• Harry J. Ford

★½ Watched by Harry J. Ford 28 Sep, 2016

D+.

Amazing lighting, super cool soundtrack, beautifully shot and designed.

Why is this film so fucking boring? At 80 minutes it would have been a little slow but generally tolerable. At just under two hours? Painful. Pretty much everything I really appreciated about this film was taken away by how unbelievably dull it was. Incomprehensible, paced like a snail, too much slow-mo.

Needs a better editor.

• filmga

Watched by filmga 24 Sep, 2016

I found a cure for insomnia!!!

• jack_nance

★★ Watched by jack_nance 18 May, 2016

After some effort I finally was able to track down this Canadian cultish sci-fi tale. Wish it had been worth the wait.

Writer/director Panos Cosmatos attempts to wedge in as much cool minimalist science fiction inspiration as possible with little bites of everything from THX 1138 to 2001 to The Man Who Fell to Earth to all manner of Cronenberg, Jodorowsky, Tarkovsky. The problem arises that, despite all these influences there isn't much of a story to hang things on.…

• Stephen Williamson

★★★★ Added by Stephen Williamson

Viewed in 35mm at Seattle's Grand Illusion Cinema.

• Laura

Watched by Laura 16 Sep, 2016

I'm in 49 minutes and it's way too long, the shots drag too much, lots of color not enough action. Pre-Stranger Things, Eleven esque beginnings, but way too artsy for its own good.

• Dom Sinacola

★★★ Watched by Dom Sinacola 15 Sep, 2016

A prelude to Stranger Things, but directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. It even has its own Barb—she dies miserably. Sci-fi as a pollution of nostalgia.

• gonesavage

★★★½ Watched by gonesavage 12 Sep, 2016

The score, production design, sound design, visual effects were all stunning and mesmerizing. If it only had one more notch of plot or story, it would be a much better film. It doesn't really matter though. Put this on in a dark room, late at night, turn up the sound and you are taken away. Sinoia Caves' score is beautiful and hypnotic. So many frames and scenes are so attractive. The colors!

Sure it is slow and many scenes could…

• Chad Turner

★★★½ Watched by Chad Turner 12 Sep, 2016

The neons, the synth, the a e s t h e t i c !!!!!

• Zoë

½ Watched by Zoë 10 Sep, 2016

I'm not gonna pretend that I understood this or that it meant anything deep to me or made me feel any sort of way bc it didn't

• Specimen_Hex

★★ Added by Specimen_Hex

The visuals and score almost make up for the incoherent plot and snail like pacing.

• Benjamin Reilly

★★★ Watched by Benjamin Reilly 08 Sep, 2016

This was not a fun watch. Very slow, but there is also a lot of style and aesthetic I like. There isn't much of a plot, and it feels very experimental. I don't really have a clear concensus of what I thought about it. It's definitely an interesting film whether or not you can find merit in it. I also loved the score.

• Aaron D

★★★½ Watched by Aaron D 04 Sep, 2016

Despite being stylistically gorgeous, the film isn't so much "a drug" and simply incohesive, leaving the main crux of it's story and conflict until the last act. By making the first acts a dragged-out exercise in cinematography, the best parts are in the final exploration of the compound which is monstrous and enigmatic. It's beautiful but without conflict or story--making the gorgeous set design and editing and score and lovable film grain all a chore to get through. I didn't…