• JoshBischof

Watched by JoshBischof 01 May, 2016

Kubrick is alive

• Joe

★★★ Watched by Joe 01 May, 2016

As an exercise in style and atmosphere it's well done. Everything else about it was lacking so it's definitely one where there's a lot of style, but not a lot of substance.

• Ryland Dinneen

★★½ Watched by Ryland Dinneen 28 Apr, 2016

lol i love vsco cam! toaster filter mm

ALL JOKES ASIDE !

I had high hopes. I'm just upset that this movie put so much thought into its look and its aesthetic and its design that it completely ignored any trace of a plot. Yeah there's a premise (albeit not really an interesting or original one), but we float through complete nothingness for a very, very long time before anything really happens. And even when that happens, does it really?…

• Robbie G

★★★★ Watched by Robbie G 28 Apr, 2016

Atmospheric and unsettling. Paced incredibly slowly which builds a lot of tension that results in some eerie and at times horrifying imagery. I loved how it was shot and it reminded me of a Kubrick world.

• Cory

Watched by Cory 23 Apr, 2016

One star for the John Carpenter-esque soundtrack.

I could not make it through this.

• Murray Ross

★★ Watched by Murray Ross 22 Apr, 2016

There is a magical moment that comes when you are watching or reading something weird and abstract, that moment where you suddenly connect with the creator of that weirdness and you "get it". I love that second, when you feel a little superior to all those other fools out there who don't "get it", the "squares" Daddy-O!. I kept waiting for that brief flash when I would be drawn into this strange, dark and indecipherable movie. It never came. I…

• zprewitt

★★★ Added by zprewitt

"Beyond the Black Rainbow" is not a movie that I can usually recommend to most people due to its deliberately slow pacing and focus on psychedelic freak show visuals over any kind of coherent story. But I can’t help but love it; it’s a clear tribute to some of the masters of the genre (Tarkovsky and Kubrick chief among them) and has the look and feel of some long-lost early-80s midnight art film. Provided you’re in the right mindset (which may or may not necessitate the use of a controlled substance), there’s plenty to appreciate here.

• Sean Andrew Brown

Added by Sean Andrew Brown

I have to watch this again. Didn't do a heck-of-a lot for me the first time but that's probably because I was tired as shit.

Consider this, with The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears things that I have to rewatch again.

• Miss Wilkes

★★ Watched by Miss Wilkes 18 Apr, 2016 1

In all honesty, I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I don't even know what the 2 stars are for. Well, I do like the cover art and the opening sequence. There.

• DocJon

★★★½ Added by DocJon

Beyond The Black Rainbow is a stylish retro, psychological thriller that explores the sacrifices men will make on their search for inner peace and enlightenment. The first act is very slow and not much happens, the second act gets more interesting as it begins to explore the existential horror of enlightenment through a flashback sequence that shines more light on the plot and the motivations behind the first act. The third act is where things get really intense and where…

• KateSherrod

★★★ Watched by KateSherrod 13 Apr, 2016

Long on stretching what can be done visually with simple tricks like messing with focus and contrast (with a serious side business in finding a myriad of ways to make Michael Rogers' face look even more uncanny than it already is) but short on anything like a compelling or even mildly interesting story. I wanted to like this a lot more than I did.

• VChile

★½ Watched by VChile 13 Apr, 2016

Goes nowhere at a snail's pace, steals from much better sources. Sounds great though, surround really hums. Get buzzed and throw on some Tangerine Dream for a less aggravating experience.