• Tracy

★★★★★ Added by Tracy

Haunting images surround a story that is rare, both for its time and now.

• Kevin Hsieh

★★★★★ Watched by Kevin Hsieh 17 Jan, 2016

100/100

• crucifixion

★★★★★ Watched by crucifixion 08 Jan, 2016

🔪 January Scavenger Hunt 🔪
    letterboxd.com/crucifixion/list/january-scavenger-hunt/
    #12. A nunsploitation film

Almost rivals Suspiria as the most visually stunning film I've seen. Mountain backdrops painted on glass, sugary pinks and blues, habits flowing in the Himalayan wind. Even the most mundane scenes in the film feel imbued with atmosphere.

Though not as lurid as what would immediately come to mind when hearing the term "nunsploitation", it still feels subversive given its historical context. This is my first Powell film (I'm embarrassed to never have seen Peeping Tom) and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction.

• Vincent Briscoe

★★★★★ Watched by Vincent Briscoe 26 Dec, 2015

I guess it's about not being satisfied with your sacrifices. It's also very very subtly erotic.

It makes sense that Scorsese loves this movie. The way Powell and Pressburger flourish moments of sensation to slightly heighten emotion has influenced all of filmmaking.

I'm glad I own this movie now because even though it was a breeze to get through, Black Narcissus is dense in both its themes and technical triumphs.

• tpkulovitz

★★★★★ Watched by tpkulovitz 18 Dec, 2015

Nuns in a remote convent start out with promising intentions and goals, but slowly start to unravel emotionally over the course of time. Glorious color and a slow transformation into a psychological thriller make this one something special.

• Jonathan

★★★★★ Watched by Jonathan 21 Dec, 2015

Black Narcissus is a film that focuses on religion and the demons of our past that come to haunt us. It's where we are that makes us try to get away from it all but something comes in between us.

The film follows a group of Anglican Nuns who travel to a remote location in the Himalaya's. Here they set up a school in the house of a old general played by Esmond Knight only for little children of both…

• Joe Gola

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe Gola 23 Nov, 2015

One of the all-time great movies. It's about a bunch of nuns who travel to the Himalayas to found a new convent, but don't let that fool you — the film is almost wickedly secular, and beneath its entertaining story and well-drawn characters there are undercurrents of strangeness and dark humor. If you ask me, it's the best movie the Archers ever did, and that's really saying something.

• Ryan Meyers

★★★★★ Added by Ryan Meyers

Five nuns who make a brothel into a convent experience the hardships of starting a mission in the Himalayas. A rewatch of this is exactly what I needed to reaffirm my questioning if it was as great as I believed it to be the first few times. It is even greater.

First off, the cast is a total marvel. We get Archers regular David Farrar playing a seductive, rugged Englishman - the perfect kind of character to make all these…

• Andy Patterson

★★★★★ Watched by Andy Patterson 06 Oct, 2015

A film about erotic tension and sexual repression in such prudish times was almost unspeakable, but Powell and Pressburger's Black Narcissus was about nuns holding back their carnal desires. It's a glorious technicolor film, the Himalayas setting brought to life with staggering beauty, filmed entirely in film studios and a Kent tropical garden. It's a furiously intense and incredibly cinematic work from one of the greatest directing duos in film history.

• Michael Nazarewycz

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Nazarewycz 30 Jun, 2015

I had the great pleasure to revisit this tremendous film for Way Too Indie. My coverage of that, and other P&P films, can be found here: waytooindie.com/news/tiff-technicolor-and-the-archers-in-three-two-one/

• Paddy Hannan

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Hannan 14 Sep, 2015

September 2015: 33 British Films I Still Haven't Seen

Black Narcissus is a perfect, utterly compulsive film. It has a uniquely strange, brooding atmosphere and is pregnant with strangled emotions of desire, lust and jealousy. From its perfectly judged editing and measured pace, to its extraordinary use of colour, every moment is perfectly composed and every frame is a thing of beauty.
    It seems to me an amazing technical achievement in every respect.

Black Narcissus would have also fit quite perfectly into next month's season, Films of Unease, Disquiet and Pervasive Dread (Part 1)

• Irimiás and Petrina

★★★★★ Watched by Irimiás and Petrina 04 Sep, 2015 1

I can tell it's gonna be incredibly difficult choosing a favorite Archers film. All the ones I've seen have been pretty friggin magnificent. This one especially played into a lot of the things that I find interesting, such as sexual repression. Supposedly a lot of this film was trimmed down for the initial American release and it's not hard to see why! This film is just bubbling with wonderful tensions, with the "villain" of the film SPOILER going totally mad…