• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★★ Rewatched by GoodBadAndOdd 30 Aug, 2014

Hah, I remember when this came out, we thought it was the dark, dark version. Now, after the Nolan batverse, it looks pretty campy. It's an odd mix of awesome and wince, all mixed up. Nicholson's Joker veers between an Alan Moore/Frank Miller Joker that is spot on, to more like a studio exec's idea of the Joker. The scenes go from dark and richly gothic (majestically Metropolis-like) to studio-bound lame.

And so the film goes, veering from awesome to…

• mennomail

★★★½ Rewatched by mennomail 29 Aug, 2014

This film got better since I saw it somewhere in 1989. Keaton plays a very nice Bat and damn, Kim was hot. I found Jack's performance of the Joker a bit weak. Perhaps that's because of the maniacal performance of Heath Ledger's Joker years later. The story was and still is boring and predictable, but that's okay: it's a Hollywood blockbuster. Amazing visuals and music.

• cronic

★★★ Added by cronic

6,5/10

• KMOKLER

Added by KMOKLER

The dark gothic version of Batman before Tim Burton started doing weird movies that made me sick, if you look back on this movie like I did its still a pretty solid movie Michael Keaton had the best voice for Batman and to this day Jack nicolsan's jocker still creeps me out and i just love the ending to this film there's just something about batman staring up at the bat signal that's just ssssooooo awesome

• Tom Ward

★★★★ Rewatched by Tom Ward 24 Aug, 2014

Burton's Batman is German Expressionism wrapped neatly into a period with the visuals of 30s pulp magazines. Expertly getting the tone of Gotham, the city is another character in itself. Elfman's score is phenomenal and Keaton's Batman is perfect.

It might be dated but it still comes out as one of the best live-action films of the Caped Crusader.

• Philip Kennedy

★★★ Watched by Philip Kennedy 24 Aug, 2014

I've never really understood the success of the Nolan films; why would someone want to see a comic book film set in a more sombre and serious world? Here Burton demonstrates that when you make a comic book movie you get to make it in a comic book world. Great costumes, great set design and a wonderful score. Sure some parts have aged a little, but on the whole I think this is the superior film.

• Jansen Aui

★★★½ Rewatched by Jansen Aui 22 Aug, 2014

Like watching a less serious The Dark Knight with a few more laughs and that.

• sschuster

★★★★★ Added by sschuster

While Nolan's Batman trilogy is my favorite screen version of the Dark Knight, Burton's vision was something incredibly original, especially for 1989. It was a phenomenon, so much so that I remember eating Batman cereal, as a kid, and trying to get my parents to take us to Taco Bell to collect Batman cups. I was too young to know who Michael Keaton or Jack Nicholson were, at the time, but looking back on the film, the casting of those two was some kind of amazing feat. They were perfect, and, along with Burton's vision for Gotham, made this movie perfect.

• trawlerman

★★★ Watched by trawlerman 23 Aug, 2014

It's too easy to forget that this is what "gritty" Batman looked like in 1989. It came as a (oh-so-pleasant) shock to those of us raised on Martinson's '66 Batman camp. Burton's Batman is "realist" through and through compared to Martinson while definitely "expressionistic" to Nolan's "realist." All three (I will not include Schumacher,) I think, fail to find a balance between "comic-booky" and cinematic. That was best achieved (so far) in the still-very-watchable Batman:The Animated Series.
    Anyhow, this Batman film holds up pretty well due to its oddness, great sets, and a few good performances.

• Sean Kelly

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sean Kelly 22 Aug, 2014

Watched the film multiple times as a kid on VHS (the first one my family bought), though it was the only Batman film I had never seen theatrically. I just remedied that.

Been many years since I last saw the film and I had forgotten how awesome Jack Nicholson is as The Joker.

• Peter Schubert

★★★ Watched by Peter Schubert 20 Aug, 2014

Part 1 of my Batman Movie Project

Being a pretty huge fan of the Batman comics, the Arkham video games and to some extent of the Nolan trilogy of films (Batman Begins & The Dark Knight more or less) I decided to watch the original Burton/Schumacher films (I know the Schumacher ones get rough). It might be that I saw some of them in my childhood, but apart some of the terrible camp of Batman & Robin ("Ice to see you" anyone?)…

• fourstarfilmfan

★★★½ Watched by fourstarfilmfan 20 Aug, 2014

It is hard to put this film in comparison with the Dark Knight Trilogy but this Tim Burton version can be enjoyable in its own right. It is more stylized and moody than Adam West's Batman and a little more cartoony than The Dark Knight. The cast including Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Bassinger and Jack Palance is a lot of fun. Again, it is impossible to compare Nicholson's Joker with Heath Ledger but it does have its own merit.…