• qarmstrong

★★★★★ Added by qarmstrong

Somebody needs to take Rob Zombie and Eli Roth and force them to watch this movie on repeat. It’s an almost perfect model for the structure of a horror movie. It’s a little like Die Hard: starts off slow, builds our investment in the characters before really taking the lid off. The first hour feels like an unusually talented studio hack working on a typical picture, but then… For the last half hour my jaw was on the floor. What…

• Brian Welk

★★★★★ Watched by Brian Welk 09 Jul, 2015

So lush and gorgeous. And in color! It grows from a fairly stately story to one that's blooming in melodrama, and it's just amazing.

• Jake E. B.

★★★★★ Watched by Jake E. B. 11 Jul, 2015 2

"I told you it was no place to put a nunnery. There's something in the atmosphere that makes everything seem exaggerated."

I genuinely hope that Sister Ruth visits me in my nightmares.

• Ken Guidry

★★★★★ Watched by Ken Guidry 09 Jul, 2015

I watched Red Shoes and Black Narcissus back-to-back, my introduction to Powell/Pressburger.

Whereas Red Shoes dazzled me with its incredibly lavish, colorful style and breath-taking ballet sequences, Black Narcissus nearly made my jaw drop with how immaculate its production design and cinematography is. That overhead shot of sister superior ringing that bell which is located next to a cliff, first it's just a marvel of striking imagery, but soon it becomes more ominous and threatening. An astounding work of foreshadowing…

• Corey Atad

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Atad 07 Jul, 2015

Bitches be cray! But who can blame 'em when they're sexually repressed by a strict religious order, thrown into the sensual howling winds of the Indian Himalayas, and confronted with a strong-jawed, legs-to-the-sky, hairy-chested Adonis named Dean?

• Joren Cain

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joren Cain 30 Jun, 2015

Between this, "Colonel Blimp," and "The Red Shoes," it's indisputable that Michael Powell was one the best directors in all of cinema. A beautiful synthesis of acting, cinematography, music, art direction, and mood, "Black Natcissus" pits 5 or so nuns against nature. Like the character of Mr. Dean, Werner Herzog could have predicted that they never would have lasted on that mountain. But the film, part romance and part horror, leads down paths that are both unpredictable and truthful.

• Timcop

★★★★★ Rewatched by Timcop 28 Jun, 2015

The second film about sexually repressed nuns going mad in a remote location that I've seen this week, this time featuring way less systematic torture. Who would've thought that technicolor could be so terrifying.

• John Sant

★★★★★ Rewatched by John Sant 14 Jun, 2015

14 June 2015 🔄 ★★★★★

• rkornhauser

★★★★★ Rewatched by rkornhauser 31 May, 2015

Debe de tener los mejores Crazy Eyes del cine. Ah, los conflictos de la pasión y la religión, cuántas horas de reflexión y arte pueden darnos.

• Olevar

★★★★★ Rewatched by Olevar 31 May, 2015 3

Me perdonará San Gordon Willis, pero qué manera tan absolutamente magistral tiene Jack Cardiff de retratar las miradas y los ojos de los personajes. No solamente para mostrar el descenso a la locura de la hermana Ruth, sino en cada fade out que se hace sobre Sister Clodagh. Todo se va poco a poco a negros, pero por un segundo sus ojos permanecen brillando. Se siente hasta mágico.

¿Y la película? Pues una gloria. Creo que no hay una de las que he visto de Powell y Pressburger o de Powell dirigiendo solo, que no me parezca maravillosa.

• Elsa López

★★★★★ Added by Elsa López

Qué cinta más hermosa. Lo que más me gustó es esta sutileza con la que nos transporta a la locura de Ruth (y de todas, quizás). Los paisajes quietos, la mirada de la locura en primer plano y el trasfondo religioso: sublime.

• Joe Campbell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe Campbell 27 May, 2015 1

This is one of the most technically fascinating movies I've ever seen. The entire film is shot in a soundstage to look like it's the Himalayas, resulting in some iconic sets, beautiful matte paintings, and striking imagery.

In fact, striking imagery make up a good portion of this film, as it starts out as little more than an unconventional story of nuns losing themselves in the mountains, then becomes an all out horror film in the third act. The theme…