• Todd Barnes

★★★★★ Added by Todd Barnes

Tim Burton's debut "Batman" film in 1989 came at a perfect time--a time when moviegoing audiences were tired of the Superman formula of movies and his "big blue Boy Scout" characterization, and they were ready for an angrier, darker, less-perfect hero. He was delivered in the form of a menacing Bat!

I clearly remember this time in our pop culture: Batman logos and merchandise was everywhere! I was almost 19 at the time, and a group of my geek friends…

• JaumeMuntane

★★★★½ Rewatched by JaumeMuntane 23 Oct, 2016

Burton, tu abans si que molaves.

• Armando Vanegas

★★★★ Rewatched by Armando Vanegas 14 Oct, 2016

Even watching Tim Burton’s Batman now, it still sets the stage for a spectacle and you can see the kind of skill Tim Burton can put into a movie. Right from the beginning, this seems like this could be something big and to be fair, it's not like there was a lot of superhero movies coming out at the time. Thankfully, it does live up to what it sets up as far as what a big screen blockbuster should be.…

• beefystudios

Watched by beefystudios 19 Oct, 2016

Really good film, I really do enjoy this film quite a bit one of the good batman films out of the original films

• R_Street

★★★ Watched by R_Street 23 Feb, 2016

Nolan's Batman was the worst thing that could happen to Tim Burton's take on the comic book character. Now, years later, the 1989 film looks more Adam West-like and the tone is closer to silly than dark. Burton directs with confidence and Nicholson is absolutely energetic, even when we all wish we could have seen a little more Batman on the screen.

• niv

★★★★ Watched by niv 11 Oct, 2016

have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight, tho?

• Gareth Bailey

★★★★ Watched by Gareth Bailey 10 Oct, 2016

Nicholson is a better joker than Leto, truer to the comic book role than Ledger, but phenomenal! When you watch this and the Nolan films you truly get a sense of why its good to let directors do their own interpretations to films and still make them great viewing. I wouldn't say I preferred this over the dark knight but they both had their merits and thoroughly enjoyable. You can understand the debate of who is batman to you 'West v Keaton vs Bale' more here, I'm not even including Clooney, god no! Very enjoyable watch

• ani

★★½ Watched by ani 10 Oct, 2016 2

I've always felt guilty about reaching the conclusion that Tim Burton sucks solely on the demerit of his "newer" movies, but this suggests that maybe he's just not for me..... Frequently with this I'd find moments I "could" admire, "could" be in awe of; but the thing with Burton is that his idea of spectacle has always felt shockingly hollow to me. Even as this thing's practical effects and deliberately artificial set design try to make Batman more tactile, it…

• ArronRoke

★★★ Watched by ArronRoke 05 Oct, 2016

This must have been before Tim Burton had heard of Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp.
    A nice smooth film however a little long. Michael Keaton was a strange choice for Batman but done a good job however it's Nicholson who steals the show for me.
    Enjoyed the Gothic elements that Burton brings too.

Not bad.

• alie

★★★★★ Rewatched by alie 01 Oct, 2016

jared leto who?

• JakeThornton

★★½ Added by JakeThornton

Though Michael Keaton was a very good batman and some of the performances were entertaining, it just didn't grab me like it did for most people. And I'm not a fan of Nicholson's joker (please don't shoot me)

• Scott Bannick

★★ Rewatched by Scott Bannick 02 Apr, 2015

This does not hold up. We had much lower standards for comic book movies back then. Batman doesn't kill, and in this movie he blows up an entire chemical plant of henchmen. Keaton is great, though the characterization of Batman is totally Tim Burton, and if we've learned anything, it's that Tim Burton is wildly overrated (except for Big Fish). Also, Nicholson was great for that era's Joker.