• Martin Kørra

★★★★ Watched by Martin Kørra 27 Aug, 2014

Has the cutest romance of probably any Wes Anderson film.

• Joshua Correll

★★★½ Rewatched by Joshua Correll 22 Aug, 2014

It all starts for Wes Anderson here. An impressive first feature that displays many of the traits that will come to define him in his future films. Both Luke and Owen Wilson show off there fine acting skills (a big step up for both of them from the short film version they created two years earlier) and for my money, the love story between Anthony and Inez is still the best that Anderson has made to date. I'm looking forward to re-watching the rest of Anderson's filmography between now and Halloween when I throw a themed party.

• Sam Williams

★★★½ Rewatched by Sam Williams 24 Aug, 2014

Doesn't really feel much like a Wes Anderson film as much as it feels like a typical 90's indie movie. The leaps from Bottle Rocket to Rushmore and Rushmore to The Royal Tenenbaums are pretty huge. Gets an extra half star because Dignan is one of my favorite Owen Wilson characters.

• Jude Seymour

★★ Rewatched by Jude Seymour 14 May, 2002

Part of the 24 Hour Movie Marathon

11:37am: Bottle Rocket fires up. The kiddies said they liked Lady from Shanghai. A couple moments I felt myself drifting; I probably should not lie down for future reference.Bought myself a caffeinated soda to help reenergize things. I think the food during Carlito’s Way will make things better too.

12:36pm: Almost an hour through Bottle Rocket now, and I dunno, I just don’t like this film like I like Rushmore or Tennenbaums. I…

• Jude Seymour

★★ Watched by Jude Seymour 16 Dec, 2001

I checked out "Bottle Rocket", and despite being the first film from "Rushmore" director Wes Anderson, it wasn't very fascinating.

I'm sure with subsequent watches the usual Anderson humor will start gnawing away at my sensibilities, allowing me to laugh at the most subtle points (much like in "Rushmore"), But for the most part I found the characters too eccentric, and their stories not nearly interesting enough to hold attention.

• moviereviewninj

★★★★½ Watched by moviereviewninj 16 Aug, 2014

A great debut by Wes Anderson that is funny and heartfelt.

• jroberts548

★★★½ Watched by jroberts548 10 Aug, 2014

I enjoyed this movie. It's not really representative of Anderson's style. He's not as confident and distinct a filmmaker as he is later. Owen and Luke Wilson's acting is great though, and is probably the best thing about about the movie.

• Steven Cohen

★★★½ Watched by Steven Cohen 04 Aug, 2014

Pretty rough, but still quite good for a first time feature. Some of Anderson's style elements are already present, but Bottle Rocket is distinct in its differences from the rest of the director's oeuvre. It is very loosely composed, aside from the heist scene in the final act, which is nice to see from such a regimented guy. Wouldn't mind seeing Anderson take a step back from his artificial style again in the future, while still using the tricks and tips he's picked up in the last 18 years.

• LUCAS HAYNES

★★½ Watched by LUCAS HAYNES 12 Aug, 2014 2

I was intrigued to see 'Bottle Rocket', being an early Wes Anderson film and I absolutely love the poster. But I don't know, I couldn't help but feel a little bit disappointed. I know it's wrong, but my expectations are always so high when watching a Wes Anderson film and I just didn't find that one that exciting. It was great for his first film, but aside from a few memorable scenes, I didn't find it that memorable. But hey, I'm a bit of a Scrooge and it's a great way to spend an hour and twenty minutes.

• Kurt Fabisch

★★★ Watched by Kurt Fabisch 09 Aug, 2014

It was okay, half-decent. But I've seen better similar debuts from directors.

Owen Wilson in his first movie shows how great he is and James Caan's good in a supporting role.

I didn't care for the fact that they set up this nice romance plot and... completely ditched it rather than resolving it before the end of the film. :\

Not bad, though.

• Gary Busey

★★★ Watched by Gary Busey 05 Aug, 2014

Bottle Rocket feels like exactly what it is; a first film. The film is not bad, in fact it's quite good. But it's about fifteen minutes too long, and it lacks the emotional core Wes Anderson's films now have. The two primary characters and a love interest are interesting and worthwhile characters, but otherwise no. There is a fair bit of humor; the heist scenes are generally hilarious, but overall the film lacks the thing that makes Wes Anderson the…

• The Spork Guy

★★★ Watched by The Spork Guy 20 Jul, 2014

The most unprofessional robbers attempt to do what their self-awarded job titles expect of them and soon become hold up in a motel complex off the beaten path. The situations are enjoyable and the expected quirkiness is the great ongoing payoff. Quietly awkward romances soar and over-zealous Owen Wilsons will muck things up for all hopes of progress. Dialogue may travel faster than your enthusiasm levels can, but James Caan will come into play just at the right time to…