• NinjaDomoEsq

★★★★ Watched by NinjaDomoEsq 30 Apr, 2016

Good, but I believe I watched the director's sequel which I preferred. Still, this is a beautiful film. The team behind these films creates true works of art.

• Dirk van Eck

★★★ Watched by Dirk van Eck 28 Apr, 2016

A classic anthropologist’s wet dream caught on tape, in very high definition. Baraka is just over ninety minutes of stunning photography, capturing Earth’s extremes in terms of nature, but more prominently in terms of cultural diversity. For a movie disembarking from that premise, it is a bit awkward to see North America relatively underrepresented and Europe basically absent (I think I counted one short shot in a French cathedral, but that is about it). Director-writer-editor-cinematographer Ron Fricke is clearly more…

• Nathan West

★★★★ Watched by Nathan West 24 Apr, 2016

70mm screening at The Hollywood Theatre in Portland, OR.

Non-narrative documentary piecing together images of nature, man, religion, ritual, life, destruction, et al. More of an experience than anything else, I particularly loved the time lapse photography moments, that image of the birds flying over water, and the dudes chanting and waving their arms about in front of that stone monument. I didn't think the film would take such a turn into bummerland (trigger warning: holocaust imagery and a visit to a baby chick processing plant), which put a damper of things, but I guess it balances out all the beauty. Such is existence.

• Michael

★★★½ Watched by Michael 24 Apr, 2016

A gorgeous collage of images of Earth and earthlings. I think it would be better without such a blatantly emotionally manipulative score; allowing people their own responses instead of directing - even pushing - them to the "right" feelings.

• Erik Skybak

★★★★★ Watched by Erik Skybak 24 Apr, 2016

Seen on 70mm at the Hollywood Theater in Portland, OR.

Simply depicts the connection between all aspects of nature; this includes not only human beings, but things made by human beings. Baraka does this by removing all context from every image, removing all delineation imposed by time or space. All is one, an ever-changing world, in constant motion. It's a beautiful, breath-taking experience. However, Baraka also delves into nature's destructive power and indifference, and by extension, Man's indifference. There are…

• nicksav

★★★★★ Added by nicksav

Mesmerising, astonishing and other superlatives one can think of. A glorious visual poem with some of the most stunning cinematography I've ever seen. Only regret is that I didn't first see it on the big screen. Cinema in it purest essence.

• Lewis Skelly

★★★★ Watched by Lewis Skelly 25 Apr, 2016

Completely mind blowing.

• Sean Whiteman

Watched by Sean Whiteman 24 Apr, 2016

70mm at Hollywood. Front row with Shannon. Cider sips, yogurt covered fruit snacks and weed gummy.

• naughty budgie

Watched by naughty budgie 24 Apr, 2016

gaga front row with sean at the hollywood 7000mm

• Joshua Correll

★★★★★ Watched by Joshua Correll 22 Apr, 2016

Watched high in 70mm, need I say more.

• Frankie Flatch

★★★★★ Rewatched by Frankie Flatch 24 Apr, 2016

Just had the pleasure of seeing this screened in 70mm at the Hollywood Theatre here in Portland, OR.

Just incredible.

• Dan Molloy

★★★★★ Watched by Dan Molloy 24 Apr, 2016

Almost as if the planet is presenting itself: "Here I am, here are my inhabitants, here is this strange species that's molded me for its purposes. Here is what they do to one another, here is what they do for themselves. Here is how they affect me. They call it life."