• Zorato

★★½ Watched by Zorato 22 Nov, 2015

Based on a true story, this faux-documentary is about the life of a fat man who is portrayed by another fat man.

• Taylor Gilbert

★★★★ Watched by Taylor Gilbert 23 Nov, 2015

Joyfully morbid, Bernie is a really impressive film with a top-notch performance from Jack Black.

There's something nice about how nuanced and soft this film was - the comedy comes from the small-town personalities and truthful nature of it all, it's never pointing it out to the audience.

Will 100% watch this again.

• nicksav

★★★★ Added by nicksav

Jack Black gives a career best performance in Richard Linklater's retelling of a truly bizarre and remarkable true story.

• Bryan Reeves

Techs 16/20
    Entertainment 17/20

• Mark Herring

★★★★ Watched by Mark Herring 16 Nov, 2015

Dark comedy at its finest. Jack Black gives one of his best performances as the quirky title character and unlikely murderer.

• tylers

★★½ Watched by tylers 15 Nov, 2015

Cuentillo con partes de tipo documental basado en hechos reales que Linklater nos trajo mientras andaba rodando uno de los últimos años de "Boyhood". Me pareció en general bastante descafeinada la verdad, aunque tiene momentos bastante graciosos y reconozco que es un interesante retrato de una pequeña y cínica comunidad religiosa absorbida por el carisma de un hombre dedicado y carismático con el que, sin embargo, no acabo de conectar.

• John-Michael Sequeira

Watched by John-Michael Sequeira 10 Nov, 2015

Only in Texas. Jack Black runs circles around this thing, and anyone who doubts his dramatic chops owes it another look. Linklater's always throwing changeups, but this comes totally out of nowhere. It's not going to change your life (unless you're Bernie Tiede), but it's a savvy slice of oddball southern "stranger than fiction."

Bonus: the McConaissance is in full swing.

• Shawnzy5000

★★★★½ Watched by Shawnzy5000 09 Nov, 2015

A fantastic and award-worthy performance from Jack Black, who is never given enough credit for his talent.

• Serge The Movie Guy

★★★★ Watched by Serge The Movie Guy 08 Nov, 2015

This was a pretty interesting movie. I like it's blend of comedy and crime. In the end, I have mixed feelings about Bernie Tiede. I do believe what he did was wrong, but I don't think he is a bad person. I think he was just misunderstood. We are all misunderstood in our own ways. We do crazy things sometimes. And in some cases, really crazy things. That's all I have to say.

8.4/10 (B+)

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• GCF

★★★★ Watched by GCF 18 Jun, 2015

A black comedy were both Shirley MacLaine and Jack Black should have been more widely recognized for their roles. The fact that they are not is a bit of a crime.

My favorite scene has to be the beginning one with Bernie (Jack Black) dressing up a body preparing it for its funeral. It's so strangely tender, bizarre, and whimsical. And that is basically how you can describe the whole movie.

• paul

★★★½ Watched by paul 06 Nov, 2015 2

Based upon a true story of a murder in the small, east Texas town of Carthage, Richard Linklater tells the tale of the titular character mainly through interviews with the populace (both real and imagined), which serves as a looking glass, not only into the character of Bernie, but the ethos of a small town where everyone seems to know everyone else and everyone else’s business.

It is Linklater’s subtle skewering of small town life that is almost the real…