• Kylie B(uscemi)

★★★★ Watched by Kylie B(uscemi) 31 Jan, 2016

Hilarious! A good performance by Jack Black and lovable tropes and discomfort within the mockumentary style.

• TatsuyaNakadai

★★★ Watched by TatsuyaNakadai 09 Feb, 2016

Stranger-than-fiction newspaper articles don't always make for interesting feature-length stories. Jack Black is good, but the film is too light to be remembered for much. Cute, but nothing remarkable.

• jackkyser

★★★★★ Added by jackkyser

Bernie stands alongside Boyhood, Before Sunset and Dazed and Confused as one of Austinite Richard Linklater’s finest films. In this endlessly funny and sometimes achingly sad true story of small-town murder, actual locals from Carthage, Texas recount the tale of Bernie Tiede (Jack Black), a beloved small-town mortician on trial for murdering a disliked elderly woman (Shirley MacLaine).

East Texas is an area that hasn't received much cinematic attention (and an area that I hold close to my heart, having…

• Patrick

★★★½ Watched by Patrick 07 Feb, 2016

Interesting approach on telling the story.

• danykerb

★★★ Watched by danykerb 07 Feb, 2016

OV. Netflix

Ein kleiner Überraschnungstitel der verdammt schwierig zu bewerten ist.

Jack Black liefert sowohl schauspielerisch als auch gesangstechnich wieder eine überragende Performance. Matthew McConaughey macht hat als Anwalt ebenfalls eine richtig gute Rolle.

Die vielen Akzente gehen in der deutschen Synchro verloren, daher unbedingt im OV. schauen!

• Anna Smith

★★★ Added by Anna Smith

I have such mixed feelings about this. Watching it, I was like, "Hey! This is a pretty funny movie! I'm kinda into this!" Then came the end, and I saw that this was based on a true story, so naturally I looked it up and discovered that the real Bernie was not quite as amiable as Jack Black portrayed him to be, and that kind of hit a nerve. This movie dragged me through the dirt making me feel bad…

• Josh Needle

Added by Josh Needle

Like It!

• disinvite

★½ Watched by disinvite 11 Jan, 2016

All I can say is, “Awe, isn’t that nice?” Linklater was playing tee-ball with this one. Barely worth a golfclap.

• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 29 Jan, 2016

An absolutely ingenious and light-hearted black comedy from Richard Linklater about the real life murder of an evil, mean old lady in the hands of someone who just wanted to be friend as it features great performances from Jack Black in the titular role as well as Shirley MacLaine and Matthew McConaughey.

• Abhilash

★★★★ Added by Abhilash

Jack Black is a great actor, and this is a film that utilizes his range of abilities. More than anything, it's great seeing Jack Black do something like this after seeing him in his usual zany comedic roles.

• Chris Allred

★★★★★ Watched by Chris Allred 27 Jan, 2016

The most pleasant horror film ever made.

• BaronVanTheo

★★★★ Watched by BaronVanTheo 26 Jan, 2016

Jack Black as an undertaker, that was all I knew about "Bernie". You naturally would expect a modest slapstick comedy about one funny guy messing around with corpses.
    The more surprised I was as I experienced an interesting lawsuit, I had never heard of, including an entertaining but slightly critical look upon the southern states, emerging questions about ethics and... a Paul Bearer lookalike.
    Clear recommendation, especially if you avoid to inform yourself about the plot and backround too much!