• MysticSpoonAttack

★★★½ Rewatched by MysticSpoonAttack 26 Feb, 2015 3

Part 7 of The Ridley & Tony Scott Project

Yeah, I'm in the Aliens camp on this one. That doesn't mean I dislike the original Alien, though. The problem is that sitting through Alien feels more like homework to me than a true experience. I absolutely love the set design and just the look of the film in general, but the characters are little more than your stock haunted house characters and the pacing is a little too slow. Considering that…

• DoctorSmocter

★★★★½ Rewatched by DoctorSmocter 26 Feb, 2015

R.I.P. epileptics.

"Alien" holds an odd place in what I suppose you'd call my film canon. I neither find it to be a masterpiece or, at any point, a scary film, but it's well-made and I do enjoy it a lot.

• Aaron White

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron White 25 Feb, 2015

Such an incredible science fiction horror film. It withstands the test of time very well. Who needs CGI? The psychological terror of hardly ever seeing the Xenomorph is intense. There are so many perfectly executed scenes in which you expect it to pop out, but Ridley Scott patiently waits and chooses his moments perfectly. Always and forever a genre masterpiece.

• BlackLabel89

★★★★★ Added by BlackLabel89

The best sci-fi,horror movie ever made! Goes in my Top 5 Horror list in spot Nr.1, and Nr.2 obviously goes to Aliens! Suspense from the beggining to end!

• Joe

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe 25 Feb, 2015

If you ever forget how rich, deep, fearless, and gonzo this movie is, all you have to do is watch it again.

• Charles Johnson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Charles Johnson 23 Feb, 2015

It's telling that Alien first introduces us not to its characters, but to its ship, the Nostromo and the long, dark, narrow corridors that form the labyrinth that will host the crew's demise.

It's also telling that Alien's scariest character, and by far most frightening moment come not from the eponymous 8ft killing machine, but from uber-oddbod Ash, who is not all he appears to be.

Still a masterclass in tension and unexpected moments, Alien stands as one of the most enjoyable films of the 1970's, perhaps only behind Jaws. If that's not fine endorsement then I don't know what is.

• chronovore

★★★★★ Rewatched by chronovore 02 Feb, 2015

Who knew putting a stalker/killer movie in space would be so groundbreaking? After Star Wars, this movie formed the basis for what I expected out of science fiction visuals; it seems to have had a similar effect on the rest of the world. Pretty much everything looked like it was aping Alien for the next decade. If you look at Ron Cobb’s concept work for this, it’s clear how much of a stunning influence he’s been.

The creature was amazing…

• Alex Case

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Case 22 Feb, 2015

This is one of my favorite horror films of all time. The film does a fantastic job of setting up a slow burn before it shifts into horror elements, and once it gets into horror, it leaves the appearance of the Alien to your imagination wonderfully. Additionally, Giger's creature designs are disturbing enough that when we finally do see the creature, it lives up to our imaginings, as opposed to falling short of them.

Definitely one of the best SF and Horror films of all time.

• Michael Nordine

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Nordine 21 Feb, 2015

"I admire its purity."

• Candra Aditya

★★★★ Watched by Candra Aditya 22 Feb, 2015

In my room no one can hear I scream

• mogwai089

★★★½ Added by mogwai089

It was a little bit slow in some places but still an absolutely fantastic film.

• Jordan Mackay

★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan Mackay 21 Feb, 2015

*2003 Director's Cut

From a production design standpoint, Alien is almost unparalleled. I think I even like the design and level of detail put into the Nostromo more than the Giger stuff. Putting aside the lack of any CGI and Ripley's hair-do, watching this on BluRay it looks as if could have been made within the last 10 years.

However, there's still some plot elements that bug me. It doesn't help that this cut reinstates the scene where Ripley finds…