• trolleyfreak

Added by trolleyfreak

Godard's pulp fiction film, one of his most sheerly enjoyable, is a fascinating hybrid of science fiction and film noir. Shot entirely in a neon Paris of impersonal glass skyscrapers by expert cinematographer Coutard, it features Constantine in a reprisal of his legendary Lemmy Caution character. He's a secret agent trying to make sense of a surreal world with the help of Karina who, naturellement, is perfect in another glamorous and iconic role..

• Tom Prankerd

★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 18 Jul, 2014

Jean-Luc Godard's fusion of pulp spy stories, film noir, sci-fi and new wave realism has a lot going for it, including some imaginative direction and staging all carried off by a remarkably hard-edged performance from Constantine as Lemmy Caution. However, it's perhaps a little too self-conscious to be hugely enjoyable - Godard wants to have his cake and eat it too, sending up the staples of the various genres while relying on them for momentum at the same time. Nevertheless an interesting piece of work.

• Colin Rudge

★★★½ Rewatched by Colin Rudge 19 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski

★★★ Watched by Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski 04 Jul, 2014

Even though Alphaville is about the midpoint in Jean-Luc Godard's New Wave, sixties filmography, it's really unsurprising to see him attempt to make a film that explores and subverts the general visual and narrative quips of your archetypal film noir story. The result is an interesting, if ultimately kind of droll, exploration from a filmmaking known for defying all convention and expectations like it's his job.

The film stars Eddie Constantine in the daunting lead role of Lemmy Caution, a…

• Vicky Griva

★★½ Watched by Vicky Griva 10 Jul, 2014

I am mostly impressed by this film's amazingly hostile atmosphere and how actions and consequences have no connection with each other in this Godard universe.
    But I have to tell you, I didn't get into the story, I found it a bit boring and yes I didn't like it.

• Thomas Pollock

★★★½ Watched by Thomas Pollock 09 Jul, 2014

Exploring Europe Film 8

Again, I am still not swept away with the renown Jean-Luc Godard, but I must say his style is unique, unconventional and different. In Alphaville we see a Sci-Fi film being made without the use of expensive sets, flying cars and fancy skyscrapers like we see in films form Metropolis to Blade Runner. The cock-eyed detective who comes to Alphaville discovers just how hellish it is.

Alphaville is a place where the human imagination is suppressed…

• Ferrandis

Added by Ferrandis

Me sorprende bastante que Godard rodase una cinta de ciencia-ficción que recuerda a "1984" o a "Un mundo feliz". Sin embargo, la sorpresa inicial se transforma en decepción tras comprobar el hecho innegable de que estamos ante una obra menor del director francés que lastra una buena idea.

Alphaville es una ciudad futurista donde no existe el amor, ni el llanto. Los habitantes son comandados por una máquina llamada Alpha 60 de forma que su comportamiento siempre sea lógico y…

• Antonio Guzman

★★★★½ Watched by Antonio Guzman 25 Jun, 2014

"Alphaville" seems extremely prescient in its anticipation of a time when an illiterate population will be in full dependence of technology, when art and poetry will be abandoned in classrooms in exchange for only science and logic. Godard's quasi-adaptation of 1984, I think could stand at the level of "Brazil," "Dark City," and "Blade Runner" as one of the definitive dystopian masterpieces, though I would have to let it sit for a while and revisit it. Godard's exploration of language…

• Ben

★★★★ Watched by Ben 17 Jun, 2014

Ah finally! Finally Godard's cool aloofness is put to good use. Possibly my favourite of his. He's has been a bit hit and miss so far but this is the type of picture I feel he should primarily be dealing in. Slick pulp noir that is so confidently cool that you don't even realize how low the budget is. And Anna Karina has never been more stunning.

• SJHoneywell

★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

I'd love to love it.
    I don't. I just respect it.
    Not the best Godard.

• christopherobin

Watched by christopherobin 08 Jun, 2014

Στην Άλφαβιλ οι άνθρωποι δεν έχουν ζήσει στο παρελθόν και δεν θα ζήσουν (σ)το μέλλον.
    Γκοντάρ, τρέλανέ μας.

• Daniel Lentini

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Lentini 07 Jun, 2014

Man versus the system sums up this absolutely surreal dystopian film noir. Not only is this movie perfectly filmed for visual pleasure but like all of the French New Wave allows the viewer to interpret the movie in a seemingly infinite number of combinations without adding pressure to do so.