• Signora Fosca

★★★½ Watched by Signora Fosca 14 Apr, 2014

A solid debut feature. Lacking some of the depth that Anderson has certainly cultivated and clearly his signature style is still gestating inside at this point, but the simplicity of the story and the smart screenplay are all testaments to the true master that Anderson would later blossom into.

• TJ Duane

★★★★ Rewatched by TJ Duane 15 Nov, 2014

With commentary.

• feedingbrett

★★★ Rewatched by feedingbrett 16 Nov, 2014

Included In Lists:
    Criterion Collection - #450

Review In A Nutshell:

A person's debut film does not always expose the pure visionaries of an artist, but it displays enough for the audience to see that there is potential. Take a look at Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs; it clearly is a film that is still unrefined in its style, but it displays enough unconventional dialogue and extended takes, that it feels different from the other similar-plotted films. I chose to use…

• TJ Duane

★★★★ Rewatched by TJ Duane 15 Nov, 2014

Perfect casting: Jimmy Caan.

• fox

★★★ Watched by fox 29 Mar, 2014

this movie was okay, but not good enough to justify why so many film fans think this is wes andersons best work tbh. like it wasnt THAT good. luke wilson is hot

• Josh Liles

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Liles 09 Nov, 2014 2

This is it, the last film Anderson that i haven't seen now viewed and completed. I have seen all his filmography and it's become apparent that his older stuff is better in my opinion.

Bottle Rocket is now contending for my favourite Wes film; its lead actors, plot, style and writing come together for a perfect blend. Even the lack of Bill Murray seems like a good thing for once, his presence wouldn't of fit in with the film which…

• JaviOsuna

★★★★ Watched by JaviOsuna 06 Nov, 2014

The "Anderson Style" used as a tool to tell a interesting story instead as a story itself. Is that so difficult? Because certainly it's more gratifying.

• Samuel Harris

★★★★ Watched by Samuel Harris 05 Nov, 2014 1

Wes Anderson's directorial debut is a solid start.

• TicketHound11

Added by TicketHound11

Proto-wes-anderson

• Jacob Gehman

★★½ Added by Jacob Gehman

Luke and Owen Wilson make believable brothers... but friends? I fail to see it. There are some smart lines, some "awww" moments, and an absolutely hilarious robbery of a bookstore. But the script is rough, and the movie definitely feels like a first film.

• cnb

★★★½ Watched by cnb 27 Oct, 2014

The fastidiousness and visual wit characteristic of Anderson's later films are not as evident in this debut, though there are hints of it here and there. What is most attractive about this film are its fleet and understated humour, its boyish sense of adventure, and, finally, its heart. Not everything works, but there were moments when I laughed heartily (viz. the big hold-up during lunch), and comedies that can elicit that from me are too rare for me not to appreciate the exceptions.

• Charles Palentine

★★★½ Watched by Charles Palentine 09 Apr, 2013

Years in the making, Bottle Rocket displays Wes Anderson learning his craft that he will soon master with his next feature. There are several shots and stylistic moments that now an audience can recognize as uniquely Anderson, but in 1996 those moments would have been much more difficult to identify. So of course it is a different viewing experience in 2013, and I can only hope I would have enjoyed it then as much as I do now.
    Both Luke…