• Irimiás and Petrina

★★★★½ Watched by Irimiás and Petrina 11 Feb, 2016

I definitely think I'd appreciate this more after a second viewing and after reading a lot of the comments here and some essays on the film I already feel like my appreciation has gone up. That being said this is still one of the Godard films I had some difficulty connecting with. But part of that seems to be the point? Godard is playing on the tropes of film noir, it's coldness, it's coolness and sci-fi elements. The film deals…

• Jeff Youngstrom

★★★★ Watched by Jeff Youngstrom 08 Feb, 2016

Inspired to watch this by the Cinema Gadfly podcast (cinemagadfly.com/podcast/s1e11.html ).

Stylish, surreal, scifi noir. Odd combination of incomprehensible and affecting.

There are several really beautiful spiral staircases if you're into that.

• Ingen

★★ Watched by Ingen 08 Feb, 2016

Feb 2016 challenge - science fiction

A truly unconventional and unique film bogged down by a poorly executed plot, incoherent dialogue, and Alpha 60’s unpleasant voice. Most of the movie was disconcerting and inexplicable and seemed to consist of Lemmy walking in and out of various buildings and up and down stairs and hallways while Alpha 60 narrated. The camerawork was amazing and good use was made of the interplay between light and shadow. There were some beautiful moments toward the end, especially the love scene between Natasha and Lemmy in the hotel room, but it was a relief when this movie was over.

• Michael Stuhlman

★★★★ Watched by Michael Stuhlman 03 Feb, 2016

Possibly my favorite from Godard. Definitely in my top 3. Alphaville is a healthy dose of classic noir. A more intimately focused take on the likes of Metropolis, and something of a precursor to Blade Runner's dystopian future styling. In some ways it even borders on someone like Tati for it's sheer playfulness in compositions. Best of all it's fun to watch, even if you don't care much for some of the philosophical babble.

• Matti Hansson

★★ Watched by Matti Hansson 06 Feb, 2016

Det är mycket jag älskar med den här filmen. Eddie Constantine är fantastisk som en noirdeckare; Absurda scener och dialog är roliga och väcker tankar; Man åker mellan galaxer i en vanlig bil; Bassängscenen! Den här filmen har så mycket stil! Tyvärr är det allt. Handlingen är tråkig, få karaktärer är minnesvärda och Alpha 60 har en röst som får en att vilja klösa ut trumhinnorna. När den sätter igång en av sina många långa monologer önskar jag bara att filmen vore slut.

• Baz_the_film_guy

★★½ Watched by Baz_the_film_guy 06 Feb, 2016 2

I try so damn hard to get on with Godard, alas his work really isn't for me. I can appreciate the aesthetics of Alphaville, however, it left me feeling a bit empty, a trait I find with almost all of the auteur's work.

Eddie Constantine and Anna Karina are fine, managing to pull a performance out of a script that is rather baffling to say the least. I often feel slightly apologetic that I don't "get" Godard as a filmmaker; a little embarrassed even, as a cinephile I have given enough time to his work, I think it's time I moved on.

• Chris

★★★½ Watched by Chris 06 Feb, 2016

Alphaville works better as a concept and a collection of vignettes and ideas than it does as a movie. It is sometimes bewildering and confusing and sometimes humourous and intriguing and always self-aware. The mise-en-scene and the dialogue are as stylish and as well-delivered as you'd expect from a Godard movie and there are some beautiful shots, especially when Anna Karina is in front of the camera.

I didn't enjoy it as much as Godard's other films but certainly it's an interesting film that's mostly enjoyable.

• Nic Gorman

★★★½ Rewatched by Nic Gorman 04 Feb, 2016

What beautiful interiors.

• Nicola Altieri

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nicola Altieri 02 Feb, 2016

Mamma santa. Io non ce la faccio. Ogni volta che rivedo un film di Godard di questo periodo piango. Ogni volta che vedo Anna Karina piango.
    Il più bel bianco e nero di sempre, impresso su pellicola fotografica anziché cinematografica.
    Intrattenimento e filosofia, distopia e noir. Un racconto sul potere con stile anarchico e d'assoluta libertà.

Da un po' ho smesso di vedere o rivedere vecchi film perché poi non riesco a vedere quelli nuovi. Faccio bene, non ho dubbi…

• shahbakht

★★½ Watched by shahbakht 01 Feb, 2016

Watched for Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16

Week 21: Master of the Week Jean-Luc Godard

Oh, spare me the pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

That was a bit too harsh.

Seems like Godard had a fever dream that was a cross between 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 and decided to shoot it with added weirdness. The effects are way less philosophical and biting, I believe.

Alphaville has tremendous ideas and it does some pretty good things with it, particularly the conversations between Alpha 60 and…

• Sean Cassidy

★★★½ Watched by Sean Cassidy 13 Dec, 2014

The precursor to many dystopian movies, Alphaville nevertheless stands on its own. The creepy, ever-present voice of Alpha 60, the supercomputer that controls Alphaville, is a great example of this. I didn’t realize it was the computer until halfway through the movie; I thought it was the narrator. There some interesting shots. The plot was a little hard to follow. I still liked it, but there are better French New Wave films for sure.

• Gabriel Guimarães

★★★★ Watched by Gabriel Guimarães 30 Jan, 2016

Week 20 of the Letterboxd Season Challenge 2015-16: Sci-Fi Week
    My list.

More the idea of a noirish, dystopian sci-fi, which makes it kinda better for it. Distinctively a Godard movie, full of coolness, philosophical concepts and some experimenting. Nice.