• Harrison Miller

★★★★½ Rewatched by Harrison Miller 29 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Ali Moneib

★★★½ Watched by Ali Moneib 10 Dec, 2014

Writer and director Rian Johnson's first feature length film was released in 2005, under the nonspecific name of Brick. Embracing a talented cast, as well as the promises of a fresh take on the neo-noir genre, Brick may have the right ideas, but the flat execution means that, while it's decent, it isn't great.

When Brendan, a smart and cynical high school recluse, gets a frightening phone call from his ex-girlfriend, Emily, asking for his help, Brendan takes it upon…

• joanne myers

Added by joanne myers

I don't get this film. I understand it was insanely popular with a number of people, but just couldn't bring myself to see it. I wasn't interested in the story or the characters.
    The only thing that gave this movie a 1 star rating was the performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

• Rick Bman

Watched by Rick Bman 24 Jan, 2009

*NOTE: This review originally posted on my old blog on Jan. 24, 2009

I went into Brick really, really wanting to like it. I had heard such good things about it and the trailer made it look pretty cool. I ended up having to do something that I very rarely do with a film though. I turned it off before it got to the end. I really hate saying that I did that but after watching over an hour I…

• Mark Avery

★★★½ Rewatched by Mark Avery 10 Dec, 2014

'Brick' is without doubt a marmite movie, you'll either love it or hate it. I personally see it as a very brave and risky debut, which on the surface can appear overly stylised, pretentious and misguided yet dig a little deeper and only then will its smarts be truly revealed.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Brendan Frye, a loner who sets about unearthing the truth behind the murder of an ex girlfriend, and in doing so takes us on a bumpy guided…

• JoseIgnacioWert

★★★ Watched by JoseIgnacioWert 10 Oct, 2014

Un “noir” al más puro estilo clásico ambientado en un instituto de nuestros días. Suena atractivo, pero uno tiende sin remedio a imaginar semejante planteamiento con un cierto tono de parodia. Y no. Resulta que la cosa va totalmente en serio. Por eso es fácil admirar la atmósfera de Brick, pero muy difícil traspasar la barrera y entrar en ella.

Una curiosidad en absoluto mal resuelta, desde luego. De ahí a hablar de gran cine, ojo, hay un trecho.

• TenshiMVP

★★★★ Watched by TenshiMVP 05 Dec, 2014

I don't have much exposure to the Noir genre, really the only thing that I have read or seen that is close to this genre is the comic 100 Bullets but I know all the tropes of Noir. Re-watching this movie with a more critical eye I saw things that I have never noticed before and it really made me appreciate the movie a lot more. It's simply genius how Rian Johnson was able to so easily make a Noir…

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★★ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 12 Dec, 2006

BRICK is a detective movie set at a high school. You might have heard of it, but it didn't get a very wide release. I ignored it at the movies - the trailer didn't grab me. It looked like a really pretentious film. Renting it out, I enjoyed it. It takes the dialogue, plotting and action of a regular Bogart-era black and white detective movie, but sets it in an American suburb with middle class high school students comprising the…

• ChasingTheDawn

★★★★ Added by ChasingTheDawn

Really stylish and classy film. Hits home with the dialogue flawlessly written. Really interesting plot. A modern day noire set in a high school so it's kinda unique in that. Acting is great. Bit slow at parts but worth watching.

• Cory Mailyard

★★★★ Rewatched by Cory Mailyard 27 Nov, 2014

First rewatch in six years or seven years. The dialogue can get a bit clunky at times but the concept is such a high-wire act it's probably a miracle it works at all. Anyway, the writing gets so much attention, it's easy to forget that Johnson is a virtuosic director right out of the gate. I relish the way he takes his time with scenes, building with quick cuts to small details--nothing gets by Brandon, not even the logo on…

• Jonathas Fernandes

★★★½ Watched by Jonathas Fernandes 22 Nov, 2014

O filme todo é composto por uma sátira dos clássicos filmes noir, mas não achei tão inovador quanto falam... Drama, mas na minha opinião razo demais.

• Naughty

★★★ Watched by Naughty 22 Nov, 2014 4

Noir- November Challenge! Movie #44

I have to compliment the director for his mad skills created a dark violent world within the realm of high school! No this isn't your mothers high school, hell its not even mine!

I never would have believed a neo noir involving high school kids could work! But this film proved me wrong! Joseph Gordon-Levitt was absolutely incredible in this and I truly believe the film never could have pulled it off without his gripping performance and high believability factor!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Recommended by Brendan via my list "Movie Request Hotline"
    Thanks for recommending this film! I adore Joseph Gordon-Levitt!