• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Darren Aronofsky's “Black Swan” is a full-bore melodrama, told with passionate intensity, gloriously and darkly absurd. It centers on a performance by Natalie Portman that is nothing short of heroic, and mirrors the conflict of good and evil in Tchaikovsky's ballet “Swan Lake.” It is one thing to lose yourself in your art. Portman's ballerina loses her mind.

Everything about classical ballet lends itself to excess. The art form is one of grand gesture, of the illusion of triumph over…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Charchuk 26 Jan, 2012

"…perfect…"

• Fesapo

★★★★½ Watched by Fesapo 20 Dec, 2010

92/100

• Austin Campbell

★★★★½ Added by Austin Campbell

Darren Aronofsky has truly outdone himself with BLACK SWAN. This psychological horror drama is expertly crafted and superbly acted by Natalie Portman who justly won an Oscar for her performance.

What isn't so easily noticeable is how great the editing is. There is a club scene where, if you do a frame by frame, you'd see all kinds of hidden images. Aronofsky's attention to detail is excellent in addition to the many brilliant decisions he did that made BLACK SWAN so effective.

• Ross Whyte

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ross Whyte 18 Apr, 2014

The build up in this film is so intense, and yet every time I forget just how powerful the horribly inevitable ending is.

• ab

★★★ Watched by ab 19 Apr, 2014 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Kieron Moore

★★★★ Watched by Kieron Moore 18 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Stephen

★★★★ Watched by Stephen 18 Apr, 2014

Who knew ballet could be so interesting?

• Richard Wibisono

★★★★½ Added by Richard Wibisono

Lesbian and Ballet
    What more do you want?

• Tarrant Qian

★★★★ Watched by Tarrant Qian 15 Apr, 2014

"The only person standing in your way is you." - Thomas Leroy

A dark, intense psychological thriller that's occasionally scary (and kinky), Black Swan is basically the definition of disturbing. Here we have a lovely ballet dancer who wins the role of the White and Black Swans in a production of Swan Lake. Which would be all fine and dandy if aforementioned dancer didn't have some serious psychological issues. I had a harder time telling what was real or not…

• Hunter

★★★★½ Watched by Hunter 15 Apr, 2014

A cruel tyrant, perfection is. It will drain you and consume you, leaving only a faint impression of what was once a human being. Black Swan explores the pursuit of perfection in stunning fashion, all its vanity and empty appeals dancing a glorious ballet, front and center stage.

Director Darren Aronofsky brings a psychological torment to his film that manages to bring us nowhere but down, down, down the rabbit hole. This descent is disturbing but fascinating, as we cannot…

• Scarlett Finch

★★★½ Watched by Scarlett Finch 14 Apr, 2014

I was very disconcerted when Bucky Barnes started flirting with Jane Foster.

I really don't like Natalie Portman but she was really great. I can admit it grudgingly, I guess.