• Martin Jensen

★★★★★ Watched by Martin Jensen 12 Apr, 2014

Wow. I know I've been handing out the 5 stars like candy recently, but... this film's bizarre visceral impact is undeniable. Whether that appeals to you is another thing. It definitely appeals to me.

I did have one quibble with the cinematography. I was surprised to find it had been shot on film, because it looked like digital trying to emulate film. It seemed like half of it was out of focus, enough for me to be convinced it was…

• Auteur

Watched by Auteur 12 Apr, 2014 3

Panos Cosmatos,

John Carpenter called. He wants his score back.

Alex North called. He wants his score back too.

The public library called. They want their boxed set of Stanley Kubrick dvds back.

Nicolas Winding Refn called. He said he really loved the long shots of characters walking down hallways.

Andrei Tarkovsky called. He said if it would mean sparing the world of Beyond The Black Rainbow, he would gladly go back in time and become a gold prospector instead of a filmmaker.

• Chevalier

★★★★ Added by Chevalier

Beyond the Black Rainbow is the movie you might had dream as a kid that you never actually saw. Does that makes sense? Sure, Cosmatos might be influenced by 2001 and Dark Star and this and that, but his movie is unique and creates it's very own world. Even with the highly anti-climatic ending, this movie will capture your senses in a way very few movies these days could manage to do that.

• SilentDawn

★★★½ Watched by SilentDawn 08 Apr, 2014

Beyond the Black Rainbow is a true definition of an experience. Startling and absolutely insane visuals, a loud and mood-setting score, and one creepy villain equals one slow hypnotic trip that demands to be seen. Yet, there is hardly any story to speak of. But who cares? It's one of the most bizarre films that I have seen in a long time.

The Awesome: The visuals, the visuals, the visuals. I have never seen anything like this. There is a…

• Mitch Anderson

★★★½ Watched by Mitch Anderson 03 Apr, 2014

Frustratingly moves between being genuinely hypnotic and disturbing, and being ploddingly slow and padded. Jodorowski without the editing. Great soundtrack and cinematography.

• Ryan

Watched by Ryan 31 Mar, 2014 1

I'm not going to rate this because I didn't watch the entire movie. At 1am, I had a choice...finish watching, or go to sleep. I picked the more exciting option.

• Jens

★★½ Watched by Jens 30 Mar, 2014

The last of the psychedelic headfuckers.
    Experimental sci-fi film that emulates the style of 70's and 80's movies. Think "Man Who Fell To Earth" meets "The Cube" meets "Battleship Galactica". While it achieves it's retro look rather well, it's story is told heavy-handed. There's just too much time wasted on psychedelic inserts that look like close-ups of a lava-lamp. Towards the end the plot picks up some momentum, but only few will make it so far. Bit of a shame, as the story has potential for way more excitement, which is lost in the style-over-matter approach of this project.

• Ghostsmut

Watched by Ghostsmut 30 Mar, 2014 1

I've never heard of this. It looks quite pretty in the trailer...

Yeah, true. It's pretty good for a 1980's screensaver. I guess it's a good example of interesting shots not making an interesting film though. Saying it looks good is like saying Oasis have a unique sound. Nearly all the shots are well composed but do they add to the emotional engagement to the film? No, they do not.

I noticed at least 50% of the shots contain reflections…

• Mike Hricik

★★★★ Watched by Mike Hricik 28 Mar, 2014

Immediately after enjoying Beyond the Black Rainbow, I looked up interviews with director Panos Cosmatos, intrigued by his color schemes and sound design choices. I expected to hear a voice like Kubrick's -- intellectual, well-spoken, and introverted. But, to my surprise, Cosmatos speaks like one of us, professing his love for Black Rain and Poltergeist in a frank, nerdy drawl. He's a film geek who has done his homework. He has also crafted one of the most interesting horror debut…

• MiguelSolo

★½ Watched by MiguelSolo 20 Mar, 2014

¿Alguna vez os ha pasado que habéis visto una película y habéis dicho; "dios, esta película es TAN mala, ¡pero es TAN INTERESANTEMENTE mala!"? Pues eso es Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Esta es definitivamente la película de ciencia ficción más presuntuosa y pretenciosa que he visto en mi vida. La cinta intenta marcarse un "2001 Odisea al Espacio" desde el primer minuto y llega hasta extremos embarazosos. Imita su estilo, su ritmo narrativo, sus escenarios asépticos, el uso de la…

• JC Shaffer

★★★★ Watched by JC Shaffer 16 Feb, 2014

Visually amazing, and chilling in a subconscious kind of way. I will need to watch it at least once more to write a proper review.

• Marcel Geiger

★★ Watched by Marcel Geiger 01 Mar, 2014

Als hätte Dario Argento Portal 2 gespielt und danach ein THX 1138 und Hellraiser Filmabend gemacht. Das klingt aber besser, als es ist, leider.
    Es gelingt dem Film den Zuschauer in die bedrückende Qual und Sinnlosigkeit der drogeninduzierten Stimmung der Protagonisten hineinzuziehen. Bei mir ist davon Hauptsächlich Langeweile angekommen. Das einzig erwähnenswerte ist eine kurze Szenen mit einem verrückten Drogenzombie und der tolle Soundtrack.