• VeganBen

★★★★ Watched by VeganBen 28 Jul, 2014

There are some actors you just want to slap with a wet haddock. For me, this is personified by Jack Black.
    I like School of Rock, and I like Be Kind Rewind. But Mr Black (oh dear Lord, I just remembered Gulliver) is almost number one on my kipper-face list.
    So how come, sometimes like in Bernie, and like the two above, he's absolutely capable of giving a film it's soul and really nailing it?
    It's got to be the…

• Carlos Rubi

★★½ Watched by Carlos Rubi 27 Jul, 2014

Como comedia negra funciona por ratos, aunque casi todo reside en la magnífica interpretación de Jack Black como Bernie. Sin embargo, en el tótem de películas de Linklater, Bernie está a la mitad o debajo de la lista, especialmente por las escenas de declaraciones de los habitantes que conocieron a la pareja principal, que moldean la personalidad del pueblo texano.

Sin embargo, conociendo las habilidades del director para hacer personajes creíbles (prueba de ello su enorme trayectoria), queda a deber al utilizar el estilo mockumentary que impide que se desarrollen las personalidades por sí solas, dependiendo de lo que dicen los demás sobre ellos.

• Alistair

★★★★ Watched by Alistair 28 Jul, 2014

Such a surreal, dark, funny story I can hardly believe that it is real, the documentary style is interesting and is a different and refreshing way of telling a story. The central performance from Jack Black is surprising as he doesn't fall back on the comedic roles he usually plays but instead engrosses himself in the dark but likeable role of Bernie.

• Fernando Andrés

★★★★★ Added by Fernando Andrés

A perfect little film, and one of those rare dark comedies that creates an omnipotent sense of humor- however black it may be.

This is only one of Richard Linklater's small-town masterpieces.

• Eduardo Bolzan

★★★ Watched by Eduardo Bolzan 18 Jul, 2014

Richard Linklater dirigindo Shirley MacLaine e Matthew Mcconaughey em um drama, com um Jack Black no meio do caminho.
    O Bernie de Jack Black é alguém cheio de trejeitos, muito carismático e o ator entrega possivelmente sua melhor atuação. Só que a persona de Black é toda de comédia e Bernie precisava ser um drama.
    Os erros de Linklater são vários, ao meu ver. A forma como desenvolve os personagens, que em um momento amam incondicionalmente o personagem principal, para…

• arielnerd

★★★½ Watched by arielnerd 25 Jun, 2014

Interesting and truly funny at times which was surprising.

• Christopher Murphy

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Murphy 23 Jul, 2014

Jack Black puts on a bravura performance as a mild-mannered undertaker who wouldn't hurt a fly… except… well…

• Jeff Irvine

★★★★ Watched by Jeff Irvine 11 Jul, 2014

This was such a good movie, and Jack Black has never been better. He plays a funeral director at a mortuary, who is beloved by the entire town. This is a smart, well made black comedy that I really enjoyed!

• Dominic Cobb

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dominic Cobb 21 Jul, 2014

I don't know what's up with all y'alls, but this is still my favorite Linklater film. Granted, that will likely change when I see Boyhood, and I do agree that there's a lot of greatness in the Before trilogy, I still enjoy this one the most, and it makes an interesting commentary on what is just, and whether a life lived well makes up for a 'huge' sin.

• Lyzette

★★★★ Watched by Lyzette 21 Jul, 2014

I've noticed that very often comedians put on their best acting performances in comedies with a bit of a darker tone. I've observed this with Adam Sandler (Punch-Drunk Love), Will Ferrell (Stranger Than Fiction), Jim Carrey (I Love You Phillip Morris), and now Jack Black in Bernie, his second collaboration with director Richard Linklater. I'm not the biggest fan of Black, with School of Rock previously being the one thing I genuinely enjoy him in. However, he gives off a…

• James

★★★★½ Rewatched by James 19 Jul, 2014

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is Jack Black's best performance. He is subtly flamboyant and is completely different from any other film he's done. Bernie is directed by Richard Linklater, who also directed Black in School of Rock. The style of direction in the film is very good, almost like a docudrama. Overall, it's a very good film which adapts a true story to screen in an unusual yet brilliant way.

• John

★★★½ Watched by John 17 Jul, 2014

I first watched School of Rock sometime in middle school. It inspired me to listen to more classic rock, and really broadened my taste in music. It also forever cemented Jack Black as "the School of Rock guy." No matter what other roles he took, he was never as good as he was in that movie; nothing was as heartfelt, realistic, nor simply suited for his larger-than-life personality, I felt.
    After watching Bernie, I'm not so sure that I'll think…