• Michael Colpitts

★★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Colpitts 25 Aug, 2015

Rian Johnson's explosive debut could've fallen apart in the hands of a lesser filmmaker, but its Raymond Chandler-esque dialogue sings under the direction and writing of Johnson, and the fantastic cast nails it.

• Bastiaan

★★★½ Watched by Bastiaan 23 Aug, 2015

3.45 stars

• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 06 Sep, 2013

A stylish, non-stop neo-noir with great characters and a fine performance by Gordon-Levitt, serving as both an homage and a send-up of the genre.

• Sara Jean

★★★★★ Watched by Sara Jean 23 Aug, 2015 5

Film noir set in high school? Sign me up! Seriously though, I was really caught off guard by this. The music, the cinematography, everything. They really nailed it.

• Thomas Wishloff

★★★★★ Rewatched by Thomas Wishloff 22 Aug, 2015

Gets better every time.

• Béa

★★★★ Watched by Béa 22 Aug, 2015

Really cool, captivating neo noir film. I love the way that Johnson made sure every element in this film was beautifully noir. Acting was fabulous and story was believable which was thanks to excellent dialog. Really enjoyable film!

• Tymikol

★★★★★ Watched by Tymikol 19 Aug, 2015 3

I tried watching "Brick" a few months back, I was tired and kept falling asleep. Not to mention the film just wasn't pulling me in, so I shut it off. Still, for some reason, last night, I felt the urge to give BRICK a fair shake.

This time I was well rested, and knew for the most part what to expect.

JGL plays a loner teen who is compelled to plunge into the criminal underworld of his california high school…

• Brian Stack

★★★★★ Added by Brian Stack

As Brendan Frye (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) investigates the death of his ex-girlfriend (Emilie de Ravin), he uncovers a wicked plot of deception which places him in the middle of a power struggle between a local drug dealer, The Pin (Lukas Haas), and his enforcer, Tug.

Lukas Haas gives a fine supporting performance and Emilie de Ravin does her best work since getting off the island, but the reason to watch is Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Already well-known for his work as Tommy Solomon,…

• J.W. Hendricks

★★★★★ Added by J.W. Hendricks

Before you start this movie, turn the "color" setting all the way down and watch this in black and white. Thank me later.

• CartoonSA

★★ Watched by CartoonSA 27 Jul, 2015

Noir meets high school? A bad idea waiting for somewhere to happen. Cudos for being different and having some lovely cinematography and production design.

• Not Ignatiy Vishnevetsky

Added by Not Ignatiy Vishnevetsky

The logline for BRICK is that it's like one of those god-awful John Hughes movies played dead straight, a high school clique story conceived as terse neo-noir. It's been accused of being a calling card film (which it probably is), but it's one of the finest films to ever belong to that unfashionable category. There are the usual trappings of a calling card: the film school compositions, the endless fade-ins, an over-use of shallow depth-of-field, a high concept, vintage-store production…

• lstamp

★★½ Watched by lstamp 10 Aug, 2015 3

I've been meaning to watch this for awhile so I'm glad I finally got around to it. Unfortunately I didn't walk away loving this like Looper, but I still appreciated the ambition.