• Amanda Choo

★★★ Rewatched by Amanda Choo 29 Aug, 2016

A lot people ask where's the movie in this movie but I enjoyed it even after repeated viewings. Despite a syrupy pace, it's an unshakable nightmare constructed by gratifying visuals. Fragments of 80s references (e.g. Dark Star) and visuals and sinister synths are my weakness. Plus Sinoia Caves blows everything out of the water.

• Gavin Rye

★★★★ Rewatched by Gavin Rye 22 Aug, 2016

Beyond the Black Rainbow is every bit as good a second time around. A mesmerizing, hypnotic piece of art. I still don’t fully understand what’s going on a lot of the time and I do still think the scene with the two metal guys is completely out of place, but it is one of the most uncompromising films I have seen in recent years. I really can’t wait to see what Panos Cosmatos comes out with next.

• Eoghan Murphy

★★★ Watched by Eoghan Murphy 19 Aug, 2016

Haunting visuals, a lot of style to this film. It's mesmerising and beautiful, has a good soundtrack; But lacks any substance or coherent plot.

3/5

• JackBloodSucker

★★★★ Added by JackBloodSucker

What. The. Fuck.
    This is, by far, one of the strangest movies I've seen. And I've seen a fair share.
    This is what can be called a "vaporwave movie" (a term I coined for movies that successfully emulate the distinctive 1980's feel and look but were made in the 2010s). But not only because it does the thing I said above, but because it has this slow, drawn out, hypnotic pacing that makes it unique. Just like vaporwave music. And,…

• Brian

Watched by Brian 14 Aug, 2016

Do I get mailed an award for actually finishing this nonsense?

• MoonpieEye

★★★ Watched by MoonpieEye 13 Aug, 2016

Beautiful imagery and color. Very funky.

I had a little trouble getting into this at first. I could feel myself growing frustrated with the slow pacing and unproductive dialogue. I was a little put off by the over-the-top acting of the creepy therapist. But as I got further into it, I became entranced.

Overall, I'd say it was a worthwhile experience.

• Nicholas Dry

Watched by Nicholas Dry 08 Aug, 2016

"I Don't KNOW, Margo"

I'm writing this review half way through this movie because thats about all I can stand of this. Once they dropped that line from Christmas Vacation (a far superior movie in every aspect of the word even though these are not even comparable.) I couldn't take it anymore. This film is just trying too hard. The colors are cool, the cinematography is the only thing of any merit in this film. The premise is a good…

• Brandon

Watched by Brandon 07 Aug, 2016

An obtuse, and surprisingly psychedelic sci-fi horror film that raises more questions than it answers. Michael Rogers is contemptibly creepy as Dr. Nyle and the Arboria Institute is a disquieting menagerie of test subjects and guards. It will likely prove to be too ponderous and reserved for many viewers, but some will welcome the challenge of tying together narrative on their own.

A very cool movie from an art direction and visual standpoint. Felt a bit like Kubrick on acid,…

• Bobby Ge

★★★½ Watched by Bobby Ge 06 Aug, 2016

Really don't know. Felt like some kind of a bizarre Kubrickian-THX 1138 nightmare. Very pretty and incredibly imaginative, but also extraordinarily thin on plot. Last 10 minutes were weird and kinda unnecessary.

But DAMN. This was one of the strangest, most outlandish movies I've seen in recent times and its unwavering commitment to its surrealist vision was very impressive. There's definitely something here; just not sure what it was, exactly.

• 666 Ellsworth™

★★★★★ Rewatched by 666 Ellsworth™ 05 Aug, 2016 4

Failed experiments of star-children and new dead hopes litter the institute. The original intent, the #311 dream, has lost meaning, drowned and obscured by a trance-wall of morphine and Benway antibiotics. No organic life but the unnatural rhythm of God's forgotten looking glass, pumping unholy light into an unholy garden.

A starburst calcified as alien flesh. Reach for the rainbow, let Them look through you, don't look back.

• Ryan

★★★ Watched by Ryan 04 Aug, 2016

This movie is so good looking

• Ulf Kjell Gür

★★★½ Watched by Ulf Kjell Gür 31 Jul, 2016

I find this an incredibly exciting and well-balanced ride. An elevating composition of images, colorw, surface and sounds. Acting instructions limps. The story does not dazzle. But it does'nt matter. This film is a typhoon of unique and offbeat images. With another title, it would be on everyone's lips.