• Benjamin Devasir

★★★½ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 23 Oct, 2014

Exceptional performance from Jack Black almost overrides the very, very good movie Richard Linklater has put together here. Both Matthew McConaughey and Shirley MacLaine do very good jobs with their roles, but Black is the one that stands out here, going outside his comfort zone and totally immersing the audience in his scenes.

Linklater does a really great job with the script, because I'm sure if someone else had written those words and then done the casting and the directing,…

• Ian Thornell

★★★ Watched by Ian Thornell 18 Oct, 2014

Quirky, but enjoyable. Just missing a little something extra.

• Kirk Gospel

★★★½ Watched by Kirk Gospel 16 Oct, 2014

The good: Jack Black
    The bad: The forgone conclusion.

During the movie we have interviews with various towns folk who talk about certain people in the past tense so even if you're not aware of the real story the movies based on you know where it's going.

Jack Black comes along every now and then between his awful movies and gives an exceptional performance.

• Koner

Watched by Koner 13 Oct, 2014

Wanted to Bernmie eyes out watching it.

• DrAwesome

★★★★ Added by DrAwesome

I find a lot of Linklater's dramas charming, but awkward, like a precocious high school film student's work. But a dark comedy? This is where the awkward can really shine! More dark comedies from Richard Linklater, please!

• feedingbrett

★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 06 Oct, 2014 13

Included In Lists:
    Strong Performances - Jack Black

Review In A Nutshell:

Bernie would mark as the third film I have seen from director, Richard Linklater; with the first two being School of Rock and Dazed and Confused. Those two films are examples of near to perfect productions that I was convinced that Linklater was a genius who potentially could do no wrong in filmmaking; especially since some of the films I haven't seen from him are so well received,…

• Jon Baum

★★★★ Watched by Jon Baum 04 Oct, 2014

Im near confident Linklater white balanced his camera to yellow for the entirety of this film.

• Matthew Murnan

★★★★ Watched by Matthew Murnan 29 Sep, 2014

I hadn't heard much about the story of Bernie Tiede going into this movie. I really enjoyed Jack Black’s performance, using some of his trademark energy with the right amount of restraint to paint a compelling portrait, definitely one of his best. Interviewing the Carthage locals provided a lot of hilarious moments. Naturally, I read the Wiki right after the movie and was blown away to discover that Tiede had been released from prison in May of 2014, as a…

• Bevacqua

★★★½ Watched by Bevacqua 24 Sep, 2014

The performances of the real life East Texas locals and Jack Black's straight-faced portrayal of Bernie Tiede propel this simple yet effective documentary style character study.

• Patricia Carol

★★★★ Rewatched by Patricia Carol 22 Aug, 2014

This was the second in our Richard Linklater double feature and I still loved it as much as the first time. I think Jack Black would have made a great musical picture star* if that was still happening in the movie world today. I think the scene where the guy at the lunch counter explains the different parts of Texas to us is my favorite of the locals.

Cost: Netflix DVD prince

Where watched: at C & M's. M declined to watch this one and actually didn't watch it.

*As observed by someone, perhaps Richard Linklater.

• kicker1015

★★★★½ Watched by kicker1015 22 Sep, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 21 Oct, 2013

Inspired by an unbelievable true story, Richard Linklater’s Bernie was an uneven film that didn’t take advantage of its good cast nor did it have solid writing to back it up either. I was expecting at first a quirky sort of comedy (and it looked like [a not very funny] one at first) but not too long into the movie I realized it would be a drama instead, but sadly it wasn’t a good one.

Many things went wrong with…