• Collin

★★★★ Watched by Collin 24 Sep, 2016

The best looking film I've ever seen, colorwise. Really interesting story too, it didn't really go where I thought it'd go. I definitely need to watch it again soon.

• Michael K. Hill

★★★★ Watched by Michael K. Hill 25 Sep, 2016

Repressed desires simmer just below the surface in this carefully crafted film about nuns establishing a mission in India.

• Ian Campbell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian Campbell 22 Sep, 2016

Breathtaking fake scenery and nuns losing their minds. Great stuff.

• pnwcraft

★★★★ Watched by pnwcraft 21 Sep, 2016

My new favorite horror movie

• R.

Watched by R. 16 Sep, 2016

Klockan. Joseph. Kostymer. Bergen.

• Ben De Bono

★★★★½ Watched by Ben De Bono 10 Sep, 2016

Powell and Pressburger continue to live up to their reputation for me. While I didn't like this quite as much as The Red Shoes, it's still a remarkable film.

The theme of identity runs throughout every level of this movie. The culture struggles with the identity of Christianity vs Hinduism, the characters wrestle with identities of vocation and purpose. The palace/convent becomes a rock that everyone and everything in the film crashes against and comes away changed.

Michael Powell described…

• Ashley

Watched by Ashley 10 Sep, 2016

Some takeaways:

-Brilliant sound design
    -exquisite visual effects
    - amazing coloration and production design

• Andrew Swafford

★★½ Watched by Andrew Swafford 04 Sep, 2016 1

I feel like such a dope for not getting into this, but I have to be honest with myself and admit that I got almost nothing out of it. This is definitely one of those movies that I need to come back to when I'm a bit older and have the ability to see it projected on a theatre screen. As far as this first brush on my living room TV goes, I mostly just wished I was watching either…

View

• talisencrw (William Wood)

★★★★★ Watched by talisencrw (William Wood) 15 Apr, 2015

Easily what I would consider the most beautiful movie ever made. Powell and Pressburger were made to work with each other, completely simpatico, and this is resoundingly the hallmark of their craft. Being a sentimental fool, 'I Know Where I'm Going!' remains a personal favourite, though, amongst an embarrassment of riches that few other directors could boast of matching.

• Anna Husted

★★★★ Watched by Anna Husted 01 Sep, 2016

Classic Powell and Pressburger. BLACK NARCISSUS was just about the every day life of some nuns in the Himilayas, but it takes a dark complicated turn because, after all, it's not easy to live at 8,000 feet with no one around and with windows that don't close all the way. Dark, intriguing, and slightly disturbing just the way we like it from P&P.

• directorscut

★★★★★ Rewatched by directorscut 28 Jul, 2016

That momentous shift in tone and style, that delirium invoking explosion of two acts worth of bottled up emotions, is possibly even more jolting and affecting second time around when have a better understanding of the story, characters and themes. Kathleen Byron's eyes projected near wall-size seared into my brain and subconscious, the most unforgettable set of eyes in cinematic history. Leone's close ups have nothing on this. The film's only blemish is May Hallatt's nails-on-chalkboard performance. It's like Una O'Connor has invaded Powell & Pressburger.

• EnteredTheVoid

★★★★ Watched by EnteredTheVoid 30 Aug, 2016

With visuals that are worthy of being hanged in the Louvre or the Guggenheim next to all the other glorious works, Black Narcissus is an absolutely astonishing work of art and one of the most gorgeous colour palettes in cinema, especially considering it was the mid 40's.