• Rauno

★★★½ Watched by Rauno 24 Oct, 2016

22nd horror movie in October 2016

Man, I haven't been this conflicted about a movie in very long time.
    The audio-visuals of most of the movie are *extremely* my shit. Like fucking-inject-it-into-my-veins-please. Style over substence taken to the extreme.
    But the... story? Narrative? Whatever? Suppose they were going for some deep shit but it did not work for me.
    But that atmosphere though, gooooood damn.

• jimmyjone

★★ Added by jimmyjone

Well, it's stylish as fuck.

• Kalpit Tandon

★½ Watched by Kalpit Tandon 19 Oct, 2016

Do not push it for high art. Do not name it as science fiction. There are no symbols hidden and no layers to unwrap. And yes, I couldn't care less about the characters.

It unacceptably suspends narrative arc for flamboyant visuals which are rhetorical in lighting and makes utterly no sense. Beyond the Black Rainbow is a fevered hysteria which swims in waters which are deep enough for it to drown and die.

• marinn

★★★½ Watched by marinn 17 Oct, 2016

Muy buenas tomas, colores, estilo. Pero trama meh.
    Aún así la dirección hace que valga la pena verla.

• Matthew Wojciechowski

Watched by Matthew Wojciechowski 16 Oct, 2016

Absolutely zero substance. I was given no reason to care about anyone or how they related to one another. Total dog shit.
    Soundtrack's kinda dope.

• Cody Love

★½ Watched by Cody Love 14 Oct, 2016 2

Hyper-visual, but only that.

• Cameron Croston

★★★★½ Watched by Cameron Croston 12 Oct, 2016

If you decide to watch this roll a big fat joint before viewing. You'll either cream or shit yourself. Either way you're in for a good time, but if you watch this sober like I did you're also in for a good time. I was transfixed to the screen. Unable to take my eyes off the screen I just layed there with my heart pounding.

This film is hypnotic. It's a 70's/80's homage/critique actually done right. Effectively making all other 80's homage / rip-offs / nostalgia dives look like cheap imitations. Good job Panos. Hope you do more stuff.

• srh1son

★★½ Watched by srh1son 09 Oct, 2016

Pastiche of the 70s science fiction dystopias I actually like. I think I'm watching those again.

• Lordxar

★★★ Watched by Lordxar 02 Oct, 2016

This started with immense potential but ultimately didn't really go anywhere which is too bad. It felt like Lost at times with the mystery and sci-fi but just did not do anything besides mimic something better.

• Samuryan

★★★½ Watched by Samuryan 01 Oct, 2016

This isn't an easy one to recommend. I can't even call it a slow burn, as that would imply that something has generated enough heat to actually catch fire. Personally, I thought the pay-off justified the pace, but hinging your judgment on that alone will most likely frustrate you, as viewers seem sharply divided by the film's final act.

There are moments (most, but not all, peppered throughout the escape sequence) that capture the late 70's/early 80's sentiment so well…

• Harry J. Ford

★½ Watched by Harry J. Ford 28 Sep, 2016

Amazing lighting, super cool soundtrack, beautifully shot and designed.

Why is this film so fucking boring? At 80 minutes it would have been a little slow but generally tolerable. At just under two hours? Painful. Pretty much everything I really appreciated about this film was taken away by how unbelievably dull it was. Incomprehensible, paced like a snail, too much slow-mo.

Needs a better editor.

• filmga

Watched by filmga 24 Sep, 2016

I found a cure for insomnia!!!