• Patrick Pryor

★★★½ Watched by Patrick Pryor 19 Apr, 2014

The incorporation of real interviews with townspeople, accurate lampooning of some types of Texans, and a dialed-down Jack Black help this stand out from other "strange, but true" crime films

•  Justin Purwitsky

★★★½ Watched by Justin Purwitsky 19 Apr, 2014

Bernie is a great film that leaves you guessing to the very end. What will be the verdict? If you know the true story I guess you'll know the outcome but if you don't then you are in for a real treat.

Great acting, especially by Jack Black, great directing and a great realistic look all add credence to this well written and well staged mystery drama comedy hybrid.

Other than the three main cast members the film is filled…

• Gert Verbeek

★★★ Watched by Gert Verbeek 21 Jan, 2013

Bernie heeft echt te bestaan als we de archiefbeelden tijdens de aftiteling van de gelijknamige film mogen geloven. Het relaas over zijn misdaad zou een aardige reportage van een half uur hebben kunnen opleveren. Als speelfilm is het een anekdote op speelfilmlengte. Regisseur Richard Linklater (o.a. Slacker, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset) volgt teveel de feiten, lijkt het. Jack Black is in de titelrol redelijk op dreef als fanatieke, ietwat verwijfde assistent van een begrafenisondernemer. Alle dorpsbewoners zijn dol op hem…

• Shawn Stubbs

★★★★ Watched by Shawn Stubbs 16 Apr, 2014

Jack Black's performance is excellent and the story is told in such a compelling and unique way.

• gnew18

★★★ Added by gnew18 1

At first one thinks he is watching a mockumentary, then one finds this was based on a true story, replete with Jack Black meeting in prison with Bernie.

• Cinemaddict

★★★★ Watched by Cinemaddict 07 Apr, 2014 4

Whoa, Jack Black is fantastic in this! I have to say I was not expecting that. He plays an ambiguously gay undertaker, beloved by all in his community, who becomes sort of a life partner to a rich old widow that everyone in town hates. The widow is bitter and hateful, and... well I'll stop there just in case you're going into this cold.

It's based on a true story, and it's filmed as a faux-documentary with actual townspeople playing…

• Hassan Vawda

★★★½ Rewatched by Hassan Vawda 10 Apr, 2014

This was a treat of a film. The cinematic chameleon Richard Linklater twines around his idiosyncratic roots by stepping in to reality and carving out fiction in a heartfelt, entertaining and slightly tragic piece of work -similar in some ways, if far less depth and poignancy, to Kiarostami’s masterpiece ‘Close-up’.

And it doesn't matter if it doesn't go into the narrative with a documentary or purely poetic agenda to touch and explore the entire pool, but it gently bobs in…

• Jordan Harper

★★★★ Watched by Jordan Harper 17 Mar, 2014

Brilliantly constructed and fascinating story, where fact and fiction (or more precisely, actors and documentary interviews) are blended seamlessly. Jack Black has not been better.

• SikeChick

★★★★ Added by SikeChick

I'm not normally a Jack Black fan, but decided to watch this because I am familiar with the true story. Glad I didn't skip this because it's really funny, well-acted little flick.

• Rory Everett

★★★★★ Added by Rory Everett

A true story - told with this hilarious and gentle film . Jack Black is brilliant . Can you love a murderer? I think you might ...

• Lucas

★★★ Watched by Lucas 02 Mar, 2014

I might have been too tired for it but man fuck this movie. The style was awesome but the story was insanely inconsequential.

• JoelOhsteen

★★★½ Added by JoelOhsteen

Jack Black can act, really cool mocumentery/ dark comedy, jack black movie. whatever go watch it, its on netflix