• George Hayward

★★★★½ Watched by George Hayward 07 Feb, 2016

Couldn't believe it was made in 1947, then couldn't believe it was all shot in England (the outdoor scenes in a garden in Sussex!) Great stuff, will definitely be seeking out more Powell and Pressburger

• OTIS GRUMBLE

★★★★½ Watched by OTIS GRUMBLE 25 Jan, 2016

Sweet jesus this has to be one of the best looking films of all time.

• steve

★★★½ Watched by steve 31 Jan, 2016

aka Horny Nuns in the Himalayas

• 13thAngryMan

★★★★ Watched by 13thAngryMan 30 Jan, 2016

Part of 25 Unseen Classics to watch in 2015 . 15/25

Something is not sitting right with me this year, and it's do with the fact I have yet to see my entire list of 25 Unseen Classics to watch in 2015 list.

But this was fabulous and shows another real consistency with Powell and Pressburger.

• Those Eyebrows

★★★★½ Rewatched by Those Eyebrows 30 Jan, 2016

Kathleen Byron, the original Flying Nun.

• jto111

★★★★½ Added by jto111

Incredibly striking film from the Powell and Pressburger duo.

• tophermart

★★★½ Watched by tophermart 22 Jan, 2016

Always heard about it, knew nothing. Not bad. Was like Sound of Music melodrama. The end transformation of the "bad nun" was very cool. Great cinematography, bizarre casting.

• stop

★★★★ Watched by stop 22 Jan, 2016

I love how little is explained in this film. It is something that bugs me about modern mainstream stuff. When things are planted so we feel like we know them before, or at the latest, at the same time as the character. Makes us larger than ourselves, turns cinema into an exercise of omniscience. Turned around like this, a place being larger than the people AND the viewer, it feels as if I am being nudged by the filmmaker toward discovering the Sublime. It's so Romantic – not romantic, Romantic.

• Owen Greenwell

★★★★ Watched by Owen Greenwell 29 Nov, 2009

Who knew women who decided to be Nuns had illogical and masochistic personality disorders?

• JoshuaW

Watched by JoshuaW 20 Jan, 2016

why shoot color if you cant shoot like cardiff

• Maggie

★★★½ Watched by Maggie 20 Jan, 2016

spot that brownface!

• Tracy

★★★★★ Added by Tracy

Haunting images surround a story that is rare, both for its time and now.