• Jeffrey Allen

★★★½ Watched by Jeffrey Allen 18 Nov, 2014

Jack Black , . is very good in this. It is a black comedy. I didn't realize it until the end that it was based on a true story that I had seen on a real crime show in the past.

• buckaroo

★★ Watched by buckaroo 16 Nov, 2014

A perfectly bland movie. Nothing to hate. Nothing really to like. Billed as a comedy, but felt more like a dramatic re-enactment of a news magazine.

• Ben Lane

★★★★ Watched by Ben Lane 08 Jan, 2013

Jack Black’s performance in this based-on-a-true-story comical murder story is phenomenal and made Bernie one of the most enjoyable movies of the year. I loved it.

• mattsdad

★★ Watched by mattsdad 14 Nov, 2014 1

Yuck, what a disappointment. Droll and uninteresting, surprising for being based on a true story. Jack Black singing is clearly an acquired taste that leaves me with heartburn. Mr. Linklater you let me down (and you too Mr. Maltin for recommending this).
    Hard to believe these are the same two people that made School of Rock so great.

• The Brady Critic

★★★★½ Watched by The Brady Critic 13 Nov, 2014 1

Churchgoer: "Ms. Nugent is in a deep freezer headed for Dallas!"

The story is about Bernie Tiede was one of the town's most beloved residents. He taught Sunday school, sang in the church choir and was always willing to lend a helping hand. Everyone loved and appreciated Bernie, so it came as no surprise when he befriended Marjorie Nugent, an affluent widow who was as well known for her sour attitude as her fortune. Bernie frequently traveled with Marjorie and…

• Dave Imboden

★★★½ Watched by Dave Imboden 12 Nov, 2014

I typically prefer Linklater's brand of neorealism found in films like the Before trilogy and Boyhood, but Bernie was enjoyable. It's slow, but it's got a droll sense of humor and a lot of the townsfolk that are interviewed in the film are downright hilarious. Jack Black and of course my buddy McConaughey turn in great performances.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 05 Aug, 2012

Jack Black and Shirley MacLaine provide interesting performances in this real life crime story that proves reality is often stranger than fiction. Skillful mix of drama, faux documentary, and comedy, make this film uniquely difficult to categorize.

• Matt Jones

★★★★ Watched by Matt Jones 02 Nov, 2014

This is surreal. I cannot believe it is real. What is even more surreal is that they released Bernie into the care of Linklater! How is that a normal thing to do?

• Chris Maxwell

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Maxwell 01 Nov, 2014

Clever blend of documentary and dramatization to tell a true story. Jack Black is a delight as are the Townspeople who are mostly non-actors (Classic Linklater).

• Jared Shaw

★★★★ Watched by Jared Shaw 01 Nov, 2014

Jack Black shows that when an actor is given a good role, then they can show some serious talent at bringing wonderfully acted Performances to the big screen. This is easily Jack Blacks best performance. He plays Bernie almost perfectly. His character is extremely likable and sympathetic. You really understand what he is feeling and thinking. The rest of the movie is pretty great too. It does take a bit to really get started, but If you stay with it,…

• celery_man

★★★★★ Watched by celery_man 26 Oct, 2014

made me feel a strong feel

• Benjamin Devasir

★★★½ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 23 Oct, 2014

Exceptional performance from Jack Black almost overrides the very, very good movie Richard Linklater has put together here. Both Matthew McConaughey and Shirley MacLaine do very good jobs with their roles, but Black is the one that stands out here, going outside his comfort zone and totally immersing the audience in his scenes.

Linklater does a really great job with the script, because I'm sure if someone else had written those words and then done the casting and the directing,…