• Lee Towler

★★½ Watched by Lee Towler 15 Dec, 2014

Godard knows what he loves. He loves beautiful women, he loves style, cool and technique, he loves tragedy through nihilism, crime and romance are his genre-pool for his revolutionary technique to shine. He does not love science fiction. It shows. A lot.

Going through the usual positives that Godard always gets right. His style; personally I think it may not be at its finest here. The problem for me here sits in that it's a science fiction film, and one…

• Vonne Patiag

★★★★ Watched by Vonne Patiag 10 Dec, 2014

The whole movie plays like a surreal film noir, the clashing of styles pushed further by the classically 'American' film noir detective diving deep into an Orwellian sci-fi dystopia.

At times it's hard to navigate the film, but you just have to remember it's a Godard, whose visual style steers the film into surrealist roots. Loved the reference to Orpheus at the end as well.

• jellicott

★★★½ Watched by jellicott 10 Dec, 2014 1

Godard is the master of sound.

• Conor Bateman

★★ Watched by Conor Bateman 10 Dec, 2014 2

A near-parodic (important distinction - it's not particularly amusing) "existential detective" story set on another planet sees Godard borrow sci-fi concepts from '50s serials but leave the joy, creativity and excitement on the page.

In plodding along its dull narrative we're interrupted by pretension-fuelled injections of dime-store philisophical quandries and literary musings, some idiotic metatexual references and an scene involving the explanation/importance of "love" that rivals Interstellar's.

I've only seen a handful of Godard's films but this is the first…

• b rad

★★★ Rewatched by b rad 10 Dec, 2014 1

Hated it when I first saw it, liked parts of it on a rewatch. But this is a film I like the idea of more than I like the film itself - the aesthetic (look at that poster! That looks like a great movie!) and satire and concept should all work better than it does.

• ander

★★★★½ Watched by ander 06 Dec, 2014

Paradox and the indefinite can be terrifying. Pure logic is always scarier, and always ultimately chaotic—imposing order is the most volatile, paradoxical action of them all. Growth as people and as a society comes not from refining words and symbols and representations down in the interest of efficiency, but in living. Experiencing light and dark and love and hate. The words will come on their own. "Je...vous...aime."

• m8ben

★★½ Watched by m8ben 23 Nov, 2014

did not resonate, Anna Karina always beautiful, needs more screen time

• Dick

★★ Watched by Dick 22 Nov, 2014

• Nicolas Courdouan

Watched by Nicolas Courdouan 19 Nov, 2014 3

I don't get Godard. Never have and, I fear, never will. His highly stylized deconstruction of whatever hides behind the name 'movie' always seems flat, gratuitous, falsely provocative.

Despite falling into the existentialist science-fiction genre, quite possibly my all-time favourite, Alphaville was even more painful to watch than Breathless, which I appreciate for its value as a cornerstone in modern filmmaking but find tedious and dull as an experience.

I only require one thing of a movie: That it be…

• Steen

★★½ Watched by Steen 19 Nov, 2014

Set in a dystopian future in the city of Alphaville controlled by the mega computer Alpha-60, this mix of a film noir and a sci-fi movie couldn't be weirder or more French if it wanted to. That is not in itself a critique - I don't mind weird French films, but I was quite disappointed by the film. I liked the cinematography, but that's about it. The score is too repetitive and the voice of Alpha-60 is extremely annoying, and all the way through the movie I was quite disinterested in the story and it's characters.

• QED

★★★★★ Watched by QED 16 Nov, 2014

Written and directed by Jean-Luc Godard this film stars Eddie Constantine, Anna Karina, Akim Tamiroff and Howard Vernon. In the future a secret agent travels to a dystopian city run by a computer.

This film is a mix of film noir, science fiction and Godard's own brand of experimental film making which produces some pretty unique results! The plot explores the conflict between emotion (predominately through love and poetry) and logic in human nature which it does fairly decently. Obviously…

• Timothy85

★★★ Watched by Timothy85 12 Nov, 2014

Probably not the best film to watch while sick, but it probably would have made about as much sense if I watched it in a normal state of mind. An enjoyable Godard, as his melding of pulp noir cliches and sci-fi comes off better than you'd expect, and, of course, Anna Karina is just as inscrutably wonderful as always. The black and white works very well with the setting, and the approach shows you don't need a large budget to…