• BespinRaptor

★★★★★ Added by BespinRaptor

You are my lucky star. You... Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky.

Alien is amazing. Pure and simple. If you haven't seen this film by now, you really need to. It is a complete package; interesting story, great designs, eerie score and so much tension, it will have you on the edge of your seat. The level of detail is amazing too and makes me think of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Every inch of the ship looks lived in and that…

• Dalton

★★★★★ Watched by Dalton 04 Oct, 2015

Alien opens with shots of the interior of the spacecraft, the Nostromo. Though the ship appears to be up and running, there are absolutely no signs of life. These shots are oddly unsettling and immediately give the audience a sense of unease. Such begins a two-hour cat-and-mouse chase and one of the best thrillers of all time. Alien seamlessly combines the action, drama, horror, and suspense genres in order to create a movie that flows effortlessly and never lets up.…

• Mallory Andrews

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mallory Andrews 04 Oct, 2015

Assorted thoughts on a movie that has been talked about to death:

-Love that the crew are a bunch of working-class contractors rather than scientists or explorers. Can we just talk about the bonus situation?
    -The water condensation/rain set is a great shipboard visual.
    -They get a jump scare out of the cat TWICE and neither time feels cheap or gratuitous.
    -Even though it's outdated, I still really like the design of the ship's computer screen interface (e.g., the horizontal rectangles that Ash uses to guide the ship down to the planet).

• Benjamin Turnbull

★★★★★ Rewatched by Benjamin Turnbull 04 Oct, 2015

First viewing in a theatre. Yep, still good.

Format: Digital projection, theatrical cut
    Location: Lightbox
    Company: Maxim, Evan

• Wes Ball

★★★★★ Rewatched by Wes Ball 04 Oct, 2015 4

An open letter to my pet beagle, Ripley, who will be going to a new home tomorrow,

Dear Ripley,

I have been meaning to show you this film ever since I first met you back in February. The fact is, I chose your name because of my personal affection for this film and its main character. It may have seemed a little odd that I chose a name that began with the exact same letter as your predecessor's (Rosie,…

• BlasterSteve

★★★★½ Watched by BlasterSteve 03 Oct, 2015

36 Jahre sind inzwischen seit dem ersten Aufeinandertreffen von Ellen Ripley und dem unheimlichen Wesen aus einer fremden Welt vergangen. Selbst wenn es 2-3 Kleinigkeiten gibt, die man heute sicher besser machen könnte, hat sich "Alien" viel von seiner Faszination über diesen langen Zeitraum bewahrt. Die beklemmende und bedrohliche Atmosphäre – die ohne große Effekthascherei auskommt – bleibt gerade wegen dieser Einfachheit unerreicht. Es braucht oft nicht mehr als ein wenig unbehagliche Stille, um Spannung zu erzeugen. Über jeden Zweifel erhaben ist zudem das ikonische Design, seien es die einzelnen Kreaturen oder das Innere des Raumschiffs.

• Chris Williams

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Williams 03 Oct, 2015

Tom Skerritt in the air hatch. There is no more terrifying moment in cinema for me.

• SouloGuero

½ Added by SouloGuero

Science fiction bores me to death, mostly, and I don't care if this film was "done well." It's non-immersive for me and way too subjective a concept. The special effects, too, are lingered over too long like a fetish, that is not my own.

• HP_Lovecat

★★★★ Rewatched by HP_Lovecat 03 Oct, 2015

Theatrical Cut.

Loses points for having a scare factor not nearly as strong as it used to be, and I think it's largely in part to how the adult Alien confrontation scenes were directed. The majority of the shots of just hallways and interior remain gripping and extremely atmospheric. But when the Alien shows up, it just loses me...I'm not too sure why. The tension is all gone--the alien is just kind of there. That's the best way I can…

• MacDara Conroy

★★★½ Rewatched by MacDara Conroy 03 Oct, 2015

First viewing of the 2003 'Director's Cut', not that it really makes much of a difference either way as it's essentially the same film, and still unimpeachable in its marriage of gothic sci-fi and stalk-and-slash horror. Pitch-perfect performances by all, especially the hard-nosed Sigourney Weaver in her star-making turn, but not ignoring the incredible production and sound design that really make the film what it is. I much prefer the Ridley Scott who made gritty, haunting films like this and Blade Runner, not the one who lost his nerve in the mid '80s and never truly recovered.

• Pete Harrison

★★★★★ Added by Pete Harrison

A near-prefect film. On last re-watch I noticed the lovely bookends, with the swelling music and waking up/going back to sleep. Its a bit like a fairy story, or a horror story.

• phresquin