• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 21 Mar, 2015

A very strange and abstract yet mesmerizing film from Jean-Luc Godard about a secret agent who enters a mysterious city to kill a scientist in a futuristic dystopia where individuality, love, and art is banned as it's one of Godard's finest films.

• E Harrison

★★ Watched by E Harrison 04 Mar, 2015

this is a cross between godard's ironic approach to cinema and flashy pulp, and to be honest neither one of them benefits from it

• kylepsmith

★★★★ Rewatched by kylepsmith 09 Mar, 2015

Weird that this is a science fiction film and my favorite parts involved discourses on language.

Also: there's a lot of stuff in here that was (almost verbatim) in TRUE DETECTIVE about the past is a circle and considering time as a linear construct and all that.

• Nathan Walters

★½ Added by Nathan Walters

Godard spends way too much time trying to explain his scifi world instead of merely letting it come to life. The acting and directing seem extremely weak and so much of the film feels awkwardly unnatural, like the actors pushin the hanging lightbulb. It's laughable, having watched this in 2015, what they imagine the future would be like. Anna Karina brings a nice performance though.

• Tyler Foster

Watched by Tyler Foster 11 Nov, 2014

And I thought Pierrot le Fou was going over my head.

• Jay Dubberly

Watched by Jay Dubberly 10 Feb, 2015

Conceptually, I can't think of a better film. I knew going into this that I wasn't a big Godard fan, having given respect enough to his auteurism after viewing and not liking Pierrot le Fou and Breathless. But still I went in, and what I found was this brilliant satiric morality play. Some heavenly combination of film noir, science fiction, and fear of the machine There was another film that came out a few years later about the potential danger…

• Michael Strenski

★★★★ Watched by Michael Strenski 09 Feb, 2015

Who needs special effects in their science fiction film when they have Anna Karina's face?

• David Steigman

★★ Watched by David Steigman 07 Feb, 2015

I found this to be really dull and uninteresting. Not my kind of film

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Hernandez 02 Jun, 2014

In Jean-Luc Godard's witty New Wave meditation on film noir and science fiction, Dick Tracy and Flash Gordon are real. Or they were real, at least. They're both dead now, failed in their mission to take out the super-computer that runs the city of Alphaville. So, enter another pulp hero to finish the job. He's Lemmy Caution (created by British writer Peter Cheyney for a series of novels in the 1930s and 40s), portrayed here as the hardest of the…

• Sean Gilman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sean Gilman 04 Feb, 2015

"I was struck by the sadness and durability of her face."

"What are we going to see?" "I don't know, light and sound."

Coming up on the next episode of The George Sanders Show.

• Tara

★★★★½ Added by Tara

found this much more complex/stimulating than Breathless (I'm probably in the minority on that view). I loved the existentialism of it, the characters' blankness, the subtlety in the dystopian universe. if anything my criticism would be I wasn't sure whether the film was objectifying the female characters in it unfairly (I am aware that in this world women are objectified and seen as robotic 'seductresses' and such but I wanted say, Natasha's character to be more active instead of simply 'learning' to feel through Lemmy and not having richness in her conscience beyond her awareness of society's delusions and her love for him).

• envelopes