• McLefty

★★★★ Watched by McLefty 18 Nov, 2015

Loved this but feel like I would love it more a second time around

• Zach B

★★★½ Watched by Zach B 18 Nov, 2015

A cool concept that felt a bit gimmicky, but worked? I could definitely see how it strived to be a modern noir, but there’s something about films relying on other films that’s off-putting. At times it seemed unoriginal. Aside from those few problems, it was overall compelling and well shot. The sound design was pretty great. There was some over/cheesy acting, but that happens when you can’t get superstar actors. It was for sure a great effort from a first time director.

• kenalien

★★½ Rewatched by kenalien 16 Nov, 2015

second attempt at watching this, since all my movie friends think so highly of it. my impression had not changed: i get the gimmick, but it doesn't get further than that gimmick, for me.

• Justin Benson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Justin Benson 10 Oct, 2015

This is what would happen if Veronica Mars went full on Film Noir. Still Rian Johnson's best film.

• Totenkindly

★★★★ Watched by Totenkindly 14 Nov, 2015

Rian Johnson's nour-ish directorial debut, which he tried to get studio support for over a number of years and then raised the funds himself through friends and family. The movie doesn't look like it was only made for half a million dollars.

(It also shows the power of persistence if you have the skill to back it up; two more movies later, plus a few episodes of Breaking Bad and short films, and Johnson is now helping pen and directing…

• Rumsey Taylor

★★★★½ Rewatched by Rumsey Taylor 08 Nov, 2015 1

A pastiche of such high order that it shouldn’t be disqualified as an accomplished film noir in its own right. But I imagine this hyperbole has much to do with not having read the Dashiell Hammett stories from which it’s scrupulously drawn.

• suk a dog dik

★★ Watched by suk a dog dik 09 Nov, 2015

i hate noah segan so fucking much

• Jade

★★★★ Watched by Jade 08 Oct, 2015

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. Such an idiosyncratic little neo-noir. Also, I'm not much for JGL usually, but he was reeeeeeeeally good as a weird, hard-boiled P.I. of a teen.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★★ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• HannibalChew

★★★★ Watched by HannibalChew 26 Oct, 2015

Thankfully, almost all the directorial debuts that I’ve watched recently are surprisingly good.

When I heard that Rian Johnson was going to direct some of the new Star Wars movies, I became kinda interested in his work; who is this guy that got a gig this big? Looper was good, not amazing, but for a movie shot on a 30mil. Budget it looked like it cost three times more. Brick seemed interesting, but I wasn’t in a rush to see…

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★★ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 28 Oct, 2015

Delightfully clever

• Mathias Axberg

★★★½ Watched by Mathias Axberg 28 Oct, 2015

+ Love the concept.

- Bites off more than it can chew, grows a bit too big towards the end. Would have preferred it more small scale, with the plotpoints more in line with the high-school aesthetic; less dead bodies, less drug war.