• bobrien

★★★ Watched by bobrien 09 Sep, 2015

A strange film but certainly an amusing one. The cruelty to dogs in the film is rather baseless, a dog starts barking so I know I'll kill it or eat it. That seems to be the thought process to a few characters in this film which is a very weak premise to start a film. But once Barking Dogs Never Bite gets going it actually becomes a rather funny and entertaining film. Bong's first feature is undoubtedly his weakest but shows plenty of early promise with this quirky black comedy.

• Michael Bihari

★★★½ Watched by Michael Bihari 18 Aug, 2015

Bong Joon-ho's debut film introduces us to his style and the promise of what is to come. Two of my favorite Korean films are Memories of Murder and Mother and one can get a glimpse of Joon-ho's greatness in his "Dogs" film.

• MooseMeister

★★★★ Added by MooseMeister

Bong Joon-ho's first feature. Black comedy. Fargo-like kidnapping (dog napping). Dark humor. Slapstick. DooNa Bae. Interesting characters (I liked the interplay between the pregnant wife and our hapless hero. Certainly not q masterpiece but thoroughly enjoyable! Not for dog lovers, though...

• Nick

★★★ Watched by Nick 21 Aug, 2015

A quiet, twisted, and darkly entertaining comedy. One not familiar with Bong Joon-ho's definitive style would probably think this movie misses its mark and fails at finding its tone but I would disagree. Joon-ho's writing has always been and hopefully always will be uniquely strange. True, there's nothing amazing about Barking Dogs Never Bite. But considering it was was debut into feature-length filmmaking, I think he did a great job. Fans of his later works should check it out.

• Edwin Davies

★★★★ Watched by Edwin Davies 16 Aug, 2015

An often hilarious, always energetic black comedy that shows off Bong Joon-ho's ability as both a composer of images and as someone who knows how to pace a scene for maximum effect. Even at this early stage, his sensibility feels pretty well formed, while Doona Bae already displays the tremendous talent she would wield brilliantly in later work.

The only thing holding it back, for me, was the dog deaths and abuse, which were deeply upsetting even when employed for humour.

• Dan Scully

★★★½ Watched by Dan Scully 14 Aug, 2015

I'm not quite sure how they did this one scene without actually hurting a dog, but I trust the warning at the outset that no animals were harmed. Took the same tone as other work from Joon Bong Ho, and was equally entertaining. Super dark humor, but it's all so whimsical.

• Dan Mullen

★★★ Watched by Dan Mullen 13 Aug, 2015 2

I wanted to give this 2 stars or less for the relentless barrage of dog cruelty, joke or not. I don't know what it is but my girlfriend and I, both animal lovers, keep seeing movies with dog deaths. At Fantastic Fest alone last fall, FOUR movies out of 13 viewed had dog deaths. And now this.

WTF Bong Joon-Ho? I love your other movies, and there's certainly good stuff here, but did you have to go there for kicks?…

• Jarret

★★★ Watched by Jarret 12 Aug, 2015

I like the concept, the dark humor, and the visuals, but this is a total bore. Would've worked better as a short.

• Brian Whitman

★★★★½ Watched by Brian Whitman 08 Aug, 2015 2

This is an incredibly dark comedy that you should never allow anyone who is even remotely a dog lover to watch. The film keeps up strong momentum with multiple different characters, all of whom seem pretty awful (we have a guy who murders dogs, one who secretly eats them, and a woman who is abusing her boyfriend by making him crack lots of walnuts). My only other exposure to Bong Joon Ho is his American debut Snowpiercer - this movie had a similar level of momentum but had stronger and more resonant characters, so I liked it more.

• Mike de Raaf

★★★½ Watched by Mike de Raaf 09 Aug, 2015

This is a fun darkly comedic low stakes movie. I personally have no love for small dogs so I got a good laugh from the darker moments in this film that are sure to horrify some.

• Keaton B

★★½ Watched by Keaton B 04 Aug, 2015

I expected something great from the director director of Snowpiercer and The Host but this turned out to be quite a disappointment. To be fair, it was Bong Joon-ho's debut film. There's some dark humor but it never really hits its mark. And the film is surprisingly cruel to dogs.

• Jaime Rebanal

★★★★ Watched by Jaime Rebanal 24 Jul, 2015

I do happen to be an animal lover. So coming into Barking Dogs Never Bite I was skeptical. However when I came out I was laughing my head off. Bong Joon-ho's debut shows off a rather dark sense of humour as well as promise ahead of time for a rather talented new filmmaker. He's never afraid with where the humour will reach out, and he does manage to pull off some great work from the leads Lee Sung-jae and Bae…