• Ed Glendenning

★★★★ Rewatched by Ed Glendenning 27 Jan, 2015

A sophisticated blend of sub-genres festooned with razor-sharp dialogue.

• Victor Krause

★★★★½ Watched by Victor Krause 18 Jan, 2015

Reminder: excellent movies can be made on the cheap. Script, skill, and competence can't be bought.

• Bradley

★★★★ Watched by Bradley 11 Jan, 2015

Brick is a wonderfully retro feeling mystery noir style film. It is an excellent debut for Rian Johnson and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is an excellent lead. It's really smart and works well with it's small budget, almost feeling like a lost film from a decade ago.

• bree1981

★★★★ Rewatched by bree1981 17 Jan, 2015 1

Superb directional debut from Rian Johnson, its a strange bend of film noir and high school movie with a cast of odd-ball characters and a script full of wit and fast paced dialogue. Even though this is nothing new the movie feels fresh because its two genre's that haven't really been meshed before.
    Joseph Gordon Levitt excels as the bullish high school student who gets dragged into a murky world of dope running and double crossing when he finds his…

• Rory M

★★★½ Watched by Rory M 12 Jan, 2015

Really shouldn't work but it somehow just does. Who would have thought that a Noir film with high school children be so fascinating and engrossing.

JGL did seem to want to fight everyone and everything though, seriously I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd just started punching his car towards the end of the film.

• Tim Lawrence

★★★★½ Added by Tim Lawrence

Plays its potentially gimmicky premise perfectly, resulting in a delightfully clever genre mashup that's unfailingly fun to watch.

• damug

★★★½ Watched by damug 08 Jan, 2015

A good noir movie.

• Jason Bellamy

★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Bellamy 06 Jan, 2015

One thing about BRICK:

"I don't want you to come kicking in my homeroom door."

I'm still a little confused as to how and when Rian Johnson started being regarded as a cinematic genius. But BRICK is genius. No argument there.

I remember walking out of the theater the first time I saw it and hearing the guy behind me tell his date that BRICK was "like Dashiell Hammett for high school," which is right on the money, except he…

• Andreas Yagami

★★★★★ Added by Andreas Yagami

An incredible indie movie about love, regret, crime and treason that come over a young highschool student who desperately searches for his disappeared ex-girlfriend. A masterpiece of the noir scene.

• Leonardo501

★★½ Watched by Leonardo501 07 Jan, 2015

It's bad enough that the screenwriter for Brick is in thrall to the film noirs of the distant past, where yards of the scripts were mouthed out by Humphry Bogart in a trenchcoat, at a rate where it was nigh impossible to keep pace with him. But here, we have proceedings further obscured by the use of stylized lingo that further turns this 'detective story' into an unpleasant slog.

• Keyser_Soze420

★★★★★ Added by Keyser_Soze420

"The film draws heavily in plot, characterization, and dialogue from hardboiled classics, especially from Dashiell Hammett. The title refers to a block of heroin, compressed roughly to the size and shape of a brick. (...)

The film has come to be regarded as a cult classic."

• Corey Hiscocks

★★★★½ Rewatched by Corey Hiscocks 18 Dec, 2014

In taking itself a lot less seriously than I remember, Brick is now a lot better than I remember. It now strikes me as a really creative work of problem solving: it's rare to see a film so restricted by budget and genre limitations rise to such heights. It even contributes a few truly spectacular scenes to the gumshoe canon.