• Will Darmody

★★★½ Watched by Will Darmody 28 Jul, 2015

Sinister, dreamy, mystical horror films don't crop up that often, but this is a fine example of one. Obviously there are influences all over the place, but the story and execution were very compelling, and it felt like new territory even if it's not. There's a breathtaking centrepiece that shows 'the process' of achieving psychic ability that is about as perfect in its symbolism as any film I've ever seen.

There are things that let it down, specifically scenes in the final act. But this is still an awesome movie.

• Kai D'Artagnan de Bergerac Bologne

★★★½ Added by Kai D'Artagnan de Bergerac Bologne

This is imagery done right. It's evocative and it builds an atmosphere that serves the story unlike the empty aestheticism of someone like Tarsem Singh.

• Kyle Porter

★★★★ Rewatched by Kyle Porter 22 Jul, 2015

I'm not sure if I love this movie for the movie, or if I love it for the stunning visuals and soundtrack. I almost feel like I'm in a trance when I watch it. It makes me very relaxed and calm. It only gets better with each viewing. Definitely NOT for everyone. I love it.

• Robert Cullen

★★★★½ Watched by Robert Cullen 21 Jul, 2015 2

If you like movies where not much happens, then this may be for you. Gorgeously sparse.

• Patrice St-Pierre-Plamondon

★★★★½ Added by Patrice St-Pierre-Plamondon

You are going to either love this movie or absolutely hate it. In our ADD internet world, movies like this don’t exist anymore and it’s a shame. Rainbow requires that you enjoy long pacing; it needs you to have an attention span. Little information is given with each scene and you have to figure out what goes on as the story progresses and even as the movie ends, you’re not entirely sure what’s happened. Because yes, the movie demands you…

• Loren Greenblatt

Added by Loren Greenblatt

The first time I tried watching this I made it a full 20 minutes before falling asleep, the next time 30 and the next 40. At this rate I calculate that I'll have to watch Beyond the Black Rainbow 7 more times before making it all the way through. I don't blame the film, which adopts a deliberately molasses-like pacing in the hopes that its ideally stoned audience will find meaning in all it's pauses and stares. But I think…

• James

★★★★½ Watched by James 15 Jul, 2015

Watching this film is like reading a very long novel in one sitting. It's exhausting, slow-paced, filled with vivid imagery, and oftentimes the memory it leaves with you is better than the moment to moment action.

• Ethan

★★★★ Watched by Ethan 14 Jul, 2015

Surreal and hypnotic, Beyond the Black Rainbow is a love letter, visually, to many of the sci-fi films of the 70's and 80's. It's a tale driven more by it's unsettling atmosphere than by it's narrative, and while it will frustrate most viewers, I had a real good time on the ride.

• Patrick

★★ Watched by Patrick 12 Jul, 2015

Pseudo-ambitious

• bradikal

½ Watched by bradikal 11 Jul, 2015

The reveal at the end that it is just 2 high and drunk Canadian dudes telling a ghost story around the camp fire moves this film from the mundane to the sublime.

• Cactus Matt

★★★ Watched by Cactus Matt 07 Jul, 2015

It’s exhaustingly cool and captures both the glossy visual essence of 80’s science fiction horror as well as a creepy minimalist soundtrack, too it’s chock full of inventive and haunting imagery but it’s also a shallow affair as the story is not the least bit interesting and the acting is either hammy or tedious. As a period-inspired throwback it’s hard to fault the ambition but for every stunning aesthetic decision there’s an equally egregious narrative choice and so it’s sadly lacking as a complete film.

• Taylor Kimmett

★★★ Watched by Taylor Kimmett 30 Jun, 2015

This movie is undeserving of such a cool title. Throughout this there was an irking sense that the creators were trying very hard to be smart and cool, and that ultimately leads to a lackluster product. The score is too overbearingly synthy, the sets are cookie cutter dystopian sci-fi, and the reach of the film falls somewhere, perhaps before the black rainbow. If I thought this movie was trying to be just a throwback type affair, I might be less…