• Naughty

★★★ Watched by Naughty 22 Nov, 2014 2

Noir- November Challenge! Movie #44

I have to compliment the director for his mad skills created a dark violent world within the realm of high school! No this isn't your mothers high school, hell its not even mine!

I never would have believed a neo noir involving high school kids could work! But this film proved me wrong! Joseph Gordon-Levitt was absolutely incredible in this and I truly believe the film never could have pulled it off without his gripping performance and high believability factor!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Recommended by Brendan via my list "Movie Request Hotline"
    Thanks for recommending this film! I adore Joseph Gordon-Levitt!

• Alex Austein

★★★ Watched by Alex Austein 22 Nov, 2014

A sturdily assembled neo-noir flick constructed high school kids and a murder plot. The script is written in near direct mimicry of fifties' style hardboiled detective novels. Rian Johnson's direction, meanwhile, lends everything a surreal, sorta sleepy quality. As a fan of films like THE LONG GOODBYE and DOUBLE INDEMNITY, the elements of this film sounded great on paper. But, perhaps BRICK's greatest pitfall is that it's just...boring. Overlong at 110 minutes, it manages to work well with a low…

• Jacob C-S

★★★★ Watched by Jacob C-S 17 Nov, 2014

A stylish and intriguing high-school noir that reminded me of Alan Parker's Bugsy Malone, where ages and scenarios are swapped around and you just go with it.
    It's a very good debut feature from Rian Johnson with a great performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

• Crim

★★★★½ Watched by Crim 17 Nov, 2014 1

Excellent. Great idea, script, great directing.

• sarahbrisson

★★★★½ Watched by sarahbrisson 16 Nov, 2014

I think this is should be the tone/feel for every high school drama- noir. The tension is magic, some of the shots are unbelievable and i love the depth that has been taken with high school characters, who usually are just written off as the stereotypes that are easiest to slot them in.

• Elwood Jones

★★★★★ Added by Elwood Jones

As Featured on MBDS Showcase #3

mbds.podomatic.com/entry/2014-11-01T13_10_38-07_00

• Sam Blackman

★★★★ Watched by Sam Blackman 31 Oct, 2014 2

I've never quite seen a film like Brick. An homage to film noir that takes place in a high school setting, Brick runs the risk of being overwrought and silly, but manages to exceed all expectations, and delivers a thrilling and intriguing viewing experience.

Written, directed and edited by Rian Johnson, Brick is an exceptionally well-crafted film. Though it withholds an enormous amount of information until the final moments, Johnson's screenplay, populated by an array of interesting characters and dialogue…

• Blots

★★★½ Rewatched by Blots 24 Oct, 2014

This is the ‘first feature’ textbook, at least when it comes to production design. Rian Johnson’s low-budget alternate world built over corners of Southern California mirrors what high school students do in real life; they transform and elevate banal spaces like parking lots and shopping malls by projecting and living out their dramas because they have no other choice. Like Johnson, they're limited by circumstance, at least until they finish school.

Johnson’s camera is nimble but deeply neurotic, which makes…

• Alex Watson

★★★★★ Added by Alex Watson

This movie was so damn amazing. It was so well put together too, especially considering the budget.

• Jacob Gehman

★★★★½ Watched by Jacob Gehman 11 Nov, 2012

Flawed, yet still stunning, Brick feels like Encyclopedia Brown meets Traffic. Except the characters are high school kids playing grown-up, which lends an additional uncomfortable layer to all the talk of heroin and violence. Maybe it's a testament to my own flaws, but these are characters that, even with the highly stylized filter, I connect with. Especially loner-slash-lover-slash-detective Brendan. I maaaay have added an extra half-star for the frequent screen time given to the gorgeous Nora Zehetner.

• Nathan Smith

Watched by Nathan Smith 16 Oct, 2014

It's Film Noir, Charlie Brown!

• Harrison Miller

★★★★½ Rewatched by Harrison Miller 15 Oct, 2014

Writing a paper on this film for my cinema studies class, so I'll post that when I finish it. But damn, this film gets better with repeated viewings. I'm going to watch it a couple more times, so we will see what juicy details I can scrounge up.