• Michael Nazarewycz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Nazarewycz 30 Jun, 2015

I had the great pleasure to revisit this tremendous film for Way Too Indie. My coverage of that, and other P&P films, can be found here: waytooindie.com/news/tiff-technicolor-and-the-archers-in-three-two-one/

• Paddy Walker

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Walker 14 Sep, 2015

September 2015: 33 British Films I Still Haven't Seen

Black Narcissus is a perfect, utterly compulsive film. It has a uniquely strange, brooding atmosphere and is pregnant with strangled emotions of desire, lust and jealousy. From its perfectly judged editing and measured pace, to its extraordinary use of colour, every moment is perfectly composed and every frame is a thing of beauty.
    It seems to me an amazing technical achievement in every respect.

Black Narcissus would have also fit quite perfectly into next month's season, Films of Unease, Disquiet and Pervasive Dread (Part 1)

• Harry Rossi

★★★★★ Watched by Harry Rossi 04 Sep, 2015 1

I can tell it's gonna be incredibly difficult choosing a favorite Archers film. All the ones I've seen have been pretty friggin magnificent. This one especially played into a lot of the things that I find interesting, such as sexual repression. Supposedly a lot of this film was trimmed down for the initial American release and it's not hard to see why! This film is just bubbling with wonderful tensions, with the "villain" of the film SPOILER going totally mad…

• RetroReef

★★★★★ Watched by RetroReef 03 Sep, 2015

Gorgeous movie. I'd put this just behind Blimp and The Red Shoes, but really wonderful all around. I'm sure I'll watch it many more times.

• Wayne Pollock

★★★★★ Watched by Wayne Pollock 30 Aug, 2015

One of the most amazing films I've seen in my life. Words cannot do justice to the sublime beauty of this film. It was visually stunning, complex and worked on more levels than I could take in on a single viewing.

• Michael Bishay

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Bishay 20 Aug, 2015

So beautiful. And that's just David Farrar.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 16 Aug, 2015

Staggeringly beautiful and packed with simmering, repressed emotions. The use of colour, camera movement and scope would make this essential viewing even if the rest was terrible but the rest isn't - the storyline is fascinating and strangely subversive, kwpt on the tracks by a vibrant cast.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 10 Aug, 2015

In Martin Scorseses commentary of Black Narcissus, he mentions a specific shot of some pink gardenia flowers that made the audience gasp because of it's beautiful technicolour glow. He mentions that to truly appreciate it, "you've gotta see it on a big screen. Bigger than your normal cineplex. Bigger than that."

I did it Marty. I finally saw Black Narcissus on the big screen. A very big screen. And it was marvelous.

• qarmstrong

★★★★★ Added by qarmstrong

Somebody needs to take Rob Zombie and Eli Roth and force them to watch this movie on repeat. It’s an almost perfect model for the structure of a horror movie. It’s a little like Die Hard: starts off slow, builds our investment in the characters before really taking the lid off. The first hour feels like an unusually talented studio hack working on a typical picture, but then… For the last half hour my jaw was on the floor. What…

• Brian Welk

★★★★★ Watched by Brian Welk 09 Jul, 2015

So lush and gorgeous. And in color! It grows from a fairly stately story to one that's blooming in melodrama, and it's just amazing.

• Jake E. B.

★★★★★ Watched by Jake E. B. 11 Jul, 2015 2

"I told you it was no place to put a nunnery. There's something in the atmosphere that makes everything seem exaggerated."

I genuinely hope that Sister Ruth visits me in my nightmares.

• Ken Guidry

★★★★★ Watched by Ken Guidry 09 Jul, 2015

I watched Red Shoes and Black Narcissus back-to-back, my introduction to Powell/Pressburger.

Whereas Red Shoes dazzled me with its incredibly lavish, colorful style and breath-taking ballet sequences, Black Narcissus nearly made my jaw drop with how immaculate its production design and cinematography is. That overhead shot of sister superior ringing that bell which is located next to a cliff, first it's just a marvel of striking imagery, but soon it becomes more ominous and threatening. An astounding work of foreshadowing…