• Richard Goddard

★★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Goddard 01 Sep, 2014

So ridiculously original, inventive and influential that even 14 years later it still feels fresh and powerful, and probably will for an extremely long time to come.

• Juan Bacaro

★★★½ Rewatched by Juan Bacaro 31 Aug, 2014

"Mi película favorita en estos últimos 18 años es 'Battle Royale', de Kinji Fukasaku". (Quentin Tarantino / 2009).

• AngryAssSloth

★★★★★ Rewatched by AngryAssSloth 29 Aug, 2014 2

This turned out to be a huge hit at movie night. There is something about Japanese movies. They are simultaneously serious as fuck yet because of the culture shock to us Americans it makes for a lot of very funny moments. One good example of culture shock being in My Neighbor Totoro, where the family takes a bath with each other.

Still love this movie just as much as before if not even more. I wish I knew that there was a Japanese Hunger Games earlier.

• Naughty

★★★★★ Watched by Naughty 27 Aug, 2014

Controversial Cult Classic, incredibly original and highly influential film that puts the Hunger Games to shame!

It has more than earned its reputation for its violence and brutality but the real star of the show is the diverse range of emotions and fears (Good and Bad) that are all too human!

Takeshi Kitano added some serious beaucoup depth and flavor to the film!

• jingo56

★★★★½ Added by jingo56

This was a great flick, I get where hunger games got its story from. This film is a masterpiece, no wonder its Quentin Tarantino's favorite movie. It has dialogue(subtitle of course),great character development, emotion, and great action!!

• Harrison Miller

★★★★ Watched by Harrison Miller 16 Aug, 2014 3

A very wild film that doesn't disappoint. I like where Suzanne Collins took her story with "The Hunger Games" as far as details and the world itself, but her novels lack the cynical nature that I much prefer. What a movie.

• travis_bickle76

★★★½ Watched by travis_bickle76 15 Aug, 2014

Japanese school kids are sent to a isolated island to face off in a battle to the death following the introduction of a new policy in Japan. More stylish than The Hunger Games although suffered in comparison due to the vastly differing budgets. A sequel was released a few years later but I've heard that it best avoided.

• AngryAssSloth

★★★★ Watched by AngryAssSloth 15 Aug, 2014

This was a great film that I would recommend to anybody in a heartbeat. My problem with this film is that I tend to over think everything in a movie. I was constantly questioning the plot and how it worked. That plus I'm not very good at adding two things together in a plot so that they make sense. Why does the government do these Battle Royales anyways? Is it to teach young people that they need to respect their…

• masuyo

Added by masuyo

kiherélték a könyvet, "cenzúrázták" a japánoknak

• MatthewLB

★★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 11 Aug, 2014

This movie makes the hunger games look like shit, The story is about 42 ninth-grade classmates are stranded on a deserted island each with a weapon and a choice: kill or be killed and they all been told all of that by they head teacher. let me just say one thing that I Did not like about this movie and that is when the kids would be shot or sharped they will keep moving around like water just spilled all…

• alphonse

★★★★½ Rewatched by alphonse 09 Aug, 2014 8

Based on a Japanese bestseller, Fukasaku's most acclaimed film presents us a near future where Japan is on the brink of economic collapse, millions of people are unemployed and there is no discipline in schools. In response to the crisis, the government establishes the Battle Royale program to try to control the rising tide of juvenile crime. After randomly selecting a group of forty boys and girls under fifteen years, they are kidnapped and sent to an island in the…

• Stuart Barr

★★★★½ Rewatched by Stuart Barr 10 Aug, 2014

Half star knocked off for the director's cut version which adds little of note