• Elliot Fane

★★★★ Watched by Elliot Fane 28 Jul, 2015

Ron Fricke's 2012 journey across the world with 'Samsara' is probably my all-time favourite documentary with some of the best cinematography ever put to screen, so I was so excited to see his earlier trip around the globe with 'Baraka', which I really enjoyed!

The cinematography is amazing, with some visuals being unbelievably beautiful when paired with the well orchestrated score. I think it needed some more hard hitting imagery, or shots that just blow the audience away (as he…

• pirs

★★★★ Watched by pirs 24 Jul, 2015

It's interesting how much a movie can say and imply without a script or words.

Baraka shows footage of life itself. The human experience. Not social interactions, but how we interact with nature and the laws we build ourselves. It was shot on over 24 countries, mostly on Asia and Africa. The second act has some of the most interesting juxtapositions I've seen. Think Chaplin's Modern Times.

There's an eastern dance or religious ritual and, as westerns, it seems so…

• Barxday

★★★½ Watched by Barxday 22 Jul, 2015

Although not as magical, due to not having Philip Glass as the composer, and not as coherent as Koyaanisqatsi, Baraka has astounding beautiful and mesmerizing imagery.

71/100

• Jack Keane

★★★★★ Watched by Jack Keane 13 Jul, 2015

From IMDb:
    '"Baraka" is an ancient Sufi word, which can be translated as "a blessing, or the breath, or the essence of life from which the evolutionary process unfolds."'

***

This is what cinema was made for.

This is what epic film-making should aspire to be.

This is a perfect example of a perfect marriage between moving image and musical score.

This is a film that you sink into...a film that washes over you, like clouds roving over mountains...a film…

• Daniel Webb

★★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Webb 12 Jul, 2015

Saying goodbye to my film collection, part 4.

• Sebastian Borrazas

★★★★ Watched by Sebastian Borrazas 29 Jun, 2015

Interesting and immersive experience to discover the world. Very well done. Both entertaining and inspiring. Recommended.

• Ruth

★★★★★ Watched by Ruth 14 Jun, 2015 9

Baraka shares a lot of the same issues which the later Samsara has, much of which I discussed at length here. The difference is that Baraka is stunning enough to get away with it and wash all those concerns away. The trance is more iron clad, more propulsive and more coherent, therefore not surrendering as easily to any wandering eye and pick incision (excepting some overbearing musical moments) . My favourite first viewing from 2015 to date.

• Dangermoose

★★★★ Watched by Dangermoose 07 Jun, 2015

It certainly is beautiful watching in HD. Music was a bit over the top in parts. I think it would have been better cut down to about an hour. It got a bit much after a while.

I was hard to believe they made this in 92! Until you got to the modern city scenes. This would feel more like a timeless classic if they left that part out of it. Especially the chickens!

• Dreception

★★★ Watched by Dreception 30 May, 2015

Good poetry documentary.... But I have seen better from Ron Fricke. Not bad, but shouldn't be your first watch from him. I couldn't see what everyone else saw in this one.

• luukdeman111

★★★★ Watched by luukdeman111 01 Jun, 2015

Holy cinematography! Stunning!

• Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski

★★★★½ Watched by Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski 25 May, 2015

The combination of sound and images has warranted a wide variety of films with a lasting impact, but Ron Fricke's Baraka merits a unique one because of how much it shows and how little it actually says. Shot over the course of twenty-four countries on six continents in only a fourteen month period, Fricke captures some of the most immaculate images of the Earth, showing it, its people, and its natural beauty all in one richly photographed film. At only…

• Heather Cain