• antbalzano

★★★½ Watched by antbalzano 02 May, 2016

For its time this film was extremely advanced and extremely ambitious. The production value was insane (great set design & the murals as backdrops were beautiful, as well as the camerawork), the acting was great, the use of color was fantastic. I kinda just feel that the story was presented mildly confusingly, and was paced rather awkward at some points. In the same sense though, you could tel for a film made in 1947 this took many provocative risks that probably…

• Michael Murphy

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Murphy 27 Apr, 2016

Spellbinding masterpiece. Absolutely taut, not a frame wasted. Thematically rich and insanely detailed; 100 minutes of the most sensuously shot, beautifully rendered images in the history of cinema. Two masters at the top of their game. A stunning work that makes bold choices, takes unexpected turns and has an enormous, cathartic payoff. A new favorite. Cannot wait to revisit.

• Shoumik Hassin

★★★★½ Watched by Shoumik Hassin 01 May, 2016

Really didn't expect this movie to remind me of The Shining but I was quite happy that it did.

• Steven Flores

Rewatched by Steven Flores 30 Apr, 2016

A magnificent and ravishing film from Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger that explores a group of nuns trying to start and run a convent in the Himalayas where things don't go well as it features great work from Deborah Kerr, Sabu, David Farrar, and a mesmerizing performance from Kathleen Byron as Sister Ruth.

• jeana thacker

★★★½ Added by jeana thacker

The film "Black Narcissus" in an oddity amongst British films of its time. The setting of the film is unusual because of its exotic nature with the exotic cultures in the mix. But what truly makes it an oddity is its story about narcissism amongst Anglican nuns in a foreign land which hints the "Narcissus" in its title. The nature of the story is very unusual for its time even in Britain by the fact that it made nuns seem…

• Rob Hill

★★★½ Watched by Rob Hill 25 Apr, 2016 2

Mr. Dean: 'There's something in the atmosphere here that makes everything seem exaggerated.'

That accounts for the acting. Profoundly beautiful but too melodramatic for me.

• Brent Paton

★★★½ Watched by Brent Paton 22 Apr, 2016

Amazing photography and lighting. The colors in so many scenes are beautifully juxtaposed. Some of the matte shots are obvious but I was still very surprised it was shot completely at the studio in England. I didn't really connect with the characters but it was an interesting story and thankfully not overlong. Strong performances.

• Ewan

★★★½ Rewatched by Ewan 17 Apr, 2016

I came round on The Red Shoes but I'm still trying to find my way in on this film, gorgeous though it looks. The performances are pitched at such a high level of camp that I believe this is a masterpiece without feeling it. Also there's the regrettable whitewashing of Indian roles by white actors (aside from Sabu). Give it another 10 years and I may see the light.

• David Kociol

★★★★★ Added by David Kociol

Absolute masterpiece of a film that manages to, in absolute picturesque beauty, show off the beautiful imagery one would imagine seeing at a convent in the Indian mountains. Filled with great dramatic moments that I don't remember too well because I watched it ten years ago, but I still remember the intense thriller elements and astounding imagery.

• Corey Hiscocks

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Hiscocks 14 Apr, 2016

Won't be at all surprised if, after a couple more viewings, this is my favorite film of all time.

• micah1984

★★★★½ Rewatched by micah1984 14 Apr, 2016

Whoa. It's a lot scarier than I remember.

• Alex Lovendahl

★★★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 10 Apr, 2016

o be honest, I'm not sure if I would've found a treasure in this quiet film about, well, correct white men in the face of Christianity and India, but Powell and Pressburger work exceptionally hard to build a beautiful set and, through formal elements, create a tense setting.

This one's all formal for me; though the performances are good, it's the craft that sets Black Narcissus apart. It's hard to believe this film was shot in the 40s; the quality…