• vitorbraz10

½ Watched by vitorbraz10 31 Jul, 2015

Péssimo.

• anne_f_

★★½ Rewatched by anne_f_ 30 Jul, 2015

I knew that Brick is highly thought of, but I really struggled with it. When I got to the end I went to tick it off on icheckmovies and discovered that I had already watched it in February 2012, but have absolutely no memory of having done so. I didn't rate or review it back then (which is why I ended up rewatching it) so have no idea what I thought of it but guess I wasn't any more fond of it than I am now.

• Caio Berns Pereira

★★★★ Watched by Caio Berns Pereira 15 Jun, 2015

Taí um filme que se saísse de outras mãos poderia ter dado muito errado. Amo quando os dois personagens tão na praia e um pergunta despretensiosamente pro outro se ele gosta de Tolkien.

• Johann Rucker

★★★★ Watched by Johann Rucker 27 Jul, 2015

"What'd she whisper to you?

"She called me a dirty word."

"Alright, you don't have to tell me."

Fucking killer movie. It looks really shitty, considering it was filmed for nothing on 35 mm film stock, but it actually works towards the film's benefit. Some of the camerawork is jarring and amateurish, but Johnson knows what he's doing and that confidence is palpable. A neo-noir set in a modern high school setting shouldn't really work, but Brick does. The plot is solid, JGL is great, and it all just feels really special.

• Andrew Willis

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Willis 24 Jul, 2015

Listen to ScreeningNotes and I discuss this film and much more on our podcast,Movies Now and Then.
    I remember watching Brick when it first came out on DVD. I had heard several people talk about how great it was, but none of the theaters around me were playing it. I watched it, and I remember really liking it. I remember thinking that the language was difficult to understand, and it made it difficult for me to understand what was happening…

• mfulton

★★★ Added by mfulton

B-

• Dustpan

★★½ Watched by Dustpan 24 Jul, 2015

It's like watching a live-action detective themed episode of Rugrats.

• Charlie

★★★½ Watched by Charlie 24 Jul, 2015

As a neo-noir in a modern day high school setting, this really shouldn't work but it mostly does.

Plot summary: Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets punched in the face a lot.

• Elise van Dam

★★★½ Watched by Elise van Dam 21 Jul, 2015

God, I miss payphones.

• Alex Lovendahl

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 19 Jul, 2015

A total achievement. Brick is twisty, engaging stuff, with the right performances coaxed out of a knowing director and framing that simultaneously goes unnoticeable and looks better than a lot of independent cinema. Like most of the best crime stories, it asks us to engage with what systems and scenarios create the problems we're watching, what our feelings are on morality and justice, and whether or not we ought to trust anyone who decides to be an arbiter.

• Joe Bloggs

Watched by Joe Bloggs 30 Jan, 2005

A Delicious Goody Bag of Mixed Genres

• Piers Dennis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Piers Dennis 15 Jul, 2015

For all the noirs and high school movies in the world, Brick is their marriage made in heaven.

The film has the intimacy of an indie gem, as well as the polished look of a filmmaker who is both experienced and confident in his style.
    And man is there style; the creative transitions, moody score, immersive sound editing, and beautiful symmetry of shots makes it a unique and engaging trip.

Aside from its abundance of style, Brick offers viewers a…