• Lorenzo Benitez

★★★★★ Rewatched by Lorenzo Benitez 19 Aug, 2015

Gorgeous. A tense, sensual thriller that's not only a paragon of genre filmmaking, but also one of the most palpable cinematic representations of a suppressed sexuality. Narcissus' greatness is heightened by its secondary, though no less nuanced, exploration of the misplaced charity of neocolonialism in the 20th Century. The Technicolor cinematography, hyper-real production design and melodramatic acting together create a deeply ominous, unforgettably hyperbolic tone. Even more stunning when you realise it was made in 1947.

• Michael Bishay

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Bishay 20 Aug, 2015

So beautiful. And that's just David Farrar.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 16 Aug, 2015

Staggeringly beautiful and packed with simmering, repressed emotions. The use of colour, camera movement and scope would make this essential viewing even if the rest was terrible but the rest isn't - the storyline is fascinating and strangely subversive, kwpt on the tracks by a vibrant cast.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 10 Aug, 2015

In Martin Scorseses commentary of Black Narcissus, he mentions a specific shot of some pink gardenia flowers that made the audience gasp because of it's beautiful technicolour glow. He mentions that to truly appreciate it, "you've gotta see it on a big screen. Bigger than your normal cineplex. Bigger than that."

I did it Marty. I finally saw Black Narcissus on the big screen. A very big screen. And it was marvelous.

• qarmstrong

★★★★★ Added by qarmstrong

Somebody needs to take Rob Zombie and Eli Roth and force them to watch this movie on repeat. It’s an almost perfect model for the structure of a horror movie. It’s a little like Die Hard: starts off slow, builds our investment in the characters before really taking the lid off. The first hour feels like an unusually talented studio hack working on a typical picture, but then… For the last half hour my jaw was on the floor. What…

• Brian Welk

★★★★★ Watched by Brian Welk 09 Jul, 2015

So lush and gorgeous. And in color! It grows from a fairly stately story to one that's blooming in melodrama, and it's just amazing.

• Jake E. B.

★★★★★ Watched by Jake E. B. 11 Jul, 2015 2

"I told you it was no place to put a nunnery. There's something in the atmosphere that makes everything seem exaggerated."

I genuinely hope that Sister Ruth visits me in my nightmares.

• Ken Guidry

★★★★★ Watched by Ken Guidry 09 Jul, 2015

I watched Red Shoes and Black Narcissus back-to-back, my introduction to Powell/Pressburger.

Whereas Red Shoes dazzled me with its incredibly lavish, colorful style and breath-taking ballet sequences, Black Narcissus nearly made my jaw drop with how immaculate its production design and cinematography is. That overhead shot of sister superior ringing that bell which is located next to a cliff, first it's just a marvel of striking imagery, but soon it becomes more ominous and threatening. An astounding work of foreshadowing…

• Corey Atad

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Atad 07 Jul, 2015

Bitches be cray! But who can blame 'em when they're sexually repressed by a strict religious order, thrown into the sensual howling winds of the Indian Himalayas, and confronted with a strong-jawed, legs-to-the-sky, hairy-chested Adonis named Dean?

• Joren Cain

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joren Cain 30 Jun, 2015

Between this, "Colonel Blimp," and "The Red Shoes," it's indisputable that Michael Powell was one the best directors in all of cinema. A beautiful synthesis of acting, cinematography, music, art direction, and mood, "Black Natcissus" pits 5 or so nuns against nature. Like the character of Mr. Dean, Werner Herzog could have predicted that they never would have lasted on that mountain. But the film, part romance and part horror, leads down paths that are both unpredictable and truthful.

• Timcop

★★★★★ Rewatched by Timcop 28 Jun, 2015

The second film about sexually repressed nuns going mad in a remote location that I've seen this week, this time featuring way less systematic torture. Who would've thought that technicolor could be so terrifying.

• John Sant