• Sarah

★★★½ Watched by Sarah 16 Dec, 2014 1

Battle Royale's tagline asks if you could kill your best friend. This is a grave question that the movie itself never treats with much gravity. But starting with the Wonka-style justice of its premise (the kids are badly-behaved; let’s kill ‘em) to the demented instructional video and throughout many of its violent showdowns and shifting alliances, a lot of this is played for laughs. I’m not incensed by this; it’s just a confusing tone at times.

In spite of itself,…

• jeremy2092

★★★★★ Watched by jeremy2092 16 Dec, 2014

I now know that I have been completely desensitized by the television and movies. When I should be asking, "What the fuck, Japan?", I'm trying to figure out how I would have played the game. Intense, heart breaking, and gruesome, this is one to definitely watch. Especially if you have already given up on humanity, like I have.

• Jessie

★★★★ Watched by Jessie 16 Dec, 2014 5

The obvious inspiration of the Hunger Games, which is in fact a total ripoff. In fact, the only merit I ever gave to the series was admiration for an original idea, which I now know was false praise.

Great movie though, with a pretty accurate depiction of Japanese youth (but with guns)

• Claudia

★★★½ Watched by Claudia 15 Dec, 2014

• Lord Auch

★★★½ Watched by Lord Auch 15 Dec, 2014

• Jesse

★★★★★ Added by Jesse

I cried today.
    I don't even know why the Hunger Games exists (any version of it) when this is so much better.

• Gex

★★★★½ Rewatched by Gex 12 Dec, 2014 9

• Aubrey Hansen

★★★ Watched by Aubrey Hansen 09 Dec, 2014

Finally got around to watching the film that may or may not be Collins' inspiration for The Hunger Games. She claims it's not, other people think it's her publisher that fed her the ideas, but irregardless they don't need to worry--The Hunger Games is better. This movie is more brutal in a sense that the killings are more vicious, and the games themselves are less structured, so there's a dirty chaos to the whole thing. The Hunger Games themselves are…

• Elliot Fane

★★★ Added by Elliot Fane

Despite being better than 'The Hunger Games' (the series that has an extremely similar story), it never really takes the opportunity to be a truly unique film.

A lot of the characters and story had a lot of cliches that appeared so frequently that it affected my enjoyment of the film... Which is not common. But it is a genuine shame that Fukasaku didn't take the interesting concept and make it his own film.

The film isn't bad, but it didn't really invest me into anything due to writing that doesn't tread new ground.

• ChasingTheDawn

★★★½ Added by ChasingTheDawn

Really gritty action film. Basically the thing you hear the Hunger Games ripped off.

• Dave Jackson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dave Jackson 07 Dec, 2014

A decade and a half ago at the impressionable age of 14, Battle Royale was one of my first glimpses into Japanese cinema. It absolutely blew my tiny teenaged mind. I've watched it countless times since, and it only gets better with each subsequent viewing. What has come to the surface with repeat viewings is just how funny Battle Royale is. Takeshi Kitano's delivery is perfect (his final moments are incredible), and the way the film mixes daily teenage issues…

• walatomus27

★★★★ Watched by walatomus27 07 Dec, 2014

Good but there was never a moment that stud out to me