• Cappie Chamberlain

★★★★ Watched by Cappie Chamberlain 17 Jan, 2015

Black Narcissus is certainly something special. I'm finding words to describe it incredibly hard to find. It is beautiful, unique and an amazing achievement for its time. The performances are rich, the plot is nuanced and the cinematography is stunning - not just for when it was made, but even today.

It is a gold mine of depth and substance, one that I can see myself revisiting time and time again - at the moment I feel my understanding of its themes are limited, so I have a lot more to gain from this cinematic treasure.

• Walker King

★★★★★ Watched by Walker King 15 Jan, 2015

Excellent use of close-ups that isolate the pure facial features of each actress, exaggerated by their white habits. Less erotic than reputed, Jean Simmons dancing aside. Sister Ruth's "crazy look" is really terrifying.

• Dorian Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Dorian Rodríguez 12 Jan, 2015

Beautiful

• Tommy

★★★★½ Rewatched by Tommy 12 Jan, 2015

Deborah Kerr's eyes. With her spending most of the movie bundled in a nun's habit, her eyes have to carry a monumental weight, and boy do they ever.

• Danny Webster

★★★★★ Watched by Danny Webster 10 Jan, 2015 7

Director Project

Director: Michael Powell (and Emeric Pressburger) (Third Film)

Black Narcissus is startling. It's startling because of its omniscient and thick erotic atmosphere, and all of this, in a film about nuns setting up a school in India. The immediate purity of the clothing worn by the nuns is (yet again) masterfully inventive as it opposes the natural and vibrant colours of the Himalayas and its surrounding terrain. Carnality meets oppressed sexuality in a film that doesn't rely on…

• Miles Lemaire

★★★★★ Rewatched by Miles Lemaire 02 Jan, 2015

My appreciation for this one grows with every re-watch. Powell and Pressburger are in my personal Mt. Rushmore of filmmakers. So many subversive ideas and images in such a crowd pleasing package. Oh yeah, and it's gorgeous beyond measure. Nothing else looks like this.

• Daniel Mumby

★★★★½ Added by Daniel Mumby

The two worst devices in film criticism are nostalgia and the arrogance of youth. On the one hand it is foolish to assume that all films from the past have a natural superiority over those made today, just as it is foolish to say that a hand-written letter is entirely superior to e-mail. On the other hand, in an age where almost anything can be said or done legally on screen, it is stupid to assume that a film like…

• Ryan Fischer

★★★★½ Watched by Ryan Fischer 29 Dec, 2014

Just an absolutely gorgeous film. Unfortunately, the plot relies on a combination of orientalism and a misogynistic view of mischannelled female sexuality (Sister Ruth's madness is straight out of some late-nineteenth or early-twentieth century, horrible sexist psychological treatise). On the one hand, I want to ignore these flaws because the view of a sensuous east driving nuns crazy is so central to the film's astonishing technicolor beauty. On the other hand, if the Archers had played the repressed sexuality a…

• JaumeMuntane

★★★★½ Watched by JaumeMuntane 26 Dec, 2014

La història peca de simple, però visualment és una maravella amb uns inolvidables decorats i un ús excepcional del color i la fotografia.

The plot may be simple, but visually is extraordinary thanks to the unforgettable and breathtakings matte paintings and the excepcional use of the colour and cinematography.

• tjeckz

★★★★ Added by tjeckz

A small contingent of nuns is sent out to start a mission in a remote castle above a town in the Himalayas; as their isolation sets in, the women start recalling old feelings and confronting them, and their surroundings, in different ways. A visually stunning film that was an early example of how to expertly use color dramatically. Powell and Pressburger (and the novel's author, Rumer Godden) have some serious thoughts about desire and accepting things for the way they are, and create genuine fright at times. Those bell tower shots are something else.
    Oscar Wins for Art Direction-Set Decoration (Color) and Cinematography (Color).

• Timcop

★★★★★ Watched by Timcop 28 Dec, 2014 2

Nuns On The Run (From Sanity)

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 25 Dec, 2014

Its been a dream of mine to Visit the Himalayas with its jaw dropping beauty...Watching this reinforces this aspect..Kudos to Jack Cardiff the star of the show here..The gorgeous Deborah Kerr is a pleasure to watch as always!..I recommend The River by Jean Renoir as a fitting Double Bill.