• Johnny Pickbourne

★★★★ Rewatched by Johnny Pickbourne 03 Sep, 2014

Very nice twist on the noir genre, with a clever plot.

Thought 'The Pin's' character was hilarious but didn't think that JGL suited the lead character. His melancholy demeanour was depressing in my opinion and lacked the coolness of the typical noir based lead character.

• AvenueDave

★★★½ Watched by AvenueDave 09 Sep, 2014

A teenage loner pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.

Movie #123

My 2 Cents: Interesting story that differentiates itself from others by using a 1940s feel because of the language used. Different and good. 3.5/5.

(3.5/5) - Good story, fine acting provides decent entertainment return on investment. Would recommend to family members, even distant cousins.

IMDB: 7.5/10
    Rotten Tomatoes: 80% (Critics)
    Rotten Tomatoes: 86% (Audience)

• waynewebb

★★★★ Watched by waynewebb 09 Sep, 2014

Another technically brilliant but not quite satisfying film. The merging of the Big Sleep, Bogart, Film Noir and High School movie obsessions with thinking the world at that age is adult, works incredibly well. the language though irritates, feels Shakespearean by way of A Clockwork Orange and maybe some Whedon and still manages to annoy.

The Noir denouement and the hard done protagonist show JG Levitt to be a talent beyond the recognition he gets and I can forgive him the Dark Knight Rises if he makes films like this and Looper with Rian Johnson.

• Chrisowski

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chrisowski 08 Sep, 2014 2

They don't get much better then this, original and stylish. Like slowly smoking a cigarette, draw by draw it hooks you.

This is a modern take on a Hard-Boiled Noir set in, and around a California high school and it's students, who possess all the character troupes from a Dashiell Hammett novel.

The films starts off by introducing us to the character played by Gordon-Levitt, Brendan, who receives a note in his locker containing a location and time. Turns out…

• Philip

★★★★ Watched by Philip 31 Aug, 2014

A near classic exercise in style over substance that almost transcends the genre. One thing that's really impressive about Johnson's work is even if a scene doesn't work emotionally or narratively, it always works technically. His masterpiece is right around the corner.

• Barbara Henry

★★★★★ Added by Barbara Henry

I just saw MALTESE FALCON for the umpteenth time yesterday, one day before I watched BRICK. So the references to Bogie's film jumped out at me -- like the "long-short, long-short" signal, and calling the treacherous female partner "angel" while explaining how he set her up for justice. But rather than distracting from the complex story, these shout-outs added greatly to the mood of nouveau noir, as well as to the over-the-top goofiness of a high-drama 1940s-style story placed on…

• Nathan Rabin

★★★★ Rewatched by Nathan Rabin 28 Aug, 2014

A thickily wicket, this un finsta be.

• Goodwin

★★½ Watched by Goodwin 21 Aug, 2014

Promising debut (fulfilled with "Looper") has some nice things in it, but the misguided attempt to bring noir to high school ultimately feels rather pointless. There is little real wit in the film and the numerous film quotations are so heavy-handed and the genre's conventions followed so slavishly that there are no surprises either. Might have been better served to have gone full "Bugsy Malone" as a satire, or an adult drama, either period a la "Miller's Crossing", or contemporary like "Red Rock West". Existing treatment, neither fish nor fowl, is unsatisfying on any level.

• Jessica

★★★ Watched by Jessica 19 Aug, 2014

A very odd/interesting film that was not at all what I was expecting. It's a weird idea but the film completely ran with it and most importantly, pulled it off.

Fun cast of characters and the girl who played Kara was absolutely gorgeous!

• Devon Torrey Bryant

★★★ Added by Devon Torrey Bryant

A very strange little film. I definitely liked it, and was carried along by the plot, but seriously why do these modern day high school students talk like The Maltese Falcon as written by James Ellroy? Slightly off-putting. Still, good work from JG-L.

• Simon Curry

★★★★ Watched by Simon Curry 07 Aug, 2014

A Film Noir classic for the modern age.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic as the modern day reincarnation of the classic detectives of the golden age of Noir. Everything about this film is a deliberate throw back to these old world films and for the most part it works well.

Worth watching for sure.

• jlwbrinson

★★★★★ Added by jlwbrinson

Rian Johnson's first film was a gem. Who could ever spend six years of their life trying to get $500k in funding for a film that mixes film noir and high school.

Johnson took a chance by casting Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I think it took courage on both their parts to do the movie, and both benefited not only in terms of this movie, but I also think this movie was the break-out movie for both. Gordon-Levitt is incredible, his portrayal…