• nikae

★★★★ Added by nikae

More like reading an intellectual and surrealistic story but still a superb film.

• Cipo

★★★½ Watched by Cipo 23 Nov, 2015

Credo di aver capito un quarto di questo film, sicuramente da rivedere.

★★★★ Watched by STEPHEN TUBBS 16 Aug, 2012

Its refreshing to go back and visit a different form of film making.

• Carl

★★★★ Rewatched by Carl 12 Nov, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I like how this avoids the clichéd visual cues of science fiction and is filmed within a contemporary (though futuristic looking architecture for the time) setting. Also, with just a few keywords from the sci-fi lexicon (alpha, omega, galaxy and a few others) Godard is able to build a future dystopian world. It’s in the vein of Stalker or World on a Wire where there are no special effects, is set in the present looking day, and the sci-fi ideas…

• Vinnie De Craim

★★★½ Added by Vinnie De Craim

The depiction of a logic-obsessed world is mediocre at best when compared to other films of its genre. But like many of Godard's films, the distinctive style and atmosphere make up for it. Mixing film noir with dystopian science-fiction and blending it with nighttime-Paris, creates some visually delightful scenery.

• Leo Brady

★★★★★ Watched by Leo Brady 02 Nov, 2015

First comes "Metropolis". Second comes "Alphaville". Third comes "Blade Runner". They play as a trilogy of sci-fi films. A lead character like Lemmy Caution is possibly the best spy name ever.

• cblaze

★★★½ Watched by cblaze 27 Oct, 2015

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication... In fact this film is too complex for my simple brain. I had to read the IMDB synopsis towards the end of the film for me to realize what was actually going on. Once I did that pieces fell into place - but like I said it was too complex and new wave for my simple tired mind for me to grasp. I felt it was a wonderfully directed film by Godard - that much I have a full grasp of.

Edit: Thank you for your insightful reviews on this one

• sven.

★★★★ Watched by sven. 25 Oct, 2015

ein computer überflügelt seine konstrukteure und macht

sie zu sklaven ihrer eigenen vorstellungen und zukunftsängste.

das damokles schwert schwebt über allen und ritzt feine schlitze

durch den schädel hindurch, auf das kissen auf dem er sich bettet.

dabei werden blutrote wunden, fleischiger dystopie sichtbar.

die logikmaschinerie lässt keinen platz für menschlichkeit.

exekutionen in hallenbädern.

domino-effekt in die elektronengehirntyrannei.

alphaville - hauptstadt der schmerzen.

godard mal wieder als moralphilosoph.

of barbarism and human apparatuses.

• Alexander Luzgarev

★★★★ Added by Alexander Luzgarev

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication.

• Tony Rittenhouse

★★★★½ Watched by Tony Rittenhouse 23 Oct, 2015

Basically a movie directly made for my sensibilities. Will be re-watching again very soon.

• Saul Rosenbear

Watched by Saul Rosenbear 19 Oct, 2015

• Brian Stack

★★★ Watched by Brian Stack 18 Oct, 2014

Alpha 60, Professor von Braun's hyper-intelligent computer, took over the city, creating a cold, rational paradise where weeping for a deceased loved one is a capital offense and emotional words are outlawed.

Secret agent Lemmy Caution (Eddie Constantine) arrives in "Alphaville" on a mission to find missing agent Henry Dickson, kill Professor von Braun, and destroy the computer.

Despite originating in a series of novels by British novelist, Peter Cheyney, Caution is clearly modeled on Humphrey Bogart's interpretation of Sam…