• catwitt

★★★

This movie is visually gorgeous - painted backdrops, sweeping mountains, lush colors. That's my favorite part of it. Outside of that, I honestly don't even know what to make of it. There's some pretty outward racism (and brown face) included in here, and the story is not the most compelling - the tension between Kerr and Farrar seems unbelievable at best. And then you've got a crazy, murderous nun for some reason? The outside makes all of the nuns lust for more!?!?

• Connor Murphy

★★★½

Firstly, let me say that directorially and visually, Black Narcissus is a triumph. Much is made of the painted backdrops, color scheme, and use of space, and all for good reason. Powell and Pressburger are undoubtedly great at directing. Where the film falters, then, is chiefly with the unevenness of the screenplay (which I also found with The Red Shoes to a lesser degree) and with the casual imperialist undertones / racist casting. Fortunately, the film does not necessarily champion…

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★½

"I told you this was no place to put a nunnery! There's something in the atmosphere that makes everything seem exaggerated."

Black Narcissus is a fine example of a film that gets better and better with every minute. You might call it a slow burner. Perhaps it is. The film effectively juggles various characters and subplots while successfully moving closer and closer to the inevitable climax without losing steam. The beauty of the Technicolor process becomes more apparent during said…

• Bob P

★★★★

So I spoiled this movie for myself, to a degree. I was watching this on Netflix way back when and I paused the film a little of the way in to get a drink or some such. As it turned out, I had paused directly on Kathleen Byron (seemingly normal in the film at this point) looking what can only be described as "utterly batshit crazy", so for the rest of the build up I was convinced she would go…

• awolverton

★★★★★

With each Powell and Pressburger film I see, I keep thinking, “These guys just can’t top themselves any further” and yet they do. Black Narcissus certainly deserves far more space than I have time to devote to it here, so I’ll only say that this story of a group of Anglican nuns being placed in a remote Himalayan mountainside dwelling examines so many themes and emotions you could write dissertations about them. The use of Technicolor combined with Jack Cardiff’s brilliant cinematography will literally steal the breath from your body.

• Lauren

★★★★½

this was a religious experience!!!!!!

• Lorenzo Ghelli

Part of my FSDO
    ( letterboxd.com/lonza/list/im-a-model-student-fsdo-challenge-2k17/ )

Extra Credits 65 - Auteurs - Michael Powell
    Wow.
    What a beauty.
    This movie was visually stunning, surely one of the best ever in that field.
    What I saw in here was unique, even now. I've never seen such a splendid use of color and associations before. The setting succeeded in creating an out-of-this-world atmosphere, thanks to the scenography, the costumes and the soundtrack. And, of course, Powell's directorial skills.
    After the first…

• Andrew Neill

★★½

Nuns in the Himalayas trying to not fall in love with the local handyman/drunk. This is a very beautiful picture there is a real sense of being in a different world but I struggled to connect to the characters or their struggle.

I was a bit surprised the ending went the way it did but you knew what was going to happen right at the end but did not expect it to go as far as it did.

• Joe Boyle

★★½

Coming from Powell and Pressburger, the same team responsible for Colonel Blimp, I had high hopes for this one. While there's no denying it's technicolor beauty, the story about a group of nuns that relocate to a new convent in the mountains of India just never grabbed me.

As a fan of history, the story of Colonel Blimp and the way the ideals of a generation and past age were lost over the course of two brutal world wars resonated profoundly with me. Black Narcissus, while clearly a well-made film, just lacked that sort of punch.

• Jenna Ipcar

★★★★

Visually gorgeous and pretty damn creepy for the 40s! You would never know it was all shot in England... really fantastic set. Slow start- but who cares, it's so great looking- but the freaky ending more than makes up for it.

• Davis Chan

★★★½

What a good film to start the year with.

• Richard Doyle

★★★★½

This is a gorgeous film. The palace turned nunnery in the remote Himalayas is created mostly in Pinewood Studios, and it's a glorious example of how deliberate artifice can create it's own kind of authenticity. The carefully designed and controlled visual scheme of this film creates it's own world that is true to the story being told. Ironically, the story is largely about how you cannot control every aspect of your world through force of will. This film would be…