• popcorninhell

★★★★★ Added by popcorninhell

American poet A.R. Ammons once said, "There's something to be said in favor of working in isolation in the real world." Sister Clodagh (Kerr) had this much in mind when she took a Mother Superior position in a secluded former seraglio turned makeshift school and hospital in the Himalayas. She brings with her a bevy of Anglican sisters and the emotional baggage of a failed relationship back in Ireland. Looking to create a world anew under strict Anglican and Christian…

• Kane Johnson

★★★★★ Watched by Kane Johnson 28 Jun, 2016

Another Powell & Pressburger film with a plot that on the surface could not sound less appealing to me.

Another complete masterpiece.

• DoctorSmocter

Watched by DoctorSmocter 25 Jun, 2016

Everyone says it's a drama; I'd swear it's a comedy.

• weouthere

★★★★★ Watched by weouthere 24 Jun, 2016

Geez oh man.

• Rush1

★★★★ Watched by Rush1 23 Jun, 2016

Perhaps Deborah Kerr is the most adorable nun I've ever seen either in Black Narcissus or Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison.

• Matt Constantine

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Constantine 21 Jun, 2016

Oh, man. What can one say about this movie? It's a must see; that's for sure. The first Nunsploitation? A fantastical drama turned horror film? It's so many things. It's gorgeous in a very artificial way, almost entirely shot on sets (and entirely shot in the U.K.). Throughout, there is an unreal, dreamlike quality that adds to the unsettling nature of things as the plot moves forward and the characters descend into...Well, whatever it ends up being. Some extreme, over the top performances are pitch perfect. Really, something to see. And one of these days, I'll see it on the big screen.

• Rebecca Martin

★★★★★ Added by Rebecca Martin

Beautiful film with great actors, Deborah Kerr, David Farrar, Esmond Knight, and Kathleen Byron. Being technicolor the colors were as intoxicating as the location and I felt drawn in to the fever dream with the sisters, it brought a feeling, an awakening, and Powell and Pressburger have a genius of bringing madness bubbling at the surface in a beautiful way.

• Michael Casey

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Casey 29 May, 2016

Though set in India, not one frame of Black Narcissus was exposed outside of England. Indeed, the movie — save for one or two shots taken at a nearby botanical garden — was filmed at Pinewood Studios with matte paintings and backdrops supplying the scenery and giant fans providing Mopu’s ever-present wind. With no outside elements to contend with and beholden to no reality, Powell and Pressburger — and their collection of technical mavens — exercised complete and precise control…

• Aaron T. Rex

★★★★½ Watched by Aaron T. Rex 02 Jun, 2016

Another great film from Powell and Pressburger. Looks gorgeous and feels unlike most things I've seen from that era.

• Ron Hayes

★★★★½ Watched by Ron Hayes 29 May, 2016

Oh, the cinematography. Every shot is a Renaissance masterpiece.

• landskip

★★★★½ Rewatched by landskip 23 May, 2016

A fantastic melodrama.

• Kyle Marshall

★★★★½ Watched by Kyle Marshall 24 May, 2016

Culture shock distilled. I had no idea this would end up being a thriller but it was so perfectly structured, looking back on it. Deborah Kerr also demonstrates that she's one of the most versatile actors ever. I especially appreciate that both religious practices featured in the film are depicted as equally valid while maintaining that religion is important for those who give it importance, a very grounded outcome for a film that is, to use its own term, "exaggerated."