• Dirk van Eck

★★ Watched by Dirk van Eck 28 Nov, 2015 1

That was it: the last Anderson I had yet to see, making it absolutely safe for me to state I’m not a fan. Bottle Rocket is by far the directors tamest piece in terms of aesthetics for which reason it feels even lighter than the rest of his catalogue — so light that it can barely sustain its brief runtime and feels sluggish in comparison to the ‘energetic temperedness’ that stylises other Anderson productions. It just occurred to me how…

• cherprayers

★★★ Watched by cherprayers 27 Nov, 2015

As with any Wes Anderson film, it's full of heart, but the characters didn't really resonate with me like the other Anderson films. It had some pretty funny moments, but overall I didn't get a whole lot out of it. Being the feature film that gave Wes Anderson and the Wilson brothers their name and made everyone realize who Wes was and what he's capable of is pretty cool, but it was still early stage Wes Anderson, and I wasn't too thrilled by it.

• Michael Falconi

★★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Falconi 26 Nov, 2015 1

I am constantly teetering on whether this is my favorite Anderson film. The cinematography doesn't quite have his trademark visual flourishes yet, but it's beautifully realized in its own right. Owen Wilson has never been better! In fact, the entire cast is so good here. This movie seems to constantly get that "first film from a developing filmmaker" thing. While the film certainly is that, it should not be shrugged off in its quality. For my money, Bottle Rocket competes right there along with any film Wes Anderson has ever directed. Okay, maybe not Fantastic Mr. Fox, but c'mon... give it a break.

• elias1026

★★★★ Watched by elias1026 22 Nov, 2015

"What are you putting that tape on your face for?"

• astrohkid

★★★★½ Watched by astrohkid 12 Nov, 2015

A very sad Own Wilson that reminds me way too much of myself spends a lot of this film walking around and it struck me really deeply and I'm not sure how to write about it.

This marks the second time where I've actually connected with a Wes Anderson character. That's not to say that I haven't connected to his films, I have, in many ways. But I usually only find emotional resonance in the *ideas* Anderson puts forward, the…

• Paul Reese

★★★★ Added by Paul Reese

Nothing to say about "Bottle Rocket" that Martin Scorsese didn’t sum up suitably when he claimed he felt the Wes Anderson comedy was one of the ten best films of the nineties (I'm not that smitten, but love it enough). Brothers Luke and Owen Wilson bring careful meditation to their own personal brotherhood by making their characters feel astutely phoned-in; giving the story a distinct flavor that only enhances director Anderson’s calculated direction. Even with his debut picture, Anderson had this stamp screaming from the every inch of the frame - and this one remains one of the best examples of his supreme auteurism.

• Sebastian

★★½ Watched by Sebastian 07 Nov, 2015

I'm really at loss of words when trying to describe why I like Wes Anderson films. Quirky characters, a very odd style of humour, great dialogues, a very peculiar look and camera work are a few key ingredients.

You can see early signs of a lot of these features in Bottle Rocket. In sum however, Bottle Rocket didn't impress me as much as his later films.

I couldn't really tell why. Some bits of the film seem a bit too…

• Harrison Mitchell

★★★★ Watched by Harrison Mitchell 06 Nov, 2015

Wes Anderson's directorial debut, and man, what a strong debut it is. Charming, quirky, funny, exciting; "Bottle Rocket" is Anderson trying to find his style, and it's entertaining to see him come into his form.

• swellzombie

★★★★★ Rewatched by swellzombie 06 Nov, 2015

One of my favorite movies. Always makes me feel good.

• Palmer Rubin

★★★ Watched by Palmer Rubin 16 Oct, 2015

Considering this was Wes Anderson's first film, it's expected that it would be far lower in quality than what he eventually made. And that's a damned good thing, because he's slowly grown into one hell of a filmmaker.

it's got the beginnings of his eventual style: the quirky characters, precise camera movements, the jump cuts, all of it. It's just starting. It's like watching a baby: sure it falls on its own face but then it gets back up again. That's what makes this special. I didn't really enjoy it, but I did get to see what a great filmmaker Anderson has become.

• b4hc

Watched by b4hc 01 Nov, 2015

watched thanks to max, how the fuck had i never seen this movie, it was okay. nice daytime with sean, brian, mary and max.

• Adryon Thomas

★★★½ Rewatched by Adryon Thomas 28 Oct, 2015

Bob: Wha - why is there tape on your nose?
    Dignan: Exactly!