• BazbauersT

★★★½ Added by BazbauersT

LIKE IT BETTER THAN HUNGER GAMES

• Craig Dawson

★★★½ Rewatched by Craig Dawson 20 Oct, 2014

In the future, the Japanese government captures a class of ninth-grade students and forces them to kill each other under the revolutionary "Battle Royale" act.

I'd not seen Battle Royale for what must have been 5 years and after getting the 3 disc UK Blu-Ray a few months back thought it was the time to give it another spin. I remember loving it back in the day but in the intervening years I've become more film saavy so can see…

• Doug H

★★★½ Added by Doug H

Score: 70/100
    Somewhere along the path of Battle Royale, I wondered what was making me care for anyone but the main character. I know nothing about anyone else except that one kid’s dad committed suicide, but that, I believe, is just used to make us feel sorry for him and identify him as the hero. But aside from that, is Battle Royale any good? Yes, it is. I know what people are thinking “Oh, it’s just a Japanese Hunger Games.”…

• trolleyfreak

★★★★ Watched by trolleyfreak 13 Oct, 2014

In his last completed film Fukasaku proved that - at the age of 70 - advanced years shouldn't necessarily preclude a director from making a pulse-racing, rip-roaring action flick.

This is a wildly original super cool high-concept effort which certainly doesn't play like an 'old man's' film; a blood-soaked satire in which a group of teens are pitted against each other in the ultimate winner-takes-all battle for survival..

• imstillakid

★★★ Added by imstillakid

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Joey Seguin

★★★½ Watched by Joey Seguin 08 Oct, 2014

Have to admire the idea, given the fact it sparked so many other stories and films to come. Battle Royale begins strong and keeps things interesting with an abundance of gore and violence, but the story and character development begin to slip as the run time progresses.

• Daniel Wolfe

★★½ Watched by Daniel Wolfe 06 Oct, 2014

Like live action anime, in the absolute worst way.

• Karen Ceja

★★★★ Added by Karen Ceja

Siempre los orientales con su mix de humor y horror.
    Hunger Games agregó demasiadas cosas a su versión, o a su historia misteriosamente parecida.

Me gustó que en realidad no hay mucho qué explicar, y la desesperación crece entre los estudiantes hasta volverlos locos.

Una crítica social interesante, con mucho más fondo emocional que Hunger Games, y eso que sí me gusta esa película.

• wagamama

★★★½ Added by wagamama

where will you be when the feel train hits?
    Of course this movie reminds me a lot of "The Hunger Game" but if "The Hunger games" is land then this movie is sea. Cause it's just that much deeper.

• HootsmanOfUnst

★★★★½ Added by HootsmanOfUnst

Great film, almost five star. There's a lot of copies out there, but none as good as this flick.

• shakthi

★★★★½ Watched by shakthi 07 Mar, 2014

For me the movie is like a dream in my school days.. i got impressed by it..

• Paul Anthony Johnson

★★★★ Added by Paul Anthony Johnson

What makes Kinji Fukasaku's voluptuous ode to violence so much more compelling than most splatter spectacles is his sense of what happens socially when violence constitutes a cultural norm. Chalk it up to Fukasaku being a war veteran or Fukasaku being a pulp con-artist in the noble savage traditions of Sam Fuller and Steve Ditko. Fukasaku proves capable of evoking a fully realized social space in which people relate to each other purely as prey or predator. He invests the…