• Active Dynamics

★★★★★ Rewatched by Active Dynamics 30 Oct, 2014

What Hunger Games could never be. Battle Royale is a modern day Japanese classic. Absolutely amazing film.

• Kieran Sturt

★★★★ Added by Kieran Sturt

Japan seems like a nice place.

• Master Crash

★★★★ Watched by Master Crash 29 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Tober challenge. Movie 21. 11 to go! Woop! I'll do it! Maybe!

I have a friend of mine who loves Battle Royale (since my circle of friends consists mostly of anime fans of various levels, it was bound to happen) and he reminded everyone that the Hunger Games was a rip-off every time we saw the later. I understand where he comes from, there's a couple similarities, but I once found a eight or nine year old scribbles, of when…

• Hemi

★★★★½ Added by Hemi

I liked this movie quite a bit when it came out and have watched it a fair number of times.

Question is: Can you kill your best friend?

This movie likes to prove that to be yes and in sometimes creative ways. I mean if there was ever a way to either set kids straight (those who dont go) or create Psychopaths then this is the way.

I read the manga and its better of course. Granted it has the…

• karl67

★★★½ Added by karl67

I remember watching this many years ago and i could not believe the graphic detail of how school children were hunting down and killing each other some with no remorse some reluctantly, many many years later i watched THE HUNGER GAMES and thought to myself what a pale comparison to BATTLE ROYALE, if one movie deserved a remake this is it..

• Dan Allen

★★★★ Watched by Dan Allen 23 Oct, 2014

I remember when my uncle showed me this when I was about 11, I am now 22 and still love it now. I finally purchased the Blu ray from Arrow who did an amazing job with it.

If you haven't seen this movie then make sure you do! It's sort of an extremely violent and much better version of the hunger games.

• BazbauersT

★★★½ Added by BazbauersT

LIKE IT BETTER THAN HUNGER GAMES

• Craig Dawson

★★★½ Rewatched by Craig Dawson 20 Oct, 2014

In the future, the Japanese government captures a class of ninth-grade students and forces them to kill each other under the revolutionary "Battle Royale" act.

I'd not seen Battle Royale for what must have been 5 years and after getting the 3 disc UK Blu-Ray a few months back thought it was the time to give it another spin. I remember loving it back in the day but in the intervening years I've become more film saavy so can see…

• Doug H

★★★½ Added by Doug H

Score: 70/100
    Somewhere along the path of Battle Royale, I wondered what was making me care for anyone but the main character. I know nothing about anyone else except that one kid’s dad committed suicide, but that, I believe, is just used to make us feel sorry for him and identify him as the hero. But aside from that, is Battle Royale any good? Yes, it is. I know what people are thinking “Oh, it’s just a Japanese Hunger Games.”…

• trolleyfreak

★★★★ Watched by trolleyfreak 13 Oct, 2014

In his last completed film Fukasaku proved that - at the age of 70 - advanced years shouldn't necessarily preclude a director from making a pulse-racing, rip-roaring action flick.

This is a wildly original super cool high-concept effort which certainly doesn't play like an 'old man's' film; a blood-soaked satire in which a group of teens are pitted against each other in the ultimate winner-takes-all battle for survival..

• imstillakid

★★★ Added by imstillakid

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Joey Seguin

★★★½ Watched by Joey Seguin 08 Oct, 2014

Have to admire the idea, given the fact it sparked so many other stories and films to come. Battle Royale begins strong and keeps things interesting with an abundance of gore and violence, but the story and character development begin to slip as the run time progresses.