• spencerhawken

★★★★ Rewatched by spencerhawken 20 Mar, 2016

Brainstorm is in incredibly perceptive piece of film making, marred by the death and scandal of its leading lady Natalie Wood during the making of the movie.
    Shot in 1983, brainstorm is set in the world of virtual reality headsets, something we are only truly starting to see now in 2016!
    The movie traverses sci-fi, drama and horror all at the same time, and features some highly memorable scenes. Louise Fletchers final scene in the movie is like a piece of artwork.   While Walken and Wood play at your heartstrings!

• Wes Ball

★★ Watched by Wes Ball 20 Mar, 2016 4

Brainstorm would have been so much better if I would have been able to tell that Christopher Walken was half as interested in the film as I was to begin with. His performance just feels painfully forced, each line squeezed out of him like his life depended on it. It really made me sad that such a talented actor put such a role to waste. If I'm being honest, I really thought Walken was a strange choice to play this…

• Luis Cardel

★★★★★ Watched by Luis Cardel 10 Mar, 2016

A total surprise! Good good good. Sci-fi with respect.

• Nuno Costa

★★★ Watched by Nuno Costa 10 Mar, 2016 1

Viewed on TCM

Even though I didn't love Brainstorm, there is still a lot to like about it.
    Its potential and its influence on future filmmakers is indubitable.
    Christopher Walken, Natalie Wood, Louise Fletcher and Cliff Robertson are fine enough but the story doesn't dive as far into the science of recording peoples experiences and being able to have others experience them as well, as it should.

Unfortunately, Brainstorm is known more for being Natalie Wood's last film. According to…

• odduck

★★★½ Watched by odduck 03 Mar, 2016

I really liked this film, despite it feeling kind of uneven. It brings up some interesting questions about virtual reality, death and the afterlife, existentialism, the military industrial complex, etc. It was interesting watching this seeing how some of these questions were being explored at the time, and comparing it with now.

The special effects were really neat, though some of the computer generated stuff obviously is a bit dated. There was some absurd dialogue, but I wouldn't call it a "goofy" film.

Recommended if you're looking for some 80's sci-fi that will make you think.

• PatrickRipoll

★★½ Added by PatrickRipoll

In 70mm

Offers up a hundred delicious potential flavors of sci-fi it could become, but ends up as steak covered in fudge, walnuts, & marshmellow sauce with an "angels are real!" cherry on top.

It's a testament to the integrity of Trumbull's world-building that it works at all. C+

• Marty McKee

★★½ Rewatched by Marty McKee 03 Mar, 2016 1

Mainly remembered as the film Natalie Wood was shooting when she drowned, BRAINSTORM was the second (after SILENT RUNNING) and last film directed by Douglas Trumbull, an acclaimed visual effects supervisor whose standout credits include 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, and STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. Though most of Wood’s scenes were already in the can at the time of her death, the tragedy shook up the production with MGM threatening to cancel the picture…

• marshlandz

★★ Watched by marshlandz 26 Feb, 2016

70mm.

• TheSaintOfTous

★★★½ Watched by TheSaintOfTous 27 Feb, 2016

The dialogue is deliciously hammy, the costumes are garrish, And the set designs and locations are beautifully modernistic. The cinematography is, to put it lightly, phenomenal. Bear in mind, this is a fresh impression right after my first viewing of this film on a 70mm projector.

This was one of the most profoundly prophetic and disturbing films I've seen in a long while. Watching this film for the first time, I can see the implementation of special effect techniques and…

• Austin Lugar

★★ Watched by Austin Lugar 27 Feb, 2016

Well. Not every 70mm movie is good.

• Fritz

★½ Watched by Fritz 18 Feb, 2016

Two words: Dull & Slow.

• Bronsonwelles

★★★★ Rewatched by Bronsonwelles 04 Jan, 2016

A good movie, quite messy under the aspect of continuity, from Sir. Douglas Trumbull who made a better goal if we consider "Silent Running" as one of his works. Walken has his own mask, often perfect, with a "foot inside the '80s", like knowing to be a part of the VHS storm of semi-good movies coming inside our homes like a gift from SantaClauzy. Then, if you need just to try and keep pressed PLAY till the end, this movie…