• Sozaka

★★★★★ Added by Sozaka

This is not a film that you can review traditionally. It is simply an experience. It's effectiveness as an experience hinges on it's ability to envelop you in it's sound and imagery much like a leaf carried away by the river. Baraka sweeps you through twists, turns, and peaceful calms, like it is the Amazon itself. It shows you sights you never thought you would see, sounds you never thought you would hear, and worlds within worlds you didn't know existed. It's greatest feat however, it shows you a new way to look at yourself the next time you gaze in the mirror.

• Tejas D

★★★½ Watched by Tejas D 28 Aug, 2014

It's more like a documentary than a movie. It has no cast, no dialogue, just set of images edited with a background score pertinent to every image. The best part though is that each movie frame is pure gold, it's a work of art. You can pause at any moment in the movie, take a print out of that shot and you get a beautiful pic, almost like a portrait. The director who is also a revolutionary cinematographer has used…

• Lance Harpur

★★★½ Added by Lance Harpur

Human

• The_Rock

★★★★½ Watched by The_Rock 10 Aug, 2014

Koyaanisqatsi is the most obvious precedent for this, given the films’ similar styles and Fricke’s work on both, and I think this is marginally inferior. I feel that the other film is more tightly assembled and less heavy handed – there were times when I though Baraka was trying to force a thesis of “modern = bad” without doing the structural legwork to carry that conclusion through. And I also think the music here, a somewhat clichéd (but effective) choice…

• Andy

★★★★ Watched by Andy 02 Aug, 2014

The stunning views of the earth make me glad I have an HDTV. The juxtaposition of human conquest with said views make me more than a little disappointed in our species thus far. We have so much potential!

• Patrick Goff

★★★★½ Added by Patrick Goff

Mind. Blown. Think this one will be a rite of passage to watch with my boys as they each turn 8 or so. My oldest (6) sat through some of it with me tonight but was a bit too young yet. This is the story of all of us. Gorgeous on Blu-Ray too.

• Ben

★★★★½ Watched by Ben 27 Jul, 2014

The other day I read a particularly glowing review of Linklater's Boyhood in which the reviewer said it was 'one of the fullest encapsulations of life ever committed to film'. Obviously, this was the opinion of a Caucasian male American.
    Ron Fricke's Baraka sweeps across millions of miles to ever nook and cranny of our planet earth to sniffle out the life we arent always aware of. It is positively bursting with life in all its forms. So in a…

• Joachim Andersson

★★★★ Added by Joachim Andersson 5

I'm not so sure I "got" the message, it's not as clear as Koyaanisqatsi but it still is one hell of a movie that looks gorgeous on blu.

• Joaquín Chávez

★★★★★ Watched by tavomama 08 May, 2014

perfect

• Nadav Pais-Greenapple

★★★★½ Watched by Nadav Pais-Greenapple 16 Feb, 2011

This film is a religious experience.