• thelanj

★★ Watched by thelanj 31 Mar, 2015

Concept fairly ahead of it's time in terms of mediated experiences and shared memories, but didn't really go anywhere.

• Alan H

★★★★ Watched by Alan H 24 Mar, 2015

Ay, was not expecting that. This is proper clunky, dated, old school sci-fi and it rules. Not only is it filled with gnarly technology and unbridled Walken, it's also got a HEART and a SOUL, godammit.

It blows that Douglas Trumbull was never allowed to make another movie after the production hell that was this flick, because between this and Silent Running it's pretty obvious that he could have turned out some seriously amazing stuff. *shakes fist at the suits*

• Curtis

★★★★ Watched by Curtis 20 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I remember hearing more about the events surrounding this movie than the movie itself, so I wasn't sure what to expect going in. It's an odd thing, very watchable, but starts splintering about midway through.

I really like the look of this movie. It feels like what 1983 imagined 1988 might look like. A little more advanced, yet firmly rooted in existing 80's tech. Media's still tape, but it's shimmering optical tape read by lasers. The movie moves briskly and…

• sschuster

★★½ Watched by sschuster 16 Mar, 2015

35mm print. A cool concept that, often times, feels poorly executed. The plot doesn't always feel fully developed, there are some bad casting decisions, and Walken sometimes feels like he's doing a Saturday Night Live impersonation of himself. The premise is interesting, though, and I'm sure the effects were amazing for the time.

• Cogerson

★★★ Rewatched by Cogerson 05 Feb, 2015

I saw Brainstorm many many times when I was kid. This was a very popular movie on HBO. Well after many years I decided to revisit this one. Christopher Walken (in the lead role), Louise Fletcher and Natalie Wood develope a system of recording and playing back actual experiences of people. This one has not aged well at all. The finale requires Walken to use a pay phone. You remember pay phones don't you? Walken did not get a chance…

• emilio

★★★ Watched by emilio 28 Dec, 2014

BRAINSTORM could have been great if it explored the limits of conscious experience for more than a few minutes, though we're still left with a good movie with immaculate effects by visionary director Douglas Trumbull.

Christopher Walken and Louise Fletcher play two scientists who have developed a device that allows the recording and transmission of memories from one individual to another. The fairly mundane applications eventually give way to more hedonistic ones. Someone records a sexual experience and the playback…

• IIHOKII

★★★★ Watched by IIHOKII 26 Dec, 2014

I really hope the elements our bodies are made of go into some sort of wonderful state of ecstasy when we die. It's more than likely not going to be anything this film speculates. But if it's anything other than nothingness, then the end of life won't be such a depressing event to look forward to.

• Evan_D

★★★½ Watched by Evan_D 09 Dec, 2014

could've done without the weird slapstick bits

• Mark Boszko

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark Boszko

I don't remember seeing this before, but it must have caught me on a bad day, because my rating just jumped from two stars to four.

Fascinating study of the fictional technology, and seemingly more evidence that Douglas Trumbull is obsessed with you-are-there first-person visuals.

• gullyer

★★★½ Watched by gullyer 09 May, 2014

The POV shots in 70mm are spectacular!

• Colin Rudge

★★★★½ Rewatched by Colin Rudge 18 Sep, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A fantastic sci-fi film about a scientific team working on an experience recording device and the implications from making such a breakthrough. This must have had some influence on the similar device in Kathryn Bigelow's Strange Days.

This film covers a great number of fascinating areas from research and scientific curiosity set against the need to exploit it commercially, or ensure that it is being done for an exploitable purpose. We also get a nice portrait of a crumbling marriage,…

• Liam Hathaway

★★★½ Added by Liam Hathaway

This second and final film directed by special FX master Douglas Trumbull is something of a pioneering exploration of virtual reality. Though it may be overshadowed by the untimely and mysterious death of Natalie Wood during production, this is one of the most dazzling science-fiction films of the 1980s and features a terrific lead performance from Christopher Walken and an even better one from Louise Fletcher. It may appear a little dull at times but Brainstorm presents us with some truly thought-provoking ideas.