• jb_86

★★★ Watched by jb_86 24 Mar, 2015

"A journey through the films of Martin Scorsese" - 2015 Edition

Pt. 3: Alice doesn't live here anymore

For Scorsese, a very male-centric and masculine director, this feels like an unusual film. But in a way it also seems like the right opportunity to take, an investment into the future, to establish oneself and prove willing to work under more or less studio conditions. And so Scorsese proved to be more than the "Mean Streets" wild guy from New York,…

• Christian Alec

★★★★ Rewatched by Christian Alec 27 Feb, 2015

One of Scorsese's earliest non-violent gems led by a great performance by Burstyn.

• Sean Wu

★★★ Watched by Sean Wu 02 Mar, 2015

Like 'Tootsie' was for Dustin Hoffman, 'Alice' is a vehicle for Ellen Burstyn. She's pretty good as a singer-turned-waitress after her cold husband's death. There's really not much of value besides Burstyn.

Kris Kristofferson is second billed in the movie, but honestly I could barely see any value for his character besides a dramatic foil. Simply, he's poorly characterized. So is pretty much everyone else, like Diane Ladd's nominated work as an outspoken waitress, or Jodie Foster's bit part. The…

• JayKay99

★★★★ Watched by JayKay99 02 Mar, 2015

The 70's, when studios made films like this.

• Jerell

★★★ Rewatched by Jerell 23 Feb, 2015

Kiss my grits, metaphorically.

• Bojan Žarković

★★★★½ Watched by Bojan Žarković 19 Feb, 2015

Odličan "ženski" film.

• Ben Lane

★★★★★ Watched by Ben Lane 17 Feb, 2015

This is a masterful take on romance and broken relationships, but at its core, it's about the bonding between a mother and her son, and it's beautiful. This is a great piece of work from Martin Scorsese.

• Daniel Barnes

★★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Barnes 28 Jan, 2015

Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore is a film about complication and tension – marriage as an end, death as a beginning, open roads leading to dead ends, Monterey dreams in an Arizona piano bar – and perhaps the most exciting tension is the unlikely collaboration between Burstyn and director Martin Scorsese. Burstyn helped to develop the material at Warner Bros. as her follow-up vehicle to The Exorcist, and she was instrumental in bringing aboard Scorsese, then hot off of his…

• Alan Jeffrey

★★★★½ Watched by Alan Jeffrey 17 Jan, 2015

At once, a celebration, critique, and examination of the unexpected and honest range of emotions we go through as we transition from so desperately pursuing what we want in life, however ridiculous or unneeded that might, to finding contentment and joy in what we have and have been given in life.

• tokyo5

★½ Watched by tokyo5 09 Jan, 2015

A woman struggles with the transition from housewife / mother to widow / single mother ... but, with the help of new friends, learns to be strong.

Japanese title: "Alice-no-koi"

• Joshua Correll

★★★½ Watched by Joshua Correll 04 Jan, 2015

I'm not trying to sound like a cliche when I say that they really don't make them like this anymore. I just honestly can't think of the last time I've seen a film with a female protagonist that is just literally about her living her life as best she can. No major events happen, she has to overcome some obstacles, but nothing unrealistic. We just get a real flesh and blood character on the screen.

• mildiasdechuva

★★★ Watched by mildiasdechuva 03 Jan, 2015

I have mixed feelings about it. I liked it, and I thought Alice was a funny character, but she tolerated a lot of shit from her abusive lovers. I liked the end of it, especially the romantic scene.