• Ballabriggs

Watched by Ballabriggs 01 May, 2016

Painfully dull.

• HotDonkeyBear

★★★★ Watched by HotDonkeyBear 30 Apr, 2016

Noir'ish mumblecore in the best possible way.

Ryan Johnson's debut impresses in its richness of tone and boldness in context. The world building aspect of Brick is something we would see again, transposed into time travel and science fiction in Looper but it is this first feature that keeps truer to the self imposed rules and characterisation of the feature.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Lukas Haas are harmoniously balanced as contemporary gumshoe and enigmatic crime boss. It's just a shame that…

• Wildfox

★★★★★ Rewatched by Wildfox 01 May, 2016

Tba.

• Drakefic

★★★★★ Added by Drakefic

ABSTRACT: Rian Johnson's Brick is so novel and entrancing, it feels like the first noir film ever made, with style altogether unlike anything that's come before.

REVIEW:
    Brick is a dialogue-wealthy stylistic triumph about a high school senior who will stop at nothing to solve the killing of his lost love, even if solving it kills him, or worse. It's Sam Spade by way of John Hughes, with the visual starkness of Roger Deakins.

Brick feels like it sprung from…

• Bill Baker

★★★★½ Watched by Bill Baker 29 Apr, 2016

Beautifully done neo-noir, mash-up of John Hughes and John Huston, teen angst melodrama meets classic noir underworld drama. The recognition that the adolescent world view is the same mysterious, shadowy constantly shifting landscape that Bogart and Mitchum and Lizbeth Scott and Gloria Grahame prowled in the Fifties is brilliantly rendered in the great writing, acting and cinematographyof this picture. Yes, Rian Johnson is what he's cracked up to be

• Craig Dawson

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Dawson 22 Jan, 2016

A teenage loner pushes his way into the underworld of a high school crime ring to investigate the disappearance of his ex-girlfriend.

This was one of the first non-mainstream films I ever saw at the cinema and I've always been a fan since. I hadn't watched it in quite a while and on this rewatch I didn't adore it like a previously did.

JGL is great and having all the teenagers with Noir type dialogue still works. I did find periods where I felt things dragged a little but overall as a debut it is better than most.

• Gremlins Strike Back Film Podcast

Added by Gremlins Strike Back Film Podcast

Besproken in aflevering 003
    (Segment: Stockholm Syndroom)

• Jonathan A. Dailey

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan A. Dailey 26 Apr, 2016

I don't remember high school being like this at all.

Great movie, very clever. Enjoyed every minute of it, once I figure out what the hell was going on.

Beautiful tribute to classic Noir films.

• Jordan Rogers-Smith

★★★½ Watched by Jordan Rogers-Smith 26 Apr, 2016

A unique debut; a mashup of teen drama and noir that shouldn't work but comes together in a strange hybrid. The ridiculous detective dialogue took a while for me to get used to and enjoy but by the end I felt like it didn't amount to much. Worth a watch just to see Gordon-Levitt playing the coolest cucumber out.

• Drew Dahle

★★ Rewatched by Drew Dahle 25 Apr, 2016

Decided to give this another shot after seeing it in the theater a decade ago. I feel like I'm the only the person who doesn't like this movie so there was a good chance I'd missed something before and would come out appreciating it this time around. Not the case. Nothing about this works for me (except for one or two of the pieces of music). Not feeling the conceit, the writing, the editing, the affectation-laden performances and I think…

• Seth Austin

★★★½ Watched by Seth Austin 22 Apr, 2016

[Recommendation: If you enjoyed Double Indemnity (1944)]

I've always had a difficult time buying into the premise of high school students being anything beyond dumb kids. Maybe it's just the school I attended, or maybe even just the various social circles I interacted with at the time. This personality archetype that Brendan embodies, the edgy, too-smart-for-you, counter-cultural loner, is so familiar to me and why I have such a hard time seeing anything other than socially awkward teen.

Before tenth…