• Jason MD-P

★★★★½ Watched by Jason MD-P 13 Sep, 2014

Didn't know a lot about this before I watched it and was really impressed. And then even more so when I saw that Linklater intercut actual interviews with folks who knew Bernie with "dramatic re-enactments" of the events of the story. It was seamless and presented very well as a completely fictional narrative, if that makes sense. Basically despite the interviews, I never felt like I got taken out of the story. Great acting in an unusual role for Black. MacLaine also did a fine job.

• Jeff Schroeck

★★★★½ Watched by Jeff Schroeck 17 Sep, 2014

I came in to this expecting comedy, but I didn't realize how many laughing out loud moments there would be. Jack Black does an incredible job. Instead of smoothing out the edge of his persona, he seems to set a lower, more subdued bar for the character that he can use his comic energy to push up against.

It took about 10-15 minutes to get comfortable with the mock/documentary style, but I mostly loved it after that.

I really loved Shirley MacLaine's withering death-stare at the woodcarver.

• Reinis Vaza

★★★★ Watched by Reinis Vaza 18 Sep, 2014

Interesanta, kičīga, neliela, humorīga filmiņa, kurā nav jāsmejās, bet tai piemīt sava veida humoriņš, naivums, slēpta, tēlaina aura.
    Interesanti gan, ka beigās izrādījās, ka nekas slēpts te nebija. Režisoram par to plusiņš.
    Jack Black ir apaļš skaistulītis filmā - lieliski.

• Dylan Powell

★★★½ Watched by Dylan Powell 17 Sep, 2014

Interesting characters spearheaded by some spectacular performances transform what could have been a very dull drama into a clever representation of small town loyalty. This isn't a typical Linklater flick (i.e. lacking consistent humor, erratic pacing) but the director's ability to churn out believable, charming characters still holds true.

• Ripplin

★★★½ Watched by Ripplin 11 Sep, 2014

Really interesting case and quite an interesting movie. Plenty of good humor and music, and fine perfomances all around, especially from Black in the title role, doing some real drama! Heh.

• John Connor

★★½ Watched by John Connor 08 Nov, 2012

Based on a true story, Linklater mixes some documentary elements into his narrative (there are snippets of interviews throughout, and several locals play themselves), which helps to break up (and pad out) what is a very simple story. The cast are game (Black is better than he's been in a while, and McConaughey continues his recent resurgence) but there's just not enough going on to keep your attention for a full 100 minutes.

• Maddi Garcia

★★★½ Watched by Maddi Garcia 05 Sep, 2014

jack black is such a good actor.,, shirley mclaine,.. wo w... and a true story ...

• Jane Firehorse

★★★½ Watched by Jane Firehorse 07 Sep, 2014

richard linklater definitely makes us sympathize with bernie in this true-crime, mockumentary-style film from 2011.

we side with the town and the murderer in large part because of jack black's phenomenal performance as the titular bernie. indeed, it was so good that the real bernie tiede was released from prison and is currently living with linklater at his home! how is that for effective (affective?) film-making!?

the victim's family are pushing back through the courts, but it's remarkable how humanized…

• Elijah Davidson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Elijah Davidson 02 Sep, 2014

What Linklater lacks in visual chops he more than makes up for in story-form playfulness. I have a feeling he'd have been a successful storyteller in any age. He just happened to be born during the age of cinema.

I'm awarding an extra half-star to Danny Buck's eye-wear.

• Dara Khan

★★★½ Watched by Dara Khan 29 Aug, 2014

This stranger-than-fiction tale got a little stranger just recently, when Bernie Tiede (played by Jack Black in the film) had his life sentence for first-degree murder overturned on the condition that he live with Richard Linklater. As Linklater tells it to Variety, it's a whole lot less lurid than what some publications may have reported, but it's also, to my mind, further proof that cinema is hardly ever separate from life.

Bernie encourages this co-mingling of fiction and fact, using…

• Jeff Stone

★★★½ Watched by Jeff Stone 30 Aug, 2014

Linklater knows how to deploy Jack Black correctly. Also, Matthew McConaughey.

• Bruce D.