• Jaime Rebanal

★★★★ Watched by Jaime Rebanal 24 Jul, 2015

I do happen to be an animal lover. So coming into Barking Dogs Never Bite I was skeptical. However when I came out I was laughing my head off. Bong Joon-ho's debut shows off a rather dark sense of humour as well as promise ahead of time for a rather talented new filmmaker. He's never afraid with where the humour will reach out, and he does manage to pull off some great work from the leads Lee Sung-jae and Bae…

• Justin Jagoe

★★★½ Watched by Justin Jagoe 23 Jul, 2015

If it's not quite my favorite movie from Bong, it's still a stunningly assured feature debut. It's as odd and funny and quasi-surreal in the exact same way Bong's become known for, despite taking place in a very real world.

I love how evocative this movie is of its leads' aspirations and disappointments, and how much weight it lends to those feelings despite their modesty. Everything in Barking Dogs seems a little bent, a little off. Still, it all manages to feel disconcertingly real.

• Armando Maggi

★★★½ Watched by Armando Maggi 22 Jul, 2015

The debut film of South-Korean original filmmaker Bong Joon-ho presents some of the themes that he will develop in his later, more satisfying movies The Host and A Mother: an emphasis on the daily life of regular people and the sudden, at times seemingly minor, events that disrupt and even shatter a person's existence, in this case the loss of a dog.

The dark humor present in The Host already appears in this early film. Dogs are murdered, eaten, among…

• samarthbhaskar

★★½ Watched by samarthbhaskar 21 Jul, 2015

Early Bong Joon Ho. His directorial abilities are on display already, but the screenwriting has gotten better since.

• Kane Le-Petit

★★★★ Added by Kane Le-Petit

Bong Joon-Ho's first feature length film is a very darkly hilarious character driven black comedy with some fantastic chase sequences , shot composition (as usual with Joon-Ho) and a uniqueness that only Bong Joon Ho seems to have with his films. Fantastic .

• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 04 Apr, 2015

A truly offbeat yet thrilling film from Bong Joon-Ho about a man who tortures and abuses dogs and a woman trying to find out who is doing it.

• Erik Swallow

★★★ Watched by Erik Swallow 27 Mar, 2015

A man is having a tough time in his life, and the neighbor's constantly-barking dog is driving him crazy, so he decides to take action., except it turns out to be the wrong dog! Meanwhile, a woman who works in the apartment complex sees the flyer about a missing dog and decides to take action. "Barking Dogs Never Bite" is a clever and fiendish dark comedy from Bong Joon-ho, who followed it with "Memories of Murder" and "The Host".

• Glen

Watched by Glen 11 Mar, 2015

In many ways this is the kind of formally flashy film first time directors often make. Every other cut in Barking Dogs Never Bite is a match cut and on one of the occasions that it's not it's a rather goofy demonstration of the Kuleshov effect that appears to have been used for no readily apparent reason. (Aside from linking the two main characters I guess? But they are already pretty firmly linked by that point...)

That's not to say…

• Jordan Smith

Added by Jordan Smith

I'm not very good at watching a director's body of work in chronological order which would explain why Bong Joon-ho's first two features, this movie and his supposed masterpiece Memories of Murder, are the last of his that I need to see. My introduction to Joon-ho was a few years ago when I caught The Host on G4 as part of its Movies That Don't Suck block of programming and was blown away. I watched both Mother and Snowpiercer over…

• jb_86

★★★★ Watched by jb_86 10 Nov, 2014

Wonderfully odd film with so many ideas, so many potentially conflicting emotions that would usually kill a film. But Bong Joon-ho is a master and apparently he already was a while ago. Great characters are lead into weirdly comical situations and most of the humor that springs from these moments is pretty dark or at least pretty unusual. We have an annoyed dog killer who can't handle his pregnant wife's moods and who struggles to bribe his boss for a…

• MovieMike80

★★½ Added by MovieMike80

Barking Dogs Never Bite is an early film from visionary Korean director Bong Joon-ho. I'm a huge fan of Joon-ho's other films (Memories of Murder, Mother, The Host) and his most recent film Snowpiercer is one of my favorite films of the year. Barking Dogs doesn't come anywhere close to being in their ballpark. It's a pitch black comedy that doesn't quite hit the right notes for me.

• Vincent Lao

★★★★ Watched by Vincent Lao 30 Oct, 2014

A curious case of missing dogs, and eccentric characters makes Bong Joon-ho's debut feature film a wickedly funny, smart, and somewhat strange black comedy film