• Travis Lytle

★★★ Watched by Travis Lytle 22 Nov, 2014 5

Dull but strangely mesmerizing, experimental but evoking some narrative, and layered in artificial but obvious genre conventions, Panos Cosmatos' "Beyond the Black Rainbow" is a science fiction nightmare that defies categorization. It also defies enjoyment, but it is such an interesting, evocative, and strange beast of a film that it engages at the same time it repels.

The story involves a young woman apparently imprisoned in a facility run by a doctor who speaks of inner peace. She works to…

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★½ Watched by GoodBadAndOdd 23 Nov, 2014

As a cohesive narrative, this movie barely works. As pure cinema, it does.

It was an odd film in both obvious and non-obvious ways. In terms of the non-obvious, it struck me how original it was, whilst also causing me, a film fan, to be reminded of literally dozens of movies. I started noting these down about half way through, and kept noting them throughout the film. I'm sure I missed several before I started, but here is my list…

• Nathan Anderson

★★★★ Rewatched by Nathan Anderson 12 Nov, 2014

While not the best film, either narratively or conceptually, its visuals have struck a chord with me. Some have said that it exists only an homage to 1960s, 70s and 80s horror and sci-fi, but its visual style and character design are among the most captivating I've seen in quite some time, and to be fair, I haven't seen anything quite like it.

• Dominic Biondi

★★★★ Added by Dominic Biondi

If David Lynch watched this, he'd be like, "WTF?"

This is either one of the most brilliant movies I've ever see, or it's a disaster. Either way, it's loony tunes.

This is Cosmatos' first feature, and if the name sounds familiar, it's because he is the son of legendary schlockmeister George P. Cosmatos - the auteur behind Stallone epics like Rambo: First Blood Part II and Cobra. And Beyond the Black Rainbow was financed by DVD residuals from Tombstone (1993),…

• jaxblazer

★★★½ Added by jaxblazer

Some great experimental cinematography and atmosphere but a little too long. Would have made an excellent short film.

• omniczech

★★★★½ Added by omniczech

A loving homage to the "trance films" of the 80s, this film seems like the perfect piece to throw on a projector as background noise, but also is an incredibly gripping piece if one takes the time to engage with it. Let your mind go and be sucked into this red and black psychedelic nightmare.

• Allen Arcelo

★★★ Added by Allen Arcelo

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• HarrytheLime

★★★ Watched by HarrytheLime 06 Oct, 2014

Slow pace kind of took me out of the film at times. But good cinematography, it'll be interesting to see what Panos has in store for his next features. Whenever that will be.

• Mild Sauce

★★½ Watched by Mild Sauce 20 Oct, 2014

Had this clocked in at, say, 85-95 minutes, instead of just short of two hours, I think I would have liked it a lot more. I don't mind the meditative pacing in itself, I guess, but the movie doesn't really that much to meditate about. The fantastic period look and feel, combined with daring using of color and design, go a long way to hold up what is pretty thin gruel otherwise. The score is great too. If the movie weren't so boring, this could easily become a 3.5--maybe even 4--star review.

• kroogah

★★★★ Watched by kroogah 18 Oct, 2014

Overflowing with style, obviously influenced by (and cribbing a bunch of scenes from) sci-fi & horror of the 70's and 80's. Plot is almost nonexistent.

• Kurdt

★★★★ Watched by Kurdt 18 Oct, 2014

Think THX 1138 + The Signal + Existenz + Under The Skin and you've got Beyond The Black Rainbow. Though don't take that to mean that this film is just a rehash of any old sci-fi because no way, this is as original as it gets. First, the whole thing looks spectacular. I've never seen so much use of the colour red in one film. The lighting is exquisite, the camera moves deftly around the beautiful set as if it…

• Jon Snow

★★★½ Watched by Jon Snow 15 Oct, 2014

It's weird and atmospheric, channeling some Kubrick, Lynch, Paradisi and early Cronenberg.

It's the kind of film I would put on in the background of a weird halloween party or cult movie night.

I don't dislike it, but I certainly don't love it either. It's best suited for a midnight movie marathon, cult VHS videos from the 80's or someone really high who wants to trip balls.