• Ben Rasmin

★★★½ Watched by Ben Rasmin 30 Sep, 2015

Bernie, a comic adaptation of a bizarre real life story, is unlike anything I have seen before from Richard Linklater. Filmed in the style of a documentary, it tells the story of the murder of a wealthy 81 year old widow by mortician Bernie Tiede. The twist is that the murderer is a beloved member of the community whereas the victim is disliked by all, a fact which significantly complicates the ensuing court case. Rather than bay for the blood…

• mrainey167

★★★½ Added by mrainey167

not for everyone but black did a good job

• Kai

★★★½ Watched by Kai 04 Oct, 2015

Texans sure are funny.

• Antonio Sanchez

★★★★ Added by Antonio Sanchez

(In the words of the late Roger Ebert) I'd buy a coffin from this guy.

• Mr. Zero

★★★★ Watched by Mr. Zero 29 Sep, 2015

Shockingly good. Shirley Maclaine was flawless, as per usual. Have never been a big fan of Jack Black movies, but this is definitely an exception. I'm kind of tired of Matthew McConaughey. He has a repertoire of approximately 2 character types and this is the one I REALLY don't like. Really appreciated the style of this film. Knowing that it is a true story and that most of the interviewees are real people from this town makes it all the…

• LanternV

★★★★★ Added by LanternV

The Good:

1. Jack Blacks performance
    2. Darkly funny
    3. McConaughey's performance
    4. The structure of the story
    5. Great first act
    6. The courtroom scenes
    7. Authentic feel to it

The Bad:

1. A bit slow in the middle

The Verdict: A very unique crime biopic that's really funny.

• Al

★★★★ Added by Al

It's actually kind of amazing.

• Tyler Born

★★★½ Watched by Tyler Born 23 Sep, 2015

This film is a fun and engaging watch. This is easily Jack Black's best performance. He makes you feel that he is a good man and not a murderer. It's a really interesting story that Linklater directs wonderfully. Bernie gets a 7.5/10

• Miami Conroy

★★★★½ Watched by Miami Conroy 21 Sep, 2015

This...This is wow........
    Everything about this was captivating.
    From the way this was shot (a sort of conflict/interview format), to complex and entertaining way each character was structured and the little details of the plot that turned bigger (i.e, Mrs. Nugent's chewing).
    I feel like I've really fell in love with this film, as I was watching it I felt it holding onto me, pulling me deeper with each minute.
    I have to say my favorite part of this film…

• Tim Burnham

★★★ Watched by Tim Burnham 14 Sep, 2015

This is a darkly amusing film but it doesn't feel like Linklater brought all that much to it.
    Watching the basic and simple direction, this could have been directed by anyone.
    It's also strange watching a movie based on a well-documented true story presented almost as a moc-documentary. Constant asides and cuts to talking heads disrupt the film entirely all too often. This feels like a movie that the crew should have just made as a straight documentary.
    In short, the strength of the true story and of McConaughey's amusing performance make this an amusing, if odd and safe, film.

• jpullman

★★★★ Watched by jpullman 11 Sep, 2015

I had no idea what this was going to be about. My favorite way to see a movie! It always ups my enjoyment. I love the three actors shown on the movie poster.

• ベン

★★★½ Watched by ベン 09 Aug, 2015

This is like, the quintessential 3 1/2 star film.