• Johann Rucker

★★★★ Watched by Johann Rucker 26 Jan, 2015

Wes Anderson's least typical film. It retains a very a stripped-down version of his now trademark aesthetic, and takes place in the very real world. A lot of his films take place in his own universe, surreal and quirky to a fault, but I think that Bottle Rocket and The Darjeeling Limited are his most grounded features. Bottle Rocket was both a great introduction to him as a director, but it also contains career-best performances from both Wilson brothers. I love it. It's a great example of keeping it simple, but also retaining your sensibilities as an artist.

• Artorias

★★★½ Watched by Artorias 27 Jan, 2015 2

Bottle Rocket is one of the thousand independent crime comedies made in the 90's, except this one invests a lot more in the comedy part — a very peculiar comedy —, the characters are all losers but funny and heartwarming in their own way and, even thoug this is Wes Anderson's debut, a lot of his characteristic elements are present here such as a very quirky romance subplot, the soundtrack uses the same type of music as well as the overall style. It's not perfect at anything but the film is simple in its own way which makes it highly enjoyable.

• Daria Dykes

★★★½ Watched by Daria Dykes 26 Jan, 2015

I wasn't sure what to expect of this film, based on the recommendations that I've gotten for it over the years. Now that I've seen it, I can't believe I didn't know what to expect from Wes Anderson's first feature. It was this, of course. Looking back
    now, that seems so obvious. I feel I should have been able to predict everything about it.

It may not be The Royal Tenenbaums, but Bottle Rocket has the dry humor and bittersweet…

• Shachar Gannot

★★★ Watched by Shachar Gannot 23 Jan, 2015

When a Wes Anderson film doesn’t feel quite like a Wes Anderson film. Excluding the relationship between Inez and Anthony, I completely lost interest in Bottle Rocket. The usual quirkiness was missing and the characters were just not intriguing enough for me. I would use the fact that this was one of Anderson’s first films as an excuse, but two years after this movie, Anderson made Rushmore which was so incredibly great. But after watching this one, I’m not as…

• mikeyzjames

★★★½ Added by mikeyzjames

It's amazing how quickly Anderson's aesthetic formed after this film. I'm not sure you could really tell visually that this is one of his films, but in terms of tone and dialogue, it's all here. Two absolutely fantastic heist scenes.

• Marshal Childress

★★★½ Watched by Marshal Childress 21 Jan, 2015

I finally got around to watching Wes Anderson's Bottle Rocket.
    I call myself A huge Anderson fan and now after seeing this I can say that I have seen all of his films.
    This movie had a slight Anderson feel to it. not as heavy as the rest of his films have. great story though, great acting by the wilson brothers.
    WES ANDERSON>>>>>>>>

• help_im_a_bug

★★★ Watched by help_im_a_bug 21 Jan, 2015

sometimes i just really want to go to jail or go stay in a mental hospital for a while, too, dignan. i feel ya.

• Dominic Peters

★★★★ Watched by Dominic Peters 20 Jan, 2015

After viewing this I have seen all of Wes Anderson's movies. It was good, but I kinda wish I started with this, and worked my way forward, since he only gets better as the years go on. Nonetheless this is a great movie!

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

Quirky and funny with GREAT characters...

• the_narrator

★★★★ Watched by the_narrator 18 Jan, 2015

The only Wes Anderson film thus far (and likely ever to be made) without a hint of melancholy, mostly skirting by on good-naturedness and comedy, and thankfully it's really fucking funny.

If you look closely, with each carefully-placed insert shot, you can view the origin story of the Wes Anderson we know and the right people love in real time.

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★½ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 16 Jan, 2015

Easily the best work the Wilson brothers have ever done.

• Dreception

★★★ Watched by Dreception 16 Jan, 2015

I liked the characters in this movie. I liked things about all the characters, and they were pretty well written. The plot was entertaining enough throughout, but nothing special. Pretty consistently funny throughout, and it was pretty cool to see Wes Anderson honing his skill.