• pklvs

★★★ Added by pklvs

What starts off as a bizarre thriller turns into a goofy comedy-drama halfway through, not sure about this one. I guess I should have seen it coming with Takeshi being involved.

• James Gorton

★★★★½ Rewatched by James Gorton 22 Jan, 2015

Battle Royale succeeds in it's simplicity. 38 kids who know each other (plus 2 others) are thrown on to an island to fight to the death.

It doesn't have the revolutions and political intrigue of The Hunger Games, though there is certainly some social commentary, but Battle Royale succeeds in telling its simple story. Comparably, I'd argue that The Hunger Games fails to successfully pull off a lot of the ideas it presents to the audience.

The battle is horrific,…

• Danny Schick

★★½ Watched by Danny Schick 08 Jan, 2015

I didn't know how any of the characters were but watching Japanese kids murder each other was entertaining enough

• Jennifer R

★★½ Watched by Jennifer R 18 Jan, 2015

This film wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. There wasn't much keeping me invested into the plot, and, as with most films from Japan, the acting was really over done. The concept was interesting, but having see the Hunger Games already, which I felt was much better developed plot wise, this film sort of fell short.

• Daniel Webb

★★★½ Rewatched by Daniel Webb 16 Jan, 2015

I had my Friday night planned. It had been a tiring day, I was feeling a little under the weather, and I was looking forward to finally watching Syndromes and a Century; a film that's good for the soul, or so I've heard, and a film I've been trying to see for years now, but have only recently been able to acquire through the internet, strictly for educational purposes. Ahem. So, anyway, I make a nice big bowl of chicken…

• Michael Lawton

★★★★ Added by Michael Lawton

An intriguing plot in which a class is chosen to be let out among each other on an island in which they must survive and kill on another. If they decide to disobey in any sort, a remote controlled collar on the students will detonate. A controversial film to say the least, plays well with it's story and characters creating a fantastic film experience. This film may be much for some because of the content. The death count does pile up quickly in this film. In ways, Battle Royale is a masterpiece and a disturbing one but nevertheless is great.

• Poppy P

★★★★★ Watched by Poppy P 12 Jan, 2015

OH MY GOD

• Andrea Blythe

★★★½ Watched by Andrea Blythe 21 Sep, 2012

The book, which I loved, is blood and gore soaked tale, a class of 40 junior high school students is brought to an island and told by the fascist government that they must kill each other in an all out battle with only one survivor.

The movie didn't work as well for me. Things have to be changed to make a movie work, and I understand that and can often enjoy movies as a separate work of art from the…

• jdetrick

★★★★ Watched by jdetrick 10 Jan, 2015

It's certainly obvious why there are comparisons between this movie and The Hunger Games. On the surface they are both stories about young people being forced to fight each other to the death, and there aren't many stories of that type. However, not only are their underlying premises different (and the Battle Royale premise is even more nonsensical than the premise of Hunger Games, which is saying something), but the way those premises are handled are very different. Hunger Games…

• cronic

★★★½ Watched by cronic 11 Jan, 2015

7,5/10

Still a great film idea and well executed, although the acting, practical effects and camera work are amateurish

• FilmFeed

★★★★ Watched by FilmFeed 10 Jan, 2015

One of the top ten highest grossing films of Japan, Battle Royale is The Hunger Games on steroids. It tells the touching story of Pot Lid and Binoculars as they try to survive on an island for 3 days while all of their classmates murder each other. Recommended by both Billy and Cody, this movie is over the top violent. The multiple sub-plots make this film a little convoluted at times but it’s easy to ignore with how much they do right.

• rkornhauser

★★★★½ Watched by rkornhauser 05 Jan, 2015

Adolescentes japoneses siendo muy adolescentes y muy japoneses matándose sin razón (bueno sí hay razón, pero me gusta pensar que no la hay).

Es un bueno momento para hablar sobre el dilema del prisionero... no mejor no.