• Billy Housh

★★★½ Watched by Billy Housh 29 Sep, 2014

The use of colour in this film made me nauseous in what I want to say is a good way but I'm still not sure.

"Finish the beating and begin to feel like a man. AHAHA HA HAA!!" - Angu Ayah

• Dragonknight

★★★★★ Watched by Dragonknight 26 Sep, 2014 2

Film #29 of Project 40

”Remember, the superior of all is the servant of all.”

To put it simply Black Narcissus is about failure. About limitation. About arrogance. About madness. It was a terrifying experience to tell you the truth. On the surface it is a gorgeously shot movie with sharp colors and beautiful scenery but beneath this dazzling superficial layer lies a petrifying world of carnal desires, verbal threats and mental confusion with characters who are haunted by their…

• Pete Laurie

★★★ Watched by Pete Laurie 07 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• JamesLebowski

★★★★ Watched by JamesLebowski 06 Sep, 2014

Black Narcissus is based on the novel of the same name by Rumer Godden and sees a group of nuns establish a convent in an old Indian palace with the goal of converting the locals to Christianity.
    But the women aren’t as great of a team as it first seems and intrigue and far too human desires result in quite some troubles among them and with the locals.

The main focus is on Deborah Kerr’s Sister Clodagh, who leads the…

• t_pitty

★★★★½ Added by t_pitty

Stunning. P&P's best. Only thing holding it back from 5 stars is that lingering scent of xenophobia and colonialism that's in pretty much everything they did. BUT THEY'RE OLD SO THAT MEANS IT'S OK, RIGHT??

• fuguette

★★★½ Watched by fuguette 02 Apr, 2012

It was as much a visual feast as everyone always makes it out to be, but I had the same problem with this that I had with The Red Shoes—the emotional simplicity of the characters fails to earn the scope and grandeur of the setting. It probably would have been a much better film with less dialogue, less exposition, and without the Young General/Kanchi storyline (featuring white actors in brownface— gross).

• Jude Seymour

Watched by Jude Seymour 11 Jun, 2002

Tonight the movie pick was “Black Narcissus”, a 1940s Technicolor film starring Deborah Kerr as this nun who becomes the Mother Superior in a very sexualized Indian mountain town.

She watches her nunnery slowly disintegrate as the multiple adjustments start to affect them all (including good ol’ Deborah). Good flick, and I couldn’t get over how good the transfer looked in sections. There was really some brilliant color displays (good job by the Criterion people; it is one of the themes in the movie as well).

• Elijah Davidson

★★★★ Watched by Elijah Davidson 20 Aug, 2014

I was one of those guys who ill-advisedly "kissed dating goodbye" for a while. I understand how Sister Rose feels.

If ever you thought you might want to join a religious order, this movie might change your mind.

• Paul Lister

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Lister 19 Aug, 2014

A production by The Archers - that's Emeric Pressburger and Michael Powell to you and me - Black Narcissus is stunning cinema. I love the Technicolor of films from the 1940's, it produces such vivid colours. Colour may have been a round for a number of years by this point but it still wasn't the norm for films to use it, seeing this film or any other by The Archers must have blown people away back in those days, hell…

• Jacob C-S

★★★★ Watched by Jacob C-S 10 Aug, 2014

A tale of mystery, intrigue, lust and desire set in a convent in the Himalayas. Starts of fairly slow, but gets increasingly better until the thrilling climax. Visually stunning of course and shot in lush technicolor, Powell and Pressburger are a directing duo that never disappoint.

• Colonel_Dax

★★★★★ Rewatched by Colonel_Dax 06 Aug, 2014

There's a moment where Jack Cardiff points his camera straight down, looking at the nun ringing the bell, standing on the edge of a lush, seemingly endless abyss. That shot serves as a microcosm for the film as a whole- beautiful, thrilling, and above all, entirely captivating in a way that only the best of Archers do.

Anchored by impeccable performances, the film is in total control of its tone, occasionally shifting from melancholy, to whimsy, to a finale that's…

• Ian W. Hill

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian W. Hill 08 Aug, 2014

Richer and richer. Sexier and sexier. Seems shorter each time I see it, not in a rushed or bad way. Kathleen Byron gets more beautiful and terrifying. Sister Clodagh's memories become more heartbreaking. David Farrar more handsome and impotent. So unsure whether this or RED SHOES is the Archers' masterpiece. It's whatever I'm watching at the time, I guess (now watching RED SHOES)...