• Joe

★★★ Rewatched by Joe 25 May, 2016

Not the most coherent story but the Prince songs and Danny Elfman soundtrack carry everything.

• Josiah

★★★ Watched by Josiah 23 May, 2016

Has some dated eliminates but is still an entertaining superhero classic with surprisingly great acting, amazing cinematography and a beautiful score. 3.3/5

• LLFIN

★★ Watched by LLFIN 31 Mar, 2008

Classic, what more can I say.

• Lord_Filmchen

★★★★★ Watched by Lord_Filmchen 21 May, 2016

Seen it at the KKL in Lucerne on a big screen with the iconic Score played live by the great 21st Century Syphonic Orchestra. What an amazing experience... And Danny Elfman was present as well. WOW!

• Ross McRae

★★★★ Rewatched by Ross McRae 21 May, 2016

Film 33 of My Movie A to Z

I used to really love Batman, I wrote a whole essay about it at college, but the love has definitely faded over the years, I can only assume this is down to the current quality of comic book movies, there really isn't a comparison between this and the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy or Captain America: Civil War, although it's still very enjoyable.

• Christopher Lutz

★★½ Watched by Christopher Lutz 21 May, 2016

Somewhere between the camp of the 1966 Batman series and the incredibly serious Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy lies this film. It's a movie that has very good elements and other elements that are just plain strange that result in an OK experience. I love the casting, especially of Batman and the Joker. Both Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson were great in their respective roles. The story was decent enough, but the level of silliness hurt my overall enjoyment. I'd say that this movie was incredible to audiences when it was first released, but it just hasn't held up too well in the years since.

• bigkev

★★★★★ Added by bigkev

best batman film

• PlinyTheModern

★★★½ Added by PlinyTheModern

Derived from my honors thesis, "The Superhero Film: Dawn of Blockbuster Sustainability." Read the whole work at honors.libraries.psu.edu/catalog/28882

With the Superman franchise lying dormant as a result of 1987’s Superman IV, WB decided to upstart another superhero film franchise in the form of 1989’s Batman. Whereas Superman is a light- hearted character with a sense of humor, Batman represents the antithesis. Consequently, Tim Burton, known for darker visuals and gothic undertones (i.e. Beetlejuice), was hired to helm Batman. Crafting a…

• Jack Garrett

★★★★ Watched by Jack Garrett 17 May, 2016

The gritty tone accentuated by the darkness could have been most artistically pleasing but Burton went a bit too far and I had to turn the brightness and contrast up on my TV to actually see what was going on.

I had avoided this for so long thinking Keaton was the campy version of the Batman, by gosh I was wrong. There are some tongue in cheek comedic moments but overall the film achieves brutal visions which is forced upon…

• Jason Bally

★★★ Added by Jason Bally

All style over substance, but you cannot deny that this movie is great looking. While Nicholson is entertaining, his part is overwritten and it steals too much time away from our hero who should have been the real star of the movie. It pales when placed next to the Nolan Batman movies, but it is still worth seeing.

• Andy Wilkowske

★★★★ Watched by Andy Wilkowske 04 May, 2016 2

Vastly superior to the Nolan trilogy.

• William Gray

★★½ Rewatched by William Gray 09 Apr, 2016

I didn't see Batman when it first came out. Hell, it was almost 20 years old by the time I watched it. I can see how people could praise it for being a darker superhero movie, but now it doesn't seem as groundbreaking.

Honestly, a little boring, even.

(SMASH CUT TO MY THOUGHTS ON BATMAN RETURNS, GO)