• arlsvera

★★★½ Watched by arlsvera 12 Aug, 2014

It's hard to describe this film. It starts off rather sweet - a great portrayal of male friendship and their budding romances with some local gals. About three quarters of the way through the film, things get trippy. Things go very, very bad for the boys. The tone of the movie changes. I had no idea what I was getting into, but it was quite a ride!

• Brett Leach

★★★★ Rewatched by Brett Leach 26 Jul, 2014

Very dark film and the ending kinda pisses me off but I love the unique vision. Great cast of unknowns and the movie zips right along. And it has some bad ass cars.

• Paul Donovan

★★★★½ Watched by Paul Donovan 21 Jul, 2014

Nine Things About the Movie "Bellflower" [USA, 2011]

1. I usually find romantic dramas to be predictable and boring. But this movie is a rare exception.

2. It’s about two best friends, Aiden and Woodrow, who moved to California together to make their lives different. They spend their spare time (which they have a lot of) fantasizing about what they would do during the apocalypse. They build “Mad Max”-inspired cars and flamethrowers as their hobby.

3. Woodrow falls in love…

• Dan Schindel

Added by Dan Schindel

Bitches, amirite?

• Neely

★★★ Watched by Neely 03 Jul, 2014

Bellflower is a film without consequences, a film about characters who live day by day in a visually dusty and hazy world.

Woodrow is not a hero; he not only gets blood on his hands, but he lives a terribly unsatisfying and dangerous life of drinking and playing with fire. In fact, all the characters are rather despicable and constantly choose ill-formed decisions while physically and emotionally harming one another during the duration of the film. And then there are…

• Ian Buckwalter

Watched by Ian Buckwalter 07 Sep, 2011

Read my DCist review.

• Chris Bryan

★★½ Watched by Chris Bryan 30 Jun, 2014

What started off with promise and hope slowly turns into a spiralling out of control disaster. I think I know what or where the director wanted to go, but stepping on the accelerator halfway through kind of disrupted the whole flow, and the editting did not help.

• SimonR

★★★★½ Added by SimonR

Petrolheads with relationship issues. Whilst you could accuse the plot of being thin, this film is fresh as, saved by a big heart, intimate engaging performances and a unique style due in no small part to the tiltshift digital camera the director built himself from scratch for the film, the 'Coatwolf Model II'. The only grumble I have is that there is no behind the scenes information on the DVD about the camera he built to shoot the film, you…

• Jeff Gallashaw

★★★★ Added by Jeff Gallashaw

Bellflower follows two friends as they venture out into the world to begin their adult lives. Literally all their free time is spent building flame-throwers and weapons of mass destruction in hopes that a global apocalypse will occur and clear the runway for their imaginary gang "Mother Medusa". While waiting for the world to end, their call to excitement comes unexpectedly when one of them meets a charismatic young woman and falls hard in love. Quickly integrated into a new…

• Andy

★★★½ Watched by Andy 25 Jun, 2014

It has its charms, but it mostly felt like a really expansive undergrad video final. Pretty let down.

• Antonio Guzman

★★★★ Watched by Antonio Guzman 18 Jun, 2014

Nice little rom-com until it goes up in flames at the end. I have no idea what to make of it, but at least it lands with style.

And the fucking flamethrower! pyromaniac's dream.

• Harry Fuertes

★★★ Watched by Harry Fuertes 18 Jun, 2014

I don't know if I should like this movie or not. It's a breakup revenge fantasy dressing up as a Lynchian nightmare with elements of Mad Max and 500 Days of Summer thrown in for good measure. While the characters are annoying as fuck and the production value at times feels cheap and amateurish, there's something strangely magnetic about the feel and tone of this pretentious little Sundance looking and sounding piece of shit. I just gotta let it sit for a while longer.

Grade: B-