• Ian Smith

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian Smith 17 Nov, 2014

Watched this for the first time 20 years ago and loved it just as much this time around - Hal Hartleys finest work and that's saying something!

• Shayne Bowden

★★★ Watched by Shayne Bowden 07 Sep, 2014

I enjoy Hartley's early films but it takes a gap of 20 years or so from the first viewing to appreciate them. I noticed that Hartley's characters act as vessels or dispensers for dialogue. It flows from them in a minimal way that doesn't necessitate physical over exaggeration...... Maybe like Pinter or Mamet's early films.

• Brent Paton

★★★ Added by Brent Paton

My favorite Hal Hartley film. Humorous and offbeat. Nice photography by Michael Spiller. Elina Löwensohn looks amazing.

• bulletproofQpid

★★★★ Watched by bulletproofQpid 31 Jul, 2014 2

Nobody does that hypnotically sexy kind of weird quite like Isabelle Huppert.

• Lyzette

★★★ Watched by Lyzette 21 Jul, 2014

Hal Hartley has become one of the most fascinating cinematic auteurs I've come across, and certainly one with quite an interesting sense of humor. The recycling of actors across his repertoire work well with his absolutely strange deadpan humor that, in almost every case, I've loved. Amateur, unfortunately, has proved to be more like a "paint by numbers" Hartley work than anything exceptional or fleshed-out. Isabelle Huppert and Martin Donovan give absolutely fine performances, but with the added drawback that…

• Matt Thomas

★★★★½ Watched by Matt Thomas 26 Apr, 2014

A marvellous script. Martin Donovan is so under-rated. As, nowadays sadly, is Hal Hartley too.

• Doug Dillaman

★★★ Rewatched by Doug Dillaman 06 Apr, 2014 2

First viewing in 19 years (pretty sure this played Houston summer of '95), and geez. Hal Hartley is pretty much the reason I'm here, doing this with my spare time*, and that combined with the fact that the soundtrack features about a half-dozen songs I've thrashed a couple hundred times each made watching this again not unlike Proust curling up to read his own copy of REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST with a plateful of madelines, which is to say that…

• Chris Purdie

★★★½ Added by Chris Purdie

Who doesn't like a good Hal Hartley movie?
    People with no taste, that's who.
    That's not to say the man hasn't made a few stinkers later in his career, but his early works are among the most purely enjoyable films I've ever seen.
    Amateur fits in around the middle of his filmography and marked a clear transition into more mainstream filmmaking. Is it a masterpiece like his earlier work, or is is a confused experiment like his more demanding work…

• Maksi

★★½ Watched by Maksi 20 Dec, 2013

Stylisé et rigoureux. Rapport à l'espace très abstrait. Commence comme un méta-film. Une étude de personnage fictionnel qui naît avec le film et disparaît avec lui.

• Thomas Ringdal

★★★½ Watched by Thomas Ringdal 25 Sep, 2013

Hal Hartley's recycling of recurring actors makes them appear similar to a theater troupe. Add in the way Hartley prefers lines of dialogue to be delivered and that imagery is strengthened. And I do mean this as a compliment.
    It is nigh on impossible for me to hate a film that starts off introducing us to Isabelle Huppert as an ex-nun and theoretical nymphomaniac (she's still a virgin because she's choosy) who spends her time nipping to her coffee in…

• craigduster

★★★★ Added by craigduster

Without a doubt, the quintessential Hal Hartley film. Deliberate, hypnotic and intoxicating, this movie still haunts me.

• bbbgtoby

★★½ Watched by bbbgtoby 16 Feb, 2013

I like the idea of this movie more than I like the actual movie. A concept straight out of blockbuster fiction turned in to a Hal Hartley movie. It could and should have been more enjoyable, it certainly seemed to lack the charm of his earlier work. Underwhelming.