• NLevey

★★★★ Added by NLevey

I watched this a few years back and am just writing this to remind myself to watch it again.

• Jeffrey Chen

★★★½ Watched by Jeffrey Chen 15 Sep, 2016

This is the debut feature from Bong Joon-ho, and as such it contains much filmmaking merit. It's instantly recognizable how creative the script is, and how uniquely he views his sad sack characters, the kinds of which would populate his future movies -- stuck in life ruts, going nowhere, dealing with their miseries by drinking or indulging in some other meaningless activities. It's just too bad, then, that this movie specifically deals with the old Korean practice of dog eating,…

• Jeremy Heilman

★★★½ Added by Jeremy Heilman

A hilarious, consistently inventive comedy marred only by its final twenty minutes (emotional resonance? No thanks!). Korean people obviously have different standards about what’s acceptable in a film (there’s sure a lot of vomiting in the country’s recent cinema), so I wonder how much of this stuff is shocking and how much of my reaction is culture shock. In any case, it’s a highly recommended work from a talent who’s clearly worth watching.

67/100

• mentatgibraltar

★★★★★ Added by mentatgibraltar

Amaze my face

• iluvOP

★★★½ Added by iluvOP

Pretty darn good.
    I has a cast of mostly unlikeable characters, but somehow this movie plays them well enough so that you sort of like them at the same time.

It has a pretty silly story going on, but what I really like in this movie is how "realistic" many of the characters are. People talk very calmly and there are many scenes where people stay quiet.
    It has a very comfortable vibe to it throughout despite it being sort…

• John Lees

★★★½ Watched by John Lees 20 May, 2016

BARKING DOGS NEVER BITE was the first film by writer/director Bong Joon-Ho, and it was the last of his films that I saw, finally getting to it tonight. Every other one of his films has been excellent, so I hoped for great things with this. I'd say it doesn't quite hit the greatness of his other films, Bong Joon-Ho a little less refined here in his debut feature.

There is certainly ample display of craft here in the filmmaking, showing…

• Matthew Liddle

★★★ Watched by Matthew Liddle 04 Apr, 2016

Bong Joon Ho's first film reveals a lot about his progression as a filmmaker and his use of style, profile shots, ensemble staging, & kicking the wing mirrors off of cars.

• Kane Le-Petit

★★★★ Rewatched by Kane Le-Petit 03 Feb, 2016

Bong Joon-Ho's first feature length film is a very darkly hilarious character driven black comedy with some fantastic chase sequences , shot composition (as usual with Joon-Ho) and a uniqueness that only Bong Joon Ho seems to have with his films. Fantastic .

• Abhilash

★★★★★ Added by Abhilash

Great film. It's Bong Joon-Ho's (Memories of Murder, The Host) first gig as director. The guy has a real talent for calm suspense. Pretty funny too.

• Brooke Willis

★★★★★ Added by Brooke Willis

I love it! The characters' grandeur fantasies of adoration and fame are so adorable and super relatable.

• brennsto

★★★★ Watched by brennsto 29 Dec, 2015

part 1 of the 'bong hits' series.

• Andy Nelson

★★★½ Watched by Andy Nelson 23 Dec, 2015

I never could tell where this film was going, and I loved that. Unfortunately, the ending was far too ambiguous for me so the strong momentum the film had built up to that point ended up falling flat. I still liked it, but it's nowhere near as strong as some of director Bong Joon-ho's later films.