• Christopher Murphy

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Murphy 23 Jul, 2014

Jack Black puts on a bravura performance as a mild-mannered undertaker who wouldn't hurt a fly… except… well…

• Jeff Irvine

★★★★ Watched by Jeff Irvine 11 Jul, 2014

This was such a good movie, and Jack Black has never been better. He plays a funeral director at a mortuary, who is beloved by the entire town. This is a smart, well made black comedy that I really enjoyed!

• Dominic Cobb

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dominic Cobb 21 Jul, 2014

I don't know what's up with all y'alls, but this is still my favorite Linklater film. Granted, that will likely change when I see Boyhood, and I do agree that there's a lot of greatness in the Before trilogy, I still enjoy this one the most, and it makes an interesting commentary on what is just, and whether a life lived well makes up for a 'huge' sin.

• Lyzette

★★★★ Watched by Lyzette 21 Jul, 2014

I've noticed that very often comedians put on their best acting performances in comedies with a bit of a darker tone. I've observed this with Adam Sandler (Punch-Drunk Love), Will Ferrell (Stranger Than Fiction), Jim Carrey (I Love You Phillip Morris), and now Jack Black in Bernie, his second collaboration with director Richard Linklater. I'm not the biggest fan of Black, with School of Rock previously being the one thing I genuinely enjoy him in. However, he gives off a…

• James

★★★★½ Rewatched by James 19 Jul, 2014

I'm going to go ahead and say that this is Jack Black's best performance. He is subtly flamboyant and is completely different from any other film he's done. Bernie is directed by Richard Linklater, who also directed Black in School of Rock. The style of direction in the film is very good, almost like a docudrama. Overall, it's a very good film which adapts a true story to screen in an unusual yet brilliant way.

• John

★★★½ Watched by John 17 Jul, 2014

I first watched School of Rock sometime in middle school. It inspired me to listen to more classic rock, and really broadened my taste in music. It also forever cemented Jack Black as "the School of Rock guy." No matter what other roles he took, he was never as good as he was in that movie; nothing was as heartfelt, realistic, nor simply suited for his larger-than-life personality, I felt.
    After watching Bernie, I'm not so sure that I'll think…

• Parker

★★★½ Watched by Parker 15 Jul, 2014

Crimes in the south are always the most interesting kind somehow.

• Melody

★★★★ Watched by Melody 13 Jul, 2014

Like the other Richard Linklater/Jack Black movie School of Rock, this story almost certainly wouldn't have turned out the same in other hands. I marked The Newton Boys a little below my actual level of enjoyment when I reviewed it mainly because I felt sure Linklater could do even better with the morally complex stuff and a decade or so certainly brought it out of him.

It's hard to tell after the bad thing happens here if Linklater is saying…

• Peter Cox

★★★½ Watched by Peter Cox 11 Jul, 2014

Even when he seems most at ease, Linklater is still pushing his own boundaries. Here he presents this unlikely but apparently true story through the blurred lines of the mockumentary. Jack Black, Shirley MacLaine and Matthew McConnaughey add great colour to the cast. While not among the director's finest, it is not to be overlooked either.

• samarthbhaskar

★★★★ Watched by samarthbhaskar 10 Jul, 2014

In preparation to see BOYHOOD this weekend. I'm so excited for this film.

• RagingTaxiDriver

★★★ Watched by RagingTaxiDriver 10 Jul, 2014 1

While it didn't improve on a rewatch, it certainly didn't diminish my feelings towards it.

Linklater really nails the Texas persona with this docu-comedy hybrid. It also features Jack Black's best performance that makes me wish that he'd do more roles like this.

It's a wild - if not hyperbolic - view at the state of relationships/marriage and how one person always needs to be in complete control; which can only lead to the other person snapping like Bernie did.

• Daniel Sarath

★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Sarath 09 Jul, 2014

Most directors tasked with a script like this would end up making fun of the small town values of Carthage, Texas. Not Richard Linklater. He has such compassion in his heart for the townspeople of his home state. This is very amusing, very entertaining work.