• Jacob HB

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jacob HB 01 Sep, 2014

[Theatrical Cut] (Cribbed from my own contribution to Go Into The Story's 70's Movie month)

Instead of waxing lyrical about how Alien is Ridley Scott at the top of his game, I’d rather talk about how it feels to experience the film.
    The film opens quietly and free of humans, we see the vastness of space and then the enormous exterior of the Nostromo before cutting inside to a maze-like, artificial environment, made up of interface screens and flashing lights.…

• Joe Eastham

★★★★★ Watched by Joe Eastham 30 Sep, 1980

Probably the best grown-up science fiction film ever made.

• Robert Saucedo

★★★★½ Rewatched by Robert Saucedo 29 Aug, 2014 1

It's astonishing how modern this film feels. Watching it on the big screen with an audience will have you doubting it's been 35 years since this movie was released. This movie is as close to perfection as most films come.

• Ross

★★★★½ Rewatched by Ross 29 Aug, 2014 1

An absolute classic that without a shadow of a doubt stands the test of time. The sheer attention to detail paid to the set, costumes, effects and characters is magnificent.

Ridley Scott's finest moment in my opinion.

• Coalton Ross

★★★★ Watched by Coalton Ross 28 Aug, 2014

Alien is a film that influenced the sci-fi horror genre and basically birthed modern sci-fi horror as a whole. With this being said and its influence not at all discounted, I actually didn't enjoy this as much as I expected to. I still highly enjoyed it and liked a grand deal, but I didn't fall head over heels in love with it like I expected. I actually prefer John Carpenter's The Thing as far as both cinematography and narrative goes,…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 26 Jul, 2008

After his impressive directorial debut, 1977's period piece The Duellists, with his second film Ridley Scott went on to make one of the biggest classics in the science fiction and horror genres. Alien is an arresting film on many levels. With a haunting and eerie atmosphere and with really interesting characters, this movie has a nightmarish feel from beginning to end that suited perfectly its intriguing and frightening plot. The original design of the alien creature as seen in this film and its mostly suggested presence remain to date some of the creepiest things in movie history.

• KMOKLER

★★★★ Added by KMOKLER

A thrilling movie that was way ahead of its time that has timeless special effects and a great performance from sigourney weaver.

• Tom Bannatyne

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Bannatyne 20 Aug, 2014

'I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.'

Alien is not only a benchmark for the genres of horror and sci-fi in film, it is also an example of how the best characters are not defined by parameters set by a screenwriter or two. If reports are to believed, all seven characters in Alien were written as non-gender specific, but it was not for some time that it was considered that Ripley could be a…

• Selmara

★★★★★ Added by Selmara

επειδη μου λειπει πολυ η Ellen Ripley και τη θυμαμαι κατα καιρους, ηρθα να πω οτι ειναι ισως ο καλυτερος και ρεαλιστικοτερος γυναικειος χαρακτηρας που εχω δει ποτε σε καποιου ειδους 'τεχνη'

• hockeyfan15

★★★★½ Watched by hockeyfan15 24 Aug, 2014 5

I've said stuff like "I can't believe this was the first time I saw this!" a lot this year. Of all of the times I've said that this year, this is probably the ultimate one.

Alien is a sure classic and it's suspense at it best. The visuals are awesome, especially since this film was made in 1979. The acting is outstanding, Sigourney Weaver, is outstanding in her debut film. Everything in this movie is great! So why 4.5 stars.…

• Jason

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jason 25 Aug, 2014

B&W

• Beef Surpreme

★★★½ Watched by Beef Surpreme 23 Aug, 2014 2

Ich kann nicht so viel mit soch "alten" Filmen anfangen. Ich muss immer den Vergleich zu neueren Filmen ziehen, vor allem im Science-Fiktion und in der Horror-Spalte (siehe meine Revies zu The Thing) und in diesem ziehen die alten meist den kürzeren.
    In diesem Falle muss ich zunächst sagen, dass Segourney Weaver atemberaubend gespielt hat (wie attraktiv jung sie da war!), die Geschichte ist spannend erzählt. Ich hätte mir mehr Horror gewünscht, mehr Abwechslung, mehr nicht so typische Horror-Logik (Oh,…