• Joe Gola

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe Gola 23 Nov, 2015

One of the all-time great movies. It's about a bunch of nuns who travel to the Himalayas to found a new convent, but don't let that fool you — the film is almost wickedly secular, and beneath its entertaining story and well-drawn characters there are undercurrents of strangeness and dark humor. If you ask me, it's the best movie the Archers ever did, and that's really saying something.

• Ryan Meyers

★★★★★ Added by Ryan Meyers

Five nuns who make a brothel into a convent experience the hardships of starting a mission in the Himalayas. A rewatch of this is exactly what I needed to reaffirm my questioning if it was as great as I believed it to be the first few times. It is even greater.

First off, the cast is a total marvel. We get Archers regular David Farrar playing a seductive, rugged Englishman - the perfect kind of character to make all these…

• Andy Patterson

★★★★★ Watched by Andy Patterson 06 Oct, 2015

A film about erotic tension and sexual repression in such prudish times was almost unspeakable, but Powell and Pressburger's Black Narcissus was about nuns holding back their carnal desires. It's a glorious technicolor film, the Himalayas setting brought to life with staggering beauty, filmed entirely in film studios and a Kent tropical garden. It's a furiously intense and incredibly cinematic work from one of the greatest directing duos in film history.

• Michael Nazarewycz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Nazarewycz 30 Jun, 2015

I had the great pleasure to revisit this tremendous film for Way Too Indie. My coverage of that, and other P&P films, can be found here: waytooindie.com/news/tiff-technicolor-and-the-archers-in-three-two-one/

• Paddy Hannan

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Hannan 14 Sep, 2015

September 2015: 33 British Films I Still Haven't Seen

Black Narcissus is a perfect, utterly compulsive film. It has a uniquely strange, brooding atmosphere and is pregnant with strangled emotions of desire, lust and jealousy. From its perfectly judged editing and measured pace, to its extraordinary use of colour, every moment is perfectly composed and every frame is a thing of beauty.
    It seems to me an amazing technical achievement in every respect.

Black Narcissus would have also fit quite perfectly into next month's season, Films of Unease, Disquiet and Pervasive Dread (Part 1)

• Harry Rossi

★★★★★ Watched by Harry Rossi 04 Sep, 2015 1

I can tell it's gonna be incredibly difficult choosing a favorite Archers film. All the ones I've seen have been pretty friggin magnificent. This one especially played into a lot of the things that I find interesting, such as sexual repression. Supposedly a lot of this film was trimmed down for the initial American release and it's not hard to see why! This film is just bubbling with wonderful tensions, with the "villain" of the film SPOILER going totally mad…

• RetroReef

★★★★★ Watched by RetroReef 03 Sep, 2015

Gorgeous movie. I'd put this just behind Blimp and The Red Shoes, but really wonderful all around. I'm sure I'll watch it many more times.

• Wayne Pollock

★★★★★ Watched by Wayne Pollock 30 Aug, 2015

One of the most amazing films I've seen in my life. Words cannot do justice to the sublime beauty of this film. It was visually stunning, complex and worked on more levels than I could take in on a single viewing.

• Michael Bishay

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Bishay 20 Aug, 2015

So beautiful. And that's just David Farrar.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 16 Aug, 2015

Staggeringly beautiful and packed with simmering, repressed emotions. The use of colour, camera movement and scope would make this essential viewing even if the rest was terrible but the rest isn't - the storyline is fascinating and strangely subversive, kwpt on the tracks by a vibrant cast.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 10 Aug, 2015

In Martin Scorseses commentary of Black Narcissus, he mentions a specific shot of some pink gardenia flowers that made the audience gasp because of it's beautiful technicolour glow. He mentions that to truly appreciate it, "you've gotta see it on a big screen. Bigger than your normal cineplex. Bigger than that."

I did it Marty. I finally saw Black Narcissus on the big screen. A very big screen. And it was marvelous.

• qarmstrong

★★★★★ Added by qarmstrong

Somebody needs to take Rob Zombie and Eli Roth and force them to watch this movie on repeat. It’s an almost perfect model for the structure of a horror movie. It’s a little like Die Hard: starts off slow, builds our investment in the characters before really taking the lid off. The first hour feels like an unusually talented studio hack working on a typical picture, but then… For the last half hour my jaw was on the floor. What…