• Timothy Semenza

★★★★½ Rewatched by Timothy Semenza 13 Aug, 2013

Rian Johnson is such a boss. I'm incredibly curious about what he will do with "Star Wars."

This was the first film I watched after moving to my new apartment.

• Ethan Copeland

★★★★ Rewatched by Ethan Copeland 27 Sep, 2014

I actually liked this better the second time. I guess I just picked up on more things.

• Chris Campbell

★★★★★ Watched by Chris Campbell 30 Apr, 2006

A common problem with many updated films noir is that they mistake the look and dialogue as the most important elements. While noir is about crime, it’s a genre that was formed out of the angst and uncertainty of post World War II America. Unlike other genres, the classic film noir was made as a crime thriller with largely european directors working in a visually stylized way within financial constraints. Updated film noir often substitutes surface for substance. But in…

• Arain

★★★★ Watched by Arain 19 Sep, 2014

A teenage loner pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.

It is a very unique film, such a refreshing one for people who have seen it all.

Mainly, it's a clever gimmick, cleverly wrought, offering further evidence that you can dress up the student body in all manner of garb for all types of genres

• Johnny Pickbourne

★★★★ Rewatched by Johnny Pickbourne 03 Sep, 2014

Very nice twist on the noir genre, with a clever plot.

Thought 'The Pin's' character was hilarious but didn't think that JGL suited the lead character. His melancholy demeanour was depressing in my opinion and lacked the coolness of the typical noir based lead character.

• AvenueDave

★★★½ Watched by AvenueDave 09 Sep, 2014

Movie #123

My 2 Cents: Interesting story that differentiates itself from others by using a 1940s feel because of the language used. Different and good. 3.5/5.

(3.5/5) - Good story, fine acting provides decent entertainment return on investment. Would recommend to family members, even distant cousins.

IMDB: 7.5/10
    Rotten Tomatoes: 80% (Critics)
    Rotten Tomatoes: 86% (Audience)

• waynewebb

★★★★ Watched by waynewebb 09 Sep, 2014

Another technically brilliant but not quite satisfying film. The merging of the Big Sleep, Bogart, Film Noir and High School movie obsessions with thinking the world at that age is adult, works incredibly well. the language though irritates, feels Shakespearean by way of A Clockwork Orange and maybe some Whedon and still manages to annoy.

The Noir denouement and the hard done protagonist show JG Levitt to be a talent beyond the recognition he gets and I can forgive him the Dark Knight Rises if he makes films like this and Looper with Rian Johnson.

• Chrisowski

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chrisowski 08 Sep, 2014 2

They don't get much better then this, original and stylish. Like slowly smoking a cigarette, draw by draw it hooks you.

This is a modern take on a Hard-Boiled Noir set in, and around a California high school and it's students, who possess all the character troupes from a Dashiell Hammett novel.

The films starts off by introducing us to the character played by Gordon-Levitt, Brendan, who receives a note in his locker containing a location and time. Turns out…

• Philip

★★★★ Watched by Philip 31 Aug, 2014

A near classic exercise in style over substance that almost transcends the genre. One thing that's really impressive about Johnson's work is even if a scene doesn't work emotionally or narratively, it always works technically. His masterpiece is right around the corner.

• Barbara Henry

★★★★★ Added by Barbara Henry

I just saw MALTESE FALCON for the umpteenth time yesterday, one day before I watched BRICK. So the references to Bogie's film jumped out at me -- like the "long-short, long-short" signal, and calling the treacherous female partner "angel" while explaining how he set her up for justice. But rather than distracting from the complex story, these shout-outs added greatly to the mood of nouveau noir, as well as to the over-the-top goofiness of a high-drama 1940s-style story placed on…

• Nathan Rabin

★★★★ Rewatched by Nathan Rabin 28 Aug, 2014

A thickily wicket, this un finsta be.

• Goodwin

★★½ Watched by Goodwin 21 Aug, 2014

Promising debut (fulfilled with "Looper") has some nice things in it, but the misguided attempt to bring noir to high school ultimately feels rather pointless. There is little real wit in the film and the numerous film quotations are so heavy-handed and the genre's conventions followed so slavishly that there are no surprises either. Might have been better served to have gone full "Bugsy Malone" as a satire, or an adult drama, either period a la "Miller's Crossing", or contemporary like "Red Rock West". Existing treatment, neither fish nor fowl, is unsatisfying on any level.