• Andrew R.

★★ Added by Andrew R.

At least this doesn't make fun of stutterers.

• Amelia

★★★ Watched by Amelia 07 Jul, 2016

Things I liked about this film: the star power, Robert Taylor is one of the most gorgeous men to ever grace this earth, he's adorable. I love Eleanor Powell; she was such an amazing dancer and her character was adorable. Una Merkel, Sid Silvers, and Buddy & Velma Ebsen I love them all. Yeah, Robert Taylor doesn't have the most amazing voice but I enjoyed him singing in the beginning of the film and at the end. I loved some of…

• washington

★★★½ Watched by washington 09 May, 2016

Nothing special and the snoring guy goes on way to long and should not have been reprised, but otherwise it's a fun fluffy little thing you'd never expect to be nominated for best picture but are thankful when it happens. It's funny and goofy with a lovely Eleanor Powell performance, we were damned when her Kelly pairing fell through, and a slimy in the funnest fashion Jack Benny which is really all it needs.

• hugoball49

★★★½ Watched by hugoball49 27 Feb, 2016

Starts off very strongly, then eventually tones down to something that is still moderately enjoyable throughout.

You are my lucky star.

• dadgumblah

★★★★½ Added by dadgumblah

Fine musical starring Eleanor Powell, Robert Taylor, Jack Benny, and Una Merkel. Taylor is a broadway musical producer who needs backing for his new show and is financed by June Knight, who is very unscrupulous and has romantic designs on Taylor in exchange for her money. Powell is an old friend of Taylor who comes from the same hometown and whom he doesn't recognize at first, which irks her. But they get together and he has romantic feelings which bothers…

• ToTheMovies

★★★ Watched by ToTheMovies 02 Feb, 2016

Good

View

• tipsfromchip

★★★ Watched by tipsfromchip 04 Dec, 2015

The reason to see this movie can be summed up in two words: Eleanor Powell. Who's that, you ask? I was right there with you as I watched this. She's a fantastic dancer, especially tap. She also does a dead-on impersonation of Katherine Hepburn at one point that is a comic highlight. I looked her up afterwards to find out why I didn't know more about her even though I've seen my fair share of 1930s and 1940s movies. It turns out she got married and stopped working in the early 1940s. That's too bad for us.

• Daniel PG Simpson

Watched by Daniel PG Simpson 07 Sep, 2015

The Broadway Melody is one of the worst Best Picture winners of all-time and as such I was really dreading this "sequel" which was also nominated for the Oscar. The good news is this film is better than the original. There's a bit more plot here and the filmmaking doesn't feel as awkward as the original, which was made at the dawn of sound cinema. The bad news is Broadway Melody of 1936 is still awful. The story feels like…

• Christina

★★★ Watched by Christina 11 Jan, 2015

The second "Broadway Melody" movie although the movies are not related.

Good: The dancing is fabulous from Eleanor Powell to Buddy Ebsen, foreshadowing his future Disney connection in a cute Mickey Mouse sweater. The comedy bit about different types of snores is pretty funny.
    Bad: The story is not great, as with all these formula musicals, but that does not impact the enjoyment.
    Ha: Jack Benny sure gets hit in the face a lot.

"Go down to the ocean and pull a wave over your head!"

• SJHoneywell

★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell 2

Watch this for the joy
    Of Eleanor Powell. She
    Taps like Fred Astaire.

1001plus.blogspot.com/2014/12/eleanor-powell.html

• Monica Pallotta

½ Watched by Monica Pallotta 06 Mar, 2014

it was a good plot and it had so much potential but it literally sunk during the second act. the ending was the worst i've seen in a while. not worth my time

• Edwin Davies

★★★½ Watched by Edwin Davies 12 Apr, 2014

Fun, inventively staged musical comedy that manages to nicely balance its elaborate performances with a slightly thin, but effective central story of backstage intrigue and deceit.