• elias1026

★★★½ Watched by elias1026 30 Mar, 2015

Ridley Scott's Alien perfectly embodies why I will never in my life, go to space.

A well-paced Sci-Fi horror flick, Alien tells the story of group of explorers who become absolutely terrorized by a mysterious and foreign life-form. This film is a whirlwind. Thinking back, I have actual trouble remembering what I watched. What I do remember, and probably always will remember, are several cringe-inducing scenes in which Alien is present.

How do you even write about a film this legendary?

• ChinOfTarantino

★★★★½ Rewatched by ChinOfTarantino 30 Mar, 2015

The ultimate sci-fi slasher still draws modern audiences: watched it on the big screen for the first time this evening and a lady behind me yelped in fright when Dallas discovered the alien in the air vents (in a full cinema).

What makes this film so fascinating is that - particularly as time passes - the 'B-grade' elements (the humour, ageing special effects and a memorable editing mishap) mesh together with the mastery of cinematography, cutting, production design, directing and…

• Justin Harrison

★★★★★ Rewatched by Justin Harrison 29 Mar, 2015

The cast. The xenomorph. The lighting. The use of space and the screen. Jerry Goldsmith's score. H.R. Giger's design. There is so much to love about Alien, so much to day. For the time being though, I must be content with saying that this is, for me, a perfect movie.

• Zach

★★★★★ Watched by Zach 29 Mar, 2015 2

Alien - 10/10 (Director's Cut)

I meant to watch the regular theatrical cut of the film because it is the "true directors cut", but the directors cut was more easily accessible and I was assured the differences are pretty much negligible but the theatrical is slightly better. I also watched the "Cocoon sequence" after watching on youtube.

Anyways, this is a really great film. Ridley sure has a way of envisioning fantastic set design and beautiful atmosphere. He also apparently…

• Bobby Karmi

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bobby Karmi 29 Mar, 2015

A masterpiece of science fiction and horror, Alien is a gorgeous claustrophobic nightmare that will leave you shaking by the end. The film combines themes of Philip K. Dick and H. P. Lovecraft expertly while also giving for the most part a biologically and technologically sound example of a what the future may look like and what we may find out there. The acting is great, with no one giving less than a capable, layered performance, which is why we…

• Jimmy Bobo

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jimmy Bobo 28 Mar, 2015

Alien is one of the rare horror movies I rewatch and some parts still take me by surprise, owed in no small part to the claustrophobic corridors of a derelict craft and the genuinely terrified people looking to escape from it.

• Jiel73

★★★★ Rewatched by Jiel73 29 Mar, 2015

A masterpiece in many aspects. Looking at it now makes me realize that it still holds to this very day. Then it has to be a real good movie.

• Mitch Anderson

Watched by Mitch Anderson 26 Mar, 2015

This one'll be mostly bullet points, as it's a lot to take in on first viewing:

- Finally get to cross this off the #1 spot on my to-see list (#2 is, duh, Aliens, coming in the mail next week).

- It seems like a small observation, but the characters' motivations and actions being based entirely on their shares and bonuses as opposed to some sort of "greater truth" or nobility feels quietly revolutionary, even today (or, as Patton Oswalt…

• Paul Davey

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Davey 25 Mar, 2015

Among the most completely realized movies I've ever seen. Nothing whatsoever wasted. Still probably the scariest movie I've seen as well.

• Lukeh

★★★★½ Watched by Lukeh 27 Mar, 2015

Confession time.

1. I have never watched Alien before this.

2. I have never had any inclination to watch it until playing Alien Isolation on the PS4, a incredibly well received and downright creepy game set in the Alien universe.

3. I am a stupid, stupid person.

Why have I never watched this before? Why has it taken 26 years of my life to actually sit down and watch Alien? I am a big girls blouse, that I will admit,…

• Cactus Matt

★★★½ Added by Cactus Matt

Slow burning horror/sci-fi moves at an almost dull pace, though there is plenty of invention and interest in the characters and setting.

• cvez

★★★★★ Watched by cvez 26 Mar, 2015

From an era when blockbusters were brainy and challenging. Every shot of this masterpiece is jam packed with meaning.