• Tyler Foster

Watched by Tyler Foster 11 Nov, 2014

And I thought Pierrot le Fou was going over my head.

• Jay Dubberly

Watched by Jay Dubberly 10 Feb, 2015

Conceptually, I can't think of a better film. I knew going into this that I wasn't a big Godard fan, having given respect enough to his auteurism after viewing and not liking Pierrot le Fou and Breathless. But still I went in, and what I found was this brilliant satiric morality play. Some heavenly combination of film noir, science fiction, and fear of the machine There was another film that came out a few years later about the potential danger…

• Michael Strenski

★★★★ Watched by Michael Strenski 09 Feb, 2015

Who needs special effects in their science fiction film when they have Anna Karina's face?

• David Steigman

★★ Watched by David Steigman 07 Feb, 2015

I found this to be really dull and uninteresting. Not my kind of film

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Hernandez 02 Jun, 2014

In Jean-Luc Godard's witty New Wave meditation on film noir and science fiction, Dick Tracy and Flash Gordon are real. Or they were real, at least. They're both dead now, failed in their mission to take out the super-computer that runs the city of Alphaville. So, enter another pulp hero to finish the job. He's Lemmy Caution (created by British writer Peter Cheyney for a series of novels in the 1930s and 40s), portrayed here as the hardest of the…

• Sean Gilman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sean Gilman 04 Feb, 2015

"I was struck by the sadness and durability of her face."

"What are we going to see?" "I don't know, light and sound."

Coming up on the next episode of The George Sanders Show.

• Tara

★★★★½ Added by Tara

found this much more complex/stimulating than Breathless (I'm probably in the minority on that view). I loved the existentialism of it, the characters' blankness, the subtlety in the dystopian universe. if anything my criticism would be I wasn't sure whether the film was objectifying the female characters in it unfairly (I am aware that in this world women are objectified and seen as robotic 'seductresses' and such but I wanted say, Natasha's character to be more active instead of simply 'learning' to feel through Lemmy and not having richness in her conscience beyond her awareness of society's delusions and her love for him).

• envelopes

★★★★★ Rewatched by envelopes 11 Jul, 2014

Restored DCP screening.

• Bob Hovey

★★★½ Watched by Bob Hovey 29 Jan, 2015

It may not be a classic like Breathless or Contempt, but Jean-Luc Godard's Alphaville is nevertheless an interesting, unique and worthwhile film. A mind-bending blend of New Wave, Film Noir and Sci-Fi, Godard dispenses with special effects and purpose-built sets, choosing instead to make use of writing, cinematography and careful choice of Paris locations to depict a future earth ruled by by a tyrannical scientist and his supercomputer. Sharing elements with Huxley's Brave New World, Orwell's 1984 and Gilliam's Brazil,…

• disinvite

Watched by disinvite 08 Oct, 2014

No rating yet, but I will say that this was a uniquely joyless film viewing experience. I still cling to the notion, and perhaps it's a delusion, that my inability to get anything out of these Godard movies is my failure as a viewer. I guess I'll have to go read a book about him or something.

• Jordi Sánchez-Navarro

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jordi Sánchez-Navarro 25 Jan, 2015 2

La legendaria aproximación de Godard a la ciencia ficción distópica, una mezcla completamente alienígena de novelita pulp de espionaje y tratado de filosofía. Modernidad pura.

• JosephFinn

★½ Watched by JosephFinn 21 Jan, 2015

Jesus, Godard. This Orwellian-wannabe meandering that feels like we're waiting for the plot or the point to show up. Makes me want to see one of Eddie Constantine's films where he plays the lead character, Lemny Caution, in something with a plot.