• lolomcfloflo

★★★★½ Watched by lolomcfloflo 02 May, 2015

bitches always be getting you involved in some crazy shit

• moviemanwill

★★★★½ Added by moviemanwill

A major film for high school me.

• JohnAllegretti

Rewatched by JohnAllegretti 10 May, 2014

Owned - Blu-Ray

• wildestpenfield

★★★★ Added by wildestpenfield

Yeah, a bit filmstudenty showoffy, but in an audacious and well-crafted way. Ultimately, the only thing keeping this from true greatness is that it falls into the same trap as too many of the noirs it tries to copy, meaning the plot just falls to bits by the end. It's certainly a whole flight of steps up from Gordon-Levitt's TV gig though.

• JohnAllegretti

Watched by JohnAllegretti 29 Sep, 2012

Netflix

• Hannah Schmuck

★★★★ Watched by Hannah Schmuck 20 Apr, 2015

The first 45 minutes were tough to get through. There was a lot of overdramatic teenagers (imagine that) that made the whole thing seem ridiculous, almost mocking. The toneless dialogue didn't do anything for me either. However, at the hour mark, things really picked up and it was fantastic. JGL really blew me away as a young star, and I enjoyed his brooding (yet emotional) character very much.
    At times, some details were really exaggerated to the point of annoyance…

• Steve G.

★★★★ Watched by Steve G. 18 Apr, 2015 2

Springcrime - The April & May Project

It's always a pleasure to revisit hazy, sun-bleached California and pop down the odd storm drain for a crime tale.

This is something I've talked about loads in the years I've been writing on Letterboxd. Yet looking at the detractors when it comes to Brick, it seems these elements were an issue for many. As was the fact that this was heavily derived from similarly set crime films from the past. Because it's been…

• trevorhollen

★★★★★ Rewatched by trevorhollen 16 Apr, 2015

The Pin: You read Tolkien?
    Brendan Frye: What?
    The Pin: You know, the Hobbit books?
    Brendan Frye: Yeah.
    The Pin: His descriptions of things are really good. He makes you wanna be there.

• Lucas

★★★★★ Rewatched by Lucas 07 Apr, 2015

This is a fantastic film noir set in a high school, probably the best thing is the writing such a great blend of high school antics and a mystery. The acting is also incredible, this has grown to one of my favorite mystery films of all time.

• froward

★★★★½ Watched by froward 27 Mar, 2015

Finally got around to watching Brick for the first time this weekend. While I was correct that I'd have to actually pay attention while watching (a lot of fast-talkin' wise guys), that should not have been such a deterrent for putting off this movie as long as I have.

JGL delivers a great performance, the movie is great from a technical standpoint and the blending of film noir elements with a high school setting works a lot better than it…

• Bennett Malcolmson

Watched by Bennett Malcolmson 05 Apr, 2015

Brick is director Rian Johnson's debut film and was a helluva start for a promising career. Johnson is a really interesting director and is starting to cut out a path as an auteur of sorts. From what I've seen he is an effective and efficient film maker. His work on Breaking Bad produced the series most inspiring episodes and Looper is a great piece of sci-fi film making. All that being said, Brick is a brilliant first foray into feature…

• Daph Bajas

★★★½ Rewatched by Daph Bajas 03 Mar, 2015

Must have overpraised this before, but Johnson's debut is a study in overstudy: the noirish pick-up where almost exactly one would expect from a cinephile himself. Cautious in giving away clues, and great actor's direction. B