• Dominic Cobb

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dominic Cobb 19 Sep, 2014

Gathering tropes and similarities in Wes Anderson films for a tribute video. Anything that occurs in four Wes Anderson films or more qualifies.

Here are the ones that I found in this film:
    Binoculars, Climbing Up and Down Buildings, Elevator Scenes, Face Punch, Firing Guns Haphazardly, Hotels/Motels, Motorcycles, Smoking, The Wilsons (as actors)

• RyanGoodwin

★★★★ Added by RyanGoodwin

This is my favorite Wes Anderson, granted I've only seen Moonrise, Rushmore, Fantasic Mr Fox, and The Grand Budapest (the latter which I don't like much of at all the others I all love). This movie is too funky and too crazy not to like though, Owen and Luke Wilson play some iconic characters here. Very good storytelling displayed, the script is very smart and doesnt baby us with exposition dumps. They come naturally through a series of events, as…

• VeganBen

★★★ Watched by VeganBen 06 Sep, 2014

This, Wes Anderson's first movie might not have the wall-to-wall visual style of his later work, but there are most definitely flashes of it - the jump suits, the nose bands, smoking and swimming pools. What is present, are the themes that he keeps coming back to - complicated family situations, education and school, upper-middle-class out-of-placeness - are all there in spades.
    It's kinda weird coming back to Bottle Rocket. It's a Wes Anderson movie that is not hiding behind the veneer of a perfectly constructed artifice.
    I'm not sure if that's a necessarily good thing. I like his artificiality.

• Lukas

★★★★ Watched by Lukas 06 Sep, 2014

Could almost be a 4.5 tbh.

Review

• Martin Kørra

★★★★ Watched by Martin Kørra 27 Aug, 2014

Has the cutest romance of probably any Wes Anderson film.

• Joshua Correll

★★★½ Rewatched by Joshua Correll 22 Aug, 2014

It all starts for Wes Anderson here. An impressive first feature that displays many of the traits that will come to define him in his future films. Both Luke and Owen Wilson show off there fine acting skills (a big step up for both of them from the short film version they created two years earlier) and for my money, the love story between Anthony and Inez is still the best that Anderson has made to date. I'm looking forward to re-watching the rest of Anderson's filmography between now and Halloween when I throw a themed party.

• Sam Williams

★★★½ Rewatched by Sam Williams 24 Aug, 2014

Doesn't really feel much like a Wes Anderson film as much as it feels like a typical 90's indie movie. The leaps from Bottle Rocket to Rushmore and Rushmore to The Royal Tenenbaums are pretty huge. Gets an extra half star because Dignan is one of my favorite Owen Wilson characters.

• Jude Seymour

★★ Rewatched by Jude Seymour 14 May, 2002

Part of the 24 Hour Movie Marathon

11:37am: Bottle Rocket fires up. The kiddies said they liked Lady from Shanghai. A couple moments I felt myself drifting; I probably should not lie down for future reference.Bought myself a caffeinated soda to help reenergize things. I think the food during Carlito’s Way will make things better too.

12:36pm: Almost an hour through Bottle Rocket now, and I dunno, I just don’t like this film like I like Rushmore or Tennenbaums. I…

• Jude Seymour

★★ Watched by Jude Seymour 16 Dec, 2001

I checked out "Bottle Rocket", and despite being the first film from "Rushmore" director Wes Anderson, it wasn't very fascinating.

I'm sure with subsequent watches the usual Anderson humor will start gnawing away at my sensibilities, allowing me to laugh at the most subtle points (much like in "Rushmore"), But for the most part I found the characters too eccentric, and their stories not nearly interesting enough to hold attention.

• moviereviewninj

★★★★½ Watched by moviereviewninj 16 Aug, 2014

A great debut by Wes Anderson that is funny and heartfelt.

• jroberts548

★★★½ Watched by jroberts548 10 Aug, 2014

I enjoyed this movie. It's not really representative of Anderson's style. He's not as confident and distinct a filmmaker as he is later. Owen and Luke Wilson's acting is great though, and is probably the best thing about about the movie.

• Steven Cohen

★★★½ Watched by Steven Cohen 04 Aug, 2014

Pretty rough, but still quite good for a first time feature. Some of Anderson's style elements are already present, but Bottle Rocket is distinct in its differences from the rest of the director's oeuvre. It is very loosely composed, aside from the heist scene in the final act, which is nice to see from such a regimented guy. Wouldn't mind seeing Anderson take a step back from his artificial style again in the future, while still using the tricks and tips he's picked up in the last 18 years.