• Casper de Geus

• Sigfred Storstrand

★★★★½ Watched by Sigfred Storstrand 23 May, 2016 1

Film #30 of my May 2016 Scavenger Hunt
    Task #8 - A low budget, high concept sci-fi film

IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE TRAILER FOR THIS MOVIE, DROP EVERYTHING YOU ARE CURRENTLY DOING AND WATCH THE SHIT OUT OF IT, AND IF YOU DONT CRAVE WATCHING THIS MOVIE AFTER SEEING THIS I DONT KNOW HOW YOU CAN BE HELPED

For real though, this is one of the most beautiful things i have ever witnessed in my entire life. Its completely…

• Javal minor Minor, Jones, Blades

★★★★★ Rewatched by Javal minor Minor, Jones, Blades 19 May, 2016

Artistically this is beautiful, there's no big intricate story, but for those that are into narratives based on on screen progression, who enjoy color, intricate designs, and some 80s vibe, this is a go to movie.

• Valentina Tatton

★★ Watched by Valentina Tatton 18 May, 2016

Film #11 of the May Scavenger Hunt
    Task #8 A low budget, high concept sci-fi film (ex. Circle, Cube, Time Lapse, Primer, Coherence, Triangle etc)

I wanted to love this film. I really, truly did. Unfortunately while there's a lot to like in 'Beyond the Black Rainbow' the sluggish, dream-like narrative drags it down, at least in my view. I have no trouble understanding why someone would love this film, especially if you are the kind of person who appreciates…

• Crim

★★ Watched by Crim 14 May, 2016

Visually arresting, interesting production design, glorious close-ups of an overacting lead actor, it all amounts to pretty much nothing. A very pretty nothing, though. It would have been an amazing short film as it relies entirely on atmosphere and the sketchiest of disjointed plot scenes, but at almost 2 hours it overplays this hand. At around the halfway mark I thought that almost any of the previous scenes could have been cut without the movie losing anything. There was also…

• Justin Robert Vinall

★★★½ Watched by Justin Robert Vinall 13 May, 2016

Pure 80's at its finest. "Beyond the Black Rainbow" is a bizarre art house film with science fiction elements paying homage from Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch and George Lucas.

It's visually a captivating movie but lacks any real emotional core. However the theme of "Finding happiness" is present even if it is looked at in a very frail light.

• 5oil

Added by 5oil

80's synth-pop + thx 1138 + enter the void + 2001 a space odyssey + telephone sex with a pervert + tom cruise = beyond the black rainbow

• Smapti

★★★★½ Added by Smapti

Beyond the Black Rainbow is the only 80s throwback movie that matters. Here are two reasons why.
    (1) Panos Cosmatos, god bless him, is not joking around here. It's exceptionally difficult to nail that very particular feeling of late 70s/early 80s retrofuturism, a style that feels both ancient and eerily prescient. The moment you nudge the viewer in the ribs to let them know you're kidding, you've fucked it all up. Although I was a kid in the early 80s…

• JoshBischof

Watched by JoshBischof 01 May, 2016

Kubrick is alive

• Joe

★★★ Watched by Joe 01 May, 2016

As an exercise in style and atmosphere it's well done. Everything else about it was lacking so it's definitely one where there's a lot of style, but not a lot of substance.

• Ryland Dinneen

★★½ Watched by Ryland Dinneen 28 Apr, 2016

lol i love vsco cam! toaster filter mm

ALL JOKES ASIDE !

I had high hopes. I'm just upset that this movie put so much thought into its look and its aesthetic and its design that it completely ignored any trace of a plot. Yeah there's a premise (albeit not really an interesting or original one), but we float through complete nothingness for a very, very long time before anything really happens. And even when that happens, does it really?…

• Robbie G

★★★★ Watched by Robbie G 28 Apr, 2016

Atmospheric and unsettling. Paced incredibly slowly which builds a lot of tension that results in some eerie and at times horrifying imagery. I loved how it was shot and it reminded me of a Kubrick world.