• Charles Palentine

★★★½ Watched by Charles Palentine 09 Apr, 2013

Years in the making, Bottle Rocket displays Wes Anderson learning his craft that he will soon master with his next feature. There are several shots and stylistic moments that now an audience can recognize as uniquely Anderson, but in 1996 those moments would have been much more difficult to identify. So of course it is a different viewing experience in 2013, and I can only hope I would have enjoyed it then as much as I do now.
    Both Luke…

• Daryl

★★★ Watched by Daryl 18 Oct, 2014

It's hard to describe this film without saying "it doesn't feel like a Wes Andrerson film".

• Burrito Science

★★ Rewatched by Burrito Science 17 Oct, 2014

I find Owen Wilsons character to be so irritating In this film. To date this is the only Wes Anderson film I don't like. I gave it to stars because I really enjoy the Luke Wilson romantic angle with Inez.. Those scenes are really sweet, I wish the rest of the film was as good

• Ned Gilmore

½ Watched by Ned Gilmore 15 Oct, 2014

I made it half way through and this is literally the most boring movie I have ever seen.

• Joe DiCanio

★★½ Watched by Joe DiCanio 29 Feb, 2012

Rating: C+

• Jeremy Doyle

★★★ Watched by Jeremy Doyle 30 Sep, 2014

At last, I have finally watched every film Wes Anderson has directed. His first outing has hints of his future visual style and charm. Took me a while to get into, but there was fun to be had.

• SLionsCricket

★★★½ Watched by SLionsCricket 21 Jul, 2014 34

A bit of a cult classic and a fairly decent introduction to one of today's most talented filmmakers, Bottle Rocket is an entertaining but ultimately forgettable and average crime comedy. Some of Anderson's directorial styles and flourishes are present in this film but Bottle Rocket can best be described as fun but amateurish. A much weaker script and one noted performances from the Wilson Brothers prevent the film from appealing to be a true 90s classic.

Watching Bottle Rocket is…

• Dominic Cobb

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dominic Cobb 19 Sep, 2014

Gathering tropes and similarities in Wes Anderson films for a tribute video. Anything that occurs in four Wes Anderson films or more qualifies.

Here are the ones that I found in this film:
    Binoculars, Climbing Up and Down Buildings, Elevator Scenes, Face Punch, Firing Guns Haphazardly, Hotels/Motels, Motorcycles, Smoking, The Wilsons (as actors)

• RyanGoodwin

★★★★ Added by RyanGoodwin

This is my favorite Wes Anderson, granted I've only seen Moonrise, Rushmore, Fantasic Mr Fox, and The Grand Budapest (the latter which I don't like much of at all the others I all love). This movie is too funky and too crazy not to like though, Owen and Luke Wilson play some iconic characters here. Very good storytelling displayed, the script is very smart and doesnt baby us with exposition dumps. They come naturally through a series of events, as…

• VeganBen

★★★ Watched by VeganBen 06 Sep, 2014

This, Wes Anderson's first movie might not have the wall-to-wall visual style of his later work, but there are most definitely flashes of it - the jump suits, the nose bands, smoking and swimming pools. What is present, are the themes that he keeps coming back to - complicated family situations, education and school, upper-middle-class out-of-placeness - are all there in spades.
    It's kinda weird coming back to Bottle Rocket. It's a Wes Anderson movie that is not hiding behind the veneer of a perfectly constructed artifice.
    I'm not sure if that's a necessarily good thing. I like his artificiality.

• Lukas

★★★★ Watched by Lukas 06 Sep, 2014

Could almost be a 4.5 tbh.

Review

• Martin Kørra

★★★★ Watched by Martin Kørra 27 Aug, 2014

Has the cutest romance of probably any Wes Anderson film.