• Philip

★★★★ Watched by Philip 31 Aug, 2014

A near classic exercise in style over substance that almost transcends the genre. One thing that's really impressive about Johnson's work is even if a scene doesn't work emotionally or narratively, it always works technically. His masterpiece is right around the corner.

• Barbara Henry

★★★★★ Added by Barbara Henry

I just saw MALTESE FALCON for the umpteenth time yesterday, one day before I watched BRICK. So the references to Bogie's film jumped out at me -- like the "long-short, long-short" signal, and calling the treacherous female partner "angel" while explaining how he set her up for justice. But rather than distracting from the complex story, these shout-outs added greatly to the mood of nouveau noir, as well as to the over-the-top goofiness of a high-drama 1940s-style story placed on…

• Nathan Rabin

★★★★ Rewatched by Nathan Rabin 28 Aug, 2014

A thickily wicket, this un finsta be.

• Goodwin

★★½ Watched by Goodwin 21 Aug, 2014

Promising debut (fulfilled with "Looper") has some nice things in it, but the misguided attempt to bring noir to high school ultimately feels rather pointless. There is little real wit in the film and the numerous film quotations are so heavy-handed and the genre's conventions followed so slavishly that there are no surprises either. Might have been better served to have gone full "Bugsy Malone" as a satire, or an adult drama, either period a la "Miller's Crossing", or contemporary like "Red Rock West". Existing treatment, neither fish nor fowl, is unsatisfying on any level.

• Jessica

★★★ Watched by Jessica 19 Aug, 2014

A very odd/interesting film that was not at all what I was expecting. It's a weird idea but the film completely ran with it and most importantly, pulled it off.

Fun cast of characters and the girl who played Kara was absolutely gorgeous!

• Devon Torrey Bryant

★★★ Added by Devon Torrey Bryant

A very strange little film. I definitely liked it, and was carried along by the plot, but seriously why do these modern day high school students talk like The Maltese Falcon as written by James Ellroy? Slightly off-putting. Still, good work from JG-L.

• Simon Curry

★★★★ Watched by Simon Curry 07 Aug, 2014

A Film Noir classic for the modern age.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic as the modern day reincarnation of the classic detectives of the golden age of Noir. Everything about this film is a deliberate throw back to these old world films and for the most part it works well.

Worth watching for sure.

• jlwbrinson

★★★★★ Added by jlwbrinson

Rian Johnson's first film was a gem. Who could ever spend six years of their life trying to get $500k in funding for a film that mixes film noir and high school.

Johnson took a chance by casting Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I think it took courage on both their parts to do the movie, and both benefited not only in terms of this movie, but I also think this movie was the break-out movie for both. Gordon-Levitt is incredible, his portrayal…

• Matt VC

★★★★½ Added by Matt VC

Quite a creative low budget film noir, a bit on the campy side (a table lamp in a car, really?), but that's part of its charm. Good performance from JGL.

• Jason Kaiser

Watched by Jason Kaiser 01 Aug, 2014

In basketball a brick is a shot that is so poorly executed that it banks off the backboard or rim with great force, often creating a loud thud or clang. It is through this lens that Brick is an aptly titled film. Not sure exactly what this film is supposed to be, but it is poorly executed. This is a difficult one to get through. I never cared about any of the characters. I was happy that the film was…

• DylanDuarte

★★½ Added by DylanDuarte

I went into Brick having heard nothing but great things. That's far from the ideal way to watch something and I'm sure it didn't help my feeling underwhelmed. I appreciated the way Rian Johnson incorporated noir elements into a high school setting in such a blatant fashion. It certainly made Brick unique, but I never connected with the story enough to care.

• yureegasven