• Tony Tost

★★★★½ Watched by Tony Tost 19 Apr, 2016

Bong Joon-ho is quickly becoming my ideal contemporary director, which might be a bit silly as I haven't seen The Host or Snowpiercer yet. But he has the perfectly combustible balance between dark absurdism and empathetic humanism. He's sort of the Coen Bros in their "A Serious Man" mode.

"Barking Dogs Never Bite" is his first feature. It's like the darkest anti-romantic comedy ever. Most of the funniest visual gags involve cruelty to small, adorable dogs. I guess I keep…

• Matthew Liddle

★★★ Watched by Matthew Liddle 04 Apr, 2016

Bong Joon Ho's first film reveals a lot about his progression as a filmmaker and his use of style, profile shots, ensemble staging, & kicking the wing mirrors off of cars.

• Kane Le-Petit

★★★★ Rewatched by Kane Le-Petit 03 Feb, 2016

Bong Joon-Ho's first feature length film is a very darkly hilarious character driven black comedy with some fantastic chase sequences , shot composition (as usual with Joon-Ho) and a uniqueness that only Bong Joon Ho seems to have with his films. Fantastic .

• Abhilash

★★★★★ Added by Abhilash

Great film. It's Bong Joon-Ho's (Memories of Murder, The Host) first gig as director. The guy has a real talent for calm suspense. Pretty funny too.

• Brooke Willis

★★★★★ Added by Brooke Willis

I love it! The characters' grandeur fantasies of adoration and fame are so adorable and super relatable.

• brennsto

★★★★ Watched by brennsto 29 Dec, 2015

part 1 of the 'bong hits' series.

• Andy Nelson

★★★½ Watched by Andy Nelson 23 Dec, 2015

I never could tell where this film was going, and I loved that. Unfortunately, the ending was far too ambiguous for me so the strong momentum the film had built up to that point ended up falling flat. I still liked it, but it's nowhere near as strong as some of director Bong Joon-ho's later films.

• Brendan

★★★ Watched by Brendan 09 Sep, 2015

A strange film but certainly an amusing one. The cruelty to dogs in the film is rather baseless, a dog starts barking so I know I'll kill it or eat it. That seems to be the thought process to a few characters in this film which is a very weak premise to start a film. But once Barking Dogs Never Bite gets going it actually becomes a rather funny and entertaining film. Bong's first feature is undoubtedly his weakest but shows plenty of early promise with this quirky black comedy.

• Michael Bihari

★★★½ Watched by Michael Bihari 18 Aug, 2015

Bong Joon-ho's debut film introduces us to his style and the promise of what is to come. Two of my favorite Korean films are Memories of Murder and Mother and one can get a glimpse of Joon-ho's greatness in his "Dogs" film.

• MooseMeister

★★★★ Added by MooseMeister

Bong Joon-ho's first feature. Black comedy. Fargo-like kidnapping (dog napping). Dark humor. Slapstick. DooNa Bae. Interesting characters (I liked the interplay between the pregnant wife and our hapless hero. Certainly not q masterpiece but thoroughly enjoyable! Not for dog lovers, though...

• Nick

★★★ Watched by Nick 21 Aug, 2015

A quiet, twisted, and darkly entertaining comedy. One not familiar with Bong Joon-ho's definitive style would probably think this movie misses its mark and fails at finding its tone but I would disagree. Joon-ho's writing has always been and hopefully always will be uniquely strange. True, there's nothing amazing about Barking Dogs Never Bite. But considering it was was debut into feature-length filmmaking, I think he did a great job. Fans of his later works should check it out.

• Edwin Davies

★★★★ Watched by Edwin Davies 16 Aug, 2015

An often hilarious, always energetic black comedy that shows off Bong Joon-ho's ability as both a composer of images and as someone who knows how to pace a scene for maximum effect. Even at this early stage, his sensibility feels pretty well formed, while Doona Bae already displays the tremendous talent she would wield brilliantly in later work.

The only thing holding it back, for me, was the dog deaths and abuse, which were deeply upsetting even when employed for humour.