• Cappie

★★½ Watched by Cappie 06 Nov, 2015 2

Whilst I can't say I enjoyed Anything Else all that much, I was highly impressed with Jason Biggs, who manages to deliver typical Woody Allen better than most actors have been able too. Biggs is by far the best part of this otherwise pedestrian, shallow and overlong Allen comedy. There are some great laugh-out-loud moments in the form of the unexpected dirty jokes and a lot of clever visual gags, but this simply lacks any kind depth or variance from Allen's usual schtick to make it worthwhile. For completists only.

• Amy Holmes

★★★½ Watched by Amy Holmes 23 Oct, 2015

Pretty good for recent Woody Allen. I love how rough it is--there are many moments where you can tell the actors are getting their lines wrong, they step on each others' dialogue, some of the shots aren't set up that well. But I love his lack of perfectionism, and it really works with the loose feel of this movie.

I especially love the character Woody plays, it's like he just let himself fully express every dark neurotic urge he's ever had. It's a sort of psychotic version of his usual character, a really refreshing change.

• Oscar

★★½ Watched by Oscar 25 Sep, 2015

El Woody Allen más descafeinados es el que escribe y dirige esta película, que termina resultando en toda una mezcla de elementos de otras de sus películas, por lo que ni emociona, ni mucho menos entretiene, a pesar de su corta duración me costó mucho terminarla, la historia no nos presenta situaciones nuevas, y aunque los diálogos tiene sus momentos de genialidad pura no son lo suficientemente fuerte para cargar con el desordenado ritmo de la película. Además no entiendo…

• LuNFurter

★★½ Watched by LuNFurter 02 Sep, 2015

"What you don't know, won't hurt you, it'll kill you. Like if they tell you you're going to shower but they turn out not to be showers. "

I think this is the worst Woody Allen film I've watched so far. Still, Allen's and Danny DeVito's characters made me smile a couple times.

• Cameron Wayne Johnson

★★½ Watched by Cameron Wayne Johnson 04 Aug, 2015

Man, this is a rom-com with Jason Biggs and Christina Ricci that ostensibly finds Woody Allen flirting with more commercial romantic comedy formulas, which makes me nervous, because as good of a writer as he is, I don't know if he can pull off this style quite as well as, say, Cameron Crowe. Yeah, considering that this is a rom-com about young love, I'm thinking that the title is incomplete and supposed to be "Say Anything Else", although it might…

• Jacob Moran

★★ Watched by Jacob Moran 30 Jul, 2015

Contains some of Woody Allen's funniest one-liners, but the film has too little to say.

• Jeremy Heilman

★★★½ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 21 Jul, 2015

While not quite one of Woody Allen’s very best films, the terminally underrated Anything Else is clearly one of his best-directed efforts. At the very least, it marks a significant turning point in Allen’s body of work. For one, it is an early demonstration of his recent predilection toward elaborately choreographed long takes. Secondly, the film’s ending, in which two hours of impotent rage and separation anxiety culminates in a decision to abandon New York City, presages the journeyman phase…

• mrmaguda

½ Added by mrmaguda

This is the only Woody Allen film I've ever seen. I was forced to see it at the insistence of my editor at my college newspaper. It's genuinely regarded as his worst movie which is probably why I never got around to watching another one. What follows is my review from my college newspaper. My editor deserves credit for the headline: "Almost 'Anything Else' But This"
    The new romantic comedy, Anything Else, signifies an attempt by 67 year old…

• PhilParma

★★★ Added by PhilParma

Woody Allen is a joke writer. In this movie he plays a character who is a joke writer. Which I'm all for, because no one can deliver a Woody Allen joke as well as Woody Allen: "Crazy? She IS crazy. The Pentagon should use her hormones for chemical warfare!"

• seasondays

★★½ Watched by seasondays 12 Jul, 2015

such an uneven film, every single thing works at times and does not even come close to working at others; nothing wrong with unlikeable characters but BIGGS & RICCI did not have the skills to deliver the performances to make things work.

• the_narrator

★★★½ Rewatched by the_narrator 13 Jul, 2015 7

I still have yet to watch All the President's Men or Apocalypse Now. I have now watched Anything Else two times.

• Tiago Massoni

★★★½ Watched by Tiago Massoni 05 Jul, 2015

Great in a strange and simple way.