• David Gutierrez

★★★★½ Added by David Gutierrez

I love Battle Royale. I love its extremist message. I love the cynism and irony of the movie as the presenter explains on the tape what Battle Royale is and how it has to be played. I love the bloody, funny killings. But above everything, I love the characters. I love how the movie explores and deepens the personal relationships between the participants of the game and then just rips these relationships off and kills them. However, if there's something…

• firelordazulas

★★★ Watched by firelordazulas 21 Mar, 2015

they changed a lot of stuff??? but u know, minus the terrible child acting it was pretty good

• TOSD

★★★★ Watched by TOSD 20 Mar, 2015 4

Win

• Definitely has a surprising amount of heart with several characters we actually care about
    • The true value of love and friendship is put to test
    • Brutal and unsettling, making The Hunger Games look like kids stuff
    • Inevitable clash between the two psychos
    • Epic use of classical music, including one of the many mesmerizing compositions seen in 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • Plenty of weird and morbid sense of humor

Fail

• An overload of…

• SimonR

★★★½ Added by SimonR

In a movie that long pre-dated plots like The Hunger Games series, a class of teenage schoolchildren is picked by lottery to fight to the death on a booby trapped island as some kind of sick revenge by the adult population. This Japanese b exploitation flick punched above its weight with regards to characters but in the end it's still about teenagers murdering each other in interesting ways. One of the first effective users of post composite blood spatter this…

• YI JIAN

★★★★½ Watched by YI JIAN 19 Mar, 2015 11

Run.

When you've already presented the main plot on the table in the first five minutes, and the rest of it are mostly predictable, what do you use to drive your film forward while keeping it interesting?

Testicle mutilation.

Wait. No.

Characters. That's right. Characters. Good ones. The ones with depth. And director Kinji Fukasaku, or rather, author of the original novel -- Koushun Takami, delivers. 43 of 'em! (Including Kitano-sensei.) The hardest part of telling a story about teenagers…

• HarryPettit

★★ Added by HarryPettit

Bunch of cunts kill each other for two hours.

It's difficult to figure out who to root for when after the first five minutes you already want every one of the little fucks dead.

• pentax

★★★½ Added by pentax

read book instead

• Heather_Grrrl

★★★½ Watched by Heather_Grrrl 14 Mar, 2015

I really should have watched this film 15 years ago because I didn't seem to rate it as much as everyone else does watching it for the first time now :/

• Aske Pedersen

cult film.

obra maestra.

• Andy Lunn

★★★★★ Watched by Andy Lunn 04 Mar, 2015

Decidedly odd, but brilliant. Quite a shocker when I first saw it, purely because of the concept. The impact of it has been watered down somewhat over the years, with all the Hunger Games wankiness.

Despite that, Battle Royale remains the original and the best of its kind.

• _DeusExMachina_

★★★½ Watched by _DeusExMachina_ 07 Mar, 2015

Nicht der Beste aller Filme, manchmal unfreiwilig komisch wegen der asiatischen Bildsprache. Aber für Filmabende ganz ok.