Jules

I love the Beatles, I seriously do. They made some of the best songs in history and I'm a HUGE fan of their music. But did this movie really have to squeeze in every single one of them? It feels forced and bloated and just... not good. The plot is paper-thin, as are the characters. Speaking of which, there are actual "main" characters who are very obviously there just so the other characters have the chance to sing a song…

• Spencer James K

★★ Added by Spencer James K

Some nice and creative visuals from Taymor and her team but an ultimately unsatisfying, glossed up tribute to the Beatles that prioritizes the band over the film itself. The plot and characters melt into non-existence in order to shoehorn in old favourites from the Beatles catalogue, the most egregious example of this being a particularly hard to stomach sequence to the tune of "Mr. Kite". While the mountains of references might satisfy the casual Beatles fan, anyone who's ever been impacted by the Beatles' music on an emotional level will be left unfulfilled.

• Justin Harlan

★★★★ Rewatched by Justin Harlan 16 Apr, 2016

I love the Beatles and I dig musicals. Martin Luther McCoy is especially awesome in this. I appreciate that they mixed in a few lesser known tracks. The first time I saw this, I was even introduced to a Beatles song I don't know.

• Tim Burnham

★★½ Watched by Tim Burnham 15 Apr, 2016

Not so much a film as a psychedelic, two hour music video.  The film is beautifully shot, has interesting camerawork at times, and unique cinematography but to no purpose.

The film is a desperate string of tenuously connected The Beatles greatest hits.  The movie does not worry so much about if a song actually fits or has a natural genesis, as long as it looks cool, sounds good, and has a pseudo thematic feel.

There is a scene in which…

• Bryce Receveur

★★★ Watched by Bryce Receveur 11 Apr, 2016

I Want You segment = 10/10
    Rest of the movie and it's total bullshit characters = 3/10
    Beatles songs being impossible to dislike? FACT! Wish this was a better movie but still some segments are pretty fun when it isn't pretending like it's making bold statements about Vietnam being as stupid as the song "I am the Walrus". Also, Coo Coo CaChoo!

• Lucas Rodriguez

★★★★ Watched by Lucas Rodriguez 08 Apr, 2016

No soy fanático de los Beatles ni por asomo, pero la película utiliza sus canciones maravillosamente, metiéndola en una vorágine de imágenes fabulosas en un viaje imperdible.

• Xander McCabe

★★★½ Watched by Xander McCabe 07 Apr, 2016

Beautiful visuals and well executed world, fantastic covers. that I listen to on the regular now. Took the era and ideas of the times and brought them into a whole knew direction. High potential to cry when watching.

• isabel

★★★★★ Added by isabel

I DONT CARE i love this movie it makes me feel every emotion and they nailed the music

i've never not cried watching the last scene