• Harrison Miller

★★★★ Watched by Harrison Miller 16 Aug, 2014 3

A very wild film that doesn't disappoint. I like where Suzanne Collins took her story with "The Hunger Games" as far as details and the world itself, but her novels lack the cynical nature that I much prefer. What a movie.

• travis_bickle76

★★★½ Watched by travis_bickle76 15 Aug, 2014

Japanese school kids are sent to a isolated island to face off in a battle to the death following the introduction of a new policy in Japan. More stylish than The Hunger Games although suffered in comparison due to the vastly differing budgets. A sequel was released a few years later but I've heard that it best avoided.

• AngryAssSloth

★★★★ Watched by AngryAssSloth 15 Aug, 2014

This was a great film that I would recommend to anybody in a heartbeat. My problem with this film is that I tend to over think everything in a movie. I was constantly questioning the plot and how it worked. That plus I'm not very good at adding two things together in a plot so that they make sense. Why does the government do these Battle Royales anyways? Is it to teach young people that they need to respect their…

• masuyo

Added by masuyo

kiherélték a könyvet, "cenzúrázták" a japánoknak

• MatthewLB

★★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 11 Aug, 2014

This movie makes the hunger games look like shit, The story is about 42 ninth-grade classmates are stranded on a deserted island each with a weapon and a choice: kill or be killed and they all been told all of that by they head teacher. let me just say one thing that I Did not like about this movie and that is when the kids would be shot or sharped they will keep moving around like water just spilled all…

• alphonse

★★★★½ Rewatched by alphonse 09 Aug, 2014 8

Based on a Japanese bestseller, Fukasaku's most acclaimed film presents us a near future where Japan is on the brink of economic collapse, millions of people are unemployed and there is no discipline in schools. In response to the crisis, the government establishes the Battle Royale program to try to control the rising tide of juvenile crime. After randomly selecting a group of forty boys and girls under fifteen years, they are kidnapped and sent to an island in the…

• Stuart Barr

★★★★½ Rewatched by Stuart Barr 10 Aug, 2014

Half star knocked off for the director's cut version which adds little of note

• Chris Ward

★★★★ Watched by Chris Ward 06 Aug, 2014

Fuck Hunger Games, this is the real deal.

• Peter Pibson

★★★★ Watched by Peter Pibson 20 Jul, 2014

Really great until the ending kind of derails.

But then again BLOOOOOOOOD SO MUCH BLOOOOOOOOOD

And brains lots of brains (and I don't mean the gore kind)

Takeshi Kitano is awesome

• Julius

★★★½ Rewatched by Julius 27 Jul, 2014

Not as clever as I remember, this isn't much more than broadly drawn characters bombastically killing the shit out of each other and occasionally taking time out for some big fat melodrama. Which is fine.

(By the way, this is my 666th film logged on Letterboxd. I wish I had chosen something more appropriate, like Häxan or Forrest Gump. Oh well.)

• RAJs

★★★★½ Added by RAJs

A BRUTAL AND BRILLIANT ASIAN FILM

• Mynt Marsellus

★★★ Watched by Mynt Marsellus 26 Jul, 2014

I enjoyed most of this film. The ending is a little infuriating though, abandoning and in truth never fully realizing the premise.