• Dara Khan

★★★½ Watched by Dara Khan 29 Aug, 2014

This stranger-than-fiction tale got a little stranger just recently, when Bernie Tiede (played by Jack Black in the film) had his life sentence for first-degree murder overturned on the condition that he live with Richard Linklater. As Linklater tells it to Variety, it's a whole lot less lurid than what some publications may have reported, but it's also, to my mind, further proof that cinema is hardly ever separate from life.

Bernie encourages this co-mingling of fiction and fact, using…

• Jeff Stone

★★★½ Watched by Jeff Stone 30 Aug, 2014

Linklater knows how to deploy Jack Black correctly. Also, Matthew McConaughey.

• Bruce D.

★★★ Watched by Bruce D. 23 Jul, 2014

Netflix Instant

• Brittany Fox

★★★½ Watched by Brittany Fox 29 Aug, 2014

Bernie is a movie I knew absolutely nothing about. I think from the poster alone I assumed Jack Black was playing someone who's mentally challenged, but it turned out to be something very different. It's actually a movie that is part true-crime, part comedy, and if I'm being honest a little perplexing in it's message. Perhaps I'm looking for a deeper meaning in a film where there isn't one, but there is just something about it that doesn't seem right…

• Junior Bruce

★★★½ Watched by Junior Bruce 28 Aug, 2014

Richard Linklater's Bernie is a difficult film to process. Based on real events, it tells the story of Carthage, Texas's beloved mortician, Bernie Tiede (Jack Black) and his fatal shooting of elderly rich widow, Mrs. Nugent (Shirley McClaine). This film is equal parts intriguing character study, and grotesque exploitation.

On the surface Bernie is about the titular character's relationship with his elderly friend, but it's really not. Bernie is actually about the town, and its citizens, and how even in…

• Clint Worthington

★★★★ Rewatched by Clint Worthington 25 Aug, 2014

Linklater blurs the line between docudrama and true crime documentary with this folksy, charming and shockingly dark Jack Black vehicle. The use of real Carthage citizens as talking heads (and even actors in scenes opposite Black and others) is inspired, as their down-home charm is right at home alongside Black's Cheshire Cat smile and heavenly voice.

Don't forget, also, that this was one of the early films of the McConaissance - McConaughey's really fun here, especially in hindsight, as he plays Danny Buck like a sane, clean-cut Rust Cohle. Is Bernie Tiede the real Carcossa?

• Scott Audetat

★★★½ Watched by Scott Audetat 25 Aug, 2014

Kind of a fun little movie that in style reminded me a lot of DROP DEAD GORGEOUS. Like it had a plot going on, but also had a ton of random interviews.

The three leads were all great. I usually don't care for Black but he was very likable here and you actually felt sorry for him when MacLaine started letting lose on him. McConuaghey was such a weasel here, but so good.

It's one of those movies you can sense how it will end but you keep hoping it won't end that way.

• sjl

★★★½ Watched by sjl 23 Aug, 2014

"They took the jet skis."
    Oh honey, this movie. Not entirely successful, but as they say, it's close enough for gummit work.

• M. Wilk

★★★½ Watched by M. Wilk 22 Aug, 2014

Funny and sympathetic movie that unfortunately lost its momentum about halfway through. I enjoyed the interviews with the local townsfolk (some of whom were supposedly real Carthage, Tx residents who were involved with the real Bernie saga) but perhaps a few of those could have been trimmed to keep the pace up. However, many of those interviews were very funny and distinguished this movie from other gentle, darker comedies, imbuing it with sincerity and sweetness. Jack Black and Shirley MacLaine performed excellently with good, believable chemistry.

• Jack Dignan

★★★★½ Added by Jack Dignan

What I learnt from watching Bernie: being a nice person gives you a greater chance of getting away with murder. There, I said it.

• Matthew Hodgkin

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Hodgkin 20 Aug, 2014

This film is so sure to tell you its a true story its almost annoying, but its entertaining and funny though out. Playing on the pure laughter factor of the people of Texas it takes a documentary (mockumentry) approach of telling you the story. Black is great, the character is unbelievable. The fact this is a true story is why the film works.

• Jonathan Edney

★★★½ Watched by Jonathan Edney 27 Jul, 2014

An amusing film that sees Richard Linklater team up with Jack Black once more. Black plays Bernie, a real-life funeral director who is the neighbourhood's favourite guy but on feeling trapped in a relationship with a elderly client, kills her. However, the neighbourhood loves him so much that the prosecuting DA has to take the case elsewhere to be tried, otherwise Bernie would probably get away with it! The documentary style adds some faux-realism to the retelling of a true story and it raises interesting questions about the justice system but also, to a smaller extent, about faith and wrongdoing.