• Louie Velez

★★★★ Watched by Louie Velez 30 Apr, 2016

A fine film that mixes documentary with black comedy.

Jack Black is doing stellar work and the use of locals from the true story is such a fantastic touch that it really pushed the movie from a 3 1/2 to a 4.

True crime stories aren't usually my thing, the same can be said about the type of shows this movie was made to mirror but I really enjoyed this film quite a bit.

• James H

★★★★½ Rewatched by James H 22 Apr, 2016

This film is still a surprise. Jack Black gives a surprisingly good performance in a film that surprisingly well mixes mockumentary, documentary, biopic and black comedy. Matthew McConaughey and Shirley MacLaine are great as well. There's so many great parts to the film, and I'd much rather watch something like this than Boyhood. Excuse the horrible poster for the film and I think you'll enjoy it.

• Ben Lott

★★★½ Watched by Ben Lott 26 Apr, 2016

This is an interesting mix of documentary and biopic, to the point where they really blur the lines between the two. You start to lose touch with what is real and what is scripted. The reason is that it includes interviews with people who actually knew Bernie, but also shows the events that happened to him with people like Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine, and Matthew McConaughey in the lead roles. I enjoyed the feel of this movie because it was…

• La Pantalla Invisible
  • Kath Go

★★★ Watched by Kath Go 24 Apr, 2016

It's refreshing to see a gold-digger who's a man -- the main character in this film, Bernie, who plays opposite Shirley MacLaine's nagging millionairess. Bernie is a funeral director, sincere and beloved by all, whose sexuality is the subject of small-town gossip. We get that gossip through interviews with townsfolk in documentary style. Adding to the realism are the actors who actually look like real Americans -- there are more obese and overweight people in this film than all the…

• andy_cahill

★★★½ Watched by andy_cahill 13 Jan, 2013

Richard Linklater’s Bernie is the story of Bernhardt ‘Bernie’ Tiede (Jack Black), the assistant mortician in the small town of Carthage, Texas, who despite all appearances to the contrary (he is literally a choir boy) finds himself on the wrong side of a murder investigation (well, one of the wrong sides) when a wealthy but reclusive widow, who also happens to be the manager of the local mom and pop bank, goes missing. Refreshingly, for the story of a small…

• ChinOfTarantino

★★★ Watched by ChinOfTarantino 23 Apr, 2016

Not too bad, a little strange, Jack Black is pretty good.

• miketwest

Watched by miketwest 20 Apr, 2016

"Tiede currently resides in Austin, Texas, in filmmaker Richard Linklater's garage apartment, which was a condition of his release."

What?

• manuelromo

★★★ Watched by manuelromo 18 Apr, 2016

Curiosa mezcla de falso documental y comedia costumbrista sureña, basada en un hecho real bastante macabro que Linklater convierte en una (deliciosa) freakada

• Mattias Momrak

★★★★ Watched by Mattias Momrak 17 Apr, 2016

"It's not as bad as people say it is. He only shot her four times, not five"

• Aerto

★★★½ Added by Aerto

Good

View

• Zach Smith

★★★½ Added by Zach Smith

I went into this movie expecting it to not be good as a few friends gave me some bad impressions. I was somewhat surprised to find a movie with solid acting, an interesting structure and themes of authenticity, justice and death.

Authenticity - Perhaps it was only me, but throughout the entire movie I was waiting for the twist, the reason Bernie killed Mrs. Nugent. Maybe he's the sadistic, money grubbing psychopath that Danny Buck makes him out to be.…