• Ashley Lane

★★★★½ Watched by Ashley Lane 27 Aug, 2015

More head-scratching courtesy of the BBFC, which gave Black Narcissus a U certificate. It’s a bit confusing because the film features a nun with a vividly blood-stained habit, but it’s even more puzzling when you consider the film’s themes. I suspect that Black Narcissus got it’s U certificate because the BBFC thinks that children won’t really understand what’s on the screen. Amusingly, when the film was first released in 1947 it suffered from the opposite problem. In America, the Catholic…

• Carlos Valladares

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Valladares 16 Aug, 2015

A sumptuous spiritual movie that features this glorious reveal of a nun wearing—GIGAGASP—a RED DRESS!!! Powell and Pressburger transport us to a lush, romanticized Himalayan mountainside to follow Deborah Kerr and her Rat Pack of Nuns as they try to bring some “sivilisation” to the local Indians. But their attempt backfires when they suddenly find themselves inexplicably entranced by the area’s mystical juju. This movie’s a stunner—interesting to look at, with steel-willed, unbreakable females who are strong as hell. I wonder if Hitchcock saw this when he decided to make Vertigo?....

• 'Becca'lise

★★★★½ Rewatched by 'Becca'lise 24 Aug, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge 43/250
    AKA "Nuns With Bitchface"

• Craig Duffy

★★★★½ Rewatched by Craig Duffy 24 Aug, 2015

Still crazy after all these years. Would make an interesting double bill with The Shining. Movies about places that drive people crazy for no expressly stated reasons.

• Lorenzo Benitez

★★★★★ Rewatched by Lorenzo Benitez 19 Aug, 2015

Gorgeous. A tense, sensual thriller that's not only a paragon of genre filmmaking, but also one of the most palpable cinematic representations of a suppressed sexuality. Narcissus' greatness is heightened by its secondary, though no less nuanced, exploration of the misplaced charity of neocolonialism in the 20th Century. The Technicolor cinematography, hyper-real production design and melodramatic acting together create a deeply ominous, unforgettably hyperbolic tone. Even more stunning when you realise it was made in 1947.

• Michael Bishay

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Bishay 20 Aug, 2015

So beautiful. And that's just David Farrar.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 16 Aug, 2015

Staggeringly beautiful and packed with simmering, repressed emotions. The use of colour, camera movement and scope would make this essential viewing even if the rest was terrible but the rest isn't - the storyline is fascinating and strangely subversive, kwpt on the tracks by a vibrant cast.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 10 Aug, 2015

In Martin Scorseses commentary of Black Narcissus, he mentions a specific shot of some pink gardenia flowers that made the audience gasp because of it's beautiful technicolour glow. He mentions that to truly appreciate it, "you've gotta see it on a big screen. Bigger than your normal cineplex. Bigger than that."

I did it Marty. I finally saw Black Narcissus on the big screen. A very big screen. And it was marvelous.

• NateRad

★★★★ Watched by NateRad 16 Aug, 2015 1

This is a film that encompasses a subject I'm particularly interested in
    That subject is insanity
    The breaking down of the human mind
    The cinematography is great too

• Sally Jane Black

Watched by Sally Jane Black 14 Aug, 2015 5

In a perfect world, this is what comic book movies would look like. Powell and Pressburger took every visual trick in the book, it feels like, to craft this. It's not just the colors (which are widely touted) nor the painted backdrops (which feel more real than the best CGI) nor the huge spaces (which convey isolation and expansiveness at once--you feel so small and alone knowing how much of the world there is). It's also the blocking (see how…

• Andrew Willis

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Willis 27 Sep, 2010

A few years ago when I bought my first iPod I started listening to podcasts. This was a relatively new medium at the time. iTunes had a few hundred listed, but that was all. At that time most of the content out there was pretty amateurish. You could tell it was recorded by a few stoned dudes sitting in their mothers basement. The podcast that stood out for me was called Filmspotting. A play on the title of the Danny…

• Marm7385

★★★★ Watched by Marm7385 07 Aug, 2015

Terribly affecting . . . Kind of dark but also really lovely. Sort of a combo of The King and I and The Nun's Story