• dillamonster

★★★ Rewatched by dillamonster 06 Apr, 2014 2

First viewing in 19 years (pretty sure this played Houston summer of '95), and geez. Hal Hartley is pretty much the reason I'm here, doing this with my spare time*, and that combined with the fact that the soundtrack features about a half-dozen songs I've thrashed a couple hundred times each made watching this again not unlike Proust curling up to read his own copy of REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST with a plateful of madelines, which is to say that…

• Chris Purdie

★★★½ Added by Chris Purdie

Who doesn't like a good Hal Hartley movie?
    People with no taste, that's who.
    That's not to say the man hasn't made a few stinkers later in his career, but his early works are among the most purely enjoyable films I've ever seen.
    Amateur fits in around the middle of his filmography and marked a clear transition into more mainstream filmmaking. Is it a masterpiece like his earlier work, or is is a confused experiment like his more demanding work…

• Maksi

★★½ Watched by Maksi 20 Dec, 2013

Stylisé et rigoureux. Rapport à l'espace très abstrait. Commence comme un méta-film. Une étude de personnage fictionnel qui naît avec le film et disparaît avec lui.

• Thomas Ringdal

★★★½ Watched by Thomas Ringdal 25 Sep, 2013

Hal Hartley's recycling of recurring actors makes them appear similar to a theater troupe. Add in the way Hartley prefers lines of dialogue to be delivered and that imagery is strengthened. And I do mean this as a compliment.
    It is nigh on impossible for me to hate a film that starts off introducing us to Isabelle Huppert as an ex-nun and theoretical nymphomaniac (she's still a virgin because she's choosy) who spends her time nipping to her coffee in…

• craigduster

★★★★ Added by craigduster

Without a doubt, the quintessential Hal Hartley film. Deliberate, hypnotic and intoxicating, this movie still haunts me.

• bbbgtoby

★★½ Watched by bbbgtoby 16 Feb, 2013

I like the idea of this movie more than I like the actual movie. A concept straight out of blockbuster fiction turned in to a Hal Hartley movie. It could and should have been more enjoyable, it certainly seemed to lack the charm of his earlier work. Underwhelming.

• foblis

★★★★★ Added by foblis

I love the style of Hal Hartley's films. The characters have a distinctive point of view. This film made me laugh and left me with a feeling of wonder. It has a great story and is beautifully filmed.

• ZapperLife

★½ Watched by ZapperLife 12 Oct, 2012

All bark, no bite...

My third Hal Hartley experience was nothing short of disappointing. Where The Unbelievable Truth was sincere, sweet and the right amount of weird, and Trust was just simply incredible in every way, this one is left with only the Hartley-style and the occasional times the humor hits the soft spot.

• kevinsheets

★★★½ Watched by kevinsheets 19 Feb, 2011

One of my least favorite of Hartley's films. It retains his sense of rhythm and his visual style, but the story is just a bit underwhelming.

• Florian Schroiff

★★★½ Watched by Florian Schroiff 06 Nov, 2011

Stagy acting, interesting cast, weird dialogues, absurd humor at times. Great depiction of early nineties tech (clunky mobiles & laptops). Nice alt-rock soundtrack.