• Taylor Kimmett

★★★ Watched by Taylor Kimmett 30 Jun, 2015

This movie is undeserving of such a cool title. Throughout this there was an irking sense that the creators were trying very hard to be smart and cool, and that ultimately leads to a lackluster product. The score is too overbearingly synthy, the sets are cookie cutter dystopian sci-fi, and the reach of the film falls somewhere, perhaps before the black rainbow. If I thought this movie was trying to be just a throwback type affair, I might be less…

• Eathan

★★★★½ Watched by Eathan 26 Jun, 2015

An extremely bizarre and slow moving throw back to 70s and 80s scifi. Beautifully shot and framed, and makes a fantastic use of colour. Has a feeling of droning menace throughout, and definitely not for everyone.

• urdummheiten

★★★★ Watched by urdummheiten 22 Jun, 2015

I hope you like Klaus Schulze style ambient, because this is basically an extended music video. Also Venom!

Space ambient and old school black metal... did Fenriz direct this?

• captainblicero

★★★★½ Added by captainblicero

"I began to write fiction on the assumption that the true enemies of the novel were plot, character, setting and theme, and having once abandoned these familiar ways of thinking about fiction, totality of vision or structure was really all that remained." --John Hawkes, novelist

• SJHoneywell

★★ Added by SJHoneywell

Striking visuals,
    But I have no idea
    What the damn thing means.

• unclenugget

Watched by unclenugget 15 Jun, 2015

A very well crafted film stylistically, but being honest I struggled a bit to get into it.

• Tobias Belliard

★★★★ Watched by Tobias Belliard 13 Jun, 2015

holy cows

• Shawna of the Shire

★★ Watched by Shawna of the Shire 14 Jun, 2015

Love the neon throwback look of it but I found this really dull.

• MasterPike

★★★ Watched by MasterPike 12 Jun, 2015 3

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I really want to like this film but alas I just can't. Another recommendation from Crypticon, there is no doubting the sophistication and execution of startling imagery here, from the grainy, retro red, blue/green, yellow colour scheme, to the striking "2001", "Logan's Run" inspired sets, to the revealed, cadaver like child's face of the Sentionaut, to the high contrast black and white 60's flashback and Barry Nyle's drug induced trip within the black liquid: multicolored skulls dripping liquids into the…

• David Bonesteel

★★ Added by David Bonesteel

An unbalanced therapist (Michael Rogers) in a mysterious psychotherapeutic institute imprisons a young woman (Eva Allan) to investigate her psychic abilities as part of an attempt to unlock the potential of the human brain.

Writer / director Panos Cosmatos’s debut boasts an impressive atmosphere of dread, mystery, and expectancy, but it begins to wear out its welcome after a while. Still, I would have given it a positive review if it had stuck the landing. Unfortunately, it remains confusing right until the very end, and not with that pleasing sense of ambiguity that some films can pull off.

• alexcmurphy

★★★ Added by alexcmurphy

Overlong for its relatively thin ambitions, it's still a seductive excercise in pure style. Less of full movie than a masters thesis on an era and atmosphere, perhaps it has a clearer understanding of the genre's charms and style than the film's it emulates.

• derek vanderlaan