• David Kociol

★★★★★ Added by David Kociol

Absolute masterpiece of a film that manages to, in absolute picturesque beauty, show off the beautiful imagery one would imagine seeing at a convent in the Indian mountains. Filled with great dramatic moments that I don't remember too well because I watched it ten years ago, but I still remember the intense thriller elements and astounding imagery.

• Corey Hiscocks

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Hiscocks 14 Apr, 2016

Won't be at all surprised if, after a couple more viewings, this is my favorite film of all time.

• EvanstonDad

★★★★★ Added by EvanstonDad

This spellbinding movie from that spellbinding film-making team (Powell and Pressburger) is another entry in the long line of literary and film stories that revolve around British restraint and repression unraveling under the force of mysterious foreign cultures (usually Eastern and frequently Indian), and it's one of the best.

A group of nuns travel to the Himalayas to do missionary work among the natives, but instead find themselves coming under the mystical spell of the place and people around them.…

• Charlie Nash

★★★★★ Watched by Charlie Nash 13 Mar, 2016

An extravagantly gorgeous melodrama about how our repressed feelings blind us from moving forward in our lives. Astonishing on every level.

• Jack Keating

★★★★★ Watched by Jack Keating 12 Mar, 2016

First and foremost, I am not one to simply "flock" towards films that contain religion. So I haven't seen films such as Ben-Hur or The Ten Commandments, as it doesn't interest me. I am, if you couldn't conclude, an atheist.

Black Narcissus is a religious psychological drama directed by the powerhouse pairing Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and it was released in 1947. The film follows a group of nuns who are alone in a convent in the Himalayas where…

• ToTheMovies

★★★★★ Rewatched by ToTheMovies 08 Mar, 2016

Exceptional

• karstares5

★★★★★ Added by karstares5

One of the most visually stunning films ever made.

• Tracy

★★★★★ Added by Tracy

Haunting images surround a story that is rare, both for its time and now.

• Kevin Hsieh

★★★★★ Watched by Kevin Hsieh 17 Jan, 2016

100/100

• crucifixion

★★★★★ Watched by crucifixion 08 Jan, 2016

🔪 January Scavenger Hunt 🔪
    letterboxd.com/crucifixion/list/january-scavenger-hunt/
    #12. A nunsploitation film

Almost rivals Suspiria as the most visually stunning film I've seen. Mountain backdrops painted on glass, sugary pinks and blues, habits flowing in the Himalayan wind. Even the most mundane scenes in the film feel imbued with atmosphere.

Though not as lurid as what would immediately come to mind when hearing the term "nunsploitation", it still feels subversive given its historical context. This is my first Powell film (I'm embarrassed to never have seen Peeping Tom) and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction.

• Vincent Briscoe

★★★★★ Watched by Vincent Briscoe 26 Dec, 2015

I guess it's about not being satisfied with your sacrifices. It's also very very subtly erotic.

It makes sense that Scorsese loves this movie. The way Powell and Pressburger flourish moments of sensation to slightly heighten emotion has influenced all of filmmaking.

I'm glad I own this movie now because even though it was a breeze to get through, Black Narcissus is dense in both its themes and technical triumphs.

• tpkulovitz

★★★★★ Watched by tpkulovitz 18 Dec, 2015

Nuns in a remote convent start out with promising intentions and goals, but slowly start to unravel emotionally over the course of time. Glorious color and a slow transformation into a psychological thriller make this one something special.