• Blots

★★★½ Rewatched by Blots 24 Oct, 2014

This is the ‘first feature’ textbook, at least when it comes to production design. Rian Johnson’s low-budget alternate world built over corners of Southern California mirrors what high school students do in real life; they transform and elevate banal spaces like parking lots and shopping malls by projecting and living out their dramas because they have no other choice. Like Johnson, they're limited by circumstance, at least until they finish school.

Johnson’s camera is nimble but deeply neurotic, which makes…

• Alex Watson

★★★★★ Added by Alex Watson

This movie was so damn amazing. It was so well put together too, especially considering the budget.

• Jacob Gehman

★★★★½ Added by Jacob Gehman

Flawed, yet still stunning, Brick feels like Encyclopedia Brown meets Traffic. Except the characters are high school kids playing grown-up, which lends an additional uncomfortable layer to all the talk of heroin and violence. Maybe it's a testament to my own flaws, but these are characters that, even with the highly stylized filter, I connect with. Especially loner-slash-lover-slash-detective Brendan. I maaaay have added an extra half-star for the frequent screen time given to the gorgeous Nora Zehetner.

• Nathan Smith

Watched by Nathan Smith 16 Oct, 2014

It's Film Noir, Charlie Brown!

• Harrison Miller

★★★★½ Rewatched by Harrison Miller 15 Oct, 2014

Writing a paper on this film for my cinema studies class, so I'll post that when I finish it. But damn, this film gets better with repeated viewings. I'm going to watch it a couple more times, so we will see what juicy details I can scrounge up.

• gageaz

★★★★ Watched by gageaz 11 Oct, 2014

part of Alphabet Challenge, Round 1

the movie: young joseph gordon-levitt finds his ex-girlfriend dead in a storm drain and dives head-first into his high school's crime ring to figure out who killed her.

it's a hardboiled detective film noir about a group of high schoolers directed by rian johnson (from whom i've already seen Looper and some damn good episodes of Breaking Bad).

my idea going in was "what's not to love?" and while the film isn't perfect, there…

• ignatiuschen

★★★★★ Added by ignatiuschen

Great Neo-Noir Film

• Tha_Profesional

★★★★ Watched by Tha_Profesional 24 Sep, 2014

Initially, the mix of film noir and high school movie seemed strange, but I think this film definitely pulled it off. The movie fit both genres extremely well - providing a believable high school atmosphere, full of cliques and devoid of adults, while at the same time presenting a gritty world full of hard characters and mysterious intentions.

While Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a definite stand out as the films protagonist, the whole cast do a solid job. It seemed like…

• Timmy Semenza

★★★★½ Rewatched by Timmy Semenza 13 Aug, 2013

Rian Johnson is such a boss. I'm incredibly curious about what he will do with "Star Wars."

This was the first film I watched after moving to my new apartment.

• Ethan Copeland

★★★★ Rewatched by Ethan Copeland 27 Sep, 2014

I actually liked this better the second time. I guess I just picked up on more things.

• Chris Campbell

★★★★★ Watched by Chris Campbell 30 Apr, 2006

A common problem with many updated films noir is that they mistake the look and dialogue as the most important elements. While noir is about crime, it’s a genre that was formed out of the angst and uncertainty of post World War II America. Unlike other genres, the classic film noir was made as a crime thriller with largely european directors working in a visually stylized way within financial constraints. Updated film noir often substitutes surface for substance. But in…

• Arain

★★★★ Watched by Arain 19 Sep, 2014

A teenage loner pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.

It is a very unique film, such a refreshing one for people who have seen it all.

Mainly, it's a clever gimmick, cleverly wrought, offering further evidence that you can dress up the student body in all manner of garb for all types of genres