• Christian Flemm

★★★★½ Watched by Christian Flemm 21 Feb, 2015

Not a frame is wasted in Black Narcissus; every shot (and I mean that quite literally) is rendered as beautifully as the tableaus that are also on display during the film. This is, quite seriously, one of the most beautiful films ever made. Makes me even more excited to watch The Red Shoes.

I can't talk about the film much on a thematic level though.

An apt analogy: The Archers are to Film as Chopin is to his Music.

I…

• Shandton Williams

★★★★ Watched by Shandton Williams 20 Feb, 2015

Another dazzling cinematic feast from the golden age. This film is a gem among gems. I saw part of it when I was much younger. What struck me then is the same thing that struck me in this complete viewing of the film: The innovative cinematography of Jack Cardiff who so greatly deserved the Oscar he received in his respective category that year. What's more, the matte work in this picture is impressively detailed, lush and majestic; one is really…

• Gavin Midgley

★★★★★ Rewatched by Gavin Midgley 19 Feb, 2015

Utterly intoxicating.

• Boggy Creek

★★★★ Watched by Boggy Creek 18 Feb, 2015

Black Narcissus insinuates it is a black-and-white film trapped in technicolor. Although the Himalayan landscape sympathizes gorgeously with Jack Cardiff's cinematography, and the film is brought by the team who constructed one of the most alluring and vibrant films ever, The Red Shoes, black-and-white comprehending in Black Narcissus would be incredibly impeccable and ideal in my perspective. Its only colorful aspects are the costume and the palace which are impressively shown, but a nun in black-and-white with this cinematography should…

• Jordan Ferrero

★★★★½ Watched by Jordan Ferrero 17 Feb, 2015

Filled with wonderful set pieces and lucious landscapes, Black Narcissus is great story with a surprisingly tense conclusion. Excellent film.

• Flickers in Time

★★★★½ Rewatched by Flickers in Time 11 Feb, 2015

I have seen this more often than I can count and each time I am more enchanted by the beauty of its images and astounded that it could possibly have been shot on the studio lot in England. Reviewed on flickersintime.com

• Thomas Heijmans

★★★★½ Added by Thomas Heijmans

stunning piece of work, and not only for it's time

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 06 Jan, 2010

Anglican nuns, led by the stern Sister Clodagh, attempt to establish a religious community in the Himalayas.
    Semi-masterpiece by Powell/Pressburger, full of love and passion, exotic and almost dream-like settings, schmaltzy music and colorful photography.

• Stephen Nelson

★★★★½ Watched by Stephen Nelson 28 Jan, 2015

“For the natural Man is an enemy to God, and has been from the Fall of Adam.”

This film is about tension. Mankind, over time, has constructed a more and more complex apparatus to try and rise above the chaos of nature, but in our efforts have created our own brand of chaos. A puritanical domesticity that seeks to psychologically castrate ourselves, despite the fact that our innate virility is still there. Granted, I’m talking about nuns, so these metaphors…

• Adam Danoff

★★★★ Watched by Adam Danoff 27 Jan, 2015

Pretty...damn good

• Cappie Chamberlain

★★★★ Watched by Cappie Chamberlain 17 Jan, 2015

Black Narcissus is certainly something special. I'm finding words to describe it incredibly hard to find. It is beautiful, unique and an amazing achievement for its time. The performances are rich, the plot is nuanced and the cinematography is stunning - not just for when it was made, but even today.

It is a gold mine of depth and substance, one that I can see myself revisiting time and time again - at the moment I feel my understanding of its themes are limited, so I have a lot more to gain from this cinematic treasure.

• Walker King

★★★★★ Watched by Walker King 15 Jan, 2015

Excellent use of close-ups that isolate the pure facial features of each actress, exaggerated by their white habits. Less erotic than reputed, Jean Simmons dancing aside. Sister Ruth's "crazy look" is really terrifying.