• Joe Gola

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe Gola 23 Nov, 2015

One of the all-time great movies. It's about a bunch of nuns who travel to the Himalayas to found a new convent, but don't let that fool you — the film is almost wickedly secular, and beneath its entertaining story and well-drawn characters there are undercurrents of strangeness and dark humor. If you ask me, it's the best movie the Archers ever did, and that's really saying something.

• The_Lost_Bijou

★★★½ Watched by The_Lost_Bijou 17 Nov, 2015

Wow! Worth watching just for the color. Technicolor never looked finer! (and Deborah Kerr doesn't hurt either)

• HannibalChew

★★★★ Watched by HannibalChew 27 Oct, 2015

Not only is the concept amazing, but the setting's conceptually interesting, and the glorious technicolor is just the icing on the cake. All of the flashbacks are executed impressively, and Deborah Kerr is great. The stylistic flourishes in the last act are a pleasant surprise too.

Powell and Pressburger triumph again.

• Ryan Meyers

★★★★★ Added by Ryan Meyers

Five nuns who make a brothel into a convent experience the hardships of starting a mission in the Himalayas. A rewatch of this is exactly what I needed to reaffirm my questioning if it was as great as I believed it to be the first few times. It is even greater.

First off, the cast is a total marvel. We get Archers regular David Farrar playing a seductive, rugged Englishman - the perfect kind of character to make all these…

• Vasilakos

★★★★ Watched by Vasilakos 25 Oct, 2015

Ένα εικαστικό αριστούργημα.

• Jackson Tyler

★★★ Watched by Jackson Tyler 21 Oct, 2015

It's technically amazing and beautiful! I didn't love it but purely because the genre ain't for me, no sleight against the film though. Good bit of history to fill in.

• Cameren Lee

Rewatched by Cameren Lee 12 Oct, 2015

Shown in film class. It took watching this in the presence of about thirty other people (of whom at least two-thirds had obviously never seen it) for me to realize that this premise would make for one hell of a soap opera.

• Aaron Hammond

★★★★½ Rewatched by Aaron Hammond 13 Oct, 2015

"Losing him was blue like I'd never known/Missing him was dark grey all alone/Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met/But loving him was red...Oh, red...Burning red." -Taylor Swift

Colonialism, God and Sex all traffic in repressive tendencies.

• Gustaf Ottosson

★★★★ Watched by Gustaf Ottosson 12 Oct, 2015

Part of October watch list

Knowing that Black Narcissus is made 1947, no matter what your expectations are, you won't be disappointed. This pretty much is the epitome of classic Hollywood movies, featuring stunningly beautiful actresses, the mandatory dramatic soundtrack and a well woven story that escalates in drama the further in you get. Highly entertaining!

• Andy Patterson

★★★★★ Watched by Andy Patterson 06 Oct, 2015

A film about erotic tension and sexual repression in such prudish times was almost unspeakable, but Powell and Pressburger's Black Narcissus was about nuns holding back their carnal desires. It's a glorious technicolor film, the Himalayas setting brought to life with staggering beauty, filmed entirely in film studios and a Kent tropical garden. It's a furiously intense and incredibly cinematic work from one of the greatest directing duos in film history.

• Michael Nazarewycz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Nazarewycz 30 Jun, 2015

I had the great pleasure to revisit this tremendous film for Way Too Indie. My coverage of that, and other P&P films, can be found here: waytooindie.com/news/tiff-technicolor-and-the-archers-in-three-two-one/

• Robert Motherwell

★★★½ Added by Robert Motherwell

Intriguing, well crafted, but somewhat tedious drama from the Archers Production directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger.
    Deborah Kerr leads a group of inexperienced nuns from India into Nepal to a high mountain pass that has been unable to hitherto maintain a nunnery.
    Color cinemascope is used to the maximum effect and the art direction is to die for.
    Still, why the nuns start to experience insanity because of the high altitude as well as question their faith remained somewhat unclear.
    Inevitable ending still holds much power.