• Ben Richards

★★★★ Watched by Ben Richards 10 Apr, 2014

As per usual from the Archers I wasn't disappointed with this in the slightest and although it does look a bit dated (you really can tell it's on a set in parts) it's still a beautiful film.

• Anny

★★★★★ Rewatched by Anny 22 Apr, 2014

Nothing is sexier than a handyman riding a foal.

• Goodwin

★★★★★ Watched by Goodwin 16 Apr, 2014

Visually stupendous tale of erotic longing and hysteria. Does not hit on all notes as do the very best of Powell and Pressburger, but what it does is hard to believe. It seems impossible this film was shot where it was shot. As a feat of filmmaking it is unparalleled.

• Blots

★★★★ Watched by Blots 19 Apr, 2014

Another feat of Powell and Pressburger. Its ambition is boundless, and yet somehow completely unassuming. The reach of its illusions (like the studio-based interior/exterior set) are either so seamless that they're indistinguishable from reality, or so pronounced (the vivid matte paintings, fantasy transitions) that they're purely lyrical. Also, I can't stop thinking about Kathleen Byron's incredible red eyes.

The more I think about the film, the more I like it – I'm sure I'll revisit it for many years to come.

• Dimitris Dx

★★★★½ Watched by Dimitris Dx 19 Apr, 2014

Πριν από τα κόκκινα του Ντάριο Αρτζέντο, υπήρχαν τα κόκκινα του Μάικλ Πάουελ. <3

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 13 Jan, 2010

Not the stodgy nun's tale I was (foolishly) expecting; it's full of life and vigour and colour, even before Sister Ruth does away with her habit and puts on lipstick. Powell said it was the most erotic film he ever made, and I have a hard time arguing that, even without seeing the vast majority of his work; the exotic setting, emotionally-charged story, and incredibly alive performances all reinforce this.

And, holy fuck, what cinematography. Shot in a studio? You've gotta be shitting me.

• Terése Flynn

★★★★ Watched by Terése Flynn 15 Apr, 2014 2

Everything has already been said when it comes to how beautiful this movie is, with the colours, authentic enviroments, lightning and so on. Hat off for that. But everything else then:

My expectations were pretty high, I must admit, and I was somewhat disappointed when it came to the main plot in Black Narcissus. Which for the most part is painted in watercolours, when it should've been painted with hard strokes of coal. But I guess the scene with the…

• Eric

★★★★★ Watched by Eric 02 Apr, 2009

In the 1940s, the British filmmaking duo of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger completed a series of masterpieces in what was their most prolific decade. Although A Matter of Life and Death can more accurately be described as the first film in which Powell, Pressburger, and cinematographer Jack Cardiff utilized color as a means of expressing the interior emotions of a character, perhaps no singular effort is more emblematic of their collective talents than Black Narcissus. As a film very…

• Marco Gennuso

★★★ Added by Marco Gennuso

So dope.

• Peng

★★★★ Watched by Peng 21 Mar, 2014

Being a film with an increasingly psychological edge, the histrionic acting lacks the nuance necessary for the build-up to feel organic. It is aided by the spectacular set though, full of glorious colors and its feeling of nature's harshness (even though it is filmed in a studio). The histrionics turn out to work well in the film's second half, when the emotions blow up and everything resembles an operatic horror set piece, right down to the gripping, tense climax.

• Raúl Cornejo

★★★★★ Watched by Raúl Cornejo 18 Mar, 2014

Deborah Kerr / Kathleen Bryon / Jean Simmons, viento y Jack Cardiff

• Sean Frost

★★★★ Watched by Sean Frost 16 Mar, 2014

An interesting examination of hubris, using the setting of a convent in a remote mountain. Regrettable 1940s "native" makeup is the only detraction on this harrowing film.