• Derek Diercksmeier

Watched by Derek Diercksmeier 05 Feb, 2016 2

Wordless, vast and repetitive.

Sometimes amazingly beautiful and sometimes utterly depressing. There's some genuine beauty here, but it also made me incredibly sad and began to wear me down.

• Joshua Huffman

★★★★ Watched by Joshua Huffman 30 Jan, 2016

I wish I had a bigger screen to watch this on.

• Max Schwarz

★★★★ Watched by Max Schwarz 24 Jan, 2016

Another beautiful and haunting look at life, culture, and humanity from Ron Fricke. Great editing through juxtaposition. Awesome use of sound and manipulation of loudness and quiet. Stunning cinematography and portraits of the soul.

• Julieta Madeleine García Zamora

★★★★★ Watched by Julieta Madeleine García Zamora 24 Jan, 2016

Baraka is the "beneficent force, of divine origin, which causes superabundance in the physical sphere and prosperity and happiness in the psychic order" (Colin 2012). This documentary is about the evolution of humankind through images. Using a contemporary ellipsis, cinematographer Ron Fricke evocated with the first sequence the tribe of man-apes in Kubrick's film "2001: A Space Odyssey" linking human evolution with technological development but also understanding the necessity of beliefs and faith.

Film captures spectator using concept construction; while…

• Dustin

★★★★★ Watched by Dustin 27 Jan, 2016

A breathtaking and admirably ambitious companion piece to Koyaanisqatsi; even if the motivation is not as focused and, I suspect, rooted mostly in the visuals. It may not be as hypnotically cathartic, but! Sometimes, and I don't say this lightly, as the term can be so radically subjective, but sometimes, sheer beauty is truly enough.

• Owen Greenwell

★★★½ Watched by Owen Greenwell 15 Aug, 2010

Fantastic cinematography and framing, didn’t pickup any overall "vibe", editing and music could manipulate the meaning of the images anyway you like.

• Andy Mrkva

★★★★ Watched by Andy Mrkva 09 Jan, 2016

Film #2 of the Scavenger Hunt Challenge

Task #36: Movie shot entirely without Panavision (non-traditional film mediums): Was shot in 70mm with Mitchell AP-65, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Pentax and Schneider Lenses

Film #3 of the Mrkvansturm Movie Mayhem Challenge – 2016

A sort of photographic journey. A feast for the eyeballs without narration; though you can see certain ideas the director is pushing. Even so, the viewer comes up with their own take from watching it. It's thought provoking and you…

• Stephen Williamson

★★★★½ Added by Stephen Williamson

Viewed in its 8K scan and in 70mm at Seattle's Cinerama Theatre.

• Francisco Rojas

★★★★ Watched by Francisco Rojas 10 Jan, 2016

The cinematography is even better than in Koyaanisqatsi, but as a whole, the film is simply not as good. Fricke recycles a lot of elements from Koyaanisqatsi, maybe because this was the chance to film the same sequences in 70mm or because Fricke is claiming autorship of those techniques, I think it's a little bit of both. Besides, the spiritual thematic this film has wasn't that appealing to me compared to Koyaanisqatsi which was much more intellectual, and not as obvious.

Still, a very good film.

• Erik

★★★★ Added by Erik

One word: Stunning

• Fredrik Fyhr

★★★★ Watched by Fredrik Fyhr 01 Jan, 2016

Essentially, I think BARAKA is a film that wishes to explore the limits of human language. Shot on 70 mm film in 24 countries, depicting various religious rites and milieus, historical places and urban cityscapes, it's most striking moments tend to be "simple" shots of nature and portrait-shots with people (or animals) just looking at us. There is a need for religion and I believe faith is the key intellectual concept of the human race - science is simply not…

• Jake