• Ana Loredo

★★★★ Watched by Ana Loredo 07 Feb, 2016

«Beyond the black rainbow», navega dentro del cine experimental, donde los espacios, la iluminación y propuesta visual, hacen más que crear una atmósfera. El color se vuelve participe, y como un personaje más en su cambio cromático se manifiesta, una comunicación sensorial con el espectador tratando de seducirlo a participar del ideal abstracto del Instituto Arboria.

En extremos opuestos, el doctor Barry Nyle y su paciente, Elena, llegarán hasta sus límites en una lucha de poder. Manipular la fuerza vital…

• Richard Doyle

★★★★ Watched by Richard Doyle 19 Jan, 2016

It's really difficult to say exactly what this is. It's more of an audio-visual experience than a narrative film. Except that there seems to be a story, only I can't say that I know exactly what it is. Viewed as an experience, it was fairly incredible. It has more utterly unique and memorable moments in it than anything I have seen in quite some time. Folks say that this is like a science fiction film from the 1970's, but that's not really true. While the production design definitely has that feel, this is shot in it's own unique style.

• JP Doug

★★ Watched by JP Doug 31 Jan, 2016

"Bring home the motherload, Barry."

'Beyond the Black Rainbow' tries to visually impress and absorb the viewer into two characters' transcendental experience: a psychic girl and her delusional tormentor. While there are one or two horrific sequences and some solid shots, a majority of the film is poorly displayed, and either does not entertain the viewer or enhance the story's slow rhythm. Bathed in 80s neon and possessing a nuanced and nostalgic soundtrack, fans of Refn's 'Drive' or 'Only God Forgives' will be entranced by the visuals most of all. I liked the film's set design personally, but as a whole it really wasn't that enjoyable.

• loopdloop

★★★★ Watched by loopdloop 30 Jan, 2016

Found In: My Favourite Movies (Ranked)

Acting 8/10
    Overall Enjoyment 7/10

80/100

• wildbiker

★★½ Watched by wildbiker 17 Sep, 2015

I can't remember watching this movie.

• Anita Drost

★½ Watched by Anita Drost 27 Jan, 2016

Slow and retro and trippy and probably a feast for the art crowd, but utterly wasted on me.

• Steven Adam Renkovish

★★★★★ Added by Steven Adam Renkovish

In this wonderfully baffling debut film from director Panos Cosmatos, a young woman with telekinetic powers is held captive by a mad doctor in a Kubrickian new age institute. The time is 1983. Through a series of psychedelic flashbacks, we witness the circumstances which led to the doctor's mental and emotional breakdown, as well as the young lady's captivity. To reveal anything more than that would be impossible, but one thing is for certain: fans of films such as Altered…

• Gunsawles

★★ Watched by Gunsawles 23 Jan, 2016

I wanted to like this so much, but the movie tried so hard to be bad. What the hell was the last 20 minutes?!

The OST was amazing, and the cinematography aswell! But the story was mediocre. I hope the director of this can redeem himself on the next movie.

• Jack Cox

★★★½ Watched by Jack Cox 21 Jan, 2016

Beyond the Black Rainbow is a visual masterpiece, it definitely gave me many film and visual ideas while watching it. If Panos Cosmatos never makes another film, this would be one of those films I'm glad he left. This one to me is what happens if Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive met 2001: A Space Odyssey.

This film's story is pretty simplistic for this film and if you came here to watch it for the plot you really aren't going to…

• Radvva

★★★★ Added by Radvva

Visual poetry? Yes. Most probably, because the main characters in this movie are light and sound. Damn what a ride! It's definitely an experience, a pretty intense and intriguing one, I was tripping through out watching this like I was in the midst of that existential madness. The hazzy grainy atmosphere and light triangles, the heavy synths from the soundtrack is incredible. Sinoia Cave's Forever Dilating Eye is freaking insane.

• Felix Hubble

★★★½ Watched by Felix Hubble 20 Jan, 2016

I think this could be better than it is, but what we have bangs super hard regardless. It's hard to think of many other low-budget films that so successfully execute this level of ambition.

It's time for someone to give Panos Cosmatos enough cash to make another film.

• Ángela C.