• Mads Dahl Mølgaard Madsen

★★★ Watched by Mads Dahl Mølgaard Madsen 24 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Will Sattelberg

★★★½ Rewatched by Will Sattelberg 25 Jan, 2015

Is it weird to use the phrase "quirky fun" about a film where the main character murders an old woman?

• Eric B

★★★★ Added by Eric B

Anyone ever notice how Linklater 's films always start with a B? Bernie, Bad News Bears, the "Before" trilogy, Boyhood, Bschool of Rock... weird.

• Caleb Herring

★★★★ Watched by Caleb Herring 22 Jan, 2015

Jack Black was great.

• David Smith

★★★★ Watched by David Smith 22 Jan, 2015

As someone who worked for years in small southern towns, I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and setting Linklater captured with this one. The mockumentary style was fun, granted, I'm a fan of the genre as a whole. I did also enjoy the acting from Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey, who both seemed to be having great fun with their roles.

• Magdiel Jobad

★★★★ Rewatched by Magdiel Jobad 04 Sep, 2014

• jdue

★★★★ Rewatched by jdue 20 Jan, 2015

"They're making it out worse than it really is. He only shot her four times, not five."

While Boyhood is an excellent movie and a practice in what cinema can achieve in new and exciting ways, Bernie is just more fun and might be my favorite over the two. You can't help but like and empathize with Bernie and want for him to literally get away with murder.

• TheMovieCave

★★★½ Watched by TheMovieCave 19 Jan, 2015

Bernie is an enjoyable film from Richard Linklater about a likable/friendly mortician who strikes up a friendship with a wealthy widow, only to have his life become controlled. He then goes to great lengths to unbind this friendship.

Like many of Linklater's films, "Bernie" revolves around time. Shot in a mockumantary fashion set around interviews intertwine with the events in discussion.

I'm not the biggest Jack Black fan. I feel he rarely gives anything, but himself in his roles. However,…

• Zach Skov

★★★★½ Watched by Zach Skov 19 Jan, 2015

"Can I tell you I am not fond of cremations. I just don't like the idea of someone spending eternity in something the size of a motel ice bucket."

I'm surprised that Bernie took me so long to finally watch, it's been in my Netflix que for months now. It was a very well done movie, both Matthew McConaughey and Jack Black were amazing in it. I really like seeing Jack Black outside of comedic roles. The film goes to…

• Will Osborn

★★★★ Watched by Will Osborn 18 Jan, 2015

As far as I know, "Bernie" is Jack Black's greatest role. He is an immediately affable character and a lovely one, too. He never grates against the audience. It is actually quite disorienting to see Jack Black play a straight (well, maybe not, as some characters postulate), reserved, and sweet guy. One is left with baited breath for the first half hour of the film waiting for the other shoe to drop and have Bernie Tiede turn into Dewey Finn…

• Thomas

★★★ Watched by Thomas 17 Jan, 2015

"He only shot her four times, not five."

Bernie is a very mediocre film in most fields. Cinematography, score, story, etc. Where it does stand out is, surprisingly, Jack Black's performance. Assuming from a small clip during the credits, Black spent a lot of time with the real Bernie and brought his characteristics and mannerisms to the screen. If it wasn't for him, I probably would've turned this off about twenty minutes in.

Linklater opts for this strange docu-drama method…

• Dennis O'Connor

★★★½ Watched by Dennis O'Connor 16 Jan, 2015

Bernie is a true story that is funny and enjoyable. The story lacks much substance at all but that doesn't stop Bernie from being very enjoyable and a very good watch. Oh and Jack Black gives an excellent performance.