• Alan Jeffrey

★★★★½ Watched by Alan Jeffrey 17 Jan, 2015

At once, a celebration, critique, and examination of the unexpected and honest range of emotions we go through as we transition from so desperately pursuing what we want in life, however ridiculous or unneeded that might, to finding contentment and joy in what we have and have been given in life.

• tokyo5

★½ Watched by tokyo5 09 Jan, 2015

A woman struggles with the transition from housewife / mother to widow / single mother ... but, with the help of new friends, learns to be strong.

Japanese title: "Alice-no-koi"

• Joshua Correll

★★★½ Watched by Joshua Correll 04 Jan, 2015

I'm not trying to sound like a cliche when I say that they really don't make them like this anymore. I just honestly can't think of the last time I've seen a film with a female protagonist that is just literally about her living her life as best she can. No major events happen, she has to overcome some obstacles, but nothing unrealistic. We just get a real flesh and blood character on the screen.

• mildiasdechuva

★★★ Watched by mildiasdechuva 03 Jan, 2015

I have mixed feelings about it. I liked it, and I thought Alice was a funny character, but she tolerated a lot of shit from her abusive lovers. I liked the end of it, especially the romantic scene.

• Jack Dignan

★★★½ Watched by Jack Dignan 31 Dec, 2014

Film #98 of the 100 Movie Challenge

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is not nearly the best Scorsese film around, but hey, it ain't bad either. There's some great performances to be had and a screenplay that, um, has a lot of yelling, but the dialogue's pretty good too.

• Connor Denney

★★★★ Watched by Connor Denney 25 Dec, 2014

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore takes us into the life of Alice, a woman whose misfortunes cover everything from relationships with bad men and the struggles of raising a son to the conflict between her aspirations and her place in life. The film gives us easy access to Alice’s heart and mind. The camera points at angles just strange enough to show the various rooms that act as setting for this film in a rather unique way, heightening the connection…

• Ben Lott

★★ Watched by Ben Lott 03 Dec, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• thenextreel

★★★ Watched by thenextreel 04 Dec, 2014

“It ain’t Peggy Lee."

Ellen Burstyn won her Oscar for Best Actress for her powerful turn as Alice Hyatt in Martin Scorsese’s 1974 film “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore,” and it was clearly well-deserved. Always an actress in pursuit of roles as strong female characters, Burstyn took this film on after her huge success with “The Exorcist.” Join us — Pete Wright and Andy Nelson — as we start our Ellen Burstyn series with “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore.” We…

• Pandamonium

★★★½ Added by Pandamonium

Other than the terrible Boxcar Bertha I think this is the only film by Scorsese with a female lead and it's possible to see why he stopped making those after he got more control over his projects. I think Alice is a decent film, but the characterization of Alice Hyatt (Ellen Burstyn) is quite broad. Together with her spoiled son she decides to leave her hometown after her husband dies. She has aspirations to be a singer, but with her…

• Dorico Williams

★★★★ Watched by Dorico Williams 18 Nov, 2014

I was 50/50 on whether I was going to like this or not, heard and read good things, and they were right. This was a great film. Scorsese's frenetic energy and early visual style was there, script is top notch( loved the witty, breakneck-dialogue.) The cast was great. Burstyn, Foster, Lutter, Keitel, Ladd, all great.

They almost messed up with the ending, having a man swoop in would've been the worst way to go. Glad they acknowledged Alice wanting to live for herself and no one else. Her husband dying was the best thing that could've happened for her and her unruly ass son.

• sage

★★★ Watched by sage 18 Feb, 2014

um.. it was nice, im not rly a scorsese fan so tbh i wasnt super into it?? it just wasnt rly my thing

• Joel Edwards

★★★★ Watched by Joel Edwards 04 Nov, 2014

Edwards does Scorsese, part 4

I love that Scorsese followed up Mean Streets with a feminist picture. This movie is really lovely and hits all the right emotional notes. It feels real. Ellen Burstyn plays the hell out of this role. The only thing that brought me out of the movie was Harvey Keitel's character, but he's only on screen for like five minutes so it's not a huge deal. It took me a while to realize the boy Tommy becomes friends with is actually Jodie Foster.