• Brent Paton

★★★ Watched by Brent Paton 27 Oct, 2014

It's artsy. I liked the photography. It wasn't clear to me if it was in the future or an alternate reality. The music score was repetitive. The voice of Alpha 60 got really annoying. I wanted to give him some lemon tea or throat lozenges. I'm sure it was more interesting when it came out but I didn't find the characters or the story very interesting.

• Boonmee

★★★½ Watched by Boonmee 21 Oct, 2014

I don't think I was paying close enough attention to this, so my assessment is a little unfair. The strangest thing happened as I watched Alphaville. My mind was freely wandering throughout and I was furiously attempting to wrangle it back in to focus on the film. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't help but drift away every few minutes- my eyes alert, but my brain far away, happy to explore other planets of thought. The film warrants…

• Shaun Heenan

★★★½ Watched by Shaun Heenan 11 Oct, 2014

Grew on me slowly, and by the end I realised I'd rather enjoyed it.

Godard doesn't seem to care about the plot of this movie. It's a tertiary concern at best. This makes it hard to follow, until you realise perhaps you don't really need to. He's more interested in the art of filmmaking and the examination of emotion. It's odd that he should choose a sci-fi noir to do it in, but there you go.

It's visually spectacular -…

• Gibnerd

★★★★ Watched by Gibnerd 08 Oct, 2014

you wouldn't think that the combination of french new wave, film noir and sci fi lite would make for such such a successful combination, but somehow Alphaville just works. it takes a while at first to get into it's very unique groove but once you do, chances are you'll be happily lost in Alphaville.

• Chris Rotondo

★★★★ Watched by Chris Rotondo 05 Oct, 2014

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. I really haven't enjoyed any of the other Godard films I've seen (Breathless, Band of Outsiders, Vivre Sa Vie, and Contempt). This film, however, was quite an enjoyable experience. Maybe the plot was more straightfoward? Maybe the film flows better? Maybe I was just paying better attention that I did with the other films? I don't know, but this was pretty good.

• myfunnyandy

★★★★★ Watched by myfunnyandy 04 Oct, 2014

La Nouvelle Vague leyendo a Huxley y Orwell. Un futuro tan cochambroso como cualquier presente en el que los viajes interplanetarios se hacen en coche. Chúpate esta, Matrix.

• Steve Kimes

★★★½ Added by Steve Kimes

I'm still trying to get a handle on the French New Wave. There is an attempt at a new style of storytelling, some of which is more successful than others. The 400 Blows is an excellent narrative, but without a compelling character. Last Year at Marienbad is poetry on screen with a dreamlike view of time and space, but without a cohesive narrative. Cleo from 9 to 5 is highly stylized with wonderful characterizations, but perhaps a bit too stilted.…

• vaz

★★½ Added by vaz

Demasiada mafufada. Atmosféricamente está bien conseguida, pero bueno, ante este cine siempre tengo la sensación de que me quieren dar liebre por gato. Obviamente yo prefiero los gatos.

Visualmente es buena. Pero tienes que estar en cierto humor para disfrutarla y seguirla.

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 05 Mar, 2014

Combines the surface elements of Noir and Science Fiction (about an 80/20 mix) in a pastiche that seems like the product of a cynical, French Ed Wood (with somewhat better cinematography) up until the conclusion which reveals a very Ed-Wood-ian earnest romanticism.

• Chris Campbell

Watched by Chris Campbell 01 Aug, 2006

Godard takes on the science fiction genre and mixes it with film noir decades before Blade Runner, but being Godard, he does it with a sense of humour and virtuoso shooting. Every now and then I would be amazed at the length of shots and the elaborate framing and movement. It’s a science fiction film that makes fun of the genre by throwing in nonsense names and using existing technology and locations in an sf context. In an odd and…

• Greg

★★★½ Added by Greg

It's been a while, but I remember the black and white and the only slightly off-kilter "future" sucking me in. I liked it because the moving pictures were interesting and there was no obnoxious soundtrack--that I remember. I'll watch it again soon and update.

• Scott Nye