• Sebastian Borrazas

★★★★ Watched by Sebastian Borrazas 29 Jun, 2015

Interesting and immersive experience to discover the world. Very well done. Both entertaining and inspiring. Recommended.

• Ruth

★★★★★ Watched by Ruth 14 Jun, 2015 9

Baraka shares a lot of the same issues which the later Samsara has, much of which I discussed at length here. The difference is that Baraka is stunning enough to get away with it and wash all those concerns away. The trance is more iron clad, more propulsive and more coherent, therefore not surrendering as easily to any wandering eye and pick incision (excepting some overbearing musical moments) . My favourite first viewing from 2015 to date.

• Dangermoose

★★★★ Watched by Dangermoose 07 Jun, 2015

It certainly is beautiful watching in HD. Music was a bit over the top in parts. I think it would have been better cut down to about an hour. It got a bit much after a while.

I was hard to believe they made this in 92! Until you got to the modern city scenes. This would feel more like a timeless classic if they left that part out of it. Especially the chickens!

• Dreception

★★★ Watched by Dreception 30 May, 2015

Good poetry documentary.... But I have seen better from Ron Fricke. Not bad, but shouldn't be your first watch from him. I couldn't see what everyone else saw in this one.

• luukdeman111

★★★★ Watched by luukdeman111 01 Jun, 2015

Holy cinematography! Stunning!

• Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski

★★★★½ Watched by Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski 25 May, 2015

The combination of sound and images has warranted a wide variety of films with a lasting impact, but Ron Fricke's Baraka merits a unique one because of how much it shows and how little it actually says. Shot over the course of twenty-four countries on six continents in only a fourteen month period, Fricke captures some of the most immaculate images of the Earth, showing it, its people, and its natural beauty all in one richly photographed film. At only…

• Heather Cain

★★★★ Watched by Malcolm 26 Apr, 2015

Enormously, depressingly beautiful.

• Cedric B

★★★★★ Added by Cedric B

This is literally a moving picture. Every shot could be a cover for National Geographic, but the easing movement in them give them life and substance. Each shot is so prolific and magnificent, that I get a little tingling in my chest or stomach area when I know the cut is coming. And then when the cut arrives and a new wave of miraculous or melancholic beauty splashes over me, I feel myself bearing its blessed vision as a meditative,…

• Cedric B

★★★★★ Watched by Cedric B 25 Mar, 2015

Like the impossible miracle of life, nature, belief, and thought, Baraka transcends and exceeds the grasp of words for explanation or analysis. That is why I have no words, only stirred spirituality and emotion.

• Hamus

Watched by Hamus 20 Mar, 2015

There's no way in hell this can compare to Koyaanisqatsi.

What Baraka attempted to do was film whatever looked the most foreign to Westerners and threw them into a stirring pot without any central purpose. What you get is the sloppy mess they feed to pigs. Individually, you can get a few "Oooh"s and "Aaah"s out of the shots but there's nothing to hold them together as a film.

Koyaanisqatsi took the things we were familiar with and, in a…