• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 13 Jan, 2010

Not the stodgy nun's tale I was (foolishly) expecting; it's full of life and vigour and colour, even before Sister Ruth does away with her habit and puts on lipstick. Powell said it was the most erotic film he ever made, and I have a hard time arguing that, even without seeing the vast majority of his work; the exotic setting, emotionally-charged story, and incredibly alive performances all reinforce this.

And, holy fuck, what cinematography. Shot in a studio? You've gotta be shitting me.

• Terése Flynn

★★★★ Watched by Terése Flynn 15 Apr, 2014 2

Everything has already been said when it comes to how beautiful this movie is, with the colours, authentic enviroments, lightning and so on. Hat off for that. But everything else then:

My expectations were pretty high, I must admit, and I was somewhat disappointed when it came to the main plot in Black Narcissus. Which for the most part is painted in watercolours, when it should've been painted with hard strokes of coal. But I guess the scene with the…

• Eric

★★★★★ Watched by Eric 02 Apr, 2009

In the 1940s, the British filmmaking duo of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger completed a series of masterpieces in what was their most prolific decade. Although A Matter of Life and Death can more accurately be described as the first film in which Powell, Pressburger, and cinematographer Jack Cardiff utilized color as a means of expressing the interior emotions of a character, perhaps no singular effort is more emblematic of their collective talents than Black Narcissus. As a film very…

• Marco Gennuso

★★★ Added by Marco Gennuso

So dope.

• Peng

★★★★ Watched by Peng 21 Mar, 2014

Being a film with an increasingly psychological edge, the histrionic acting lacks the nuance necessary for the build-up to feel organic. It is aided by the spectacular set though, full of glorious colors and its feeling of nature's harshness (even though it is filmed in a studio). The histrionics turn out to work well in the film's second half, when the emotions blow up and everything resembles an operatic horror set piece, right down to the gripping, tense climax.

• Raúl Cornejo

★★★★★ Watched by Raúl Cornejo 18 Mar, 2014

Deborah Kerr / Kathleen Bryon / Jean Simmons, viento y Jack Cardiff

• Sean Frost

★★★★ Watched by Sean Frost 16 Mar, 2014

An interesting examination of hubris, using the setting of a convent in a remote mountain. Regrettable 1940s "native" makeup is the only detraction on this harrowing film.

• Kurosawa

★★★★★ Watched by Kurosawa 11 Mar, 2014

I had never watched this before and sitting down to watch a film about a convent of nuns in India was not what I had in mind for this evening. But in the end, 1947's "Black Narcissus" will be the film that sets me off on a Powell/Pressburger viewing spree. It will also become my new high mark for cinematography - ha! new? it's from 1947!!
    Jack Cardiff's Technicolor cinematography and Alfred Junge's design make every frame absolutely exquisite.
    And…

• robert_holly

★★★½ Added by robert_holly

Terrifying cinematography and setting.

• SJHoneywell

★★★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

When Sister Ruth goes
    Mad, she brings the crazy with
    Bells and tin whistles!

• Gaz Elliott

★★★½ Watched by Gaz Elliott 19 Feb, 2014

After opening a convent in the Himalayas, five nuns encounter conflict and tension - both with the natives and also within their own group - as they attempt to adapt to their remote, exotic surroundings.

• Bob Hovey

★★★★½ Rewatched by Bob Hovey 27 May, 2013

This is the story of a group of nuns sent to start a convent in an old temple in the Himalayas but find themselves seduced by a culture they are not prepared for and don't understand. Considered very risque after its release in 1947, it's now hopelessly dated and overwrought. Still, the film's well worth seeing ... Deborah Kerr is wonderful, as the the cinematography by the legendary Jack Cardiff... like his earlier work in The Red Shoes, this is a visual feast that will leave you breathless.