• Carl Garcia

★★★★★ Added by Carl Garcia

Still lovely.

So perfectly suited to Linklater I found myself wanting to mentally rewrite his career. "Of course, all his movies have been like this!" Which, no. Although, this particular brand of all-inclusive sweetness has been slowly burgeoning its way to the front after the cynical shallowness of Fast Food Nation.

Jack Black is great, but I realized this time around how absolutely killer Shirley MacLaine is as the near-silent old bitch, Mrs. Nugent. All her spite and loneliness is communicated silently, and typically done with stone-faced sight gags.

• Brett Hatten

★★★★ Added by Brett Hatten

It's quirky. Not a comedy but not exactly a drama. Jack Black is actually pretty good in it. A good rental.

• Sam Blackburn

★★★★ Rewatched by Sam Blackburn 23 May, 2015

Whether it is by his own choice or not I think it is kind of sad that many other directors haven't given Jack Black a real chance after this movie or even when he did The School of Rock. The is really a good actor. The character Bernie is an interesting one and what director Richard Linklater did with actually interviewing the people of Carthage was an interesting choice.

• David

★★★★½ Added by David

You have to see this film to truly understand how incredible it is. To explain why I love it so much would spoil everything about it. Just watch it and enjoy Jack Black in one of the best roles he's done in a long time.

• William Fried Ken

★★★★½ Added by William Fried Ken

I don't know why, but I seem to want to come back to this movie time and time again.

• FlickFanatics

★★★★ Watched by FlickFanatics 15 May, 2015 1

Very funny, very interesting story. Jack Black and Matt M do a great job at keeping the audience engaged in their performances throughout.

• Jaimee22

★★★½ Watched by Jaimee22 12 May, 2015

This film was part mockumentary style and part film. I was drawn to it as it is based on true events and Jack Black was such an unusual choice for this almost angelic character. The most interesting part of the story is that Bernie's flaw as our hero is actually his strength simulataneously. He would never have been in the predicament he found himself in if he had not bee so lovely, so nice, so kind, so patient. And it was ironically this almost perfection of character that led to hid downfall as he attempted the impossible, to be-friend and be kind to Mrs Nuygen.

• Jack Saint

★★½ Watched by Jack Saint 09 May, 2015

I can't deny Bernie was a beautifully-shot film featuring some great stand-out performances from Black and McConnaughey, but I still can't help but feel this overwhelming sensation that everything about the film was ultimately throw-away. Despite having an incredibly strange, captivating True Story inspiration to draw from, Bernie seems uninterested in exploring its characters, their wider motivations or any meaningful point that can be gained from the incident in question. None of this would matter of course if the film…

• Patrick Walsh

★★★½ Watched by Patrick Walsh 05 May, 2015

This was a movie that myself and (I believe) many people passed over when it came out. I think people just thought it was another Jack Black comedy, which I think we've all had enough of.

When somebody told me this was Richard Linklater, I was both shocked and instantly interested.

It had a very memorable opening scene, which did well to set up Bernie's character. I had never heard of the true story that this film was based off,…

• maxwolf333

★★★½ Watched by maxwolf333 30 Apr, 2015

Finally someone (And not just anyone mind you, but Richard Linklater) had the common sense to bring together the best of Jack Black's talents and the charm of a good old-fashioned Texan accent. Sometime's it's the little things in life...

• Raephex

★★ Added by Raephex

Bad writing, bad acting. The trial is boring.

• Matt

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt 24 Apr, 2015

I unintentionally had a double feature about comedic actors who play small-town nice guys and end up being killers. Bernie stands as one of Linklater and Jack Black's best works and still is as funny on a repeated viewing. On second viewing, it did feel a tad dragged out story wise but it's true crime/dark comedy at it's best even though the townspeople interviews tend to become overkill.