• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 06 Aug, 2013

I guess that you don’t have to be a Beatles fan to enjoy this film but I’m so glad I am (and a huge one) because otherwise I don’t think I could have appreciated it properly. I don’t mean to say that I loved it because I didn’t, but being one certainly had an influence in the fact that I was thoroughly entertained and that I was surely delighted by several musical segments which were simply magical.

I think it…

• Adam Cadre

★½ Watched by Adam Cadre 19 Jan, 2009

• mangum_pi

★½ Rewatched by mangum_pi 05 Sep, 2014

if you're going to make a self-indulgent mess at least make an interesting self-indulgent mess

• Oliver Gelleni

★★★ Added by Oliver Gelleni

A visual circus it may be, a fluid and coherent story it is not. "Across the Universe" ends up being a series of beautifully shot and well sung music videos. Each story beat is nice but the transition from beat to beat feels very awkward and forced. It is almost like each beat exists only to give its own song context, but not to connect to any other beat in a strong or relevant way. Something about this left me feeling unfulfilled. The music and visuals are quite a treat though.

• jtrotman

★★★★★ Rewatched by jtrotman 23 Aug, 2014

Great film that contains a numerous amount of Beatles songs that are embedded into the storyline.

• Agnis

½ Watched by Agnis 02 Sep, 2014

I hate musicals with a passion I reserve for few other things. And this is worse than the average one.

• Paige

★★★ Watched by Paige 01 Sep, 2014

Actually it was a very nice movie, a little slow, and there's one scene that's so totally unnecessary it was really bad.

• Mel S

★★★½ Watched by Mel S 02 Sep, 2008

This is really 4.5 stars, but minus 1 star because of the hideously overused autotune on the vocals throughout. It really did ruin the film for me a lot of the time and that is just too bad. Maybe someday they will realise how stupid it is and do a new soundtrack without autotuned vocals.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★★ Rewatched by Grant Fitzgerald 31 Aug, 2014

Perfectly psychedelic and perfectly sung from start to finish. Great job on the casting side. Still one of my favorite soundtracks.

• James Gorton

★★★ Rewatched by James Gorton 31 Aug, 2014

Across The Universe is a film that could never win and it is certainly a film that is flawed, but I believe it gets a fair amount right.

First of all, and it's the reason you're watching the film in the first place, is the music. The tracklist is great; not just because it's full of songs by The Beatles but because but those responsible didn't just pull their copy of "1" off the shelf and try to make a…

• Barbara Henry

★★ Added by Barbara Henry

Based upon pure enjoyment, I'd rate ACROSS THE UNIVERSE higher than I did. After all, it was fun and tuneful and pretty to watch. However, as an authentic former hippie/radical, I cringed throughout an awful lot of it and I just can't give the movie a pass. The look was right (props to the set designers), but the writing was all wrong. "You look wicked bad"? Please. I'm still waiting for somebody to tell my story -- lunatic optimism, rampant paranoia, unparalleled camaraderie, warts, head lice, and all.

• Alex Berg

★★½ Rewatched by Alex Berg 20 Aug, 2014

"Two cliches make us laugh. A hundred cliches move us. For we sense dimly that the cliches are talking among themselves, and celebrating a reunion." - Umberto Eco on Casablanca

The quote applies to this film because when it works, like in the first 40 minutes of Across the Universe when the main cast are all meeting each other and having fun in The 60's, it's irresistible. It's only when the Vietnam and Civil Rights stuff gets shoved incongruously into…