• Shaun Munro

★★ Watched by Shaun Munro 03 Mar, 2015

Probably one of the best-looking bad films I've ever seen, and I'm pretty sure I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I had some weed handy.

Still, there's just nothing here from a narrative perspective that's unique or interesting, and the lethargic pace certainly doesn't help. Yes, the cinematography is lovely and the synth score crackles, but it's pure style over substance, and ambles along agonisingly slowly.

It would much better suit a 30-40 minute short film format.

• John Ryan

★★★½ Watched by John Ryan 28 Feb, 2015

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this movie. I think it might require a second viewing in order to form a full fledged opinion. On one hand, this was quite the visual experience. Paired with the score it takes you on a wild trip. One the other hand, I can't help but feel like something is lacking, in terms of the plot and depth of character.

• Doug L.

Watched by Doug L. 27 Feb, 2015

Beyond the Black Rainbow is a neo-cult movie from Canada and I checked it out last night. I have ZERO idea what it was about but it looked good. Done up in early 80's aesthetic with synth soundtrack, practical effects and even digital "noise" in the form of scratchy lines and specks on the picture like an old movie would have. This is definitely a WTF caliber film. It is not fast paced for sure but it keeps you involved.I…

• Negative Creep

★★★★ Watched by Negative Creep 27 Feb, 2015

What. a. trip. This movie completely overwhelmed me with its stunning visuals, hypnotizing soundtrack and originality. Although some people will feel bothered by the lack of information about the plot, I certainly wanted to know more about those characters and try and understand their actions, because we're all used to a pattern in the movies we watch.

It doesn't matter because it's movies like "Beyond the Black Rainbow" that remind us that cinema can also be a complete subjective and abstract experience, and at times feel more like a succession of moods and visual trips than a simple story with beginning, climax and end (Kubrick anyone?).

• Matthew Bowers

★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew Bowers 24 Feb, 2015

Not as mind-blowing the second time around, but still gorgeous and unsettling.

• JaumeMuntane

Watched by JaumeMuntane 23 Feb, 2015

Perfecte com a somnifer.

Just perfect as a sleeping pill.

• Marna Larsen

★★★ Added by Marna Larsen

What did I like about this? It went on way too long. WAY too long and very little really happened (and what did happen made no sense whatsoever). I don't know. I can't explain it. It just grabbed me.

• horrorfan

Watched by horrorfan 16 Feb, 2015

My primitive mind simply could not wrap itself around this film.

• JesseSP

★★½ Watched by JesseSP 14 Feb, 2015

There's a fine line between mesmerizing and boring.

• Andrew Brien

★★★★ Rewatched by Andrew Brien 15 Feb, 2015

BTBR is all kinds of crazy. It takes Kubrick's visual style, Lynch-like incoherence and throws a Carpenter-esque score behind it to create one messed up film.

The pace is very slow but it works well to create an almost hypnotic effect with the pulsing soundtrack.

Michael Rogers creates a truly creepy villian. It's tough to watch him at times because he's just that weird.

BTBR is a late night drug trip that is all about the experience.

• James Kujawa

★★½ Watched by James Kujawa 12 Feb, 2015

It's a gorgeous and vibrant world that is uniquely its own, with warm, burnt out colors to combat a freezing cold core, but it feels more like an art installation than a film. The sound and aesthetic keep the film's head above water, but there's really nothing to grab a hold of. I can appreciate the Midnight Movie-ness of it all, but it can't quite transcend.

• David Bernath

★★★★ Watched by David Bernath 11 Feb, 2015

Loved it! Weird and wonderful, a distinctive vision.