• Cogerson

★★★ Rewatched by Cogerson 05 Feb, 2015

I saw Brainstorm many many times when I was kid. This was a very popular movie on HBO. Well after many years I decided to revisit this one. Christopher Walken (in the lead role), Louise Fletcher and Natalie Wood develope a system of recording and playing back actual experiences of people. This one has not aged well at all. The finale requires Walken to use a pay phone. You remember pay phones don't you? Walken did not get a chance…

• emilio

★★★ Watched by emilio 28 Dec, 2014

BRAINSTORM could have been great if it explored the limits of conscious experience for more than a few minutes, though we're still left with a good movie with immaculate effects by visionary director Douglas Trumbull.

Christopher Walken and Louise Fletcher play two scientists who have developed a device that allows the recording and transmission of memories from one individual to another. The fairly mundane applications eventually give way to more hedonistic ones. Someone records a sexual experience and the playback…

• IIHOKII

★★★★ Watched by IIHOKII 26 Dec, 2014

I really hope the elements our bodies are made of go into some sort of wonderful state of ecstasy when we die. It's more than likely not going to be anything this film speculates. But if it's anything other than nothingness, then the end of life won't be such a depressing event to look forward to.

• Evan_D

★★★½ Watched by Evan_D 09 Dec, 2014

could've done without the weird slapstick bits

• Mark Boszko

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark Boszko

I don't remember seeing this before, but it must have caught me on a bad day, because my rating just jumped from two stars to four.

Fascinating study of the fictional technology, and seemingly more evidence that Douglas Trumbull is obsessed with you-are-there first-person visuals.

• gullyer

★★★½ Watched by gullyer 09 May, 2014

The POV shots in 70mm are spectacular!

• Colin Rudge

★★★★½ Rewatched by Colin Rudge 18 Sep, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A fantastic sci-fi film about a scientific team working on an experience recording device and the implications from making such a breakthrough. This must have had some influence on the similar device in Kathryn Bigelow's Strange Days.

This film covers a great number of fascinating areas from research and scientific curiosity set against the need to exploit it commercially, or ensure that it is being done for an exploitable purpose. We also get a nice portrait of a crumbling marriage,…

• Liam Hathaway

★★★½ Added by Liam Hathaway

This second and final film directed by special FX master Douglas Trumbull is something of a pioneering exploration of virtual reality. Though it may be overshadowed by the untimely and mysterious death of Natalie Wood during production, this is one of the most dazzling science-fiction films of the 1980s and features a terrific lead performance from Christopher Walken and an even better one from Louise Fletcher. It may appear a little dull at times but Brainstorm presents us with some truly thought-provoking ideas.

• COBRARocky

★★★½ Added by COBRARocky

Special-effects master Douglas Trumbull, the fellow behind 2001, Close Encounters and Blade Runner cranked this one out, and its not half bad. Its certainly pretty as all hell.

Christopher Walken rides his bike and discusses conspiracies while eating chips, he also goes on cool looking rides through virtual reality looking at the camera dopily.

If you can suspend your disbelief that regarding the idea that they can do a full virtual-reality experience, video, sound, touch, smell, taste and even sex,…

• Vincent Mollica

★★★½ Watched by Vincent Mollica 23 Jul, 2014

On any other format than the 70mm I saw this in, it would be almost totally forgettable. Alejandro Jodorowsky's assessment that Doug Turnbull more or less doesn't have a soul (everyoneseeJodorowsky'sDune) seems to be on display here. Almost every relationship is poorly defined, and no one seems to wake up for long enough to really perform (even many of the big emotional moments seem to come through a stupor).

However, when Turnbull goes for the jugular, it's impossible not to…

• Arthur Bollis

★★½ Watched by Arthur Bollis 23 Jul, 2014 2

Strange/cool movie. Had a lot of really bad lines everyone at the theater laughed at and the story is really flat but seeing this thing with a group of people projected in 70mm was as fulfilling an experience as any 5 star movie.

• Tyler McGaughey