• Jerell

★★★ Rewatched by Jerell 23 Feb, 2015

Kiss my grits, metaphorically.

• Bojan Žarković

★★★★½ Watched by Bojan Žarković 19 Feb, 2015

Odličan "ženski" film.

• Ben Lane

★★★★★ Watched by Ben Lane 17 Feb, 2015

This is a masterful take on romance and broken relationships, but at its core, it's about the bonding between a mother and her son, and it's beautiful. This is a great piece of work from Martin Scorsese.

• Daniel Barnes

★★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Barnes 28 Jan, 2015

Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore is a film about complication and tension – marriage as an end, death as a beginning, open roads leading to dead ends, Monterey dreams in an Arizona piano bar – and perhaps the most exciting tension is the unlikely collaboration between Burstyn and director Martin Scorsese. Burstyn helped to develop the material at Warner Bros. as her follow-up vehicle to The Exorcist, and she was instrumental in bringing aboard Scorsese, then hot off of his…

• Alan Jeffrey

★★★★½ Watched by Alan Jeffrey 17 Jan, 2015

At once, a celebration, critique, and examination of the unexpected and honest range of emotions we go through as we transition from so desperately pursuing what we want in life, however ridiculous or unneeded that might, to finding contentment and joy in what we have and have been given in life.

• tokyo5

★½ Watched by tokyo5 09 Jan, 2015

A woman struggles with the transition from housewife / mother to widow / single mother ... but, with the help of new friends, learns to be strong.

Japanese title: "Alice-no-koi"

• Joshua Correll

★★★½ Watched by Joshua Correll 04 Jan, 2015

I'm not trying to sound like a cliche when I say that they really don't make them like this anymore. I just honestly can't think of the last time I've seen a film with a female protagonist that is just literally about her living her life as best she can. No major events happen, she has to overcome some obstacles, but nothing unrealistic. We just get a real flesh and blood character on the screen.

• mildiasdechuva

★★★ Watched by mildiasdechuva 03 Jan, 2015

I have mixed feelings about it. I liked it, and I thought Alice was a funny character, but she tolerated a lot of shit from her abusive lovers. I liked the end of it, especially the romantic scene.

• Jack Dignan

★★★½ Watched by Jack Dignan 31 Dec, 2014

Film #98 of the 100 Movie Challenge

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is not nearly the best Scorsese film around, but hey, it ain't bad either. There's some great performances to be had and a screenplay that, um, has a lot of yelling, but the dialogue's pretty good too.

• Connor Denney

★★★★ Watched by Connor Denney 25 Dec, 2014

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore takes us into the life of Alice, a woman whose misfortunes cover everything from relationships with bad men and the struggles of raising a son to the conflict between her aspirations and her place in life. The film gives us easy access to Alice’s heart and mind. The camera points at angles just strange enough to show the various rooms that act as setting for this film in a rather unique way, heightening the connection…

• Ben Lott

★★ Watched by Ben Lott 03 Dec, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Watching Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore was one of the most unusual experiences I've ever had. So I'm suffering through this somewhat rambling story about a mom who loses her husband and takes her kid on the road, hoping to get a job as a singer to support them. It's really not my style of movie and, while it is filmed with a lot of style and some interesting camera work, I was starting to lose interest. Then out of…

• thenextreel

★★★ Watched by thenextreel 04 Dec, 2014

“It ain’t Peggy Lee."

Ellen Burstyn won her Oscar for Best Actress for her powerful turn as Alice Hyatt in Martin Scorsese’s 1974 film “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore,” and it was clearly well-deserved. Always an actress in pursuit of roles as strong female characters, Burstyn took this film on after her huge success with “The Exorcist.” Join us — Pete Wright and Andy Nelson — as we start our Ellen Burstyn series with “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore.” We…