• Chris

★★★½ Watched by Chris 17 Apr, 2014

Refreshing take on the noir film's and novel's of the 1920's and 1930's that was visually and audibly interesting as well. I liked all the unusual camera angles, often focusing on shoes or shooting upwards at the characters.
    One shot of the football field with all the birds flying off at once was especially memorable to me. The sound was designed very immersing as well, most notably in the foot chase sequence with the all the shoe noises.
    Definite viewing recommendation, though I would have been lost without subtitles - not only is the slang very weird, characters also mumble all the time.

• eugenen

★★★★★ Rewatched by eugenen 11 Apr, 2014

The since-rising fortunes of Johnson and Gordon-Levitt haven't reduced this film one bit. I'm convinced, more and more, that it's one of *the* films of the 2000s.

• tejohr

★★★½ Watched by tejohr 12 Apr, 2014 2

Klasična noir pliča, ali smještena u high school svijet se na prvu učini vrlo neobičnim, no ubrzo se dobro smjesti u tom okruženju, izvuče iz njega neku posebnu notu i postane interesantan, unatog budžetu od ispod pol milje i vremenu snimanja manjem od mjesec dana. Za razliku od redateljevog nedavnog Loopera, ovaj prvijenac je čak pametno napisan i uz posebne dijaloge, izvrsnog Levitta, zanimljivu kameru i dobar dodatak humora, jasno je zašto danas ima kultan status.

• Gawronski

★★★★½ Added by Gawronski

don't be a dick, watch this film.

• gingerjew

★★★★ Added by gingerjew

Features the most sophisticated speaking high schoolers I have ever encountered.

• Al

★★★★ Added by Al

It's genius.

• Viktor Prentovski

★★½ Watched by Viktor Prentovski 06 Apr, 2014 3

I tend to like detective movies. I really love high school teenage movies. So, I should love Brick, right? Um... No.
    Brick is an original movie. The acting by Joseph Gordon Levitt is really good. However, Brick is hard to follow or care for. I cannot pinpoint exactly what is wrong with it, but it's really dull. The plot and the characters are bad. Maybe it's the school setting. If the characters were adults and the movie was not set in high-school, then maybe it would have worked.

• Madhav

★★★★½ Watched by Madhav 06 Apr, 2014

a masterpiece.

• monte75

★★★★ Added by monte75

As I often do with movies, I watched this in two sittings. As I watched during the first sitting mostly I though "huh?" Then I talked to someone that told me to think about the movie in terms of 40's noir. DUH! That helped frame it up. Interesting story, interesting angle, great noirish dialogue. I definitely recommend checking this movie out. It also went a long way towards convincing me that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the next great actor. I am not quite there yet, but I'm getting there.

• Bryan Colley

★★★ Added by Bryan Colley

Vintage film noir set in a high school. It's not a great movie, but it's clever, and pretty impressive for a movie made on a Mac. The biggest shortcoming is a weak cast, who never get beyond high school kids pretending to be film noir adults. At first it seems like part of the gimmick, but in the end it just hinders the movie from being great. It does show what any one of us could do if we set…

• Cityzen Kano

★★★★ Watched by Cityzen Kano 19 Mar, 2014 2

It's not often we get to see a debut film that is made with such verve, one that truly stands out daring to be so unique. As a whole it is very much a film that delivers style over any meaningful content but what style it turns out to be. This fast talking, sharply edited modern noir appears to constantly challenge itself scene after scene, seeing if it can continue to raise expectations.

The details of the plot are almost…

• David

★★★½ Added by David

Based on its premise I think it takes itself a little too seriously, but it's worth watching because of its style and clever take on the noir films of the past.