• Erik Swallow

★★★ Watched by Erik Swallow 27 Mar, 2015

A man is having a tough time in his life, and the neighbor's constantly-barking dog is driving him crazy, so he decides to take action., except it turns out to be the wrong dog! Meanwhile, a woman who works in the apartment complex sees the flyer about a missing dog and decides to take action. "Barking Dogs Never Bite" is a clever and fiendish dark comedy from Bong Joon-ho, who followed it with "Memories of Murder" and "The Host".

• Glen

Watched by Glen 11 Mar, 2015

In many ways this is the kind of formally flashy film first time directors often make. Every other cut in Barking Dogs Never Bite is a match cut and on one of the occasions that it's not it's a rather goofy demonstration of the Kuleshov effect that appears to have been used for no readily apparent reason. (Aside from linking the two main characters I guess? But they are already pretty firmly linked by that point...)

That's not to say…

• Jordan Smith

Added by Jordan Smith

I'm not very good at watching a director's body of work in chronological order which would explain why Bong Joon-ho's first two features, this movie and his supposed masterpiece Memories of Murder, are the last of his that I need to see. My introduction to Joon-ho was a few years ago when I caught The Host on G4 as part of its Movies That Don't Suck block of programming and was blown away. I watched both Mother and Snowpiercer over…

• jb_86

★★★★ Watched by jb_86 10 Nov, 2014

Wonderfully odd film with so many ideas, so many potentially conflicting emotions that would usually kill a film. But Bong Joon-ho is a master and apparently he already was a while ago. Great characters are lead into weirdly comical situations and most of the humor that springs from these moments is pretty dark or at least pretty unusual. We have an annoyed dog killer who can't handle his pregnant wife's moods and who struggles to bribe his boss for a…

• MovieMike80

★★½ Added by MovieMike80

Barking Dogs Never Bite is an early film from visionary Korean director Bong Joon-ho. I'm a huge fan of Joon-ho's other films (Memories of Murder, Mother, The Host) and his most recent film Snowpiercer is one of my favorite films of the year. Barking Dogs doesn't come anywhere close to being in their ballpark. It's a pitch black comedy that doesn't quite hit the right notes for me.

• Vincent Lao

★★★★ Watched by Vincent Lao 30 Oct, 2014

A curious case of missing dogs, and eccentric characters makes Bong Joon-ho's debut feature film a wickedly funny, smart, and somewhat strange black comedy film

• sebastian_drogo

★★★★ Added by sebastian_drogo

Si sa, Can che abbia non morde, ma non è necessariamente
    una cosa positiva.

• Dan Hassler-Forest

★★★★½ Watched by Dan Hassler-Forest 27 Aug, 2014

Bong Joon-ho extraordinary feature debut demonstrates beyond all doubt that humanities grad students are indeed the worst of all kinds of human being.

• sheilaob

★★★★★ Added by sheilaob

What an enjoyable film. So touching and funny. Recomended

• Dan Gaertner

★★★★½ Watched by Dan Gaertner 08 Aug, 2014

Bong Joon-ho's debut and quite excellent "Barking Dogs Never Bite" is sort of a hyperlink film in that it has roaming, free characters that occasionally bump into one another. Bae Doona steals every scene she is in like candy from a baby. A tremendous screen presence.

• Chad Hartigan

Watched by Chad Hartigan 08 Aug, 2014

Bong Joon-Ho did not read "Save the Cat."

• Aaron King

★★★½ Watched by Aaron King 02 Aug, 2014

Hard to describe this film. Is it a comedy, drama or horror? I think all fit.