• ehirsch

★★★★½ Watched by ehirsch 27 Jul, 2014

Watching this for the second time, it struck me that this may be Wes Anderson's best conventional film, with Rushmore&onwards moving away from a focus on story, character development, etc.

Peak Owen.

• Vincent Mollica

★★★★ Watched by Vincent Mollica 25 Jul, 2014

I stand by my evaluation that Anderson's first three features are untouchable and that he hasn't reached their peaks since (although Grand Budapest Hotel has forced me to reevaluate). There's a slowness to how Anderson cranks the gears in the film's opening reels, slipping into an affected quirkiness that his films would generally avoid later on (most notably in scenes like Luke Wilson meeting the cute female friend of Future Man, which is directed for maximum "Aww" factor). However, ones…

• Robert Kranzke

★★★★½ Added by Robert Kranzke

A genuine film.

• DUH

★★★½ Watched by DUH 24 Jul, 2014

One morning, over at Elizabeth's beach house, she asked me if I'd rather go waterskiing or lay out. And I realized that, not only did I not want to answer that question, but I never wanted to answer another watersports question, or see any of these people again for the rest of my life.

• ANDtheLettuce

★★★★ Watched by ANDtheLettuce 19 Jul, 2014

All the Wilson boys. Who could ask for anything more?

• Matt Conti

Rewatched by Matt Conti 20 Mar, 2014

If independent cinema of the 90s had a recurring theme, it would be the hangout film. While Anderson's feature film debut is far more plot oriented, he takes the time to give his characters breathing room. Like a Jarmusch film, it's the moments in between where the humanity comes out. One part French New Wave update, another part Richard Linklater Americana. It's perhaps the simplest of Wes Anderson films, but he's already pretty good at the start.

• Connor Denney

★★★★ Watched by Connor Denney 24 Jul, 2014

Wes Anderson's first feature film is a pleasant and entertaining film that, while quirky, does not let style take over substance and manages to tell an interesting and captivating story quite elegantly. It is very much character-driven, in that we are not interested so much in what happens but in how the characters respond to the plot.

The screenplay might be this film's strongest suit (though it is not lacking in other areas). The characters are written in a way…

• Kev.

★★★★½ Watched by Kev. 20 Jul, 2014

"They'll never catch me...because I'm fucking innocent."

Completely unlike anything I've ever seen from Wes Anderson, Bottle Rocket is a simple tale of a group of guys who want to experience some real danger! They can't just settle for the ordinary, they have this insatiable lust for adventure. Okay, most of this manifests itself in Dignam (played by Owen Wilson in his feature film debut), an innocent man-child who has all of these dreams for living dangerously. He goes so…

• Matthew Vallee

★★★ Watched by Matthew Vallee 17 Jul, 2014

This is probably the most normal Wes Anderson movie I have seen, perhaps because it was also his first feature film. It is definitely his least quirky movie although you can see glimpses of what is to come with some of the characters here as well as the style of some of the cinematography. The story was fairly simple but still pretty funny and entertaining to watch. It is one of the silliest heist movie I have ever seen and…

• pragya

★½ Added by pragya

Didn't enjoy this movie much, but an average movie by a brilliant director is anytime a better watch than a film by an average/poor director.

• Pratyushkh

½ Watched by Pratyushkh 18 Jul, 2014

I didn't like the movie. A recent Indian film 'Fukrey' had 3 idiots as protagonists. I like the concept as it shows how screwed up society is. However, I need a better movie out of this basic plotline.

• maraki_tpla

★★★ Watched by maraki_tpla 19 Jul, 2014 5

Grand Budapest Hotel> The Royal Tenenbaums> Moonrise Kingdom> The Darjeeling Limited> Rushmore> The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou> Fantastic Mr. Fox>>>>>>>>>>>> Bottle Rocket.