• Peter Floyd

★★★★½ Watched by Peter Floyd 28 Jul, 2015

It's such a shame, this is so underrated.

• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 20 Jul, 2015

A very powerful and mesmerizing drama from Martin Scorsese that features an incredible performance from Ellen Burstyn as a widow trying to raise her bratty son as they try to start over.

• Ethan Rosenberg

Watched by Ethan Rosenberg 18 Jul, 2015

Martin Scorsese has always been concerned with matters of domesticity, and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is his most naked film. The whips and pans are still there, but stripped of the color/artifice that mark his more famous work, they reveal themselves to be filled with unbridled anxiety. An anxiety Alice, a thoughtful, sensitive person with a troubled son who has no idea how to get what she wants, shares. Screenwriter Robert Getchell deserves credit for crafting very truthful characters…

• Brent Paton

★★★ Watched by Brent Paton 03 Jul, 2015

It's a bit rough but you can see Scorsese's enthusiasm. There's fun dialogue in the diner, has Mel, Flo, and Alice, and I wondered about the connection to the TV series. The kid in the movie is very annoying. The opening sequence looked really cool and I was hoping the whole movie had a classic 30's look.

• Alex Kolpan

★★★★ Watched by Alex Kolpan 02 Jul, 2015

The score in this movie kills me.

Ellen Burnstyn handles Alice with such confidence yet tenderness that she becomes a character that's hard to forget. Maybe Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore but she'll certainly have a place in my mind for a while.

• FilmGuy1997

★★★★ Added by FilmGuy1997

This is a very entertaining and involving film. It runs out of steam towards the end, but it's still a fine film.

• mikecuenca

★★★★ Rewatched by mikecuenca 17 Jun, 2015

4th viewing.

A director for hire gig but Scorsese's stamp is all over it. From the Oz like opening cut to the Mott the Hoople tracking the landscape to the Tommy watching TV by his lonesome scene.

Like his other first features, clunky in parts with uneven pacing, but a classic.

Scorsese himself is faced with the duality that a lot of his characters deal with. Scorsese being a very masculine director makes a feminine feature. It's pretty great.

When…

• Ross Birks

★★★★ Watched by Ross Birks 08 Jun, 2015

This has been a long time coming but with Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore officially crossed off of the watchlist, I've now seen every one of Martin Scrosese's movies!

I often wonder why this one always got pushed to the bottom of the pile. Maybe, along with New York, New York (which I finally crossed off last week) it's one of the least talked about and least remarkable on the surface. After Hours seems to finally be getting the attention…

• ctkruckus

Rewatched by ctkruckus 20 May, 2015

This movie is just great. I don't think I've seen it in 10 years.

• Patrick Devitt

Watched by Patrick Devitt 05 May, 2015

I though Scorsese couldn’t get much worse than Mean Streets. Oh, was I wrong. This is an absolute chore to get through. Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore features on of the most annoying children I have ever come across in a film. I often find children to be obnoxious in film, but I can appreciate their effort they put into the role. I never thought I would mention Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore and the The Babadook in the same…

• Matt

★★★ Watched by Matt 18 Apr, 2015

Probably the least Scorsese of any of his films and his only female-centric one. Ellyn Burstyn is fantastic in the leading role as Alice, her son is almost exhaustingly annoying and Keitel and Kristofferson do well as various boyfriends but it's Burstyn's show. The movie is actually funnier than I expected it to be and I didn't care for the ending that much but the final shot is pretty great.

• Jerry Downing

★★★★ Rewatched by Jerry Downing 21 Apr, 2015

Early Martin Scorsese film that earned Ellen Burstyn a well deserved Oscar.