• Bronsonwelles

★★★★ Rewatched by Bronsonwelles 04 Jan, 2016

A good movie, quite messy under the aspect of continuity, from Sir. Douglas Trumbull who made a better goal if we consider "Silent Running" as one of his works. Walken has his own mask, often perfect, with a "foot inside the '80s", like knowing to be a part of the VHS storm of semi-good movies coming inside our homes like a gift from SantaClauzy. Then, if you need just to try and keep pressed PLAY till the end, this movie…

• Janne

★★★ Watched by Janne 29 Nov, 2015

A decent science fiction that underutilizes its potential by concentrating too much on special effects.

• Ash Boomstick

★★★ Watched by Ash Boomstick 20 Nov, 2015

Christopher Walken is a positive.....yes? The plot is very confusing and you tend to fill in the blanks. It is very stupid in places and verges on the same level as the 'Benny Hill' show.

It is a landmark in science film history but manages to become quite boring, which is an achievement considering the topic. There is this then we had 'lawnmower Man' and now we have Avatar.

Christopher and his hair? How can one man fit so many amusing hairstyles into one film?

• Sarah Lloyd

★★★ Watched by Sarah Lloyd 19 Oct, 2015

I would have liked it more if the tape he made for his wife celebrated her achievements instead of just being a few snogs

• Chris Vallée

★★ Watched by Chris Vallée 21 Sep, 2015

Conceptually solid, and offers some great ideas that unfortunately were left unexplored. Too much focus on the government angle and not enough time spent dealing with the mechanics and repercussions of creating and using such an invention.

• Steve G

★★ Watched by Steve G 02 Sep, 2015 5

Got to admit, guys, that I'm really tired right now and I watched this two nights ago so this isn't going to make much sense and I'm sure as hell not reading this crap back through.

Brainstorm is one of those dream / memories / experiences sci-fi films where some scientist finds a way of fiddling about with them. I quite like these kinds of things normally, as long as they aren't really boring. Unfortunately, Brainstorm is really boring, but…

• FilmApe

★★★★ Rewatched by FilmApe 29 Aug, 2015

This is one flick that I think would be a completely different experience on the big screen. The changing aspect ratios work well enough on a home viewing, but I bet that this being properly projected would be a next level theatre experience. It is also interesting to note that Trumbull wanted this to be the debut of his Showscan 60fps 70mm process, which had it actually happened in 1983, probably would have completely changed the look of films today. Trumbull was decades ahead of his time.

• Christian Dzubiel

★★★ Watched by Christian Dzubiel 13 Aug, 2015

Ideen und Gedanken sind faszinierend. Die Ausstattung ist in den Details beeindruckend (die sich weiterentwickelnde Datenbrille ist visionär). Restlos alle Showscan-Sequenzen berauschen die Augen. Bei der Schauspielführung versagt die Regie jedoch auf der ganzen Länge. Außerordentliche Schauspieler wie Walken und Fletcher wirken unfreiwillig komisch. Dieser Stoff in den Händen eines Spielberg oder Kubrick...

• Phil Rippke

★★★ Added by Phil Rippke

Douglas Trumbull did the VFX for 2001 and he directed this film about some inventors who come up with a helmet that records the wearer’s sensations. The images from inside the helmet are shot in 70mm widescreen and look cool. There are also some well-composed shots that make the researchers appear to be swallowed up by their creations. Natalie Wood and Christopher Walken are great as lovers and coworkers.

• Simon Abrams

★★★★ Watched by Simon Abrams 09 Aug, 2015

Movies are so good these days.

• Phil Rippke

★★★ Added by Phil Rippke

One great thing about this film is that it is a science fiction film that deals (somewhat) rationally with technology. In this case, the invention is a helmet that records everything the wearer senses. Christopher Walken, one of the key inventors, is interested in the commercial aspects, but the military (which financed it) has other ideas.

Douglas Trumbull (who did some of the special effects for 2001) directed this one. It looks great - there are some great wide shots…

• Gibnerd

★½ Watched by Gibnerd 29 Jun, 2015

lots of interesting ideas in here like recording someone's mind as they die but this film goes absolutely nowhere with it. there's some good sequences but it feels like its constantly on the verge of getting to a place it never gets to.