• vaz

★★½ Added by vaz

Demasiada mafufada. Atmosféricamente está bien conseguida, pero bueno, ante este cine siempre tengo la sensación de que me quieren dar liebre por gato. Obviamente yo prefiero los gatos.

Visualmente es buena. Pero tienes que estar en cierto humor para disfrutarla y seguirla.

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 05 Mar, 2014

Combines the surface elements of Noir and Science Fiction (about an 80/20 mix) in a pastiche that seems like the product of a cynical, French Ed Wood (with somewhat better cinematography) up until the conclusion which reveals a very Ed-Wood-ian earnest romanticism.

• Chris Campbell

Watched by Chris Campbell 01 Aug, 2006

Godard takes on the science fiction genre and mixes it with film noir decades before Blade Runner, but being Godard, he does it with a sense of humour and virtuoso shooting. Every now and then I would be amazed at the length of shots and the elaborate framing and movement. It’s a science fiction film that makes fun of the genre by throwing in nonsense names and using existing technology and locations in an sf context. In an odd and…

• Greg

★★★½ Added by Greg

It's been a while, but I remember the black and white and the only slightly off-kilter "future" sucking me in. I liked it because the moving pictures were interesting and there was no obnoxious soundtrack--that I remember. I'll watch it again soon and update.

• Scott Nye

Watched by Scott Nye 29 Aug, 2014

Haunting and transportive.

• James Utley

★★★★½ Watched by James Utley 31 Aug, 2014

It's Sci-Fi as done by Jean-Luc Godard, yet overall it feels more Film-Noir-ish taking things from that genre. It shows the genius of Godard's early career (which I have not yet left to go into his later films), yet I feel like I should have liked it more than I did.

A U.S. secret agent is sent to the distant space city of Alphaville where he must find a missing person and free the city from its tyrannical ruler.

The…

• Sondre Hareide

★★★ Watched by Sondre Hareide 26 Aug, 2014

As I was watching this my brain shut down. I was unable to process anything that was going on. I just sat there. It looked cool though.

• Luis F. Mayorgas

Watched by Luis F. Mayorgas 24 Aug, 2014

Es encomiable para una película francesa de los 60, prácticamente sin presupuesto, el esfuerzo que hace por mezclar elementos del film noir y de la ciencia ficción más filosófica, tratando temas como el control totalitario de una población manipulando algo tan esencial como el lenguaje (al mas puro estilo Orwell) o indagando sobre que es lo que nos hace humanos. Algo que convierte una película en una versión prototípica de 1984 o Blade Runner en clave de cine francés europeo.…

• alphonse

★★★★½ Watched by alphonse 14 Aug, 2014 2

Godard tells us a futuristic story of an American detective who arrives in Alphaville, a futuristic city on a distant planet. Lemmy Caution's American character immediately puts him in collision with the local ruler, who had forbidden love and freedom of expression. I see Alphaville as a sort of mix between Martin Scorcese's Taxi Driver and Terry Gilliam's Brazil (with a heavy touch of Monsieur Godard's incomparable poetry, of course) because, as Godard's film, both present us a director's vision…

• Joseph Prestianni

★★½ Watched by Joseph Prestianni 10 Aug, 2014

On paper, this should be one of my favorite films of all time. Sadly, it's far from it. There are some things to like; some cool camera work, the mixing of sci fi and noir, and Constantine and Karina, and the first half hour or so had me intrigued, but the entire thing is marred by Godard's obnoxious tendencies. Touches too much on the forced love angle than on that sci fi I wanted.

Alpha 60's voice literally makes my throat hurt.

• trolleyfreak

Added by trolleyfreak

Godard's pulp fiction film, one of his most sheerly enjoyable, is a fascinating hybrid of science fiction and film noir. Shot entirely in a neon Paris of impersonal glass skyscrapers by expert cinematographer Coutard, it features Constantine in a reprisal of his legendary Lemmy Caution character. He's a secret agent trying to make sense of a surreal world with the help of Karina who, naturellement, is perfect in another glamorous and iconic role..

• Tom Prankerd

★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 18 Jul, 2014

Jean-Luc Godard's fusion of pulp spy stories, film noir, sci-fi and new wave realism has a lot going for it, including some imaginative direction and staging all carried off by a remarkably hard-edged performance from Constantine as Lemmy Caution. However, it's perhaps a little too self-conscious to be hugely enjoyable - Godard wants to have his cake and eat it too, sending up the staples of the various genres while relying on them for momentum at the same time. Nevertheless an interesting piece of work.