• quawn

★★★★½ Added by quawn

I didn't give it 5 stars, just because I was literally scared to hell!

• lukesear93

★★★★½ Rewatched by lukesear93 20 Jul, 2014

Makes The Hunger Games look like a Pixar movie.

• jack_nance

★★★½ Watched by jack_nance 20 Jul, 2014

Most know this as the meaner spirited older sister to blockbuster YA novel / film series The Hunger Games. As in the latter it follows the exploits of a group of teens dropped onto an island with supplies and weapons and "encouraged" to kill each other until only one remains. There whys and wheres are not terribly important or even very comprehensible, at least with my understanding of Japanese politics.

Director Kinji Fukasaku takes his transgressive blood bath to a…

• James Haves

★★★★ Watched by James Haves 20 Jul, 2014

Despite an ending which opens up a bunch of confusing plot holes that bring it down a bit, Battle Royale is a gripping as hell and emotionally affecting ride that does character development perfectly, making me care about characters that have had not even five minutes of screentime at their time of death.

Also, Takeshi Kitano is a boss.

• ndoane

★★★★ Rewatched by ndoane 20 Jul, 2014

The violence played as high school drama played out on an exaggerated scale is a lot of fun. It is impossible to not compare it to Hunger Games and I enjoyed this more. It wasn't just the graphic violence, although there was some fun death.

The opening video explaining the rules was so cheery and great.

• Alfie Saxby

★★★★ Watched by Alfie Saxby 21 Jul, 2014

Wow...

This film is awesome, from the eerie characters and a brief history into their lives to the gory battle scenes, Battle Royale is utterly brilliant.

I don't watch Japanese movies, or really any movies that don't have English as its first language. However watching this movie showed me what I'm missing out by not viewing one every so often.

Will be sure to watch more in the near future.

• ab

★★★★ Rewatched by ab 20 Jul, 2014

The book was better

• Tarryn-tino

★★★★ Watched by Tarryn-tino 19 Jul, 2014 4

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Catherine Cat

★★★★★ Rewatched by Catherine Cat 28 Jun, 2014

well, if you like gore and suspense, this is your movie

• sleepingjamie

★★★★ Rewatched by sleepingjamie 11 Jul, 2014

Exciting action film that still holds up after nearly 15 years. Partly due to the fact that the actors and action are supposed to feel juvenile and unrehearsed. It gives the film an edgy scariness that most films don't earn. I watched the directors cut that adds very little except runtime. The violence isn't an issue to me as I was invested in the characters. If you've only heard of this in relation to the hunger games, then you've got a pleasant surprise in store.

• Joe Burke

★★★½ Added by Joe Burke

Crazy film, that because it's Japanese, isn't so crazy. It was a fun watch but felt very soulless. Maybe that's just the style with all the excess gore I dunno, but yeah felt like there was something missing.

• Cheenee Mandawe