• Ran37

★★★★ Added by Ran37

I love when I find the perfect movie to fit my mood. On the flip side, I hate when I watch a terrific movie that doesn't fit my mood. Unfortunately for me, I watched Bernie when I was in a weird and distracted mood. It wasn't until about an hour after I finished watching that it occurred to me: Bernie is a really fantastic movie. I will watch it again to fully appreciate it but even my sub-par viewing was enough to highly recommend this one.

• gregkirk

★★★★ Added by gregkirk

A slow starter which gets more and more intriguing until by the end its a winner. Read the Wikipedia article about the real life Bernie afterwards - especially what happened after the film got made.

• zkorpi

Rewatched by zkorpi 16 Dec, 2014

Love the first half. The second half is a little light on engagement and interest. Overall, great though.

• panos75

★★★½ Added by panos75

Mortician Bernie Tiede arrives one day at an East Texas town and after a while becomes its most beloved citizen. But things take an unexpected turn when he decides to pursue a friendship with a rich widow.

Charming little dramedy by Richard Linklater with a colorful array of unforgettable characters. Jack Black renounces his rude, manic persona and gives a surprisingly sweet, affectionate and emotional performance as Bernie, a guy who just loves to make other people happy.
    He is…

• jdetrick

★★★★½ Watched by jdetrick 03 Dec, 2014

Have we all agreed yet that Richard Linklater is one of our greatest working directors? Because we really should. This movie achieves the near impossible, by blending footage of actors portraying real people with other real people talking about the real people the actors are portraying. It should be awkward, but it never is. Linklater also gets a relatively subdued performance from Jack Black and kudos to him for that. A fascinating story, translated to the screen very successfully.

• Michael

★★★½ Watched by Michael 14 Jun, 2012

Richard Linklater dips his toe into the Coen Brothers' style in giving us an endearing and amusing fictionalized account of funeral director Bernie Tiede's rise and fall in an East Texas town. The underlying complexities of the tale are seldom addresses head-on but left for the viewer to discover in the hints, evasions, and avoidances of the townspeople who adore Bernie.

Jack Black's performance is a treasure. Shirley MacLaine plays the bitter old woman stereotype to a T but hints…

• Jessica Page

★★★★ Added by Jessica Page

I really enjoyed this film!! The interviews of the townspeople combined with the dramatization and cast performances was a great way to tell this story! (and I think Jack Black is somehow even more adorable with a Southern accent)

• Tony D'Amico

★★★½ Watched by Tony D'Amico 09 Dec, 2014

Film 30 of "The December Challenge 3"
    104 minutes (2707 total)
    1st time watch

I was familiar with Bernie for some time now and I had already seen a true crime documentary on the real story a couple years ago. So I in essence knew everything about the story. Reviews I had either heard or read were mostly positive and I always enjoy watching Jack Black act with his physical comedy usually shining. He actually was really good in a…

• Sasha James

★½ Watched by Sasha James 04 Dec, 2014

Didn't seem like very much.

• Bizon

★★★½ Watched by Bizon 28 Nov, 2014

Enjoyable, but slight. I wonder what this could have been like without the kid gloves.

• Eboolas

★★ Watched by Eboolas 27 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• MovieMan23

★★★ Added by MovieMan23

Ok movie, kinda forgettable.